The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 not televised

+7
The Great Aukster
Pot Hale
TJ
Pete330v2
whocares
No 7&1/2
PredictorofTeams
11 posters

Go down

Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 not televised Empty Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 not televised

Post by PredictorofTeams Fri 08 Feb 2019, 3:25 pm

I just found out that the Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 game is not going to be televised. RTE have opted to televise the Irish women's game instead as it's on at the same time. This is ridiculous. The women's game is a poor standard (bar 1/2 teams) and really does not merit being televised. The tournament is a bit of a shambles. The English team is now professional and they are playing against amateur teams missing half their players due to the favoritism shown to the semi-professional 7s teams.

Meanwhile, the u20s Six nations consistently provides entertaining games, featuring future stars of the game. This is just another example of our overly politically correct society gone mad. Raging lads. I'm raging.
mad

The Michael's junior cup team would give the womens six nations a good go.

Last edited by PredictorofTeams on Fri 08 Feb 2019, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PredictorofTeams

Back to top Go down

Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 not televised Empty Re: Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 not televised

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 08 Feb 2019, 3:31 pm

Lol. I'm going to scweam and scweam and scweam.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 not televised Empty Re: Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 not televised

Post by whocares Fri 08 Feb 2019, 3:40 pm

I can’t comment about Ireland but the standard of French woman rugby has been significantly higher than the dross displayed by the France men XV for about a year ! Faster and with better handling skills for sure.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by PredictorofTeams Fri 08 Feb 2019, 3:46 pm

whocares wrote:I can’t comment about Ireland but the standard of French woman rugby has been significantly higher than the dross displayed by the France men XV for about a year ! Faster and with better handling skills for sure.

Ye France were 1 of the 2 good womens teams I was walking about. However, the gulf in standard between these two teams and the rest just results in the games being even less entertaining.

PredictorofTeams

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 08 Feb 2019, 3:47 pm

The standard of the Irish womens' game is atrocious. I've seen a higher standard from our 8 year olds at the minis. Televising it over the U20 match makes no sense apart from appeasing the hashtag gang.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 08 Feb 2019, 4:01 pm

Does that mean the u20s will be live streamed somewhere?  often is if the broadcasters don't show them

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by PredictorofTeams Fri 08 Feb 2019, 4:12 pm

TJ wrote:Does that mean the u20s will be live streamed somewhere?  often is if the broadcasters don't show them

No there are only live updates.

PredictorofTeams

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 08 Feb 2019, 4:19 pm

Excellent news. If there's a choice between watching the Women's team and some spotty teenagers, I'm for the women's team every time.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 08 Feb 2019, 4:24 pm

The home broadcaster decides where to send their cameras, and Scotland aren't especially interested in showing rugby anyway. The rest of the games will be available though.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by PredictorofTeams Fri 08 Feb 2019, 4:26 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Excellent news.   If there's a choice between watching the Women's team and some spotty teenagers, I'm for the women's team every time.

I am ashamed to see you're from Dublin. Would have expected as much from Limerick folk, but not the Pale.

PredictorofTeams

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 08 Feb 2019, 4:40 pm

Have to agree, I'd rather see the U20 6 Nations than the Womens game. I did, a few seasons back, think the womens game was becoming more competitive but its slipped back again. Whereas the U20 will be (we hope) the next generation to wear their countries jersey at senior level, and for some nations (Wales especially) we say this is our second tier, meaning an U20 player commits to Wales (in our case) and cannot be poached by another nation. It is effectively the 6 Nations "A" Side tournament, and should be covered even if just streamed online.

Personally, I think the U20's games should be played at the same ground as the Seniors before the main event. It would get far more support and aid in the development of the youngsters.

I mean, just take a group of mad Welsh fans going to London for the weekend (when the game is in Twickenham), why play the U20 in Gloucester as done before. It doesn't give the fans a chance to support the young talent does it..

...anyway, my point made, although I know I'm probably on my own with this thought.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 08 Feb 2019, 5:25 pm

No9 wrote:Have to agree, I'd rather see the U20 6 Nations than the Womens game. I did, a few seasons back, think the womens game was becoming more competitive but its slipped back again. Whereas the U20 will be (we hope) the next generation to wear their countries jersey at senior level, and for some nations (Wales especially) we say this is our second tier, meaning an U20 player commits to Wales (in our case) and cannot be poached by another nation. It is effectively the 6 Nations "A" Side tournament, and should be covered even if just streamed online.

Personally, I think the U20's games should be played at the same ground as the Seniors before the main event. It would get far more support and aid in the development of the youngsters.

I mean, just take a group of mad Welsh fans going to London for the weekend (when the game is in Twickenham), why play the U20 in Gloucester as done before. It doesn't give the fans a chance to support the young talent does it..

...anyway, my point made, although I know I'm probably on my own with this thought.

Although it is not strictly correct. It depends on who you play against and probably the tournament as well ( see Alex Dombrandt as an example).

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 08 Feb 2019, 5:37 pm

PredictorofTeams wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Excellent news.   If there's a choice between watching the Women's team and some spotty teenagers, I'm for the women's team every time.

I am ashamed to see you're from Dublin. Would have expected as much from Limerick folk, but not the Pale.

The Pale is soo yesterday - do keep up with the changing times.

Women are allowed vote now, you know. And make their own sandwiches.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 08 Feb 2019, 5:46 pm

PredictorofTeams wrote:I just found out that the Ireland u20 v Scotland u20 game is not going to be televised. RTE have opted to televise the Irish women's game instead as it's on at the same time. This is ridiculous. The women's game is a poor standard (bar 1/2 teams) and really does not merit being televised. The tournament is a bit of a shambles. The English team is now professional and they are playing against amateur teams missing half their players due to the favoritism shown to the semi-professional 7s teams.

Meanwhile, the u20s Six nations consistently provides entertaining games, featuring future stars of the game. This is just another example of our overly politically correct society gone mad. Raging lads. I'm raging.
mad

The Michael's junior cup team would give the womens six nations a good go.

St Michaels junior cup team would put at least 50 points on them IMO.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 08 Feb 2019, 9:44 pm

And a bonus point victory for Ireland women - excellent result.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 08 Feb 2019, 9:44 pm

Oh and the boys won too.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by PredictorofTeams Fri 08 Feb 2019, 9:47 pm

Pot Hale wrote:And a bonus point victory for Ireland women - excellent result.

Yet they lost by 50 points at home to the English women. Surely this is a damning reflection of just how big the gulf between the top side and the rest is. The Scottish women shouldn't even travel to England.

PredictorofTeams

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:32 am

PredictorofTeams wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:And a bonus point victory for Ireland women - excellent result.

Yet they lost by 50 points at home to the English women. Surely this is a damning reflection of just how big the gulf between the top side and the rest is. The Scottish women shouldn't even travel to England.

That’s what paying people professionally does.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 09 Feb 2019, 8:33 am

Professional sport relies on sponsorship from companies wanting to promote their products and services. If the event ceases to be 'sporting' and is simply a foregone conclusion, would such sponsors want to be associated with it?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 09 Feb 2019, 1:35 pm

Leaving aside the question of which match made it to RTE, is there any reason why the U20 match wasn't streamed, or made available later?

when I go on to the England Rugby YouTueb channel, I can see a recent Universities Cup match between Hartpury & Exeter

There's surely no revenue for the RFU in that game. If they can do that level of match than I can't see why an U20 match between Scotland and Ireland isn't at least filmed by someone.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 09 Feb 2019, 2:13 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Professional sport relies on sponsorship from companies wanting to promote their products and services. If the event ceases to be 'sporting' and is simply a foregone conclusion, would such sponsors want to be associated with it?

Chicken and egg though. Increased exposure can also lead to more sponsorship and higher standards

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down