The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Joshua any more exciting than Klitschko?

5 posters

Go down

Is Joshua any more exciting than Klitschko? Empty Is Joshua any more exciting than Klitschko?

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:31 am

So the question I want to ask is Joshua more exciting than Klitschko?

Joshua holds an impressive record of 21 victories in 21 fights with 20 KOs but that is the exact same record Klitschko had.

Joshua's most exciting victory (excluding the klitschko fight) was against Whyte which was a decent fight but not one to watch back on youtube.

Joshua's most recent victory against Parker was a very dominant display but hardly exciting and looked like Joshua just didn't search for that Ko and was happy to just win easily, a criticism Klitschko faced in his career.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Is Joshua any more exciting than Klitschko? Empty Re: Is Joshua any more exciting than Klitschko?

Post by AdamT Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:21 pm

Last nights performance was boring, but he won.
Joshua will get exposed some Time soon. Hearn will milk more from him. Also, matchroom have done a fantastic job.

The only slight risk, was an old, over the hill and inactive wlad. It nearly backfired, but AJ cemented his place as the biggest player in the sport after that fight.

Biggest name in the sport, but far from the best.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Is Joshua any more exciting than Klitschko? Empty Re: Is Joshua any more exciting than Klitschko?

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 01 Apr 2018, 3:31 pm

AdamT wrote:Last nights performance was boring, but he won.
Joshua will get exposed some Time soon. Hearn will milk more from him. Also, matchroom have done a fantastic job.

The only slight risk, was an old, over the hill and inactive wlad. It nearly backfired, but AJ cemented his place as the biggest player in the sport after that fight.

Biggest name in the sport, but far from the best.

I hope that you're talking at all weights - because I agree there - but if you just mean heavies, I think you're very far off the mark. The only one to challenge him at the moment (Fury doesn't count as he's not active) is Wilder and that's only because he's crudely dangerous. Of course there are way better fighters at the lower weights but the HW division has always been where the money is, regardless of how bad it can be...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:04 pm

Oh of course all weights.

He's easily 1 or 2 at heavy.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 01 Apr 2018, 7:39 pm

But is he just as 'boring' as Wlad? So many people said the division would get more entertaining when Wlad leaves and all we are left with is Joshua who has all the belts but is involved in seriously boring fights.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 01 Apr 2018, 9:17 pm

He hasn't been exciting in a while.

Too risky to be exciting. Joshua will follow the Lewis, mayweather blueprint. Win first, entertain last.

He has so much to lose. Think of the massive payday's he will receive, if he keeps winning.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Apr 2018, 12:18 pm

Inevitable the excitement decreases. Combination of too much exposure, and the quality of opponent increasing, resulting in less knockouts. Throw in the pressure of maintaining that '0', and the financial rewards he's getting for remaining unbeaten, you can see why people are now questioning him, and his supposed more refrained style. I do think his 'aura' is beginning to wain, the more you see him fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 02 Apr 2018, 12:47 pm

Skill wise Joshua is still a work in progress.  I personally thought his match with Parker was reasonably good - he looked in control and had reasonable foot movement. Only when Parker charged him in the 6th or 7th round did he look a bit clumsy and uncoordinated.   He showed good stamina throughout - there were no rounds were he looked tired.

In his post fight interview he said he felt he had so much more to learn and develop skill-wise but seemed resigned to the fact that he doesn't feel he has time to develop given the rush of his career so far.  He has taken all the opportunities given to him, has got the belts earlier than imagined, and is just trying to keep it all going and riding the wave.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Mon 02 Apr 2018, 7:38 pm

No name Bertie wrote:Skill wise Joshua is still a work in progress.  I personally thought his match with Parker was reasonably good - he looked in control and had reasonable foot movement.  Only when Parker charged him in the 6th or 7th round did he look a bit clumsy and uncoordinated.   He showed good stamina throughout - there were no rounds were he looked tired.

In his post fight interview he said he felt he had so much more to learn and develop skill-wise but seemed resigned to the fact that he doesn't feel he has time to develop given the rush of his career so far.  He has taken all the opportunities given to him, has got the belts earlier than imagined, and is just trying to keep it all going and riding the wave.

That is all very true but he is still boring to watch.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 03 Apr 2018, 12:16 pm

I dont think its a very fair comparison given the different stages in their careers. I think Klitschko had over 30 fights before challenging for a title. Joshua has won 3/4 belts in scarcely 20.

The business end of Klitschkos championship career was essentially fights won using a left jab, a straight right and the clinch. Occassionally a let hook added in.

Joshua has more variety in his punches. He throws uppercuts and will fight on the inside. I dont think hes content to carry clearly overmatched oppoenents pawing away with a jab the was Klitschko did.I would suggest the Parker and Takam fights were quite boring because Joshua hasnt actually developed the ability to break these fighters down yet. He struggled with Parkers back foot boxing. Hes actually fought very few guys that are of sufficient calibre to actually give him a boxing test. He came up very quickly with top billing knocking out sub par opponents pretty easily. Most were not even there to actually fight. So hes been learning on the job under the headlights of massive occassions and huge billings.

Klitschko similarly struggled to break down some of the better opponents he faced (but that was after 16 years as a pro). I also think he was happy to carry overmatched opponents in a way Joshua wouldnt.

The heavyweight division has livened up recently with more personality but the level of talent in it is still very low compared to other divisions and heavyweight divisions pre 2000. Joshua may be top of the pile for now but I think hes still pretty raw and inexperienced. I think if Fury could find the movitivation and conditioning he had against Klitschko (a massive if) then to me it looks like Joshua has not yet developed the tools to solve that puzzle yet judging from what Ive seen in the Parker and Takam fights.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down