The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Edinburgh - Pro14 7th Sept

+21
funnyExiledScot
Maine man
Standulstermen
mikey_dragon
Artful_Dodger
EST
BigGee
carpet baboon
LondonTiger
VinceWLB
Pot Hale
George Carlin
IanBru
jimbopip
marty2086
RDW
Pete330v2
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Don Alfonso
The Great Aukster
EWT Spoons
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh - Pro14 7th Sept Empty Ulster vs Edinburgh - Pro14 7th Sept

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 04 Sep 2018, 9:26 am

Ulster vs Edinburgh
Location - KINGSPAN STADIUM
KO - 19.35
TV - Of course.  Prem sports (safe bet)

Last Game
Edinburgh 20 - 32 Ulster

Form:
Only played on game, but based upon that, Ulster - Fantastic, Edinburgh terrible

For some unknown reason Ulster open the campaign with two home games, whereas Edinburgh start with two away games.

Ulster have a new coach, who knows the Scottish players pretty well, so is aware of their strengths and weakness.  Edinburgh were only marginally better than Ulster last season, during which time Ulster had a lot of off field stuff to deal with, not something they'll have to worry about this time round....I hope.

This has home win written all over it.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Wed 05 Sep 2018, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh - Pro14 7th Sept Empty Re: Ulster vs Edinburgh - Pro14 7th Sept

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 04 Sep 2018, 1:17 pm

Last game at Kingspan:
Ulster 16 - 17 Edinburgh

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Edinburgh - Pro14 7th Sept Empty Re: Ulster vs Edinburgh - Pro14 7th Sept

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 04 Sep 2018, 1:32 pm

Ulster have had that Head Coach in place for three weeks. I wouldn’t get too carried away.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 04 Sep 2018, 1:52 pm

Cockerill got his team playing better as last season wore on. A tight away loss to the Ospreys isn't an indication of terrible form. Edinburgh know that Ulster is a major competitor if not THEIR major competitor in this conference so they will be well up for the game and remember how they won it in the last minute in February.

Ulster have more changes to the team this year in conjunction with less overall experience playing together and a coach who has barely been introduced to the players (even the fans don't know some names).

This game has already 'Disappointment and beer' scheduled for Friday @ 9:30 pm in the Ulsterfan's diary...

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 04 Sep 2018, 1:59 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Edinburgh terrible

Thats a very Jimbo assessment of Edinburgh's performance! We weren't that bad at all, a lot of accuracy issues and should've done better than we did but I'd expect us to be a lot sharper this week. I'd still have Ulster as favourites though given they're at home, I think the 2 sides will be very closely matched this season

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 04 Sep 2018, 2:03 pm

"For some unknown reason Ulster open the campaign with two home games, whereas Edinburgh start with two away games."

All sides have to play both home and away and it's how you finish the campaign, not how you start.

There you go, that'll surely feed your optimism. I wish someone would feed mine, we may have just beaten the Scarlets but I don't feel many positive vibes about this season, I think it'll be more difficult for Ulster than Edinburgh.

Nil Desperandum!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 04 Sep 2018, 2:14 pm

There was plenty optimism with Edinburgh fans at the start of the season but we've certainly been given a reality check after a poor performance away to Ospreys. And I would say it was a poor performance, but there are certainly easy fixes that can be made to improve things.

Ulster at home are always going to be tough and they will rightly be favourites for this. Edinburgh can win though, and if they play closer to the way we know they can play then they have a good chance of winning. Personally I think it will be a close game with Ulster holding out in the end.

Selection wise I would keep continuity from last week for the players to show they have learnt their lessons, but I’d maybe drop Berghan and Hamilton given they were the two worst players and their replacements played well. Nel is fit and I would bench him – give McCallum a start after positive impact last week.

1 The Schoe
2 McInally
3 McCallum
4 Toolis
5 Gilchrist
6 Ritchie
7 Watson
8 Mata

9 Pyrgos
10 Hickey
11 VDM
12 Scott
13 Bennett
14 Fife
15 Kinghorn

Subs – Dell, Ford, Nel, McKenzie, Hamilton, Kennedy, VDW, Johnson/Dean/Socino

If Charmichael is fit I’d maybe have him on the bench to offer a point of difference.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 04 Sep 2018, 2:23 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
For some unknown reason Ulster open the campaign with two home games, whereas Edinburgh start with two away games.

In Ulsters case maybe to do with them heading to SA for two games after Edinburgh

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 04 Sep 2018, 2:50 pm

For the record when I said "form terrible / brilliant" that's based upon Ulster having a 100% win record this year and Edinburgh having a 100% loss record. I appreciate it's one game and that was the subtle/terrible (delete as appropriate) joke. I appreciate it really wasn't funny, or obvious.

I still reckon Ulster will win, as even though the coach has only officially been in for 3 weeks, I would be amazed if he wasn't in conversations with the coaches/players etc before it was officially announced.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 04 Sep 2018, 3:29 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Edinburgh terrible

Thats a very Jimbo assessment of Edinburgh's performance! We weren't that bad at all, a lot of accuracy issues and should've done better than we did but I'd expect us to be a lot sharper this week. I'd still have Ulster as favourites though given they're at home, I think the 2 sides will be very closely matched this season

If by that you mean incisive and objective, while adhering strictly to the truth of the matter...yes it is a Jimboan summation.

If you're trying to be funny picard It's like FES eating a McHappyMeal… nobody laughs and everybody feels queasy and slightly soiled.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 04 Sep 2018, 4:05 pm

jimbopip wrote:nobody laughs and everybody feels queasy and slightly soiled.

That's the best review I've ever read for the Fifty Shades trilogy.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Sep 2018, 7:16 pm

IanBru wrote:

Takes me back to the Stewart Francis joke:
Everyone laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian.
Well, they're not laughing now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 04 Sep 2018, 8:18 pm

7th August?

Was it an early Pre-season game?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 05 Sep 2018, 9:51 am

Pot Hale wrote:7th August?

Was it an early Pre-season game?

Good spot, updated the OP

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 05 Sep 2018, 10:19 am

Hamilton should be nowhere near the team and it was a disgrace that he was selected ahead of guys like Ritchie and Crosbie last week. First Cockerill big mistake to date.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Sep 2018, 10:27 am

Crosbie was injured to be fair.

I don't think we should write Hamilton off yet - he was a regular at Leicester so that should be a sign of quality (acknowledging that they've been a bit crap lately). This was the first proper game of the season and his first for the club.

If he is picked though and puts in a similar performance he should definitely find his place under threat.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 05 Sep 2018, 10:51 am

I know he wasn’t mentioned, but so is Bradbury.

On Hamilton, he was let go from Leicester and there didn’t seem to be a clamour for his signature. I’m not writing him off, as he’s played one competitive game for us so far, but his handling was poor in the preseason games as well, and I thought fairly ineffective. Again it’s only been one competitive game, so far too early to say for sure.

That said, I think he should be a back up to Ritchie/Hamish/Bradbury. Crosbie was only breaking through last season so a bit early to say for sure on him, but he’s certainly got promise, and in time Hamilton could find himself behind him too.

I know this conversation comes round a lot, but with only Mata at 8, I wonder if we’ll see Bradbury, Crosbie or maybe Hamilton filling in there as well.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Sep 2018, 11:18 am

How has Billy Burns gone for Ulster?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 05 Sep 2018, 11:34 am

George Carlin wrote:
IanBru wrote:

George, surely that was a Bob Monkhouse line? Which is the perfect excuse to recall my favourite Monkhouse joke,

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father....Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I'm here till Thursday. Don't forget to tip your waitress. drumroll

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 05 Sep 2018, 12:16 pm

Here's my new favourite joke:

First Astronaut: "Damn, I can't find any milk for my coffee."
"Second Astronaut: "In space, no one can. Here, use cream."

Run
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Sep 2018, 12:33 pm

That's an awful joke Bru. Jimbo's was much better!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Sep 2018, 12:36 pm

jimbopip wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
IanBru wrote:

George, surely that was a Bob Monkhouse line? Which is the perfect excuse to recall my favourite Monkhouse joke,

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father....Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I'm here till Thursday. Don't forget to tip your waitress. drumroll
Yes, it probably was Monkhouse. I sincerely believe that joke above is the best two line gag ever written.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 05 Sep 2018, 1:35 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That's an awful joke Bru. Jimbo's was much better!

Two insults in the one reply! Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 05 Sep 2018, 4:44 pm

LondonTiger wrote:How has Billy Burns gone for Ulster?

Not to bad. Played very flat. Some nice touches, some not so nice. Decent kicking game, although I thought he could have used a few more chips/grubbers in behind to slow the rush defence.
Not the biggest ten but his tackling was fine as far as costs remember.

All in all not a bad start

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 05 Sep 2018, 4:47 pm

jimbopip wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:That's an awful joke Bru. Jimbo's was much better!

Two insults in the one reply! Laugh

*Achievement unlocked*
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Sep 2018, 12:01 pm

Ulster team to play Edinburgh, Guinness PRO14, Friday 7th September, Kingspan Stadium (7.35pm):
(15-9): W Addison; C Gilroy, D Cave, S McCloskey, H Speight; B Burns, J Cooney;
(1-8): A Warwick, R Herring (captain), R Kane , K Treadwell, I Henderson, M Coetzee, J Murphy, N Timoney;
Replacements (16-23): A McBurney, E O'Sullivan, W Herbst, A O'Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, A Curtis, A Kernohan

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 06 Sep 2018, 12:02 pm

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has made three changes to his Edinburgh team ahead of tomorrow night’s Guinness PR014 encounter with Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium (Friday 7 September, kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports.

Wing Duhan van der Merwe drops out of the starting XV due to injury and is replaced by club centurion Tom Brown, who makes his first competitive appearance since November 2017.

WP Nel gets the nod at tighthead, whilst Hamish Watson – who misses the match in Belfast due to the expected birth of his child – is replaced in the back-row by Jamie Ritchie. The 22-year-old openside makes his 50th appearance for the club.

On his selection, Cockerill, said: “We’ve worked really hard this week, especially on ball control and set-piece, making sure we execute in the right areas. We need to be better across the board, especially away from home.

“We know that the Ulster crowd will be vocal and will be behind their team, so we need to control the game and field position, keeping that support as quiet as possible.”

Blair Kinghorn is named at fullback after finding the scoresheet against Ospreys last weekend and is joined in the back-three by Dougie Fife and Brown.

An unchanged centre pairing sees Mark Bennett link up with Matt Scott in midfield, whilst summer recruits Henry Pyrgos and Simon Hickey continue their half-back partnership.

Up front, hooker Stuart McInally skippers the side and packs down alongside Pierre Schoeman and 22-times capped Scotland international, Nel.

Locks Ben Toolis and Grant Gilchrist are once again named in the boiler room, whilst Ritchie, Luke Hamilton and Fijian number eight, Bill Mata, form a physical back-row trio.

Edinburgh team to face Ulster at The Kingspan Stadium in the Guinness PRO14 on Friday 7 September (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports.

15. Blair Kinghorn (65)

14. Dougie Fife (108)

13. Mark Bennett (13)

12. Matt Scott (75)

11. Tom Brown (113)

10. Simon Hickey (1)

9. Henry Pyrgos (1)

1. Pierre Schoeman (1)

2. Stuart McInally (121) CAPTAIN

3. WP Nel (116)

4. Ben Toolis (89)

5. Grant Gilchrist (121)

6. Luke Hamilton (1)

7. Jamie Ritchie (49)

8. Bill Mata (38)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (180); 17. Allan Dell (45); 18. Murray McCallum (39); 19. Fraser McKenzie (101); 20. Luke Crosbie (12); 21. Sean Kennedy (61); 22. Jaco van der Walt (18); 23. James Johnstone (19)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Sep 2018, 12:32 pm

Big test for both teams and an important game, Edinburgh lose that'll be them 0-2 and having lost against a team many consider they'll be competing directly against for the last play off spot. Ulster lose people will question how far they've really come on since last season

Think they are two good teams and with how Edinburgh are set up, I do think there is plenty for Ulster to exploit

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 06 Sep 2018, 12:35 pm

Again a very strong Edinburgh team on paper.

Hopefully they gel a bit better this weekend and live up to expectations. It will be a hard game to win, but a better performance would be a good starting point.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 06 Sep 2018, 12:50 pm

Oh yes, there's that backrow I've been wanting to see for Ulster, I expect nothing but monstrous carries and beasting of breakdowns. Is it OK to be excited? It seems so long since I had good reason to be.
Just to bring myself down a notch (where did he go) that backline needs to click a good bit better than last week and I think they will with that gametime under their belts. Can they do the high pace, high risk game and make it stick?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 06 Sep 2018, 12:59 pm

A few changes for Edinburgh but the same core of the team that disappointed last week.  On the basis that surely we can't make as many mistakes as we did last week we should hopefully see an improved performances, and on paper that is a very good pack and solid backline.

A big blow to lose VDM on the wing - he's our main attacking weapon in the backline. Saying that, it might encourage the backs to learn how to attack as a unit which has been missing for a long time...

Surprsied to see Crosbie back given he apparently only started running again a few weeks ago - I hope he's fit.

Still think Ulster will win but I want to see a much improved Edinburgh performance.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Sep 2018, 1:01 pm

VDM might have had some fun with his pace if Ulster play as narrow as they did last week

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 06 Sep 2018, 1:08 pm

marty2086 wrote:VDM might have had some fun with his pace if Ulster play as narrow as they did last week

....which was crazy tactics against a team like the Scarlets! You got away with it though.

Edinburgh are much more direct and down the middle which might play into your hands.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 06 Sep 2018, 1:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:A few changes for Edinburgh but the same core of the team that disappointed last week.  On the basis that surely we can't make as many mistakes as we did last week we should hopefully see an improved performances, and on paper that is a very good pack and solid backline.

A big blow to lose VDM on the wing - he's our main attacking weapon in the backline. Saying that, it might encourage the backs to learn how to attack as a unit which has been missing for a long time...

Surprsied to see Crosbie back given he apparently only started running again a few weeks ago - I hope he's fit.

Still think Ulster will win but I want to see a much improved Edinburgh performance.

Crosbie scored a couple of tries for Currie on the weekend, there are highlights on the SRU premier one video. He looks to have bulked up quite a bit and still seems to have a decent turn of pace.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 06 Sep 2018, 1:12 pm

EST wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:A few changes for Edinburgh but the same core of the team that disappointed last week.  On the basis that surely we can't make as many mistakes as we did last week we should hopefully see an improved performances, and on paper that is a very good pack and solid backline.

Crosbie scored a couple of tries for Currie on the weekend, there are highlights on the SRU premier one video.  He looks to have bulked up quite a bit and still seems to have a decent turn of pace.  

That's good news - his pace and athleticism offer a point of difference in our back row options so looking forward to seeing him off the bench. He did need to bulk up a bit though from last season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 06 Sep 2018, 1:15 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
marty2086 wrote:VDM might have had some fun with his pace if Ulster play as narrow as they did last week

....which was crazy tactics against a team like the Scarlets! You got away with it though.

Edinburgh are much more direct and down the middle which might play into your hands.

Seemed to work though and they only played with 12 men in the line so it'll be interesting to see if that was just for Scarlets or how they'll set up going forward

Think they'd have hoped to slow Scarlets a bit more too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 06 Sep 2018, 1:20 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EST wrote:

Crosbie scored a couple of tries for Currie on the weekend, there are highlights on the SRU premier one video.  He looks to have bulked up quite a bit and still seems to have a decent turn of pace.  

That's good news - his pace and athleticism offer a point of difference in our back row options so looking forward to seeing him off the bench. He did need to bulk up a bit though from last season.

Yeah, i'd agree - I hadn't really noticed him coming through the pathway - but he was an ever present in his U20 side and looks to be a bit of an athlete. I think he will have a big part to play this season.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 06 Sep 2018, 3:43 pm

Lots of good things about that Edinburgh team but the same can definitely be said about that Ulster side too. Very big blows to lose VDW and Hamish Watson (there's a good argument that's our best backline player and best forward both missing) but props to the Mish for choosing to forage for a newborn rather than a rugby ball from underneath a prop's arse.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 06 Sep 2018, 5:41 pm

Interesting team from Edinburgh, I think there are a couple of players who are lucky to be in the side this week. Everyone needs a better performance than against Ospreys.

Really not sure how this game will go. On paper home win, but really could go either way.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 07 Sep 2018, 7:16 pm

I'm not gonna lie. I'm excited to see our back row tonight. Nordi's debut alongside cotzee and timoney could be a very handy unit.
And I glad to see Kane starting and O'Sullivan keeping his bench spot.
And if I'm gonna be greedy I want Curtis to get a good 20 mins tonight

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 07 Sep 2018, 7:19 pm

carpet baboon wrote:I'm not gonna lie. I'm excited to see our back row tonight. Nordi's debut alongside cotzee and timoney could be a very handy unit.
And I glad to see Kane starting and O'Sullivan keeping his bench spot.
And if I'm gonna be greedy I want Curtis to get a good 20 mins tonight

Looks to be the best backrow we've named in a long time.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 07 Sep 2018, 8:58 pm

So onside or offside, apparently there is a rule where you can block the opposition player.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:23 pm

LOL give a scrum to Ulster for no reason and in case that's not enough give them a penalty.. Pathetic.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:28 pm

Great attempted comeback by Ulster.  John Cooney cementing his reputation as a team leader with 20 points on the board including a try.  
Great result for Ulster.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:28 pm

Absurd last call.

Edinburgh pretty much robbed here.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:31 pm

Fantastic result. One of those games that nobody deserved to lose. I think the trys are as important as the result.

My man of the match and man of the two game season so far is Will Addison, he's been exceptional. Cooney is an Ulster legend already.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:40 pm

Caught some of it on DAZN over here. Good game and I think each team is capable of being in the reckoning for play-off spot.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:43 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Caught some of it on DAZN over here. Good game and I think each team is capable of being in the reckoning for play-off spot.

Agreed - this is going to be a tough conference this year. The nearly full-loaded Scarlets v Leinster clash tomorrow should be a cracker.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:47 pm

Gilroy has to be in the Ireland squad in November if he keeps this up. His appetite for work is fantastic and he always makes yards

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 07 Sep 2018, 9:47 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Gilroy has to be in the Ireland squad in November if he keeps this up. His appetite for work is fantastic and he always makes yards

Yep, Speight saw very little ball in comparison. But that is because Gilroy constantly went looking for the ball and any work he could find.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next