The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PPV boxing accelerating at pace in UK

+4
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
Rodney
8 posters

Go down

PPV boxing accelerating at pace in UK  Empty PPV boxing accelerating at pace in UK

Post by Rodney Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:27 am

Listened to a podcast with Eddie Hearn (whom I'm beginning to warm to over the last 6 months) he mentions the UK fans could have a minimum of 6 PPV events to pay out before the end of the year closes out, the UK is a highly saturated market now and although 2017 has been a excellent year for boxing so far, how far before the bubble bursts and the punter has enough ? I remember in the 90s a lot of US fights were hardly televised in the UK but it seems they're creeping into a UK PPV market now.

These are the mooted PPV events before year end. As a boxing fan how many are you likely to purchase ?

Eubank vs Abraham (ITV)
McGregor vs Mayweather (Highly probable Sky)
Canelo v GGG (Boxnation) apparently this will be a PPV event which is pretty ludicrous even though viewers pay a monthly subscription for a boxing channel.
AJ v Wlad 2 (SBO)
Whyte v Wilder (SBO)
Bellew v Haye 2/Parker (SBO)
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

PPV boxing accelerating at pace in UK  Empty Re: PPV boxing accelerating at pace in UK

Post by Scottrf Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:30 am

I can understand some of them but Eubank vs Abraham and Whyte vs Wilder are ridiculous. Abraham was at his best 8 years ago at middleweight.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

PPV boxing accelerating at pace in UK  Empty Re: PPV boxing accelerating at pace in UK

Post by Rodney Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:33 am

I agree Scott, I thought Bellew v Haye was ridiculous but apparently this nearly done 900k buys, Hearn suggests the Kovalev v Ward PPV was a flop and poor numbers here in the UK, which is an absolute shame when a good boxing match struggles to sell in its own right.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:35 am

Rodney wrote:I agree Scott, I thought Bellew v Haye was ridiculous but apparently this nearly done 900k buys,  Hearn suggests the Kovalev v Ward PPV was a flop and poor numbers here in the UK, which is an absolute shame when a good boxing match struggles to sell in its own right.
Names sell rather than fights. And an early morning fight without a Brit is never going to sell here.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:38 am

Canelo v GGG...Is really the only PPV fight..Both top 10 fighters..

Joshua v Wlad 2 is next..But really it's a novice champ vs a 42 year old decent ex champ that lost to the average Fury...But it was exciting like Froch v Groves so I imagine I'll raid red's handbag.

Won't ever pay for Bellew..Eubank or a stupid gimmick fight that stains our great sport.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:39 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Canelo v GGG...Is really the only PPV fight..Both top 10 fighters..
Wont sell in the UK though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Canelo v GGG...Is really the only PPV fight..Both top 10 fighters..

Joshua v Wlad 2 is next..But really it's a novice champ vs a 42 year  old decent ex champ that lost to the average Fury...But it was exciting like Froch v Groves so I imagine I'll raid red's handbag.

Won't ever pay for Bellew..Eubank or a stupid gimmick fight that stains our great sport.

yup ggg canelo and josh wlad 2 i'd pay for, the others i wouldn't even consider... though scott is right not many brits will pay to get out of bed to watch ggg canelo

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 21 Jun 2017, 3:11 pm

Rodney wrote:Listened to a podcast with Eddie Hearn (whom I'm beginning to warm to over the last 6 months) he mentions the UK fans could have a minimum of 6 PPV events to pay out before the end of the year closes out, the UK is a highly saturated market now and although 2017 has been a excellent year for boxing so far, how far before the bubble bursts and the punter has enough ? I remember in the 90s a lot of US fights were hardly televised in the UK but it seems they're creeping into a UK PPV market now.

These are the mooted PPV events before year end. As a boxing fan how many are you likely to purchase ?

Eubank vs Abraham (ITV)
McGregor vs Mayweather (Highly probable Sky)
Canelo v GGG (Boxnation) apparently this will be a PPV event which is pretty ludicrous even though viewers pay a monthly subscription for a boxing channel.
AJ v Wlad 2 (SBO)
Whyte v Wilder (SBO)
Bellew v Haye 2/Parker (SBO)

Eubank vs Abraham (ITV) - Abraham is still around?! Typical Eubank defence.
McGregor vs Mayweather (Highly probable Sky) - NOT WATCHING -FARCE.
Canelo v GGG (Boxnation) apparently this will be a PPV event which is pretty ludicrous even though viewers pay a monthly subscription for a boxing channel - what do you mean?? I dont pay personally for boxnation, i do buy the odd 30 day subscription if a few good fights are on. How much they charging?
AJ v Wlad 2 (SBO) - Id pay for this guaranteed. 1st fight was brilliant. Why wouldnt you pay.
Whyte v Wilder (SBO) - Good scrap that - wont be on box office though will it? Dillian Whyte lost to Joshua and arguably Chisora. Wilder in 6.
Bellew v Haye 2/Parker - Would pay for Bellew vs Parker - think Bellew wins.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 21 Jun 2017, 5:20 pm

If it's any consolation boxnation have said previously than boxnation subscribers won't have to pay the extra ppv on top

Whether they stick to that is another matter

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 21 Jun 2017, 5:36 pm

I'd be pretty stunned if I have to pay for Canelo/Golovkin if I have to pay for it on top of my subscription when already led to believe regular subscribers don't have to pay any extra

If it's ppv does that mean it will be the price of one month's subscription?

Might just have to cancel my subscription if there's an extra charge just buy the odd month here and there when there's something I have to see

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 21 Jun 2017, 5:48 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I'd be pretty stunned if I have to pay for Canelo/Golovkin if I have to pay for it on top of my subscription when already led to believe regular subscribers don't have to pay any extra

If it's ppv does that mean it will be the price of one month's subscription?

Might just have to cancel my subscription if there's an extra charge just buy the odd month here and there when there's something I have to see

Considering their service is very bare for the next 2 months, we are already paying for a whole load of nothing

They better pick up the Manny fight

You should get Boxnation via BT Sport, you get it as part of the channel pack, its like 20 quid for SD I got it for £15 on offer

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 21 Jun 2017, 6:01 pm

I thought Boxnation has been rubbish the last couple of months only thing I watch is Boxing Matters

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 21 Jun 2017, 9:21 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I thought Boxnation has been rubbish the last couple of months only thing I watch is Boxing Matters

Agreed, i cancelled my subscription last week.

They do show some good fights but the content to watch daily is rubbish.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down