The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

+65
Collapse2005
robbo277
tigertattie
rodders
mikey_dragon
Heaf
Poorfour
theslosty
jimbopip
alive555
Blanko
Afro
poissonrouge
highland_scot
Exiledinborders
alanmackie6
Pie
lostinwales
TheMildlyFranticLlama
The Great Aukster
No9
Dolphin Ziggler
profitius
Barney McGrew did it
LeinsterFan4life
Good Golly I'm Olly
Geordie
WELL-PAST-IT
Mr Fishpaste
Cyril
Engine#4
westisbest
Geen sport voor watjes
eirebilly
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
Pal Joey
Soul Requiem
Scottrf
RiscaGame
Galted
EnglishReign
Brendan
TightHEAD
Duty281
maestegmafia
NeilyBroon
majesticimperialman
asoreleftshoulder
Taylorman
thebandwagonsociety
Tramptastic
BigGee
RDW
Rugby Fan
Old Man
poddy89
EWT Spoons
carpet baboon
George Carlin
SecretFly
bsando
BamBam
Ninjarugby
Pete330v2
69 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 15 Empty Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by LondonTiger Mon 09 Sep 2019, 12:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

TeamPlayedWonDrawnLostTriesPFPA+/-BPPoints
Japan330098741+46214
Ireland3201117422+52311
Scotland320113982771210
Samoa310275381-2815
Russia3003119125-10600

Japan 30-10 Russia              
Ireland 27-3 Scotland  
Russia 9-34 Samoa                        
Japan 19-12 Ireland                          
Scotland 34-0 Samoa
Ireland 35-0 Russia
Japan 38-19 Samoa
Scotland 61-0 Russia

12 October 2019         Ireland v Samoa                         Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium, Fukuoka
13 October 2019         Japan v Scotland                         International Stadium Yokohama, Yokohama

Two games left. If Ireland get a TBP win on Saturday they qualify for the quarter finals irrespective of the result on Sunday. Any other result and they need to wait and see what happens between Japan and Scotland.
Any win for Japan and they will top the group (in fact a draw or losing with two bonus points will guarantee the same)
Most interesting scenario is if Ireland win without a bonus point - opening up a chance for Scotland to top the group if all 3 teams end up on 15pts and Scotland are able to keep their points difference ahead of Ireland.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:29 am; edited 5 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 15 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:28 am

According to the news this morning, our game against Japan is now more likely to be impacted by the typhoon.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 15 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:34 am

Well, I paid the witch doctor good money to shift the isobars your way.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:38 am

Looks like it was money well spent.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:44 am

Oh I don't know. Feel guilty now. Think I'll just ask for my money back if he calls the entire Typhoon off.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:45 am

...oh sorry...I mean pay him twice. They ain't that dumb, the witch doctors.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninjarugby Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:23 am

Can anyone tell me if Ireland have lost a WC game where Jonny Sexton has started. From memory it was ROG that started against Wales in 2011, Ian Madigan in 2015 & Jack Carty 2 weeks ago. Even if he has only one good leg IF Ire get to the 1/4 final I 'd start him.

That aside all this talk about postponing/cancelling the Ireland/Samoa game because of a little wind. IF that was done & both got 2 pts for a draw Ireland would be on 13 pts. This opens the door for both Japan to win the group & Scotland to come 2nd. How funny would that be.

Japan (and maybe rightly so to a degree), have a very favorable draw as host & warrant it but when I saw that they got their bonus try after 80 minutes & more importantly how they got it that was a little too much.
They were worthy winner against Ireland but I think they are getting a little too much help. Lets see on Sunday morning as that match will be under the spotlight.
In any case I have no problem with everyone writing off Ireland. If I were a betting man I'd make a small wager on them downing NZ & then only having 10 fit players to play Eng in the semi's!

Ninjarugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:30 am

Ninjarugby wrote:Can anyone tell me if Ireland have lost a WC game where Jonny Sexton has started. From memory it was ROG that started against Wales in 2011, Ian Madigan in 2015 & Jack Carty 2 weeks ago. Even if he has only one good leg IF Ire get to the 1/4 final I 'd start him.

No they have not lost a RWC game when Sexton starts:

http://en.espn.co.uk/statsguru/rugby/player/16004.html?class=1;template=results;trophy=17;type=player;view=match

However that does not mean they lose because he is not starting.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:36 am

Sexton has also never played in a quarter final of the RWC.

Anyway he does make a difference but not that much a difference that a win is guaranteed but he does steady the ship.

Ireland have only conceded one try so far in the RWC which is the lowest of all sides, so its not all doom and gloom yet.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:38 am

Hey anyone else prefer Japan to win the pool?

I fancy us doing a number on an under cooked ABs side in the QF and giving now England are planning to throw the game against France that means we can avoid them until the final...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:43 am

rodders wrote:Hey anyone else prefer Japan to win the pool?

I fancy us doing a number on an under cooked ABs side in the QF and giving now England are planning to throw the game against France that means we can avoid them until the final...    

I dont really care who we face to be honest, it will be a similar enough test.

In some ways the ABs might suit us better as the Boks game plan revolves around a uber physical blitz defense which we can struggle with.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninjarugby Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:46 am

However that does not mean they lose because he is not starting.[/quote]

Absolutely true but 2007 seems to be fresh in Irish minds & that is a world away.

If JS starts a 1/4 & Ireland have a fresh team he will give them confidence & it is a one off game. Now they know how to beat NZ, (I'm not saying they will) but they have not beaten this SA team as it is a very different team from when they last met.
2013 they played very average & Aus beat them in Schmidt's 1st AI of note then the week after look what happened. Ireland lost but they used that in Chicago to win as they kept attacking for Henshaws try.
For everybody (& there are a lot especially the pundits), writing off Ireland I don't really care. I'd love NZ or maybe SA to dismiss Ireland.
All of a sudden Ire are a team like 2007 & can't get out of a hole. Schmidt is a very average coach.
If they can get the bonus pt against Samoa & Carbery/Henshaw are fit along with most of the squad then I'm happy.
I think Ruddock has played himself into the back row.
Bring it on I say. Maybe they will go down but as potentially Rory Best last game I'm happy enough to back them.

Ninjarugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:54 am

Collapse2005 wrote:

Ireland have only conceded one try so far in the RWC which is the lowest of all sides, so its not all doom and gloom yet.

Exactly.  

Like I said a while back, what do you need as a side going into play off games?  You need to be able to score tries (so far check for Ireland) ... and you damn well better be able to defend (so far check for Ireland).  Nobody is going to be scoring 7 or 8 tries against NZ, SA, England, Australia, Wales or France.  So what's the priority?  Have power plays that you hope can score tries and then have a ruthlessly energetic, well oiled defensive game.

If we go out at the weekend or out in a QF, so be it.  You can't change a bad run by hoping you don't have one.  Irish journalists and roving Japan-based social media correspondents and Off the Ball 'experts' have all been annoying the hell out of me recently with their eternal doom and gloom reports.  One even had the good grace to admit that probably many Irish observers would be secretly or not so secretly hoping for a fall from grace for Joe Schmidt.  Sad basterdes if that's a real possibility and of course I do think that it is.

Anyway, we push on or we dry up at this World Cup, but I still think Irish rugby is in a healthier place than its ever been and we'll live to have another decent crack at future WCs if this attempt yet again implodes.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:59 am

We could easily lose to either so it doesn't matter to me. They may be both full of confidence (NZ and SA) but neither will fully be looking forward to the appearance of old rugged, boring, sticky Ireland on their field in a QF.
They'll be nervous.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Tue 08 Oct 2019, 11:01 am

SecretFly wrote:

We could easily lose to either so it doesn't matter to me.  They may be both full of confidence (NZ and SA) but neither will fully be looking forward to the appearance of old rugged, boring, sticky Ireland on their field in a QF.
They'll be nervous.

South Africa has been outsmarted by Ireland on a regular basis over the past few years.

I would be very nervous playing against Ireland, only possible hope is that Rassie’s Boks are better than those who have gone before him.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 11:05 am

Ireland have not played this Bok side to be fair, however, we have played and beat this NZ side so I am now adjusting my expectations. I think NZ is probably the favorable draw for us and also probably the more likely of our quarter final opponents.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 08 Oct 2019, 1:20 pm

SA looking very strong indeed so probably much a muchness.

I think our game matches up better against the ABs but conditions is going to play a big factor.

If the humidity drops we can see an upswing in out performances but we are making too many mistakes to get any momentum at the minute.

We also need Henshaw and Sexton back and firing on all cylinders. Ringrose has been playing well but we need more options in the backline.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 08 Oct 2019, 1:50 pm

So Ireland look set to be Friar Tucked by Typhoo tea and Haggis. Better out than in, as Toonie says.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 1:54 pm

This pool still wide open..... 

Scotland win remaining games with BP
Ireland win with BP
Japan get losing BP (against Sco)

.. and all on 15 pts.. 

How is it then decided, Points Diff ?

Going to be an upset here either way... Ireland or Scotland go home and a Tier 1 country falls. Japan fail to progress and the plucky hosts go out. 

Sorry Ireland and Scotland... Would rather see Japan go through. The country is alight at the moment with the RWC. Just imagine if they get to the knock outs..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 2:04 pm

No9 wrote:This pool still wide open..... 

Ireland win with BP

.. and all on 15 pts.. 

Going to be an upset here either way... Ireland or Scotland go home and a Tier 1 country falls. Japan fail to progress and the plucky hosts go out. 

Sorry Ireland and Scotland... Would rather see Japan go through. The country is alight at the moment with the RWC. Just imagine if they get to the knock outs..

If Ireland win with a bonus point they'll be on 16. They'll be top, Scotland will be second on head-to-head.

If Ireland win without a bonus point they'll all be on 15. Then it comes down to points difference to pick top. The remaining two teams will be split on results between the teams.

*If Ireland finish top on points difference, Scotland will finish second on head to head. Japan will be eliminated.
*If Scotland finish top on points difference, Japan will finish second on head to head. Ireland will be eliminated.
*Japan cannot finish top on points difference in this scenario. They already have a worse PD than Ireland and they are losing a game and Ireland are winning one - which will cut them further adrift.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 08 Oct 2019, 2:05 pm

3. Rankings at the completion of the pool phase

At the completion of the pool phase, the Teams in a pool are ranked one through five based on their cumulative Match points, and identified respectively as winner, runner-up, third, fourth and fifth.

If at the completion of the pool phase two or more Teams are level on Match points, then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams can be determined as the higher ranked:

1 The winner of the Match in which the two tied Teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked.
2 The Team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
3 The Team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
4 The Team which has scored most points in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
5 The Team which has scored most tries in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
6 Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the rankings as per the updated. Official World Rugby World Rankings on October 14, 2019 will determine the higher ranked Team.

For clarification, in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at criterion 1.

Qualification / elimination at the conclusion of the pool phase
The winner and runner-up in each pool qualify for the quarter-finals. Teams ranked third, fourth and fifth will be eliminated from the Tournament.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 2:27 pm

Ireland win with BP

.. and all on 15 pts.. 

Yeah when three teams that have each beat each other are tied a closed loop occurs and head to head record no longer counts. I believe that points difference is then the deciding factor. Its unlikely, if that scenario occurs that Ireland wont have the top points difference as we are 46 points ahead of Scotland and the closed loop can only occur if Japan lose to Scotland so their points difference will suffer and its already worse than Irelands.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 3:21 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:

Ireland win with BP

.. and all on 15 pts.. 

Yeah when three teams that have each beat each other are tied a closed loop occurs and head to head record no longer counts. I believe that points difference is then the deciding factor. Its unlikely, if that scenario occurs that Ireland wont have the top points difference as we are 46 points ahead of Scotland and the closed loop can only occur if Japan lose to Scotland so their points difference will suffer and its already worse than Irelands.

Well, for the closed loop to happen Ireland don't get a bonus point. So maybe they push up to 56 points ahead of Scotland?

Scotland have to play Russia. Can they match Ireland's 35 points here? Or even better it?

That leaves a 21 point slide, so Ireland will probably still top on points difference. But then there is the issue that if this happens, Japan are out. If Scotland top on points difference, Ireland are out and Japan go through. So if Japan are 15 points down with 1 play to go and can't get that second bonus point, the only way for them to qualify would be if Scotland scored a converted try, and if Japan fully understood the permutations* we could end up with a farcical finish to the group stages.

I think if we get into this situation (and from a rugby perspective I hope we don't), then it would be even more of a farce than a team were eliminated on a washout - whatever the outcome.

*I say this because in 2015 Billy Vunipola wasn't even aware that there were try bonus points.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 08 Oct 2019, 4:58 pm

In short I think Scotland need to beat Russia with a TBP and by more than 10 points to then allow us to beat Japan with a TBP or deny Japan a LBP by any margin and Scotland will go through.

If we cant beat Russian by 10 points we're not worthy!

My bones still say Scotland will win against Japan with a score of 45 to 39 with both teams getting a TBP and japan get a LBP so Scotland go home!

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue 08 Oct 2019, 5:46 pm

robbo277 wrote:Yeah when three teams that have each beat each other are
Well, for the closed loop to happen Ireland don't get a bonus point. So maybe they push up to 56 points ahead of Scotland?

Scotland have to play Russia. Can they match Ireland's 35 points here? Or even better it?

That leaves a 21 point slide, so Ireland will probably still top on points difference. But then there is the issue that if this happens, Japan are out. If Scotland top on points difference, Ireland are out and Japan go through. So if Japan are 15 points down with 1 play to go and can't get that second bonus point, the only way for them to qualify would be if Scotland scored a converted try, and if Japan fully understood the permutations* we could end up with a farcical finish to the group stages.

I think if we get into this situation (and from a rugby perspective I hope we don't), then it would be even more of a farce than a team were eliminated on a washout - whatever the outcome.

*I say this because in 2015 Billy Vunipola wasn't even aware that there were try bonus points.
Hang on, I'm not sure I understand this scenario - if all 3 teams tie on 15 points, then surely the order of the pool is decided by points difference. Why would it be in Japan's interest to concede another try so that Scotland finish ahead of Ireland? That might make sense if it pushed Scotland up to 16 points but that's not possible.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 6:05 pm

robbo277 wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Ireland win with BP

.. and all on 15 pts.. 

Not sure I get you. If there is a closed loop points difference is the deciding factor so cant see how Japan could go through ahead of Ireland with a worse points difference. Dont think thats correct.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 6:07 pm

theslosty wrote:
robbo277 wrote:Yeah when three teams that have each beat each other are

Hang on, I'm not sure I understand this scenario - if all 3 teams tie on 15 points, then surely the order of the pool is decided by points difference. Why would it be in Japan's interest to concede another try so that Scotland finish ahead of Ireland? That might make sense if it pushed Scotland up to 16 points but that's not possible.

I agree I think Robbo misinterpreted the rules.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue 08 Oct 2019, 6:33 pm

PD is only used to decide the top team - so if Scotland had the best PD then they go through as 1st.  After that it then goes back to head-to-head so Japan would go through as they beat Ireland.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 6:45 pm

Heaf wrote:PD is only used to decide the top team - so if Scotland had the best PD then they go through as 1st.  After that it then goes back to head-to-head so Japan would go through as they beat Ireland.

Are you sure about that? Seems a little ridiculous given Scotland would lose on the 1st criteria (head to head) to Ireland.

According to the Irish Times article a closed loop means it drops to points difference for each team which would mean Ireland would be guarenteed to qualify as Japan couldnt close the points difference gap and lose.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rugby-world-cup-pool-by-pool-permutations-1.4042913?mode=amp

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 08 Oct 2019, 7:19 pm

As I understand it, points difference determines the team that tops the group when there’s a three way closed loop, and then the second spot is decided on head to head. 

There’s a fixed sequence for evaluating who gets what spot: match points, then head to head, then points difference.

The three way split can’t be decided on match points or head to head, so it goes to points difference, but the residual two way split can and will be decided on head to head.

So if Scotland go top on points difference, Japan would go through ahead of Ireland.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 8:20 pm

That in all fairness would be quite unlikely but would also be quite a silly way to decide things.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:26 pm

Yep I agree if it comes to PD you would think it would apply all the way down the line ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 08 Oct 2019, 10:37 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:That in all fairness would be quite unlikely but would also be quite a silly way to decide things.

A typhoon would probably ensure Ireland top the group then?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 Oct 2019, 9:33 am

Haven't the IRB confirmed all fixtures will go ahead in the final pool rounds, even if they need rescheduled?

I think Japan will beat Scotland, Ireland will get 5 points against Samoa.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 9:52 am

World Rugby wrote:3. Rankings at the completion of the pool phase
At the completion of the pool phase, the Teams in a pool are ranked one through five based on their cumulative Match points, and identified respectively as winner, runner-up, third, fourth and fifth.

If at the completion of the pool phase two or more Teams are level on Match points, then the following criteria shall be used in the following order until one of the Teams can be determined as the higher ranked:

1. The winner of the Match in which the two tied Teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked.
2. The Team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
3. The Team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
4. The Team which has scored most points in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
5. The Team which has scored most tries in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
6. Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the rankings as per the updated. Official World Rugby World Rankings on October 14, 2019 will determine the higher ranked Team.

For clarification, in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at criterion 1.

Source: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tournament-rules

So if all three teams are on 15 points:

Step 1 doesn't apply, because there's no two tied teams. So we move to step 2, which is points difference. But note the clarification:

So if Scotland - after their 47* point blow out of Russia are top on points difference - they are settled as the highest ranked team. To determine the next higher ranked Team, the process repeats. So you take a tied Ireland and Japan, and start at step 1. Step 1 is the match between the two teams, which Japan won.

I would agree it's not intuitive and it doesn't have a desired outcome, but these are the rules.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:09 am

rodders wrote:Haven't the IRB confirmed all fixtures will go ahead in the final pool rounds, even if they need rescheduled?

The official tournament rules do not allow for postponement of pool games. They talk about delaying pool games if the start time can't be met or cancelling games if they can't be played on the day. Postponing only comes into it in the pool stages.

The only statement I can see from them is about having contingencies in mind - no guarantees. But that's only second hand sources, can't see anything on the World Rugby website.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:16 am

I can see Scotland beating Japan myself. Whatever happens though it seems pretty clear that Ireland need a BP v Samoa or we are more than likely toast.

Congrats to Scotland on a great win. Shuzioka stadium is a great stadium with lots of cool fanzones in the very compact town of Aino so Id imagine the fans are going to enjoy themselves there.

Unfortunately for Ireland Samoa I believe have had a 7 day turnaround for this game which is one of their best ever at a RWC. They will be ready to go.

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:20 am

Collapse2005 wrote:I can see Scotland beating Japan myself. Whatever happens though it seems pretty clear that Ireland need a BP v Samoa or we are more than likely toast.

Carberry kicking the ball out at the end vs japan may save your bacon afterall!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:25 am

tigertattie wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:I can see Scotland beating Japan myself. Whatever happens though it seems pretty clear that Ireland need a BP v Samoa or we are more than likely toast.

Carberry kicking the ball out at the end vs japan may save your bacon afterall!

Yeah I was quite happy he did that at the time. It was the right call. The best we could have done at that point was get a draw and to do so he would have needed to go the full length of the pitch. On a risk reward basis taking 1 point over risking losing that point to get 2 points was correct especially given Gardner's propensity for penalizing Ireland.

Carbery definitely made the correct call.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:28 am

Congrats to Scotland on a great win. Shuzioka stadium is a great stadium with lots of cool fanzones in the very compact town of Aino so Id imagine the fans are going to enjoy themselves there.

Unfortunately for Ireland Samoa I believe have had a 7 day turnaround for this game which is one of their best ever at a RWC. They will be ready to go.

I'm not so sure Scotland will beat Japan. But firstly I don't think Samoa are all that strong. They struggled for a period against Russia and showed little against Scotland or Japan. They'll be gunning for Ireland to get something more tangible out of the World Cup, but a team like Ireland should have enough to beat Samoa with a bonus point.

Last edited by robbo277 on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:30 am

OP updated with results and table positions and my summary of what could be a very interesting weekend. Thi sis the most interesting Pool as we enter the final games.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:31 am

Am I right in saying that even if Ireland get a try bonus win v Samoa they can still get knocked out if Scotland beat Japan and Japan get a try bonus and a losing bonus point?

Edit: no I dont think thats right, Scotland would get knocked out in that scenario I think.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:33 am

Collapse2005 wrote:Am I right in saying that even if Ireland get a try bonus win v Samoa they can still get knocked out if Scotland beat Japan and Japan get a try bonus and a losing bonus point?

no.

TBP for Ireland and they have 16pts - Scotland's max is 15.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:34 am

It is a non TBP win for Ireland that can make things interesting as then all 3 teams could end up on 15pts.

In that scenario the first differentiation in points difference.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 Oct 2019, 3:26 pm

robbo277 wrote:
rodders wrote:Haven't the IRB confirmed all fixtures will go ahead in the final pool rounds, even if they need rescheduled?

The official tournament rules do not allow for postponement of pool games. They talk about delaying pool games if the start time can't be met or cancelling games if they can't be played on the day. Postponing only comes into it in the pool stages.

The only statement I can see from them is about having contingencies in mind - no guarantees. But that's only second hand sources, can't see anything on the World Rugby website.

I'm seeing reports now all the games will be cancelled, including England v France?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 4:11 pm

Ireland plan on selecting a full strength side v Samoa which sets us up to encounter the same problems that we did against Argentina in the quarters in 2015. Injuries, suspensions and tiredness. Oh well.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 09 Oct 2019, 5:04 pm

I think it is different this time, we've had a 9 day break since Russia and most of our front runners won't have played since Japan.

I'm less worried about injury than whether we can actually find top form and fitness ahead of the QF, assuming we make it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 5:19 pm

If Japan vs Scotland is washed out, Japan will get 2 points for 16. Ireland can match this, but not beat it. Therefore Japan will top the pool with a better head-to-head record regardless of Ireland vs Samoa.

Scotland would need Ireland to lose to Samoa without so much of a bonus point if they get 2 points from the Japan game, or they're going home.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Oct 2019, 9:33 pm

Just about to ask this question robbo. So Ireland would faceNZ instead of the Boks, and SA face Japan in the modern day grudge match. Having only ever beaten Japan once in their ENTIRE history, and having been knocked out of RWCs every other time they've played Japan, the Boks will be positively quaking in their boots.

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 09 Oct 2019, 9:58 pm

I think contingency plans will be in place for hurricaine haggis. For Scotland and Ireland these could be pool-changing games and for all the historymaking i doubt Japan will be keen on going through on a technicality as they're capable of getting through on merit (although I'd like to think we can best them this sunday and win by enough to prevent the lbp). It wouldn't be a good advert for the game if the games were forfeit considering we want it to be more competitive.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:20 pm

Engerland v France has been cancelled. A bit farcical.

I wouldnt be surprised if the two sides agreed to cancel.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next