The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Algarve Golf Recommendations

+6
dynamark
SmithersJones
Davie
super_realist
McLaren
George1507
10 posters

Go down

Algarve Golf Recommendations Empty Algarve Golf Recommendations

Post by George1507 Tue 29 Aug 2017, 11:14 am

Hi,

Has anyone got any recommendations for REASONABLY priced courses in the Algarve?

I'm going in mid September, and although I have been before it's been a few years and there seem to be many more courses now.

I'm really not prepared to pay anything above €150 per round, and ideally we'd play in the western Algarve - near Salgados.

Or if there are any discount cards or deals to be had, I'd be grateful for advice.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Algarve Golf Recommendations Empty Re: Algarve Golf Recommendations

Post by McLaren Tue 29 Aug 2017, 5:17 pm

It is a shame no one has responded to this request for recommendations as many people on here have posted about there own experiences in the algarve over the years. 

I played golf on a hotel resort course about 15 years ago and would not recommend it. As a wain  it seemed OK but looking back it was horrible architecture.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 29 Aug 2017, 5:50 pm

Ha ha, Before I even read your comment Mac, I knew you would be mentioning the architecture. Does it not occur to you that people go to such places for the weather, beer, camaraderie, a bit of golf and something different than someone constantly seeking some utopian unachievable, narrowly focussed golf course nirvana as prescribed by some American plank?

I've never been there for golf, but I know a few guys who go every year, there's no shortage of good courses there, even if you and Doak would turn your nose up at it.

Do you never play a course and think that you enjoyed it, no matter how much Doak would rip it to shreds? F**k Doak Mac, and come to your own conclusions on what is fun to play golf on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 29 Aug 2017, 8:56 pm

Bloody hell Mac only 6 hours had passed before you chastise those who have been there for not responding! Some people do work you know!

I saw the message earlier but have never been so had no comment to make - I'm sure George will get plenty of replies and recommendations once those people who actually work for a living have had chance to see the message

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 29 Aug 2017, 9:04 pm

Haven't been since 2012 when I was lucky enough to win the trip so didn't pay. Played the O'Connor at Amendoeira on that trip which was great but I suspect would be 150 or more. Penina is a bit further west and I played that a long time ago and loved it. Still get emails with lots of offers from there so that could be a good one to look at.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 29 Aug 2017, 9:10 pm

Would you be down near Penina and Palmares ? Both decent

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 29 Aug 2017, 10:57 pm

Monte Rei in the East of Algarve is fantastic, but very expensive. Trick is to book their twighlight package, turn up early for lunch and use of practice facilities, and then get 'invited' to start your round early. It's a fabulous course, you will never be better looked after at a golf location, and if it's reachable not to be missed. Long way east, not too far from Spanish border so doesn't work for everyone, but special if you can get there.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:42 pm

May be a bit late to the party. Have been a few times (last weekend in September each time), but I don't know how much any of the courses are or whether it's in "peak" at that point. I don't think any I've been on were €150 including a share in a buggy though. Last couple of times we struggled to get decent tee times as they were all booked up (although that might only be the tee times that the company we used had access to).

Oceanico courses that I've played have been in the main OK, but last time we went they'd suffered in quality of preparation (2014 I think, they may have upped their game again since then. Probably likely to get a decent package on their courses as there are so many of them! They have been rubbish at having buggies available each time we've been though.

Oceanico Old course (Vilamoura) very nice, quite tough had issues on the greens last time we went (presumably not enough sun in between the trees). Very nice to play, quite tight.

Oceanico Laguna and Millenium - OK, a bit take it or leave it for me, but eminently playable with some good holes.

Oceanico O'Connor was brilliant and in superb condition (contrasting the Oceanico Vilamoura courses), but I think it's a pricey one. Haven't played the adjacent Faldo course, but that will likely be in the same condition.

Oceanico Pinhal is I think quite cheap but ridiculously tight tree canopies encroaching both sides of (what I remember to be most) holes. I hated it (but I'm not Doak ( Wink ) particularly hated one hole with a huge tree in the middle of the fairway on the approach which just seemed stupid!

Vila Sol probably quite reasonable, made up of 2 9's from a possible 3. 2 older 9's were a bit scruffy and the new 9 (can't remember any of the names of the 9's) was really tough and tight. New 9 greens were superb, old ones weren't.

Palmeras was really nice (if it's the one I think), had some links holes down on the coast. We played ages ago and I think it's had a new 9 built since we went.

Vale do Lobo Ocean and Royal were excellent, Royal was a bit in and out of housing estates but has an amazing par 3 along the coast. Ocean I found more pleasant to play overall and it flowed better but both were excellent and quite reasonable.

Quinta do Lago (North) was eminently playable, well crafted and in superb condition but the Quintas might be pricey. South is supposed to be amazing (but is definitely expensive) although we haven't been there or the other one, the name of which eludes me.

Salgados was quite watery, but cheap, enjoyable and decent condition.

I'm sure there are a few others I've played but I can't remember them. The Oceanico Victoria is the one the Portuguese open is or was very recently played on and I've heard it is superb, but we never got a chance to go as it was closed in preparation (the open was early or mid October each time we've been there).

If you're staying out that way and don't want to travel to Vilamoura or surrounds I'd consider O'Connor, Faldo and Palmeras for convenience, and take whatever deal you can get. If you are looking for reasonable above cost/convenience (and if my memory serves!!!), I'd personally go back to the Vale do Lobos and possibly Salgados. I think the Quinta do Lagos are possibly the best courses but I think neither convenient or cheap when coming from the O'Connor end.

Interested in hearing what you do and how they were.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:03 pm

I haven't chipped in because I can't recommend any courses in the Algarve. I have been to Vilamoura though and I hated it. Played Oceanico courses as reviewed by Roller above.

Nothing wrong with the courses really, just the set up. Ridiculously slow, too many groups crammed on to the course at the same time, I remember in the middle of our round at Milennium (it might have been another course - it was almost 10 years ago) we arrived at a par 3 to see two groups waiting on the tee, a third walking up the fairway, having just been called up by a fourth group who were now chipping on to the green. All groups were 4 balls... we waited over 40 minutes to tee off, watching these guys hacking it around and shouting and swearing. And then going out in the evening in Vilamoura it's just golf societies in every bar, it's about as classy as Magaluf but everyone was middle aged and there were no women (apart from the strip clubs and brothels which I expect do very well).

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 06 Sep 2017, 8:59 am

Ha ha. Magaluf with pot bellies! The courses weren't as packed as that for us (2016 & 2014 we last went) - I think they may have cut the tee times per hour since Ray's trip, but the bars do still seem to be predominantly golf groups (albeit ours is more lithe, youthful and cultured, ahem).

We did have the Leeds Rhinos Rugby League team (I think) nearby last year so when the telly was turned over without warning to watch whatever game was on we turned indignantly having been watching the football or Ryder Cup and were met by a colossal wall of muscle that appeared from nowhere. Needless to say we watched the rugby! Nice lads though and remarkably quiet and unassuming (although that might just have been my stereotyping being quashed).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 06 Sep 2017, 10:30 am

Thanks everyone. I will give you an update when I get back. Off at the weekend.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 18 Sep 2017, 1:59 pm

OK, back from the Algarve now. Played at -

Boavista - quite enjoyed it. Got a deal for 2 players inc cart at €120. I enjoyed it, there re some tough par 3s and a couple of tough par 4s. The fairways were a bit long, it needed cutting. The greens were pockmarked with loads of pitchmarks, I think the greens staff are struggling to cope with the influx of twice a year golfers. It's all a bit packed in between houses as well.

Salgados - which was in nice condition. It's just so boring though. At least one water hazard on every hole. I've played it before, when it was hard and bouncy, and almost impossible to stop the ball on the fairway on some holes. This time there the fairways were a bit softer and so easier. Still won't bother again though. €70.

Penina - still lovely, although they've been tinkering with it a bit. Enjoyable and a good test of anyone's golf. €100 inc a cart.

Oceanico Victoria - excellent, but expensive. They must have a lot of money there because there were greens staff all over. €120 inc cart.

And finally, with thanks to RollerCoaster, Palmares was the star of the show. Three nines, and we played three times we were so impressed. One nine (don't recall the name now) is a hilly parkland affair, which was good. Numbered 1-9. 10 - 18 was partly parkland, with a couple of small ponds, but it suddenly opens out towards the coast with a par 5 where you stand and smack it off a cliff and then 90 degrees right to a well guarded double green. And finally - the best last - holes 19 - 27 are true links type holes, under a railway bridge. There are three par 5s - one is nearly 600 yards off the whites - with undulating fairways and bunkers and sandy waste areas. The 14th is a par 3 of about 240 yards (playing right into a 20 mph wind) with a sea of spiky gorse stuff on the right. The green is a copy of the 16th at North Berwick. For €60 it is an absolute steal. Like many of the other courses, the greens were a bit pockmarked by inconsiderate golfers, but you can't blame the club for that. Highly recommended.

All in all I enjoyed it, but I think Portugal is going to be vulnerable to the courses in Turkey. They are offering green fees half what you'd pay in Portugal, and a load of huge hotels falling over themselves to offer you a good deal.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 19 Sep 2017, 9:11 am

Glad it was good, I don't remember much about Palmares other than they were building the third 9 when I played and it had some linksy holes.

I'm in a group that goes to Spain or Portugal and occasionally Majorca for a long weekend (this year's is next week, Spain, yay!!!) and another group that always did Portugal (same time of year) but switched to Turkey for the last 3/4 years. Europe generally costs around £700 - £800 plus spends (£500 not unusual) while the boys that go to Turkey say it's £1000 for a full week, all inclusive and the hotels are amazing, as apparently is the golf.

I'd love to give it a go but I'd struggle to get a full week permission.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 19 Sep 2017, 9:51 am

Turkey is dirt cheap this year due to the heightened security risk. One of my mates has been recently and said it was fantastic. He showed me a clip of him teeing off on the roof of the villa at that hole on the Turkish Open course.

The only problem is you need to go for a week. Just cannot justify that until my kids are teenagers... long wait!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 19 Sep 2017, 11:56 am

Similar to me Ray. I get a periodic bollocking for the one long weekend a year, but it's what I did before I met the missus and some things ain't getting no compromise and sunny golly is one of them!

Apparently you can do Turkey for 5 days (a few of the other group I mentioned have done before), but apparently it still costs a week's worth.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 19 Sep 2017, 6:39 pm

I've been fortunate enough to on 4 golf trips to Belek and the courses and hotels are far superior to that which most of Spain, Portugal and Majorca have to offer.

It is just a shame about the heightened security risk though, its nearly getting as bad there as London...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 20 Sep 2017, 9:12 am

BlueCoverman wrote:I've been fortunate enough to on 4 golf trips to Belek and the courses and hotels are far superior to that which most of Spain, Portugal and Majorca have to offer.

It is just a shame about the heightened security risk though, its nearly getting as bad there as London...

And the hotels, golf and weather aren't up to much either

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down