The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+5
James100
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 2 Jul 2017 - 17:18

First topic message reminder :

Surrey have named a 14 man squad for the Specsavers County Championship match with Hampshire at the Kia Oval.
Gareth Batty’s side will be without Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara for the game after he split the webbing in his hand in the Royal London One Day Cup final at Lord’s yesterday, Sad Sad Sad whilst pace bowler Ravi Rampaul is also missing with an ankle complaint.
With Sangakkara unavailable, young batsman Ollie Pope is added to the squad.
There is no place in the squad yet again for Jade Dernbach.
Full Surrey Squad
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Ben Foakes (wk)
Mark Footitt
Conor McKerr
Stuart Meaker
Ollie Pope
Jason Roy
Dominic Sibley
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
the loss of kumar is a massive blow Crying or Very sad
Meaker and pope will miss out so it will come down between either of the currans rested so that virdi plays probably TC after the way he bowled yesterday.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 16:45

Sibley's a weird one this year. It's his first chance at a really sustained run, and he's not doing too badly (he'd have the second highest average in the Somerset side (though that probably says more about somerset this season)). It's frustrating though to see him do the hard work and regularly get out on 30, 40, 50, especially given that his strike rate is often under 40.

For the County Championship's youngest ever double centurion, that's not good enough. Important to note that although it seems like he's been around for a while, he's still only 21 and he'll certainly be an important player for Surrey going forward.

James100

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 16:54

I was just about to post about another poor and expensive over from Edwards which should help us get a 4th batting point (thought Hants would make it tougher immediately after tea) and then he get Foakes with the last ball to get the visitors a second bowling point (we only got one).

On Edwards, he was definitely fast yesterday and was about the only seamer to get regular lift out of the wicket. Against Div 2 batsmen, that's probably enough most of the time. However, a canny and skillful operator like Stoneman was able to glide the ball away to the rope whenever it was a touch off line. Edwards might still be useful in mopping up a tail but I suspect it'll be hard work for him against the better batsmen on the county circuit.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 16:57

baby face gone Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 16:57

Curran in - and out - in no time at all for 12. Not sure the situation demanded that approach... Rolling Eyes OK we will presumably get our 4th batting point, but now a real likelihood that we'll be batting again this evening.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 16:58

jimbohammers wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:question for jimbo how the hell does Edwards get in the Hampshire side?

It's a good question jimbob, wouldn't mind knowing the answer myself!
He had a very good season for us 2 years ago in div 2. Then broke his leg last season playing footy in the warm up Rolling Eyes
Think we've given him the chance to try and get back to that form he showed. He's done well in the seconds recently but i am not
convinced.

He's going at 6 an over but gets 2 important wickets Shocked

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 16:58

Almost the same from Edwards! 11 from the next over and then he gets Sam with the last ball.

He must have figures of about 2/30 from his last 3 overs. Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 16:59

150 for third degree clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:00

Burns 150* off 288 balls clap clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:02

4th and final batting point

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:02

At the ground today - Hampshire well on top and bowling nicely. Abbott looks a class above and Crane has been unlucky to only have one wicket to his name. As I type Edwards is bowling a seriously good spell of short pitched bowling, really got his tail up. From a Surrey perspective....

Burns has been magnificent - dropped on 98 which Hants will rue (a tough chance, but should be taken at this level), and now moves to his 150!

Borthwick looked terribly out of nick - before edging a good Abbott ball behind.

Roy was fluent until randomly getting out LBW to Berg. You could hear his roar of frustration in the dressing room from the other side of the ground!

Sibley was ok - dropped on 2 (a similar tough but should be taken chance to Vince), and then had two very good looking LBW shouts turned down off crane - the first one looked out to my eye. Otherwise he looked fine, but then out playing no shot once in. Again falling to go on.

Foakes dismissal was really really poor. Intent on hooking and fell right into the trap from Hants. Not good.

Similar story for Sam Curran's dismissal
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:04

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Curran in - and out - in no time at all for 12.  Not sure the situation demanded that approach... Rolling Eyes OK we will presumably get our 4th batting point, but now a real likelihood that we'll be batting again this evening.

A 4th batting point is worth very little if it contributes to our being defeated. I'll be guided by ''our man at the ground Olly'' as to what actually went on with Sam's innings but on paper it makes poor reading.

PS and Edit: just seen your report, Olly. Many thanks.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:16

Virdi listed to come in after Footitt. If that's right, the ground staff can start pushing the roller out when the next wicket goes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:16

Burns dropped at slip off the bowling of crane

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:19

tc trying to join foakes getting out to the short mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:21

to me it looked like baby face got a good delivery very harsh that olly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:32

Hampshire 7 bonus points surrey 5

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:34

jimbobgooner wrote:to me it looked like baby face got a good delivery very harsh that olly

Not for me mate. He'd already edged one through vacant first slip in the over, he just needed to dig in.

Hants bowlers do look visibly knackered - could be a factor tomorrow
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:37

If Surrey can continue to get a few runs here and there this evening that could make a difference come tomorrow evening if by then we are hanging on by our fingertips after an attritional 5th day.  We're currently 270 behind and so could find that a requirement for Hants to bat again just before the close of day 5 could conceivably make the difference.  

Anyway got to be optimistic!

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:42; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:39

jimbobgooner wrote:Hampshire 7 bonus points surrey 5

Hants will be well hacked off ending up with 12 points to our 10 which will be the case if we can scrap our way to a draw.

Even if we have only 1 wicket left in the shed, we still want to be batting first dig at stumps tonight. Brilliant play from Burns, the innings I've been calling out for from him. clap clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:43

Btw I'm sure Virdi will bat ahead of Footitt.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:48

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:to me it looked like baby face got a good delivery very harsh that olly

Not for me mate. He'd already edged one through vacant first slip in the over, he just needed to dig in.

raspberry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 17:52

Cheers for the report, Olly.

From a hants point of view, Holland has been really underbowled. Not even bowled 10 overs yet. Thought Vince would get a few too, he had a knack of picking up a wicket or two

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 18:32

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:If Surrey can continue to get a few runs here and there this evening that could make a difference come tomorrow evening if by then we are hanging on by our fingertips after an attritional 5th day.  We're currently 270 behind and so could find that a requirement for Hants to bat again just before the close of day 5 could conceivably make the difference.  

An attritional 5th day in this CC match? Shocked Corporal - in your youth, you watched too much on the wireless of Barrington in Tests which overly influences you now. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 18:38

In all the circumstances, a good third day from Surrey and Burns ''playing his A game'' as Alec Stewart would say, eh Olly?! Wink

Certainly a much better close of play score than I feared when Foakes and Sam Curran fell in quick succession.

Believe Burns has been on the field for every second of the three days. Shocked

Olly - thanks for the reports. Helpful and appreciated. thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 19:11

Important partnership at the end there has significantly increased Surrey's chances of coming away with a draw.

Magnificent effort by Burns today. And very useful contributions, not least in terms of time, by Sibley and Tom Curran.

There may be isolated thunderstorms tomorrow, which could interfere in a number of the interestingly poised cc matches.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 19:13

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:If Surrey can continue to get a few runs here and there this evening that could make a difference come tomorrow evening if by then we are hanging on by our fingertips after an attritional 5th day.  We're currently 270 behind and so could find that a requirement for Hants to bat again just before the close of day 5 could conceivably make the difference.  

An attritional 5th day in this CC match? Shocked Corporal - in your youth, you watched too much on the wireless of Barrington in Tests which overly influences you now. Wink

Time to get really worried Guildford will be if I spend 5th day watching cricinfo screen for something to happen! Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 19:38

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

Time to get really worried Guildford will be if I spend 5th day watching cricinfo screen for something to happen! Very Happy

Laugh clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 5 Jul 2017 - 20:01

guildfordbat wrote:In all the circumstances, a good third day from Surrey and Burns ''playing his A game'' as Alec Stewart would say, eh Olly?! Wink

Certainly a much better close of play score than I feared when Foakes and Sam Curran fell in quick succession.

Believe Burns has been on the field for every second of the three days. Shocked

Olly - thanks for the reports. Helpful and appreciated. thumbsup

Burns brought his A+ game! A magnificent watchful knock - solid in defence, and took advantage of the poor balls. Hants will be ruing dropping him on 98 and Sibley on 2 in fairly close proximity. Had those two chances been taken we could be looking at a very different game situation now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 11:37

Tom Curran has passed 1,000 first class runs. clap And reaches 50 clap clap Very valuable innings for the side. 425 - 7 with Burns digging in on 175*

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 12:03

Curran finally falls to the (underbowled?) Holland for 53 - and after partnership of 99 with Burns spanning 37 overs.

Burns on 191*. Can he reach his double century? Virdi batting at no 10 - Burns must be fervently hoping he doesn't have to depend on Footitt.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 12:16

jimbohammers wrote:Cheers for the report, Olly.

From a hants point of view, Holland has been really underbowled. Not even bowled 10 overs yet. Thought Vince would get a few too, he had a knack of picking up a wicket or two

Holland takes 2 quick wickets, 2 beauties as well i might add.... Underbowled!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 12:25

Burns doing well to keep the strike. Moves to 211, well played

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 12:34

Implausibly, Footitt has last 12 balls. Shocked Meanwhile Burns has moved on to 218*

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 12:37

Normal service resumed. Footitt out next ball!

So Burns has carried his bat, scoring 219* and lasting 423 balls. clap clap clap Will he be coming out to bat again in less than 10 mins....?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 12:42

Footitt goes, poor shot but he lasted longer than most of us expected. Brilliant effort from Burns. Vital now that we don't undo all his work. We mustn't lose one wicket, let alone two, before lunch. That would give Hants all to play for.

Massive credit to Hants btw. They've really stuck at it and generally appear to have bowled very well on a totally unhelpful track and in near ideal batting conditions.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 12:50

Stoneman dropped !in the first over!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 13:17

If Burns bats through to end of play he will have been out on the playing area for the entirety of the match! That would be a rare feat...anyway don't want to jump the gun...there is a match to be saved first....If Footit can survive 12 balls it must be a batting paradise!...looking like Somerset and possibly Warwickshire will both win...things will get tighter at the bottom!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 13:26

chichestersurryfan wrote:If Burns bats through to end of play  he will have been out on the playing area for the entirety of the match! That would be a rare feat...anyway don't want to jump the gun...there is a match to be saved first....If Footit can survive 12 balls it must be a batting paradise!...looking like Somerset and possibly Warwickshire will both win...things will get tighter at the bottom!

Laugh Laugh

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 15:28

Holland comes on and takes 2 in his first over - Stoneman then the underperforming Borthwick second ball. Game back on - Burns v Hampshire.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 16:38

borthwick's dismissal picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 16:50

Looks like we'll get the draw, but yet again it has to be said that the club need to be really looking to find the next Martin Bicknell - e.g. someone who will constantly get wickets at the top of the innings and more often that not get 4 or 5 each time. If you look at the averages and bonus points, then we have by far the best batting line-up, but in an 8 team division you have to go to 32nd in the bowling averages to find the first Surrey player. There are 5 Lancs and I think 5 Yorks players above any of ours.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 16:53

match drawn

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 17:00

both of ervine's wkts came off the boot Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 17:57

kingdaveeagle wrote:Looks like we'll get the draw, but yet again it has to be said that the club need to be really looking to find the next Martin Bicknell - e.g. someone who will constantly get wickets at the top of the innings and more often that not get 4 or 5 each time. If you look at the averages and bonus points, then we have by far the best batting line-up, but in an 8 team division you have to go to 32nd in the bowling averages to find the first Surrey player. There are 5 Lancs and I think 5 Yorks players above any of ours.

Echoing King Dave's theme and broadly speaking, good batting will prevent you losing but you need good bowling to win. The individual averages together with 6 draws, 1 win and 1 loss support that. The sole win was the opening match against Warks when Footitt delivered a magnificent performance with the ball (to accompany Stoneman's big ton).

Other than wisden's boys at the top, the table tonight looks pretty cramped. However, we are for the first time this season in the bottom 3 and will need to win again soon to ensure we stay out of the drop zone.

As for this match just gone, an extremely poor cricket wicket (ie the balance between bat and ball was dreadfully wrong by massively favouring the batters) but all credit to Hants for making the utmost of it in their opening dig and then making us scrap to survive. It took a brilliant performance from Burns to ensure that we did.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 20:03

guildfordbat wrote:
kingdaveeagle wrote:Looks like we'll get the draw, but yet again it has to be said that the club need to be really looking to find the next Martin Bicknell - e.g. someone who will constantly get wickets at the top of the innings and more often that not get 4 or 5 each time. If you look at the averages and bonus points, then we have by far the best batting line-up, but in an 8 team division you have to go to 32nd in the bowling averages to find the first Surrey player. There are 5 Lancs and I think 5 Yorks players above any of ours.

Echoing King Dave's theme and broadly speaking, good batting will prevent you losing but you need good bowling to win. The individual averages together with 6 draws, 1 win and 1 loss support that. The sole win was the opening match against Warks when Footitt delivered a magnificent performance with the ball (to accompany Stoneman's big ton).

Other than wisden's boys at the top, the table tonight looks pretty cramped. However, we are for the first time this season in the bottom 3 and will need to win again soon to ensure we stay out of the drop zone.

As for this match just gone, an extremely poor cricket wicket (ie the balance between bat and ball was dreadfully wrong by massively favouring the batters) but all credit to Hants for making the utmost of it in their opening dig and then making us scrap to survive. It took a brilliant performance from Burns to ensure that we did.

Unfortunately this has been the problem for a number of years -we just haven't been able to bowl out sides twice in a match to get the wins our batting has probably deserved. With Sanga going, our batting will be weaker next year so it will be even more important that we get in another strike bowler (wasn't Footitt going to be that person?).

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 20:25

Solid day and draw for Surrey that - I left at tea which proved to be a good decision, as play ended early! After burns/Curran negotiated the first hour the result was never in doubt
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 6 Jul 2017 - 21:26

An expected draw.
Well played to Burns. Flat wicket but still need concentration to bat that long.
Credit to our bowlers for giving it a go.
Good to see you had a good time, Olly

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 7 Jul 2017 - 8:35

Burns - superb effort in concentration. But would echo views of others that this was a really really poor wicket for game of cricket. Didn't even give anything much to spinners as game went on. Crane and Virdi (OK not world beaters) collective bowling figures for match: 89 overs 2 wickets for 357.

Borthwick badly out of form. Couple of minor positives - Tom Curran and Dom Sibley putting together some decent scores.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2