The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez' next move?

5 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez' next move? Empty Sergio Martinez' next move?

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

The Argie was superb against Williams, and quality last time out in destroying unbeaten good Ukrainian Serhiy Dzinziruk, dropping the previously unbeaten Dzinziruk 5 times on route to an 8th round stoppage. However, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr now holds the WBC Title, and Martinez wanted to fight the much hyped Mexican, but that doesn't look like its going to come to fruition, so who next for 'Maravilla'?

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez' next move? Empty Re: Sergio Martinez' next move?

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 8:40 pm

It's a shame for Martinez that, in his mid thirties, he's only going to want big money 'mega fights' from now until the end of his career. The problem is, Middleweight is hardly brimming with quality, he can't make 154 lb anymore, and he probably wouldn't want to try his luck at 168 lb (I wouldn't blame him). Even if he did, Froch, Ward and Kessler are all tied up at the moment.

If the Chavez fight can't be made then I'd probably like to see him fight Sturm, who's probably the closest thing to a worthy opponent for him at 160 lb and who I think will get past Macklin. That aside, he'll just have to make do with giving someone such as Barker, Pirog or Geale a pay day, because there really aren't many viable options in or around his weight classes.

If he takes on someone like Pirog in late 2011, then maybe, just maybe, he could try to goad Mayweather up to Middleweight next year, but that's a long shot to say the least.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:21 pm

I wrote this on the thread for barker vs Martinez:

"I feel sorry for Martinez, he is a top top fighter on a hot streak and can't find any marquee fighters. Middleweight is very weak, suppermiddle is very strong and bar cotto the LMW division is also quite weak. I know he wants a supperfight with manny or Floyd, but neiter of tem would step up to 154lbs as they would both probably lose to the bigger man.

He can step up to 168lbs but given he is a small Middleweiggt I can't see him beating any of kessler, ward, froch etc. Cotto would be a good fight but not very competetive and cotto has lost a bit of public appeal since marg. Chavez would be easy money for Sergio. Chavez, although a terrible champion, has a huge fanbase and millions watch him either to support him or to see him get beat. I think that barker gets taken out in 6 rounds by Martinez. He is decent but nit world class whereas Sergio is.

Sergio should hold out for Alvarez. Like Chavez, he is very beatable and has an even larger fanbase so it would sell very well"

As you said, there isn't much for Martinez at middleweight bar sturm who isn't a big draw. If the talent pool was richer then he would probably overtaken manny for p4p king

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:43 am

Sturm or Sylvester would be good options.

There is no way Arum lets him anywhere near Chavez.

An end of the year clash with Bute or Kessler would be xcellent; and I believe despite the size disadvantage, he stands a genuine chance of winning.

More likely is a making time defense against a top ten type like Pirog or Geale I would say. Although a Cintron rematch might be worth a shout; just to get rid of the blemish on his record once and for all.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:28 am

There is no way Arum lets him anywhere near Chavez.
totally agree, he'd ruin Chavez, not that there's much to ruin like
but what is more to the point, sam, what were you doing up at 6:43? you sad git, haha only joking

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:36 am

I don't think arum let's Chavez near anyone decent. He is a very poor excuse for a champion and could have easily lost to zbik if zbik had a but more power. He is suppose to fight Rubio next who has enough power. Chavez is easily putboxed and doesn't look great at te weight. The problem is that he draws big numbers, like hes the legitimate MW champion. Arum knows that if he feeds Chavez bums he will still make alot of money off his name while not risking him

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:10 am

Because Towzer, I live in China, so for me mate, it was the morning!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:11 am

Cintron, anyone? They might be able to market that fight well and there could be some decent money for Martinez, which he deserves.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:36 am

Chuck Abraham in with him.

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down