The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 18 May 2017, 4:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

SURREY HAVE NAMED A 13 MAN SQUAD FOR TOMORROW’S DERBY GAME AGAINST MIDDLESEX IN THE RETURN OF THE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP.
The fixture sees Amar Virdi included in the Surrey senior side for the first time this season. Virdi, a Surrey Academy graduate, was awarded a full professional contract in August 2016. The 18-year-old spinner has been involved with the England Young Lions, and has represented Surrey since U12 level..
There is also a spot for Ravi Rampaul in a first-class squad for the first time this summer. Rampaul missed out for the first three games of the season but has recently performed well in Surrey’s successful Royal London One Day Cup group matches.
Sadly Jade Dernbach still hasn't recovered from his back injury Crying or Very sad
FULL SURREY SQUAD
Gareth Batty (captain)
Scott Borthwick
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Ben Foakes
Mark Footitt
Stuart Meaker
Ravi Rampaul
Kumar Sangakkara
Dominic Sibley
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
Probably ravioli and virdi to miss out for me
Important game for Sibley needs a score with his holiness praying for a chance.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 12:21 pm

250 - 5 and lead reaches 150.  Slightly odd interlude with Finn and Rayner bowling in tandem.  I'm guessing that Middlesex may have delayed taking new ball so that they could have two goes with it if necessary, before and after lunch.  In meantime Foakes and Curran put together 40 runs off 17 overs to keep Surrey's faint hope alight.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS MIDDLESEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 May 2017, 12:37 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:(Without looking it up) I think the answer might be the Baron von Harinath?

You would be correct - it was his lordship the Baron himself
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 12:38 pm

We're keeping our heads and wickets atm. A serious test of character and concentration. Not out of the woods by any means yet though - the next 2 balls could bring 2 wickets!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 12:52 pm

Curran and Foakes scoring at a fair old rate - 47 off the last 10 overs.

Foakes 50* clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 12:55 pm

Sam Curran 51* clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 May 2017, 12:59 pm

Good time for baby Curran to find his batting form again!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon 22 May 2017, 1:02 pm

Rayner's just got Sam Curran. Would be a good time for Tom Curran to hit form.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 May 2017, 1:03 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Good time for baby Curran to find his batting form again!

Sorry censored
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 1:19 pm

This game refuses to die. Middlesex back in the hunt.

As James suggests, a lot probably resting on Tom Curran.

I can see Middlesex needing something like 240 off 42. I'm sure they would go for that, at least to begin with.

Strap yourselves in for a bumpy afternoon, folks! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 1:42 pm

Still over 60 overs to go - and I think Middlesex rattled through their overs this morning so there may be more available than the minimum shown.  Draw not yet a realistic option - and only starts to feature as a slight outside possibility if Surrey can bat at least another 15++ overs.  Realistically we can't depend on Footitt to survive a whole over - so we've really only got three wickets in hand!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 1:52 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Still over 60 overs to go - and I think Middlesex rattled through their overs this morning so there may be more available than the minimum shown.  Draw not yet a realistic option - and only starts to feature as a slight outside possibility if Surrey can bat at least another 15++ overs.  Realistically we can't depend on Footitt to survive a whole over - so we've really only got three wickets in hand!

Corporal - sound advice to the troops there if I may say so. Wink

I actually think we need to bat for a minimum of 20 overs after lunch. Remember we'll then lose 2 overs for the change of innings. That should only allow Middlesex about 40 overs and they'll hopefully have to go at a run a ball or even a tad more. That won't be easy for them with leg side deliveries allowed etc.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 2:15 pm

22 useful runs from Tom Curran before perishing to Rayner - but he didn't last long enough. Current equation is Middlesex would need 220 at four an over. That's likely to be fairly straightforward.  Need Foakes to take a fair amount of the strike to eat up some overs....  *Foakes takes single off first ball of the next over* Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 2:19 pm

And Foakes takes a single off the first ball of the next over as well....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 2:23 pm

Corporal - I'm ok about Foakes taking singles atm. We obviously don't want to lose wickets but it also helps if we can edge further ahead. Once the 8th wicket falls, then bring down the drawbridge!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 2:28 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Corporal - I'm ok about Foakes taking singles atm. We obviously don't want to lose wickets but it also helps if we can edge further ahead. Once the 8th wicket falls, then bring down the drawbridge!
Fair point - Batty is at least highly experienced.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 2:33 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Good time for baby Curran to find his batting form again!

Sorry censored
mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 2:36 pm

The curse of the Last over before lunch strikes again Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 May 2017, 2:40 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Corporal - I'm ok about Foakes taking singles atm. We obviously don't want to lose wickets but it also helps if we can edge further ahead. Once the 8th wicket falls, then bring down the drawbridge!
Fair point - Batty is at least highly experienced.

Batty is also pretty capable with the willow. If Foakes is doing that with Footitt then I'll accept the point!! Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 3:01 pm

Foakes takes a single off the first ball to leave Meaker on strike Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 3:05 pm

And Meaker goes to the last ball of the over FOAKES steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 May 2017, 3:13 pm

242 off 40 overs is the situation.

We should be ok...a couple of early wickets will be needed though.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 3:13 pm

Meantime been busy posting on wrong thread (in advance of the wicket) that taking first ball of over to leave Meaker facing five was a bad decision. Multiple facepalms in order! And of course we are now all out! picard picard picard

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 3:18 pm

Milan 2.2 overs 2 wkts picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 3:24 pm

I'm sure Middlesex will go for it. They have nothing to lose - shut up shop if they lose 2 or 3 quickly. Toblerone Jones should go up the order - he can sure strike it hard.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 May 2017, 3:36 pm

Middlesex going for the slow and steady approach so far.....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 4:14 pm

219 needed off 30 with 9 wickets in hand.

Are they getting ready for the heave ho or are they just going to let it fizzle out?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 4:35 pm

193 needed off 25 with 8 lives left.

They're not out of it yet.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 4:52 pm

Middlesex on course for a easy win now furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 5:00 pm

I wouldn't panic yet, JimBob.

Unlike one day games, there's a lot less restrictions on what the bowling side can do in Championship cricket.

That said, we've allowed them a couple more overs than I wanted.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 5:05 pm

172 needed off 17. Still 8 lives left.

We could do with a wicket to stop these two getting any momentum.

I'm not with JimBob who's phoning the Samaritans but I'm a tad anxious ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 5:07 pm

Laugh start the car Guildford Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 5:10 pm

BORTHWICK ???!!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 5:20 pm

Looking like Batty trying to tempt them Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 May 2017, 5:21 pm

We're absolutely fine here lads don't fret
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 5:22 pm

Match drawn got to be happy with that after losing the king early today

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 22 May 2017, 5:34 pm

It was difficult to see what Middlesex were doing there. If they weren't prepared to go for it, why didn't they shake hands on the draw earlier?

Anyway, we did very well to avoid defeat today. We should all join the Corporal (his shout Wink ) for a drink in the mess but let's not celebrate too much. We're not firing on all cylinders atm. It's good that we can save games but we are going to need to start winning some again.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 5:37 pm

Very pleased with the draw.  Great battling effort by Foakes and Sam Curran today (and of course Sanga yesterday).  And very handy contributions from Tom Curran and Batty.  clap clap

Must admit I'm surprised Middlesex didn't go for the chase, but I guess a couple of early wickets Surrey got, as required by Olly, would have tipped the balance if they were in any doubt.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 5:40 pm

Feels more like mug mug and  Whisky Whisky Whisky are in order rather than  Bubbly Bubbly but feel free.  Btw I haven't cancelled Guildford's tab! Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 22 May 2017, 8:49 pm

Sanga has just announced he's retiring from first class cricket at the end of the season.  He'll be an immense loss for Surrey.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 22 May 2017, 9:29 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Sanga has just announced he's retiring from first class cricket at the end of the season.  He'll be an immense loss for Surrey.
Crying or Very sad notworthy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2