The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?

+8
dyrewolfe
Dorothy_Mantooth
eirebilly
Liam_Main
packofwolves
guildfordbat
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Corporalhumblebucket
12 posters

Go down

"Walk on girls": is this harmless fun or retrograde sexism?

Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?  Vote_lcap56%Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?  Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 9 ]
Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?  Vote_lcap44%Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?  Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 16

Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?  Empty Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Surrey vs Essex in the T20 on Monday June 13 at the Kia Oval. The Surrey website says "..in a world first, batsmen will [be?] accompanied by ‘walk on girls’ as they walk to the wicket, adding a touch of glamour to an already crowd pleasing format of the game."

A bit of extra context about the match - there will be some form of half time competition between two famous darts players, each accompanied by a fan of one of the two teams.

Chris Schofield is quoted as saying: "I’ve never walked out to bat alongside a walk on girl before but I’m sure it’s an experience that many of the lads will be very much looking forward to."

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?  Empty Re: Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 am

Haha thats amazing. Even better if the girls are form the womens team.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?  Empty Re: Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism?

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:08 am

Thought for the day:

He who sups with the Devil should have a long spoon.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:42 pm

hahaha! I look forward to many glazed vacant looks and rather distracted innings from the Surrey batsmen then! (more so than normal i mean!)

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 pm

It can only ever be seen as harmless fun, they do it at the darts and nobody complains....(do they?!)

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:53 pm

As the game is against Essex i take it the walk on Girls will all be in white stilettos? Smile

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:18 pm

And the same colour as Essex' kit? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm

packofwolves wrote:As the game is against Essex i take it the walk on Girls will all be in white stilettos? Smile
Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 pm

I just think it's a bit of fun if the girls don't mind it then no one else should Smile
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:26 am

honestly though any county that can afford to employ dirtybirds to walk around the pitch better not be on welfare from th ECB
Do they honestly think this will do anything to boost the profit and viewing experience? couldnt the money be better spent on free pies or something?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:03 am

There should be a third option. Pointless wasye of time. I cant see how this will be a crowd puller at all.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:22 am

Suppose it will get them a bit of publicity in the run up to the game, so from that point of view its an understandable move from the club.

T20 does appear to not hold quite as much of an interest in the Publics eye as the bean counters at the counties first throught. Their insistance into cramming too much of it into the domestic calander has worked against them.

Play 3 or 4 home games a season and the cricket sells its self, start dragging it out to 8 or 9 and you start needing gimmicks to fill the seats. Sometimes less is more!

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm with eirebilly.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it sexist, but it is utterly pointless. I'm sure it won't help the players focus on the match and its not really going to improve the spectacle that much for the punters.

They'd have been better off using the money spent hiring the dolly birds, to jazz up the half-time entertainment.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:I'm with eirebilly.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it sexist, but it is utterly pointless. I'm sure it won't help the players focus on the match and its not really going to improve the spectacle that much for the punters.

They'd have been better off using the money spent hiring the dolly birds, to jazz up the half-time entertainment.

Yeah maybe get some pole dancers

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone's at the match it would be interesting to hear what - if anything - the walk on girls added to the evening's entertainment.

Also need to check the scorecard - will Chris Schofield take his eye off the ball and get a golden duck Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Just read a report that the walk on girls have been cancelled in the face of adverse reactions from Surrey supporters! Don't know whether that's true or just a rumour. Perhaps it was all just a publicity stunt ....

, 🤦

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:29 am

There was no option for pointless...

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, the plan was abandoned....Not Surrey's finest hour
tomato tomato to whoever came up with the idea!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 pm

"Walk on girls: harmless fun or retrograde sexism? "

Neither! Only for old Pervs only!

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:49 am

It really would have been a serious waste of time. I cant see how on Earth it could have seen as a possible sucess.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:39 am

I just genuinely don't understand the point of it. Ridiculous.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:26 am

Frankly, my old Dad isn't just turning in his grave, he's spinning in his crypt at around 1200 rpm and if hooked up to the National Grid would power a small town.

Appalling idea.

Why not just ditch the cricket and have strippers?

Cowshot

Back to top Go down