The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+2
guildfordbat
James100
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 08 Jun 2018, 3:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Surrey have named a 14-man squad to travel to the Ageas Bowl to face Hampshire in the return of the Specsavers County Championship.
Morne Morkel could be in line for his red ball performance for Surrey  Rolling Eyes  having played the last matches in the Royal London One-Day Cup while fellow seamer Matt Dunn is available again after recovering from a fractured rib.
Batsman Arun Harinath and bowler Mat Pillans are also in the squad and will hope to play their first Specsavers County Championship match of the season.
There is no place in the squad for Gareth Batty.
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (captain)
Scott Borthwick
Rikki Clarke
Sam Curran
Jade Dernbach
Matt Dunn
Ben Foakes
Arun Harinath
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Mat Pillans
Ollie Pope
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi

Have to say disappointed Jacks isn't in the squad as Harinth and Patel have both been in poor form.
So I'll go for Harinath ,Dunn and Pillans to miss out.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Mon 11 Jun 2018, 2:17 pm

Virdi coming on and Morkel coming in this season makes this a really good bowling attack. When TC comes back to replace Dernbach, I'd have thought it's a strong contender for the best in the Championship.

James100

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 2 Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 11 Jun 2018, 2:49 pm

5 needed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 11 Jun 2018, 2:50 pm

make that 4 Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Jun 2018, 2:53 pm

The delivery to get McManus from Morkel is an absolute beauty - definitely check the Surrey twitter feed for it!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 11 Jun 2018, 3:22 pm

3 to go Rikki strikes again
We really miss Sibley Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 11 Jun 2018, 3:41 pm

2 to go

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 11 Jun 2018, 3:41 pm

Corporal - hope the bar is well stocked. Suspect you will have some thirsty customers today! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Jun 2018, 3:53 pm

And Morkel wraps up the final two wickets in quick succession, Surrey win by an innings and 57 runs. A dominant display that!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 11 Jun 2018, 3:55 pm

yessssssssssssssssssssssss what a excellent win Very Happy Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
Corporal its time Ale guinness mug cider RedWine Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 11 Jun 2018, 4:32 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:And Morkel wraps up the final two wickets in quick succession, Surrey win by an innings and 57 runs. A dominant display that!

Dominant - as you say, Olly.

Just about a perfect bowling display across both Hants innings. Very well marshalled by Burns who undoubtedly and rightly got helpful guidance at times from Stewie and MDV. So good and a refreshing change to be able to blow away the opposition's tail. I suspect the other Surrey bowlers gain confidence from Morkel's presence.

The bowlers seem to have been well supported in the field as well. Not least by Foakes who along with his 90 runs had a fine game. That innings in partnership with centurion Burns put on almost 200 which turned the game on its head from when when we were 1/2 before the first over was out! A small bit of praise too for Patel. Only 34 runs and - as JimBob suggested - perhaps daft to get out how and when he did. However, a valuable part played by him in the context of the game. Had he gone straightaway, we would have been massively up against it. We might well have still come back strong but I'm glad we didn't have to find out!

Serious worries remain about Stoneman but it seems he'll get the match against Somerset at Guildford to put things right. We'll not only still be missing Roy and Tom (England ODIs) but also Foakes and Sam (Lions ODIs) then. Some big holes there but that's to think about in a bit, now it's Ale Ale Ale

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 11 Jun 2018, 4:40 pm

Congrats on the win guys, my team in big trouble. The coach never seems interested, lack of fight, batting a shambles etc.. Rolling Eyes

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 11 Jun 2018, 4:47 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Congrats on the win guys, my team in big trouble. The coach never seems interested, lack of fight, batting a shambles etc.. Rolling Eyes
cheers jimbo we feel your pain Hug

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 11 Jun 2018, 5:02 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Congrats on the win guys, my team in big trouble. The coach never seems interested, lack of fight, batting a shambles etc.. Rolling Eyes

Cheers, Jimbo. As you feared before the start, your batting obviously let you down heavily in this one! Weatherley's run out seemed awful. Ah well, onwards and upwards - get Dawson and Northeast out of the sickbay and things should improve. Good luck!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 11 Jun 2018, 5:40 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Serious worries remain about Stoneman but it seems he'll get the match against Somerset at Guildford to put things right. We'll not only still be missing Roy and Tom (England ODIs) but also Foakes and Sam (Lions ODIs) then. Some big holes there  
The Thought of Dernbach, Morkel, Dunn and Virdi in the team you would have feel for the person batting at 7 Laugh Laugh Laugh

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 11 Jun 2018, 5:59 pm

Right. The bar's open! Bubbly Bubbly Whisky Whisky Whisky Whisky guinness guinness guinness Ale Ale Ale Ale That was a highly impressive performance by Surrey!

Really don't think we can pick a team with Dernbach batting at number 8! Erm Erm Pillans might be a serious contender for selection as he can bat a bit. Not sure where Batty is - but if, coincidentally, we get a square turner at Guildford we could go with two spinners. Wink I guess Pope would be the obvious replacement as wicket keeper while Foakes is away.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 11 Jun 2018, 7:42 pm

How about this line up for Guildford?

Burns
Stoneman
Borthwick
Patel
Harinath
Pope (wkt)
Jacks
Clarke
Dernbach
Morkel
Virdi

In the above, Patel takes on the role of 4th seamer.

Batty is an option to come in and most probably replace Jacks (in which case Clarke moves one place up the order).

Dunn and Pillans in reserve for Dernbach.

I'm assuming no new signings although Stewie still has time to pull a rabbit out of the hat!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Jun 2018, 8:05 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:And Morkel wraps up the final two wickets in quick succession, Surrey win by an innings and 57 runs. A dominant display that!

Dominant - as you say, Olly.

Just about a perfect bowling display across both Hants innings. Very well marshalled by Burns who undoubtedly and rightly got helpful guidance at times from Stewie and MDV. So good and a refreshing change to be able to blow away the opposition's tail. I suspect the other Surrey bowlers gain confidence from Morkel's presence.

The bowlers seem to have been well supported in the field as well. Not least by Foakes who along with his 90 runs had a fine game. That innings in partnership with centurion Burns put on almost 200 which turned the game on its head from when when we were 1/2 before the first over was out! A small bit of praise too for Patel. Only 34 runs and - as JimBob suggested - perhaps daft to get out how and when he did. However, a valuable part played by him in the context of the game. Had he gone straightaway, we would have been massively up against it. We might well have still come back strong but I'm glad we didn't have to find out!

Serious worries remain about Stoneman but it seems he'll get the match against Somerset at Guildford to put things right. We'll not only still be missing Roy and Tom (England ODIs) but also Foakes and Sam (Lions ODIs) then. Some big holes there but that's to think about in a bit, now it's Ale Ale Ale

Yes Burns noted in his post match interview he’s very glad to “have Morne on our side, and not be facing him” Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 11 Jun 2018, 9:04 pm

I suppose with team selection we probably do only need 4 front line bowlers on this occasion, as we should have Borthwick, Patel - and perhaps Jacks - who can all bowl. That way we can at least keep the number of batting rabbits down to about three!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2