The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+6
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirfredperry
James100
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:30 pm

And we're back Very Happy
SURREY HAVE NAMED A THIRTEEN-MAN SQUAD FOR THE FIRST MATCH OF THE 2017 SUMMER – A SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP CLASH AGAINST WARWICKSHIRE AT THE KIA OVAL.
Both Mark Stoneman and Scott Borthwick are set to make their County Championship debuts for the club, with Sri Lankan legend Kumar Sangakkara also included in a Surrey squad for the first time this season.
There is also a wealth of choice in seam bowling options with five quick bowlers – Tom Curran, Sam Curran, Mark Footitt, Stuart Meaker and Jade Dernbach – all vying for a spot in the final eleven.
There is no place in the squad for Arun Harinath, Ollie Pope,Matt Dunn or Amar virdi
Full Surrey Squad:
Gareth Batty (captain)
Zafar Ansari
Scott Borthwick
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Jade Dernbach
Ben Foakes (WK)
Mark Footitt
Stuart Meaker
Kumar Sangakkara
Dominic Sibley
Mark Stoneman
The big decision will be will the captain step down for this one?
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Thu 06 Apr 2017, 5:24 pm

Cracking start, JimBob. Thanks as ever.

To the list of players not making the squad you can also add Ravi Rampaul. Remember he had 2 or 3 fivefers early on last season.

Of those in this squad, I suspect Dernbach will miss out. Then one of Batty, Ansari and Meaker. It's well documented that Batty would be on drinks duty if I was choosing but I think he'll play. I'll suggest Ansari to also sit it out.

Warks have named a 15 man squad. Some names I don't recognise but some old favourites - Bell, Trott, Clarke, Patel and most of all my man 'Ronnie'. They won't be a pushover.

Going tomorrow. Sandwiches about to be made - the excitement never starts at Guildford Towers! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS WARWICKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 06 Apr 2017, 9:19 pm

Thanks, Jimbob - the season begins here! 

Sibley has been in good and consistent form in the warmup games, so I reckon he'll play.  

I'm just wondering what form Sam Curran is in at the moment - I recollect that on tour he was short of runs. Outside possibility that he may also be in the mix to miss out - tho' if he is in any sort of form that does give the batting lineup a better balance.

We've had a very dry winter and spring - so it's conceivable that spinners may get more of a look in early season that is sometimes the case.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 9:20 pm

Agree with Guildford. I'd pick Batty and Dernbach to miss out, though expect it will be Dernbach and Ansari. Wouldn't be too upset by that, so long as we don't go in with only three seamers

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:27 am

I'm also heading for The Oval. Sandwiches made. Sweaters packed.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:48 am

Sir Fred - I'll look out for you wearing your Harry Kane shirt. Wink

Meanwhile, in today's Surrey Ad Spills tips Dernbach to play. He did do well in the pre-season friendlies.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Apr 2017, 8:51 am

Batty and dernbach should sit out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:28 am

Forecast has gradually back pedalled on amount of cloud today. So, looks unlikely that bad light will be an issue.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:52 am

Zaf and Meaks left out.

Warks elect to bowl.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:04 am

Do not like the selection decisions
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:54 am

55 - 0 solid start by Burns and StoneageMan. The latter just hit Ronnie Barker for three 4s in the over.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 07 Apr 2017, 12:26 pm

StongeageMan registers first 50 of the cc season. clap   Surrey onto 100 - 0.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Apr 2017, 1:08 pm

133-0 at lunch
I fear we've peaked early
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 07 Apr 2017, 1:30 pm

A very fine start by Surrey.  clap clap

Patel reined in the scoring rate towards the end of the morning - but unusually Surrey didn't appear to have a brain fade the moment he marked out his run up.  Was fully expecting someone to be stumped off Patel's last ball before lunch!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Apr 2017, 1:49 pm

The occasional unconvincing shot (Burns wasn't in control of the 6 that took him to 50) but generally Rory and Rocky have looked as good as the score suggests. Could still go pear shaped as we all know but very encouraging at this stage.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri 07 Apr 2017, 2:00 pm

Greetings everyone....how I'd love to be at The Oval today...but sadly work dictates....what a great start by the lads....and especially Stoneham....

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Apr 2017, 3:11 pm

Century on dayboo for stoneman
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 07 Apr 2017, 3:14 pm

Afternoon Chichester!  Great start at Surrey for Stoneman.  clap clap  Scoring rate slowed down considerably since lunch - but at 201 - 1 it's still an excellent base on which to build.

First batting point of season.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 07 Apr 2017, 3:57 pm

239 - 2 at tea. Hard fought session in which Warks bowling improved considerably.  Stoneman still there on 129*.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:04 pm

Afternoon chaps not a bad start Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:06 pm

That was a harder session but still ours. Rocky defending when he needs to (and the bowling was better in the afternoon) but severe on anything wide of off. Borthwick never looked fully at ease, probably no surprise he was out shortly before tea and even less of a surprise I didn't see it as I was buying a pint of excellent Shere Drop at the time! Sanga looking the class act he is with one delightful straight drive and then blocking Patel for all his worth.

Need to make this excellent start count and not get careless in the final session coming up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:11 pm

PS Can you guys get radio commentary? Doesn't appear available in the ground which is annoying. Adding to the frustration for some others is that only one scoreboard is working! Cheers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:15 pm

I listened briefly shortly before tea - but, as per normal when I switch on, Surrey lost a wicket.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:28 pm

2nd batting point Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Apr 2017, 4:47 pm

Sanga looking as if he means business.

Sorry if that's an almost inevitable jinx.

PS Thanks, Corporal, for wirelesss update.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 07 Apr 2017, 5:54 pm

Surrey more or less becalmed with only 19 runs (and a wicket) off last 10 overs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri 07 Apr 2017, 6:55 pm

A slow down at the end, but what a good day for Surrey...should get 4 points for batting and hope to bat Warwickshire out of the game... may be a tiny tiny bit of revenge for last September?

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:09 pm

Hullo everyone, how nice to be back after the winter break. Sorry to see SonofBoris miss out but pleased to see the Caveman start with a Daddy ton.

That's some squad we've got if you add  king LeRoy, Zaf, JadeD, Meaker, Harinath and Ravioli into the mix. Kind of makes me wonder how our club captain - splendid fellow and club servant that he undoubtedly is - squeaked into this XI Whistle

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:12 pm

If Sanga gets going in the morning we may have a shot at all batting points - but we're likely to be in a strong position. Will be interested to get those who were there's thoughts on the pitch - seemed a strange decision for Warks to bowl first on a lovely day, with Patel in the side (who would likely benefit bowling most in the 4th innings?)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:52 pm

Stoneman known as rocky anyone know the reason why?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:25 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Stoneman known as rocky anyone know the reason why?

Hi JimBob - all to do with rock and stones, sorry to disappoint you if you were hoping he was the body double for Sly Stallone in the later Rocky films. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:06 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:If Sanga gets going in the morning we may have a shot at all batting points - but we're likely to be in a strong position. Will be interested to get those who were there's thoughts on the pitch - seemed a strange decision for Warks to bowl first on a lovely day, with Patel in the side (who would likely benefit bowling most in the 4th innings?)

Bell got it badly wrong. That's his view now according to the cricinfo report. It was also the view of most of the old gits (amongst whom by comparison, I'm young and cheerful! Very Happy ) at the ground when he made his choice. Weather conditions suited batting and the track (I saw it up close at lunchtime) looked good - a few tiny bits of green but generally brownish and completely smooth with no hint of any cracks.

All I can guess is that if Bell thought the wicket was going to give help to the bowlers, it would be most likely to do so first thing. To be fair and even though I'm biased in his favour, Barker started beautifully - just around or slightly outside off stump. If a wicket had fallen then, I suppose it might have been a different story but that didn't happen. Barker fell away in his 4th over (3 boundaries from Burns) whilst the other seamers were out of sorts throughout the morning. By lunch, we were well on top and even though the Bears battled hard in the last 2 sessions, they never changed that.

As said earlier, Stoneman mixed defence and attack astutely. Perfect debut. Burns did what Burns does - looked at home, made some runs and then got out before making a lot of runs. Borthwick never settled but I won't judge him on one innings. Sanga not only bats but runs supremely - even at his age and with nothing left to prove, always looking for the quick single and to convert a one into a two. Pure class and a great example. Disappointed today by Sibley - his sole aim appeared to be not to get out and we lost momentum as a result.

We're in a good place but I wouldn't get carried away at this stage. We'll surely end up with a (very) decent score tomorrow but taking 20 wickets is going to be a challenge.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 08 Apr 2017, 8:33 am

Was at The Oval yesterday. How many times do you hear (deluded) captains say "We're going to have a bowl as we think it'll do a bit first thing". Well, Bell can repent at leisure as he may still be in the field at 3pm today.
A lovely day, straw-coloured pitch (in early April?), quick outfield. And Warwickshire still chose to bowl first.
Stoneman looked solid, but the bowling was steady at best. I was less impressed with the ground. Inaudible announcements at the Vauxhall end, pricey beer and a scoreboard on the blink (with too-small numbers/letters even when it is working).
More grumbles. No concessions for OAPs and how can they justify a ground admission rise from £15 to £20 this season? Apart from all that, a nice day out.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Apr 2017, 8:39 am

sirfredperry wrote:Was at The Oval yesterday. How many times do you hear (deluded) captains say "We're going to have a bowl as we think it'll do a bit first thing". Well, Bell can repent at leisure as he may still be in the field at 3pm today.
 A lovely day, straw-coloured pitch (in early April?), quick outfield. And Warwickshire still chose to bowl first.
  Stoneman looked solid, but the bowling was steady at best. I was less impressed with the ground. Inaudible announcements at the Vauxhall end, pricey beer and a scoreboard on the blink (with too-small numbers/letters even when it is working).
  More grumbles. No concessions for OAPs and how can they justify a ground admission rise from £15 to £20 this season? Apart from all that, a nice day out.

At a members' shindig in the week and in response to continuing complaints about the public address system, one of the club's suits said it works very well but only when the ground is empty! Shocked Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:14 pm

Leisurely partnership this morning from Sanga and Sibley. After 25 overs together they were still going at 2 an over. Sibley has now lifted his strike rate up to just above 30 with a few boundaries. Sanga falls just now for 71.

Surrey seemed happy to settle for 4 batting points, while also keeping Warks down to 1 bowling point.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

All good and well to settle for 4 batting points with first dig on a good track provided this translates into 23 points by Monday night.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:31 pm

At the Oval again. Sibley solid which may turn out to be useful in the context of this game but some way from getting an IPL contract!

Shame Sanga's gone. He looked as if he would really have pushed on had he still been there after lunch. Foakes not holding back though and already into double figures.

Currently 392/4 with 30 mins to lunch. Should be looking for 500+ from here. That would be top notch but I repeat that getting 20 wickets won't be a piece of cake.

Hannon-Dalby and Clarke both bowling well for the Bears who continue to battle.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 08 Apr 2017, 1:22 pm

Afternoon all, here's to an optimistic start to the season!  Ale

It's an excellent platform to build from. 405 - 4

Sounds like an excellent innings by Stoneman yesterday, very well paced. I hope that a consistent and experienced opening partner for Burns sees Third Degree develop further.

Sibley has such talent but he needs to develop a means to score runs against tight bowling. Especially when he doesn't have pace on the ball to work with. Patel has strangled him today and it's halted the Surrey momentum. He is built to be an opener with that preference of pace on the ball and refusal to give his wicket away!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 08 Apr 2017, 3:32 pm

Hmm ... not necessarily the afternoon we had in mind: Surrey's suspiciously long looking tail sees us lose last 6 for 49, then Warks get off to a solid start mad

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 08 Apr 2017, 3:47 pm

All in all the latter parts of Surrey's innings sound rather painful. But 450 is still a good score.  Full marks to Burns and Stoneman for scoring briskly yesterday morning when the runs were on offer. Warks off to a steady start although Sam Curran strikes to remove Mellor.  All the other cc games in both divs are way more advanced than Surrey's. The key here seems to be to keep things very tight and hope to just winkle a batman out every now and again.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 08 Apr 2017, 3:53 pm

Yay! Footitt dismissed Trott and Bell both for ducks in a single over! Shocked Shocked

....and in his following over he traps Hain, also for a duck.  Three impressive scalps there. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sat 08 Apr 2017, 4:23 pm

39/4

If Footit can spend a year bowling like he did at the end of last season, he could be getting a plane to Australia this Winter.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 08 Apr 2017, 4:47 pm

Footitt really is on fire! Porterfield and now Rikki Clarke gone as well - yet another batsman to register a duck! Shocked Shocked clap clap clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 08 Apr 2017, 4:48 pm

Warks last 10 overs - 5 wickets for 11 runs! Very Happy Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Apr 2017, 4:56 pm

Footitt now has a five wicket haul in each of his last four championship games
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sat 08 Apr 2017, 4:56 pm

Mark Footitt take a bow! 6-6

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 08 Apr 2017, 5:06 pm

48 - 8 Footitt (again) and now Dernbach getting in on the act.

Warks last 10 overs: 9 runs for 5 wickets. Very Happy Shocked clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 08 Apr 2017, 5:17 pm

61 - 9 as Sam Curran takes his second wicket Yahoo

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 08 Apr 2017, 5:56 pm

91 all out. Very good performance on what appeared to be a good batting track. Hats off to Footitt - and to the close catchers who appear to have been practising hard pre-season.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sat 08 Apr 2017, 6:05 pm

[quote="guildfordbat"

Currently 392/4 with 30 mins to lunch. Should be looking for 500+ from here. That would be top notch but I repeat that getting 20 wickets won't be a piece of cake.

.  [/quote]

Sorry GB couldn't resist quoting that Yahoo Yahoo job only half done but what a day for the lads

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next