Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 7:34 am

SAT 9 FEB 2019GUINNESS SIX NATIONS
Italy
16:45
Wales
Venue: Stadio Olimpico

Wales:

15 Liam Williams, 14 Jonah Holmes, 13 Jonathan Davies (c), 12 Owen Watkin, 11 Josh Adams, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Aled Davies, 8 Josh Navidi, 7 Thomas Young, 6 Aaron Wainwright, 5 Adam Beard, 4 Jake Ball, 3 Samson Lee, 2 Elliot Dee, 1 Nicky Smith

Replacements: 16 Ryan Elias, 17 Wyn Jones, 18 Dillon Lewis, 19 Alun Wyn Jones, 20 Ross Moriarty, 21 Gareth Davies, 22 Gareth Anscombe, 23 Hallam Amos


Italy:

15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Edoardo Padovani, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Luca Morisi, 11 Angelo Esposito, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Guglielmo Palazzani, 8 Sergio Parisse (c), 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Sebastian Negri, 5 Dean Budd, 4 David Sisi, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 1 Nicola Quaglio


Replacements: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Cherif Traore’, 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Federico Ruzza, 20 Marco Barbini, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 Tommaso Benvenuti



Date: Saturday, February 9

Venue: Stadio Olimpico, Rome
Kick-off: 17:45 local (16:45 GMT)
Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)
Assistant referees: Wayne Barnes (England), Shuhei Kubo (Japan)
TMO: David Grashoff (England)


Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 07 Feb 2019, 1:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 7:34 am

Not a long turnaround until game two. Luckily wales have one more
day than Italy

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by Exiledinborders on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 8:43 am

maestegmafia wrote:Not a long turnaround until game two. Luckily wales have one more
day than Italy
Do they need it? I would think Pontyclun seconds could beat Italy.

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1583
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 8:52 am

I think I would be keen to mix the team up a bit for this match. I would start Anscombe and Williams again at halfback, with Gareth D and Jarrod Evans on the bench

Front row I would pick the bench from Friday maybe allowing Dillon Lewis some bench time

Locks hill and ball need game time, I would start with beard and Ball and bring hill on later.

Back row now is our chance to see young tom have a crack, Wainwright deserves game time and moriarty could do with another run out...

Backline I want to see what Owen Watkin can do with JD2 outside him, Hallam Amos needs a run, as does steff evans, George north needs to practice his defence. With Liam likely out and halfpenny too this makes things easier for the coaches.

1. W Jones
2. E. Dee
3. S. Lee
4. A. Beard
5. J. Ball
6. A. Wainwright
7. T. Young
8. R. Moriarty
9. T. Williams
10. G. Anscombe
11. S. Evans
12. O. Watkins
13. J. Davies (Capt)
14. G. North
15. H. Amos

16. K. Owens
17. N. Smith/R. Evans
18. Dillon Lewis
19. C Hill
20. J. Nalvidi
21. G. Davies
22. J. Evans
23. R. Patchell/S. Williams

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 8:55 am

Exiledinborders wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Not a long turnaround until game two. Luckily wales have one more
day than Italy
Do they need it? I would think Pontyclun seconds could beat Italy.

Pontyclun 2nds are not what they were, they have had a tricky season mate

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by BigGee on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:19 am

Italy will be better for round 2 at home, it sounds like they had a stomach bug going around the squad in the week before the game, which won't have helped them.

Wales should still be way to strong for them though, but I think they will give them a game. If not then their season is effectively over.

BigGee
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 7994
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by The Oracle on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:21 am

That’s too may changes for me, Maes. A couple of changes is OK, but we need to be focusing on the amount of time our first team players have together. In my opinion. They showed how rusty they were against France. Looked like they’d never played together in that first half. If we want to win the tournament, and prepare for 3 tough games away to Scotland and home to England and Ireland, we want to be hitting the ground running when we meet them. If our first team doesn’t play together again until they meet England in round three then I fear we’ll get a shoeing - might happen anyway based on what I saw Ireland yesterday! But much more likely to do well if our likely first team get another run in between.

I think we need to respect the opposition too. They managed 20 points in Scotland, they’ll be at home, they’ll be smarting after a loss, and Wales traditionally go to rat sh*t when we put out a team with loads of changes (historically in the AIs, for example). Let’s bring the big guns and try t9 build some momentum!

P.s. Not saying it’s a bad team, Maes! I’d just like to maintain a bit of momentum and continuity.
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2484
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by majesticimperialman on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 9:45 am

Exiledinborders wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Not a long turnaround until game two. Luckily wales have one more
day than Italy
Do they need it? I would think Pontyclun seconds could beat Italy.

Italy are a very different team playing at home. Just like Wales are when they play at home. So i would not take this game as a just turn up and we will win.

No team in the 6 nations should take any team for granted.

majesticimperialman

Posts : 5239
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by robbo277 on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 10:53 am

The Oracle wrote:That’s too may changes for me, Maes. A couple of changes is OK, but we need to be focusing on the amount of time our first team players have together. In my opinion. They showed how rusty they were against France. Looked like they’d never played together in that first half. If we want to win the tournament, and prepare for 3 tough games away to Scotland and home to England and Ireland, we want to be hitting the ground running when we meet them. If our first team doesn’t play together again until they meet England in round three then I fear we’ll get a shoeing - might happen anyway based on what I saw Ireland yesterday! But much more likely to do well if our likely first team get another run in between.

I think we need to respect the opposition too. They managed 20 points in Scotland, they’ll be at home, they’ll be smarting after a loss, and Wales traditionally go to rat sh*t when we put out a team with loads of changes (historically in the AIs, for example). Let’s bring the big guns and try t9 build some momentum!

P.s. Not saying it’s a bad team, Maes! I’d just like to maintain a bit of momentum and continuity.

I'd agree with this. You don't mind a couple of rotations, but I'm not sure if wholesale changes are a good idea. You could still beat Italy, but could come undone later. With a week off coming straight after the Italy game, giving your first team a good hit out and then letting them rest in the off week is probably the way to go.

robbo277

Posts : 4885
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 31
Location : Brighton, England

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by miaow on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 2:56 pm

Yeah, too many changes. We don't need to rest players - with a week off before the England game, we need them to be building momentum/performance for that.

Wouldn't dream of not playing AWJ, for example. Have to play him.

The only changes I think are possible are to the props, maybe Beard, possibly a flanker (Navidi plays 8, but I think Moriarty will get the minutes before England), Watkin for Parkes, and then any injuries that dictate a change.

Tomos Williams, Anscombe will be given more time to gel before England.

miaow

Posts : 3828
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:03 pm

I think Gatland will agree with you and not make so many changes. Consistency is key. I think our starting half backs need another go to redeem themselves

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by miaow on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:40 pm

Thought Tomos Williams did quite well? Anscombe not great but I wouldn't say he was shocking; we know he's not a top level goalkicker, even if he's pretty good. He's not Biggar or Halfpenny level. Not great defensively for both tries, and dropped a few balls/passes I think, but don't really remember him doing much else wrong? Don't think his decision making etc. was bad - he needed to adapt to the conditions, and start hitting coffin corner when it was clear the conditions were dreadful, but that's an experience and coaching thing too.

I'm not a huge fan of Anscombe - I think he has too many flaws to be honest - but he is what he is and that's a running #10, one of the few in the modern game. Certainly the only one starting in the 6Ns. And he's good at that, even if his decision making is poor.

Patchell's drop in form due to injuries and club problems has been a disappointment. But Biggar is a perfect 30 minute bench player. No harm sticking with Anscombe. He was useless at the Blues when he first arrived and now is much better: give him the minutes and he'll add something to Wales, no doubt.

miaow

Posts : 3828
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by miaow on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 3:45 pm

On to Italy. I've never been to an away game there, but I can't help but feel Italy have been missing something since moving from the Stadio Flaminio.

It seemed like a proper stadium - an idiosyncratic arena that definitely affected the game. The fans were close to the pitch, it was exposed to the elements. Playing in stadia with running tracks, or where the fans are too far away, hasn't helped them at all.

I wonder if anyone here can attest to the atmosphere being different too? Generally I think crowds are nowhere near as good because of smartphones and the ease to 'zone out' during any sport/social event, so comparison between mid 00s and now isn't like for like, but I've never seen a game in Italy where the crowd really seems to have made a difference when watching from TV like it appeared to at the Flaminio.

I thought it was being redeveloped as well so they could move back there?

miaow

Posts : 3828
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by The Oracle on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:17 pm

Anscombe the only running 10 starting in the 6N, Miaow? I think the Scots may have something to say amount that with Russell! Wink
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2484
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by miaow on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:21 pm

To be clear: I'd say Russell is an all round attacking/creative 10 rather than just a runner. Russell's passing and kicking is his big talent, I'd say - the pass for Maitland's try last year, for instance.

Anscombe just attacks holes and, sometime, goes through them. He's got decent hands and kicking as well, but he's a 'runner' in the way Hook was - a style that is, by and large, gone from the game bar Beauden Barrett (who isn't just a running 10 either, but probably the closest to Anscombe I can think of).

miaow

Posts : 3828
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by mikey_dragon on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 4:51 pm

The Oracle wrote:That’s too may changes for me, Maes. A couple of changes is OK, but we need to be focusing on the amount of time our first team players have together. In my opinion. They showed how rusty they were against France. Looked like they’d never played together in that first half. If we want to win the tournament, and prepare for 3 tough games away to Scotland and home to England and Ireland, we want to be hitting the ground running when we meet them. If our first team doesn’t play together again until they meet England in round three then I fear we’ll get a shoeing - might happen anyway based on what I saw Ireland yesterday! But much more likely to do well if our likely first team get another run in between.

I think we need to respect the opposition too. They managed 20 points in Scotland, they’ll be at home, they’ll be smarting after a loss, and Wales traditionally go to rat sh*t when we put out a team with loads of changes (historically in the AIs, for example). Let’s bring the big guns and try t9 build some momentum!

P.s. Not saying it’s a bad team, Maes! I’d just like to maintain a bit of momentum and continuity.

The team with loads of changes as you put it, is currently 5 from 5. That includes wins against Ita, SA, Arg, Arg, Tonga.

10 and 12 definitely need to be changed in my view, but I wouldn’t t be surprised if they’re “given another chance” and thus the cycle continues. It’s probably a game where AWJ should be rested, in which case Owens starts as captain. The only other changes I’d make would be at 8.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 9004
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by Pie on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 5:47 pm

Tough one this, yes on the one hand give the boys a run out but this has to be seen as a warm up for England so I'd like to see Hill/Ball for Beard, same back row - how we are missing Faletau and Jenkins - Davies for Tomos and Biggar for Anscombe. If fit I would always select Scott over Parkes with same back 3.

Evans, Owens, Francis
Ball/Hill AWJ
Navidi, Tips, Moriarty
Davies Biggar
North
Scott, JD2
Adams
Williams


Pie

Posts : 792
Join date : 2018-07-06

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by The Oracle on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 6:38 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:That’s too may changes for me, Maes. A couple of changes is OK, but we need to be focusing on the amount of time our first team players have together. In my opinion. They showed how rusty they were against France. Looked like they’d never played together in that first half. If we want to win the tournament, and prepare for 3 tough games away to Scotland and home to England and Ireland, we want to be hitting the ground running when we meet them. If our first team doesn’t play together again until they meet England in round three then I fear we’ll get a shoeing - might happen anyway based on what I saw Ireland yesterday! But much more likely to do well if our likely first team get another run in between.

I think we need to respect the opposition too. They managed 20 points in Scotland, they’ll be at home, they’ll be smarting after a loss, and Wales traditionally go to rat sh*t when we put out a team with loads of changes (historically in the AIs, for example). Let’s bring the big guns and try t9 build some momentum!

P.s. Not saying it’s a bad team, Maes! I’d just like to maintain a bit of momentum and continuity.

The team with loads of changes as you put it, is currently 5 from 5. That includes wins against Ita, SA, Arg, Arg, Tonga.

10 and 12 definitely need to be changed in my view, but I wouldn’t t be surprised if they’re “given another chance” and thus the cycle continues. It’s probably a game where AWJ should be rested, in which case Owens starts as captain. The only other changes I’d make would be at 8.


Fair point Mikey. But I’m still of the same mind - I don’t believe personally that the major tournaments are the place to do experimenting. The summer tours and AIs are the place for that, for me. I know others disagree and see the AIs as major tests, and perhaps against the big sides they should be. But I see the World Cup and 6N as the major focus for Wales. So I’d expect us to put out the strongest teams as possible for the 6N (with perhaps the odd change for Italy), especially in World Cup year.

The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2484
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by BigGee on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 7:48 pm

miaow wrote:On to Italy. I've never been to an away game there, but I can't help but feel Italy have been missing something since moving from the Stadio Flaminio.

It seemed like a proper stadium - an idiosyncratic arena that definitely affected the game. The fans were close to the pitch, it was exposed to the elements. Playing in stadia with running tracks, or where the fans are too far away, hasn't helped them at all.

I wonder if anyone here can attest to the atmosphere being different too? Generally I think crowds are nowhere near as good because of smartphones and the ease to 'zone out' during any sport/social event, so comparison between mid 00s and now isn't like for like, but I've never seen a game in Italy where the crowd really seems to have made a difference when watching from TV like it appeared to at the Flaminio.

I thought it was being redeveloped as well so they could move back there?

The Flaminio is derelict and falling to bits, I don't see Italy ever going back there. It is not big enough either, only holds about 30,000.

I went to the Italy v Scotland game last year at the Stadio Olympico and it was nearly full and a cracking atmosphere, the Italian fans certainly got going when Italy played well. It is not the stadium that creates the atmosphere but the performance. Murrayfield is a much better place to go and watch a game than it ever was for all the years that Scotland were cr#p.

BigGee
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 7994
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 8:21 pm

The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:That’s too may changes for me, Maes. A couple of changes is OK, but we need to be focusing on the amount of time our first team players have together. In my opinion. They showed how rusty they were against France. Looked like they’d never played together in that first half. If we want to win the tournament, and prepare for 3 tough games away to Scotland and home to England and Ireland, we want to be hitting the ground running when we meet them. If our first team doesn’t play together again until they meet England in round three then I fear we’ll get a shoeing - might happen anyway based on what I saw Ireland yesterday! But much more likely to do well if our likely first team get another run in between.

I think we need to respect the opposition too. They managed 20 points in Scotland, they’ll be at home, they’ll be smarting after a loss, and Wales traditionally go to rat sh*t when we put out a team with loads of changes (historically in the AIs, for example). Let’s bring the big guns and try t9 build some momentum!

P.s. Not saying it’s a bad team, Maes! I’d just like to maintain a bit of momentum and continuity.

The team with loads of changes as you put it, is currently 5 from 5. That includes wins against Ita, SA, Arg, Arg, Tonga.

10 and 12 definitely need to be changed in my view, but I wouldn’t t be surprised if they’re “given another chance” and thus the cycle continues. It’s probably a game where AWJ should be rested, in which case Owens starts as captain. The only other changes I’d make would be at 8.


Fair point Mikey. But I’m still of the same mind - I don’t believe personally that the major tournaments are the place to do experimenting. The summer tours and AIs are the place for that, for me. I know others disagree and see the AIs as major tests, and perhaps against the big sides they should be. But I see the World Cup and 6N as the major focus for Wales. So I’d expect us to put out the strongest teams as possible for the 6N (with perhaps the odd change for Italy), especially in World Cup year.


We have to keep the development of our squad moving forward at the same time we need to keep a settled team. Poor old Warren has a lot of decisions to make.

Who do we need to develop in the squad ? Who do we need to give game time to?

Wainwright
Dee
Dillon Lewis
Anscombe
Tomos Williams
Amos
Adams
Watkins

These could all be first choice come the rwc

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by RiscaGame on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:32 am

I don't see any changes. The only ones he might make are injury enforced. We are on for a Championship (however unlikely it might seem), so Gatland isn't going to make changes for the sake of it and he doesn't normally change players who might not have performed all that well either (halfbacks etc).

RiscaGame

Posts : 2954
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by RiscaGame on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:45 am

Just read about him talking about using his squad, so who knows. I would be surprised if he did, because there isn't really the need. The summer games can be for increasing the depth, as has been said.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2954
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by The Oracle on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:51 am

I just think we're asking for trouble if we rock up in Cardiff against England for our first game at home and our players have only had the ropey performance against France under their belts. England on the other hand will have had a confidence building full on test match against Ireland and a home game (with likely win) against France - another physical encounter - they'll be battle hardened, and I'm guessing will be putting out near full strength teams for both matches.

There's a weeks gap between the Italy and England matches too, so if we 'rest' a lot of the France starters then they'll be getting 3 weeks off - perhaps too long???
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2484
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 11:14 am

I think we may have Faletau back for the England match..

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by munkian on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 11:30 am

maestegmafia wrote:I think I would be keen to mix the team up a bit for this match. I would start Anscombe and Williams again at halfback, with Gareth D and Jarrod Evans on the bench

Front row I would pick the bench from Friday maybe allowing Dillon Lewis some bench time

Locks hill and ball need game time, I would start with beard and Ball and bring hill on later.

Back row now is our chance to see young tom have a crack, Wainwright deserves game time and moriarty could do with another run out...

Backline I want to see what Owen Watkin can do with JD2 outside him, Hallam Amos needs a run, as does steff evans, George north needs to practice his defence. With Liam likely out and halfpenny too this makes things easier for the coaches.

1. W Jones
2. E. Dee
3. S. Lee
4. A. Beard
5. J. Ball
6. A. Wainwright
7. T. Young
8. R. Moriarty
9. T. Williams
10. G. Anscombe
11. S. Evans
12. O. Watkins
13. J. Davies (Capt)
14. G. North
15. H. Amos

16. K. Owens
17. N. Smith/R. Evans
18. Dillon Lewis
19. C Hill
20. J. Nalvidi
21. G. Davies
22. J. Evans
23. R. Patchell/S. Williams

I'd def give the halfbacks a second chance - need to give them a run of games - especially in a world cup year.

Our backrow was fantastic against France, I'm not sure I'd change it - give them a chance to gel - though saying that I want to see Wainwright and Young get a run out , difficult one that.

I'd definitely start Hill - our lineout was shocking without him- maybe start Dee too ?

munkian
munkian

Posts : 8456
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 38
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by Scottrf on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 11:38 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
Exiledinborders wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Not a long turnaround until game two. Luckily wales have one more
day than Italy
Do they need it? I would think Pontyclun seconds could beat Italy.

Italy are a very different team playing at home. Just like Wales are when they play at home. So i would not take this game as a just turn up and we will win.

No team in the 6 nations should take any team for granted.

Are you for real? Wales didn't turn up last time in Rome and won 33-7.

Scottrf

Posts : 14015
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 11:39 am

We need to start with exactly the same side that started on Saturday presuming Liam Williams is OK.

Why do people insist on making changes all the time ?

Anscombe had a bad game, that does not make him a bad player, let him get back on his bike, let him get his confidence back.

We have underestimated the Italians before, and we have come a cropper, the same side again for me this week please.Very Happy

LordDowlais

Posts : 13691
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 1:00 pm

munkian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I think I would be keen to mix the team up a bit for this match. I would start Anscombe and Williams again at halfback, with Gareth D and Jarrod Evans on the bench

Front row I would pick the bench from Friday maybe allowing Dillon Lewis some bench time

Locks hill and ball need game time, I would start with beard and Ball and bring hill on later.

Back row now is our chance to see young tom have a crack, Wainwright deserves game time and moriarty could do with another run out...

Backline I want to see what Owen Watkin can do with JD2 outside him, Hallam Amos needs a run, as does steff evans, George north needs to practice his defence. With Liam likely out and halfpenny too this makes things easier for the coaches.

1. W Jones
2. E. Dee
3. S. Lee
4. A. Beard
5. J. Ball
6. A. Wainwright
7. T. Young
8. R. Moriarty
9. T. Williams
10. G. Anscombe
11. S. Evans
12. O. Watkins
13. J. Davies (Capt)
14. G. North
15. H. Amos

16. K. Owens
17. N. Smith/R. Evans
18. Dillon Lewis
19. C Hill
20. J. Nalvidi
21. G. Davies
22. J. Evans
23. R. Patchell/S. Williams

I'd def give the halfbacks a second chance - need to give them a run of games - especially in a world cup year.

Our backrow was fantastic against France, I'm not sure I'd change it - give them a chance to gel - though saying that I want to see Wainwright and Young get a run out , difficult one that.

I'd definitely start Hill - our lineout was shocking without him- maybe start Dee too ?


Apparently under the world rugby regulations TY had to be released back to wasps as he wasn’t in the Wales 23 last weekend. He is therefore not currently in the squad in Nice and hasn’t trained with wales since last week.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by munkian on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 1:02 pm

It's almost like he shouldn't moan about not being picked until he moves back to Wales...
munkian
munkian

Posts : 8456
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 38
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 1:07 pm

Scottrf wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:
Exiledinborders wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Not a long turnaround until game two. Luckily wales have one more
day than Italy
Do they need it? I would think Pontyclun seconds could beat Italy.

Italy are a very different team playing at home. Just like Wales are when they play at home. So i would not take this game as a just turn up and we will win.

No team in the 6 nations should take any team for granted.

Are you for real? Wales didn't turn up last time in Rome and won 33-7.

Wales have put over 200 points on Italy in six games in five years. Italy in that time barely scored a 100 against wales and one of those games was a RWC 2015 warm up. The closest shoreline, where we lost Halfpenny and Webb to serious injury, to say the game was hardly played anywhere near full trotted would be a huge understatement.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 1:31 pm

I do not want to jinx anything, but France away, is a much more daunting and difficult fixture than Italy away.

If we take the same side out to Italy this weekend, then we should be OK, but Italy do have it in them to cause an upset, we do not want to be leaving them in the game with 15-20mins left, as we saw last weekend against Scotland, they finished stronger, so we need to put distance between us and them within the hour.

If we take all our opportunities, kicks at goal, and we are more ruthless,than we were against France then I think we can win.

LordDowlais

Posts : 13691
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 1:33 pm

Italy is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't fixtures.

Make no changes and there is criticism for not trying out new combinations.
Make changes and you are accused of disrespect.
(Gatland generally seems thick skinned enough not to give a flying fig what is written in the press - though he did, perfectly reasonably, find the personal attacks in the kiwi press back in 2017 too much)

Win comfortably and it is "Only Italy"
Struggle at times and even with a comfortable win criticism rains down.
Limp to victory and an offering of your first born is demanded.
Lose and the world goes crazy with only Bruce Willis able to save us.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21579
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by The Oracle on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 2:17 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Italy is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't fixtures.

Make no changes and there is criticism for not trying out new combinations.
Make changes and you are accused of disrespect.
(Gatland generally seems thick skinned enough not to give a flying fig what is written in the press - though he did, perfectly reasonably, find the personal attacks in the kiwi press back in 2017 too much)

Win comfortably and it is "Only Italy"
Struggle at times and even with a comfortable win criticism rains down.
Limp to victory and an offering of your first born is demanded.
Lose and the world goes crazy with only Bruce Willis able to save us.


Laugh Yes, this is true!

For me, if this game was in round 4 and we had already had 3 tough games against Scotland, France and England, and had done well and were perhaps on for the Slam, then I think I'd rest some players and keep them fresh for the big one against Ireland in the last round a week later. But as I said previously, second game in and with a rest gap ahead of England, I'd want a fairly first choice team to clock up some miles together in preparation for England. If they storm the first half in Italy and we're in a massive lead then perhaps then empty the bench on at half time or 50mins and get some run outs for some newbies. But I'd personally like to see the likely team for England getting a run on Saturday.
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2484
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by miaow on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 4:30 pm

munkian wrote:It's almost like he shouldn't moan about not being picked until he moves back to Wales...

Don't think he has to be fair.

miaow

Posts : 3828
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 5:27 pm

munkian wrote:It's almost like he shouldn't moan about not being picked until he moves back to Wales...

Where does he go though? It would only be Cardiff if they got shot of Robinson.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 9004
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 7:10 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:It's almost like he shouldn't moan about not being picked until he moves back to Wales...

Where does he go though? It would only be Cardiff if they got shot of Robinson.

I think the blues would be very happy to get TY. Any of the regions would.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 7:21 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
munkian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I think I would be keen to mix the team up a bit for this match. I would start Anscombe and Williams again at halfback, with Gareth D and Jarrod Evans on the bench

Front row I would pick the bench from Friday maybe allowing Dillon Lewis some bench time

Locks hill and ball need game time, I would start with beard and Ball and bring hill on later.

Back row now is our chance to see young tom have a crack, Wainwright deserves game time and moriarty could do with another run out...

Backline I want to see what Owen Watkin can do with JD2 outside him, Hallam Amos needs a run, as does steff evans, George north needs to practice his defence. With Liam likely out and halfpenny too this makes things easier for the coaches.

1. W Jones
2. E. Dee
3. S. Lee
4. A. Beard
5. J. Ball
6. A. Wainwright
7. T. Young
8. R. Moriarty
9. T. Williams
10. G. Anscombe
11. S. Evans
12. O. Watkins
13. J. Davies (Capt)
14. G. North
15. H. Amos

16. K. Owens
17. N. Smith/R. Evans
18. Dillon Lewis
19. C Hill
20. J. Nalvidi
21. G. Davies
22. J. Evans
23. R. Patchell/S. Williams

I'd def give the halfbacks a second chance - need to give them a run of games - especially in a world cup year.

Our backrow was fantastic against France, I'm not sure I'd change it - give them a chance to gel - though saying that I want to see Wainwright and Young get a run out , difficult one that.

I'd definitely start Hill - our lineout was shocking without him- maybe start Dee too ?


Apparently under the world rugby regulations TY had to be released back to wasps as he wasn’t in the Wales 23 last weekend. He is therefore not currently in the squad in Nice and hasn’t trained with wales since last week.
Just wondering where you heard that. Reading the regs I cannot see such a provision, but they are not an easy read. That England do it is part of the PRL agreement.
https://www.world.rugby/handbook/regulations/reg-9/reg-9?lang=en

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21579
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 8:00 pm

We always have to send unused players back to the premiership clubs. All the sides do.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-nations-breaking-news-live-15775885

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 8:14 pm

Fair enough. Seems rather odd but I guess it is PRL enforcing the only have to release for 5 days rule as part of their ongoing issue with WRU. And that is a conversation not worth getting into if we wish to maintain the peace.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 21579
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 8:19 pm

Yes I think you are right, it affects all home nations not just Wales, certainly has done in the past. The prl are not in the slightest bit popular outside of the premiership supporters so yes please save that debate for a different time or thread. I am sure you have the empathy to understand why.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by The Oracle on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 8:37 pm

I don’t blame the PRL to be honest. The RFU pay (I think) the Prem clubs for extra access to players, but obviously that doesn’t extend to Welsh players. WRU doesn’t pay the English clubs for extra time so we shouldn’t expect to get them for extra time outside the ‘window’. I believe the WRU pays the regions for extra time with players though, similar to the PRL set up with the English premier clubs.
The Oracle
The Oracle

Posts : 2484
Join date : 2018-01-16

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 9:00 pm

Looks like Scott Williams is not in consideration for this weekend in Rome. He still hasn’t taken an active part in training.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by miaow on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:It's almost like he shouldn't moan about not being picked until he moves back to Wales...

Where does he go though? It would only be Cardiff if they got shot of Robinson.

I think the blues would be very happy to get TY. Any of the regions would.

TY? Tem Yang?

miaow

Posts : 3828
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:13 pm

miaow wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:It's almost like he shouldn't moan about not being picked until he moves back to Wales...

Where does he go though? It would only be Cardiff if they got shot of Robinson.

I think the blues would be very happy to get TY. Any of the regions would.

TY? Tem Yang?

Ton yung

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:46 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:It's almost like he shouldn't moan about not being picked until he moves back to Wales...

Where does he go though? It would only be Cardiff if they got shot of Robinson.

I think the blues would be very happy to get TY. Any of the regions would.

Well the reason I said what I said was because of:

Scarlets - Davies, Boyde, Davis
Dragons - Wainright, Griffiths, Cudd
Ospreys - Tipuric, and.... Cracknell?
Blues - Jenkins, Navidi, Robinson.

So all have good 7s. He would only fit in at Blues if they got rid of Robinson, and probably Ospreys. Nobody else needs Tom Young and I doubt they’d spend their cash on trying to bring him in for the sake of it.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 9004
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:It's almost like he shouldn't moan about not being picked until he moves back to Wales...

Where does he go though? It would only be Cardiff if they got shot of Robinson.

I think the blues would be very happy to get TY. Any of the regions would.

Well the reason I said what I said was because of:

Scarlets - Davies, Boyde, Davis
Dragons - Wainright, Griffiths, Cudd
Ospreys - Tipuric, and.... Cracknell?
Blues - Jenkins, Navidi, Robinson.

So all have good 7s. He would only fit in at Blues if they got rid of Robinson, and probably Ospreys. Nobody else needs Tom Young and I doubt they’d spend their cash on trying to bring him in for the sake of it.

I figured where you were going with your point. Ospreys and Blues are most likely, though both have two top choices for wales in tips and Jenkins.

Maybe Dragons would be a good option?
Arron Ross and Tom in the back three would be a serious handful.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:50 pm

Wales apparently announce their team on Thursday at 10 GMT. Italy will follow announcing their team at 1300 GMT.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:53 pm

My preference for Dragons is either 6. Hill, 7. Wainright, 8. Griffiths - 6. Moriarty, 7. Wainright, 8. Griffiths

I don’t rate Moriarty at an 8, his control at the back of the scrum isn’t good enough. I think someone else would be better off having TY.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 9004
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 04 Feb 2019, 10:59 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:My preference for Dragons is either 6. Hill, 7. Wainright, 8. Griffiths - 6. Moriarty, 7. Wainright, 8. Griffiths

I don’t rate Moriarty at an 8, his control at the back of the scrum isn’t good enough. I think someone else would be better off having TY.

Do you think Ollie will be developed as an eight. I know he has played there a number of times but I thought he was being lined up to be your seven...?

Adding depth to any regional squad is going to benefit that region, if they can afford TYs wages. Or if he accepts the new pay scale. Might have to take a pay cut to get more caps...?

Owen Williams could be in the same boat if he returns.

maestegmafia
Maes
Maes

Posts : 22663
Join date : 2011-03-05
Location : Glyncorrwg

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by RiscaGame on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 12:13 pm

Dragons would be stupid to sign Young. Half our problem this season is we have spent a 10% chunk of our budget on Moriarty. We need to spend our budget elsewhere, like ten or a big lump of a lock.

RiscaGame

Posts : 2954
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales in Rome match 2

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum