The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club Championships

+14
Maverick
drive4show
Humpyd
Onetoanother
puligny
kwinigolfer
Doon the Water
barragan
graeme
Davie
sharrison01
JPX
LondonJonnyO
MustPuttBetter
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Club Championships - Page 3 Empty Club Championships

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Advice needed!

My Club Championship is this weekend and i'm playing in it for the first time. I'm off 17 and have been grouped with a 5 handicapper and a 9 handicapper

I'm not a nervous person but i've no doubt that i will have a few butterflies come the first tee (or the 10th in this instance!). I'm aware that the course will be set up at it's most difficult and that i probably shouldn't pick up any gimmies Whistle

Other than that, is there any good advice that anyone can give to ensure beyond any doubt that the trophy is in my grasp at the end of Sunday?? Yahoo
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Club Championships - Page 3 Empty Re: Club Championships

Post by Davie Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:28 pm

Well I've made the decision to play in the CC this weekend.

After the total blowout on the front nine last week (though thankfully restored *some* pride on the back nine), plus still being a little unsure of my long standing ankle problem, I was on the point of withdrawing but I've decided to go for it.

18 holes Saturday with the top gross and nett scores going through to 36 holes on Sunday. Last year it only took something like +6 nett to qualify for the second day so I feel confident I've got that in me. Only worry is getting through 54 holes in two days, should I qualify (managed it no problem last year but that was before the ankle problem)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

Davie

Best of luck. Have you invested in any kind of ankle strap to give you a bit of support? I bought a very good elasticated one that you just wrap round then it velcro's into place at the desired pressure. Got it from JJB, only cost 3 or 4 quid. I won't play football or run without it now after snapping ankle ligaments about 4 years ago.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:47 pm

No I haven't found one suitable D4S - but that sounds like the kind of thing that would at least give me some confidence. Touching wood, the last couple of weeks have been the best it's been for about 9 months now so I'm hopeful it will be OK but it's still at the back of my mind

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

Sounds like a quick trip to your local sports emporium after work today then Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

Im onton my broker for shares in JJB Wink

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 25 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

Well the good news is my ankle stood up to the ordeal - the bad news is my golf didn't Sad

Missed the (nett) cut for tomorrow by a couple of shots but TBH didn't really deserve to make it. Shame really as I fancied playing tomorrow given the weather forecast! (I love playing in hot weather)

Some outrageous scores though in the handicap section of the tournament. CSS and par both 70s, there were some good gross scores from the low handicappers though I don't think anyone broke par (low h/c was 3 I think) - but in the nett competition there was a 58(!!!) and 60 and a 61

The 58 was a gross 82 from a 24 h/c (cut 6 shots I believe though the numbers don't add up to me) and the nett 60 was a 73 from a 13 h/c

My putting mostly let me down with far too many 3 putts and a couple of bunkers where I had Hamlet moments cost my my place tomorrow.

Still it was a very enjoyable day - just a shame I can't play tomorrow now!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:32 pm

Davie wrote:but in the nett competition there was a 58(!!!) and 60 and a 61
Shocking, serious questions should be asked if someone comes in with scores like that in a club championship.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 27 Aug 2012, 4:50 pm

Last 16 match tomorrow. Never made the scratch knockout stages before and am really looking forward to being involved. Up against a 4 handicapper so am the slight underdog having just been cut from 7 - 5 at the weekend. Hope i can make a competitive match out of it and perhaps make the last 8.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 28 Aug 2012, 8:48 am

Good luck Barra. You must have found a bit of form then, getting from 7 to 5 is a good knock over the weekend.

Play the course not the man etc etc and remember inside every 4 handicapper is a 92 waiting to have a laugh. (Unfortunately the 97 inside me generally comes out for a giggle at the same time!)

Enjoy it.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 29 Aug 2012, 7:44 am

Thanks RC
unfortunately for me not to be. Started off well - just missed out on an eagle on the first but a kick in birdie was enough. Lost the tough 3rd when my opponent holed from 10ft for birdie and i failed to convert my 8footer. Won 4 with another tap in birdie, then traded 5 & 6 with pars enough to win. Loose tee shots cost me 7 , 8 and very nearly nine ( but for a good recovery) so 1 down at the turn , (+2). It was off the cliff from there though - i lost every hole to pars from then on and shook hands on the the 14th. Disappointed with my golf particularly from 11-14, but pleased overall to have got to this stage at my first attempt. Discovered my weekend combined gross score was 5th overall, so that is a big achievement for me that i can walk away with.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 29 Aug 2012, 8:38 am

Good work all things considered, just sounds like you jumped on the bogey train and couldn't get off (I have a season ticket). Front nine sounded quite a good game though.

Bit of experience and next year's is less than 366 days away...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3