The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad news for United fans.

+7
AberdeenSteve
compelling and rich
dyrewolfe
Alessandro Ciambella
dancingweeman
ADMIN
Crimey
11 posters

Go down

Bad news for United fans. Empty Bad news for United fans.

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:22 pm

Wesley Sneijder has moved to end speculation over his future by insisting he wants to stay with current club Inter Milan.

The 27-year-old playmaker has been mooted as a target for Chelsea and Manchester United but is set to remain at the San Siro.

"Milan is marvellous, picturesque and full of elegance. I love it," Sneijder told the Inter website.

"At the moment I am very happy here and I don't see why I should leave."

The Holland international joined Inter in the summer of 2009 and played a major part in helping Inter win the Treble of the Champions League, Serie A and Coppa Italia in his first season.

The Italian club finished second in the league and got to the last eight of the Champions League during the last campaign, with their only trophy coming when they beat Palermo to win the Coppa Italia.

Sneijder, who scored four goals in 25 outings in a season hampered by injury, has a contract running until 2015 with Inter and his commitment to the club will disappoint potential suitors.

"There is a family atmosphere at Inter and there are all the ingredients to aim high," added Sneijder.

With Sneijder out of the running, do Modric and Nasri look the best options? They might actually be the better option as they will be cheaper and also have Premier League experience. I'd be wary of bringing in Sneijder for big money as he's used to Italy now and they have a lot more time on the ball and I can only think of Zola who has been successful after moving from Italy, you don't want another Forlan!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bad news for United fans. Empty Re: Bad news for United fans.

Post by ADMIN Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

Would have been a good name to have got in but it's rare for Fergie to buy a global name like Sneijder (Veron is really the only name he bought, the others Utd have turned into them).
Nasri has had talks its been reported this morning and may only cost £10 mil due to it being the last year of the contract, Modric too has hinted he may be open to a move according to latest comments.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

I wouldn't have said it was bad news.

He's a pretty good player and had an outstanding world cup. As far as I'm aware he's never said once that he'd be intrested in a move to England, let alone Man United. Paper talk and speculation is all it ever has been.

Modric may be the better option. Knows the English game, younger than Sneijder but I think I'd take Nasri at United just to pee off a few Gunners fans!

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

Would United fans be dissapointed if SAF didn't bring in any creative/attacking midfielders?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

Yes!
It's something we've missed, Had hoped the midfield next season would have been...

Valencia Jones (defensive mid) Sneijder (attack mid) Young

Now though I wonder if it will be....

Nasri Jones Modric Young

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

That would be a pretty scary midfield, and you've still got a lot of players to bolster the squad behind them.

Do you think this will be Giggs' last season then?

Also, if you're gonna buy those four players, surely some will be on their way out? Carrick is unlikely as he has just signed a new contract, Scholes has gone, Gibson is being linked away. But I can't see him selling any of Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson, Park, Valencia or Nani, and Giggs. Surely your mid-field would be far too crowded then?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Fri 10 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

I cant see united replacing the whole starting midfield for next season. Even without Scholes, they'll have a fit again fletcher, valencia, nani, park as well as giggs to contribute. I don't think such a big overhaul is needed.

I can see Young and Valencia starting out wide with fletcher or carrick starting alongside a new signing. Personally i don't think missing out on Sneijder is a big blow.

I'd have thought Jones will have been bought more for the long term replacement for Ferdinand and Vidic.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jun 2011, 5:18 pm

Surely most would go for Fletcher over Jones? Plus Ithink SAF will only get 1 of Nasri/Modric. If it's Nasri then I'd have him with Fletcher in the middle and Young and Nani as the wingers. Still leaves Valencia, Park and Giggs to cover out wide as well as Carrick and possibly Jones to cover the centre.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm

I'm not bothered by this news tbh but I am bothered that we haven't made any moves for a cm when apparently a winger and defender are as good as signed but are less important areas of the squad

I'm not buying into the nasri rumours until united, arsenal or the player come out and confirm it

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri 10 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

I think Nani may be on his way, towards the end of the season he was being played less and less, he'll fetch quite a premium on the market though which could pay for Modric.
Jones I put in the midfield as he can play defensive midfield and there's more opportunity there for a space than there is at centre back at present with Vidic/Rio/Evans/Smalling all vying for a place.
I do wonder if Vidic too could be heading elsewhere, it was rumoured last summer for a while and it's the one position Barca are crying out for cover in with Puyol increasingly injured and having to resort to sticking Mascherano back there.
Carrick I could see being used as a makeweight with Spurs for Modric and I can see Cleverley getting a few games through the season too. a couple of the lads who won the Youth Cup too may get blooded during the season.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

Carrick has just signed a new contract though?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:16 pm

Means nothing in this day and age though.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat 11 Jun 2011, 9:11 am

Zola who has been successful after moving from Italy, you don't want another Forlan!

What absolute nonsense. Obviously you have forgotten about the White feather, Fabrizio Ravenelli! Truely natural goal scorer who ripped the Premier League apart.

It's true, not many players from Italy leave because we have the most beautiful league in the world. The same way that not many England players leave the Premier League as they can't play kick and run football anywhere else in the world.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Zola who has been successful after moving from Italy, you don't want another Forlan!

What absolute nonsense. Obviously you have forgotten about the White feather, Fabrizio Ravenelli! Truely natural goal scorer who ripped the Premier League apart.

It's true, not many players from Italy leave because we have the most beautiful league in the world. The same way that not many England players leave the Premier League as they can't play kick and run football anywhere else in the world.

He hardly ripped it apart.

We weren't criticizing the Italian league, but it is true that have been very little succes stories of people moving from Italy to England have success, Veron and Crespo are two that come to mind straight away, of course that isn't universal, but it's much less risky to buy a proven Premier League player than one from Italy as the football is very different. It's much slower in Italy with more time on the ball, so it can come to a shock in England where you are pushed off of the ball very quickly.

I think it would be similarly difficult for somebody to go from playing in England to Italy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

Thanks to a little Brazilian genius of a midfielder named Juninho, who set up many of his goals.

And I think most people would say Spain has the best league in the world right now. I find Italian football too slow and boring. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:06 am

The only problem with Spain is that Real Madrid and Barcelona are so far ahead of every other team in the league because of TV rights being sold seperatly etc. And even now there seems to be a gap forming between Barcelona and Madrid.

Although some people will argue that the Premier League is equally predictable because we've had only United and Chelsea for the past 7 years, but at the start of the season a lot of people can't confidently predict that Manchester United or Chelsea will DEFINETLY win the league, but I'm sure almost all would predict Barca or Real Madrid to win La Liga.

I think that's what makes the EPL exciting, the fact that every match seems so unpredictable and it's all very much back and forth action, of one goal to the other, there is rarely a part in the match spent just passing sliowly between the back four like there is in Spain.

Maybe I've just fallen for the media bigging it up though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:37 am

zola and di canio were two of the biggest success stories from italy and they werent the massive superstars over there. i think there is something in it that players from the slow italian league struggle with the pace of the english league. there are alot more flops than success. shevchencko, veron, crespo, weah, blanc all failed (weah and blanc might be a bit harsh as they were coming to the end of there career)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:The only problem with Spain is that Real Madrid and Barcelona are so far ahead of every other team in the league because of TV rights being sold seperatly etc. And even now there seems to be a gap forming between Barcelona and Madrid.

Although some people will argue that the Premier League is equally predictable because we've had only United and Chelsea for the past 7 years, but at the start of the season a lot of people can't confidently predict that Manchester United or Chelsea will DEFINETLY win the league, but I'm sure almost all would predict Barca or Real Madrid to win La Liga.

I think that's what makes the EPL exciting, the fact that every match seems so unpredictable and it's all very much back and forth action, of one goal to the other, there is rarely a part in the match spent just passing sliowly between the back four like there is in Spain.

Maybe I've just fallen for the media bigging it up though.

Agreed mate. The EPL is the best league on the planet. It may not have the players of Messi, Ronaldo or Iniestas calibre but as you say there is an upset just around the corner at all times.

I think its fair to say the fact we won the league by 9 points in the end flattered us but the realization is that it was a much closer league this season than it has been in years. The league cup winners got relegated, as did West Ham who have been in the top flight for a few seasons and Blackpool scoring the most goals ever by a relegated team

Next season with the top 5 or 6 teams strengthening this summer could be really interesting and I'm not going to put my money on anybody confident that they'll emerge as champions. I predict this season could be between United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, even Spurs if they can they can sign a better striker than crouch, fefoe or Pav and Gomes stops throwing points away

Back to the point of the article, its a blow to our summer plans but if it paves the way for Modric or Nasri I wouldn't be too disheartened

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat 11 Jun 2011, 1:35 pm

Yes, the mighty British Premier League has had some right duffers from Serie A. Here are a list of some of the worst, as the itallian league only offers duds.

Thierry Henry
Dennis Bergkamp
Benito Carbone
Gianfranco Zola
Patrick Vierra
Roberto Di Matteo
Edwin Van Der Saar
Paulo Di Canio
Fabrizio Ravenelli
Gianluca Vialli

Wait a minute. These players were actually quite good... Some of them even in the hall of fame! Does this mean the silly myth of a lack of exported Itallian talent can be put to rest?
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 1:38 pm

I think you're missing the point though. Whenever you buy a player from Italy, you still have the risk that the player will end up not adjusting to the league, so Modric or Nasri are always a safer option than Sneijder was going to be.

I'm sure we could come up with an equally long, if not longer list of people to come from Italy who failed in the Premier League, but that's not the point, it wasn't a competition.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat 11 Jun 2011, 2:59 pm

Yes, Zinedine Zidane would of been awful in the premier league.

The British Premier League would never if suited a player of Wes' stature. He is obviously to slow now he has played itallian football. Have you listened to the nonsense that has come from thus board.

On this basis we should not buy African players because it is to cold on England. Any player from any league in the world could make it in the British premier league. Oh, and Kevin Davies is a better player than Shevchenko because he could score more in a Premier League season. What absolute rubbish.

Do Manchester City play slow, boring football and loose every week with an Itallian manager? No. Players are professional and adjust.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:15 pm

I don't see the relevance of what you're saying though?

It is less risky for United to buy Modric or Nasri, as they don't need that time to adjust and are proven Premier League players. Not neccesarily better than Sneijder or anything like that.

Just like it would be less risky for, say Juventus, to buy Sneijder than it would be for Modric or Nasri, as Sneijder is used to playing in the Italian league.

You seem to have taken it as a personal insult against Italian people, or the Italian league, which is ridiculous. Surely you can see the logic that buying a player that has been playing in the Premier League for 3 or 4 years and has done well is less RISKY than buying somebody who has never played in the Premier League? Not that they are a better player, not that it would be the better signing, just less risky.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Do Manchester City play slow, boring football and loose every week with an Itallian manager? No. Players are professional and adjust.

If Tevez goes then this will more than likely become a reality.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

man united could win title with the currenr squad. No need to panic buy

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 11 Jun 2011, 4:31 pm

he's not worth £16m Jones, good defender, good prospect, he isnt worth £16m, if Blackburn think otherwise then keep hold of him.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:22 pm

When Arsenal bought Francis Jeffers he had Premier League experience. He Epic Failed. Veron after one year at United to Chelsea. Epic Fail. Jon Stead. Epic Fail. I can go on naming more players that transfer between the leagues. You would not see Fabregas join a Stoke City football styled club.

Of course Nasri or Modric maybe 'less' risk but at the same time they play a simalar style of recognised by Manchester United, the same as Big Wes and others if similar ability in the Itallian league.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 5:42 pm

I'm not making it a competition though, as I keep on saying. So why do you continue to infer that I'm claiming things I'm not? In fact, look at the article name, I said it was bad news for Manchester United fans that they weren't going to get Sneijder.

It's just common sense that somebody who has played in the league for a number of years is a much less risky option than somebody who has never played in the league. People like Francis Jeffers and Jon Stead weren't exceptional players when they transfered between clubs, neither was the Veron of United. However, people like Shevchenko, Veron, Crespo all players that excelled in the Serie A struggled in the Premier League, and if United were to sign Sneijder, they run that risk. That risk of not being able to adjust to the league just simply isn't there for Modric or Nasri, they already have adjusted to the league.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:02 pm

My point is that they have not adjusted to the league at all. They have adjusted to the playing style of their clubs. Plus they enjoy the role they hold at the football club. Take Charlie Adam, he was not the greatest player for Rangers. He finally joins a plucky Blackpool team and they played a type of football that suited him. Next thing he is a leading star in the league. How much we he go for now in the summer?

Sometimes it is worth taking a gamble on different players than paying over the odds premier league transfer prices. Wes would be half the price of Modric because of the 'risk'.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

No way would Sneijder go for less than Modric. It'd take around £30 million to prize Sneijder away from Inter, Modric isn't going to go for £60 million with one year left on his contract!

Fair enough, maybe you're right. OK

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:17 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:No way would Sneijder go for less than Modric. It'd take around £30 million to prize Sneijder away from Inter, Modric isn't going to go for £60 million with one year left on his contract!

Fair enough, maybe you're right. OK
Modric for 60 million are you having a laugh
Sneijder for 25-35 million sounds about right unless its man city making the offer the it would be 50-60 million
As for any 'risk' any top top player should be able to adapt to english football but if they don't fit in then any club would be able to recoup most of the money they paid

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

The fair enough part was for the rest of his comment, not the part where Modric was worth £60 million.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

pauline1981 wrote:man united could win title with the currenr squad. No need to panic buy
We NEED to replace Van Der Sar, Brown, Giggs, Scholes, Hargreaves

While we have lots of people that can play in their positions, whether we have the right players is another question.

Next Year will be a big season for the likes of Anderson, Cleverley to step up and show what they can do.

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

Nasri is by far the most likely and was tremendous for the first half of last season; so he would make a good signing.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down