The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+18
Dolphin Ziggler
James100
westisbest
It Must Be Love
sirfredperry
JDizzle
LondonTiger
No name Bertie
alfie
Nathaniel Jacobs
Duty281
Soul Requiem
VTR
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
Galted
Gooseberry
KP_fan
22 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 10 Empty Rest of the World

Post by KP_fan Sat 10 Aug 2019, 8:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rahkeem Cornwall makes it to West Indies Test squad
He is an all-rounder from the islands of Antigua and is perhaps the heaviest cricketer ever. He stands at a towering height of 6’6” and weighs around 140 kg.

Cornwall made his first-class debut in 2014 and has since become a regular for Leewards Islands, even captaining them earlier this year. He has 260 wickets from 55 first-class matches and finished as the leading bowler in the most recent regional four-day tournament.

Rest of the World - Page 10 _a076010
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 10 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by alfie Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:15 am

Does seem unfair Shami has nothing yet. Happens sometimes.

Fifty for Paine clap They needed that from the skipper.

Still 93 behind. Lot of work to do...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:17 am

50 for Paine. Captain's innings. And Australia have crossed 150. Paine would be hoping to at the least, get the lead down to less than 50.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:32 am

Sidejacking this to note that the SA Sri Lanka test series is in danger of becoming a farce, currently SA only have 5 players confirmed available of their squad and that assumes they manage to avoid contact with anyone infected till the game starts.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:34 am

A catch taken for a change and Ashwin gets his Australian counterpart. At 167-9, Paine might just now would want to throw his bat at a few to try and get close.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:39 am

India now getting into the mode of not trying to get Paine out. Silly strategy, he kept Hazlewood away from strike for 4 balls, and the number 11 that he really isn't the seamer was then able to safely manage the last 2 deliveries from Shami.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:41 am

The skipper now taking the single on offer first ball and Hazlewood smashing Ashwin down the ground for 4 next ball. Kohli's batting was brilliant in this test, but his captaincy hasn't been not much better than India's catching!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:53 am

msp - have you seen the tipping competition thread?

My comments on today's play later.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:58 am

Very valuable late order runs from Paine and the tail - first innings lead of 53, when at one point it was looking like 100+

Keeps the Aussies more than in this game. India have the chance to bat them out of it here though, big test for the openers...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:01 am

Well that's a bit of a pickle for Australia. Some very poor dismissals in that innings, though Smith got a good ball and there wasn't a lot Labuschagne could have done with one that kept low. Credit to Paine for keeping his side in the contest.

Going to take an inspired effort from Australia's bowlers to turn this test back around. They certainly can't let India develop a lead of more than 250 but, ideally, they need to keep it under the 200 mark.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:02 am

Wouldve got good odds on Paine being the highest first innings scorer! Dont think its fair to critisize a captain for wanting to bowl at the number 11 when the senior bat is on 60 something and scoring freely. Hazelwood didnt last long when they next got to bowl at him but Paine wracked up the runs when he was facing.

Surprisingly low scoring game, solid lead for India but still a game thats open for sure.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:09 am

alfie wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:At 92-5, Australia surely in trouble. But Labuschagne is still there, and they have Cummins and Starc to come, they both are good enough to bat 1 position up on a pinch than what they are doing currently.

yeah their tail is much better than Indian tail....and they will scramble and get close to the Indian total
It will be a single inning shoot out

You think ?  I agree their pace bowlers are far better with the bat than India's (not a high bar !) but I'm not sure I'd call them a "strong" 8-11.
Paine is still there , and he is a punchy fighter ; but I think they will struggle to get near 200

And as I type Cummins collects a duck...

Aus's 7 thru 11 added 110 runs
India's 7 thru 11 only 34 runs
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:21 am

Told ya......Shaw ain't cut out for this level
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:22 am

Ah, Cummins is so, so good.

India send out a night watchman with a test batting average of 3....doesn't sound too wise! Wouldn't Ashwin have been better?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:26 am

Duty281 wrote:Ah, Cummins is so, so good.

India send out a night watchman with a test batting average of 3....doesn't sound too wise! Wouldn't Ashwin have been better?

If you're sending out a nightwatchman after 3 overs...why didn't you just send him out to start the innings? Baffling move to me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:28 am

(Replying to KP_fan)

Ah yes ...but I was referring to the bowlers , not the keepers. Note the quote : 8-11. Smile

Anyway , I'm not sure 53 is really "close" in a low scoring game like this one ?

Interesting point : yes Paine got them maybe thirty runs closer than might have been ...but on the other hand that meant India were left with only six overs to bat under lights. If they only lose Shaw (big if , perhaps  Smile ) they might feel better off than having a lead of say ninety and a prolonged ordeal in the difficult conditions...

One over left at Bumrah.

Last edited by alfie on Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:29 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Ah, Cummins is so, so good.

If you're sending out a nightwatchman after 3 overs...why didn't you just send him out to start the innings? Baffling move to me

The proposition is a bit different when the batsman to be protected is Pujara / Kohli
Shaw and agarwal's half a job is to protect the Big 3 the other half being score runs for themselves and team
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:33 am

Depends what you think of night watchmen...

(calling Guildford Smile )

He's done his job anyway. One only down , 62 ahead...India very much on top , though there is a lot of cricket left in this yet.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:38 am

alfie wrote:(Replying to KP_fan)

Ah yes ...but I was referring to the bowlers , not the keepers. Note the quote : 8-11. Smile

Anyway , I'm not sure 53 is really "close" in a low scoring game like this one ?

Interesting point : yes Paine got them maybe thirty runs closer than might have been ...but on the other hand that meant India were left with only six overs to bat under lights. If they only lose Shaw (big if , perhaps  Smile ) they might feel better off than having a lead of say ninety and a prolonged ordeal in the difficult conditions...

One over left at Bumrah.

Yeah that 75 odd from the No. 7 changes the entire argument depending on whether you count him or not Very Happy
And I was talking about the tail....which to me starts from No.7 for us Very Happy

Lets monitor more specifically in coming innings....the spots 7 thru 11.
On a good day Saha will get your a 20 to 30 odd.....70+ is beyond his realms.

Although tomm Bumrah might surprise us and play the inning of his life of 18 runs and a 70 odd partnerhsip with Mayank

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:43 am

Strong day for India, their bowlers have turned this game back around. Australia need an inspired burst tomorrow from someone, wouldn't fancy their chances of chasing over 200 on this.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:45 am

Well I'd be picking Pant , not Saha !

Bumrah probably played the innings of his life last week getting fifty in the warm up game and nearly killing Green with a return driven chance Smile
He will do well to last three overs tomorrow I think.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:47 am

Duty281 wrote:Strong day for India, their bowlers have turned this game back around. Australia need an inspired burst tomorrow from someone, wouldn't fancy their chances of chasing over 200 on this.

upwards of 200 is difficult but I would say upto 250 is chasable....for the same reason as I pointed out earlier
Aus is capable of putting 20 to 30 run parternerships all the way down to 10th wicket

India needs to match or better their first inning score to feel safe
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:50 am

Not going to write Australia off yet. If they can get at Pujara and Kohli early enough , who knows ? And a chase of even 250 might not be beyond them on what would be only a fourth day pitch...but that is getting well ahead of ourselves...

Right now the tourists should sleep better. Won't be able to watch this tomorrow (game of my own to play , and then the club Christmas party) but hope you all get to enjoy another interesting day thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 18 Dec 2020, 12:22 pm

Chases of 250 or under will always feel vulnerable for sure. Just takes one partnership to really shift momentum in a low scoring test like this. India will want to eek out every run they can tomorrow, and I think the safety first approach which got questioned after day one has been well and truly shown to be the way they need to continue.

Good work by the nightwatchman, Kohli needs to show there was some point in protecting him tomorrow by making some runs.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 18 Dec 2020, 1:19 pm

alfie wrote:Well I'd be picking Pant , not Saha !

Bumrah probably played the innings of his life last week getting fifty in the warm up game and nearly killing Green with a return driven chance Smile
He will do well to last three overs tomorrow I think.
¨

For the 2nd test now Saha will be under the scanner....he has to deliver a score of 30+ in second inning to be retained
Shaw is already out ....Gill will come in for him.....and Rahul or Rohit in for Kohli.

I think that 50 from Bumrah in the Tour game has given team management the confidence to send him as a Night watchman...and this act might give Bumrah the confidence to post his highest test score which would be achieved if he gets to 11 Shocked

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 1:36 pm

So At the end of day 2, it is slight advantage India despite all those drops. They are effectively 62-1. India got a 53 run lead, it could have been a bit more if they had held on to all those chances. Shaw failed to see the day through, was bowled by Cummins for 4. So that's 4 runs across 2 innings and a sitter dropped in his account so far.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 1:38 pm

guildfordbat wrote:msp - have you seen the tipping competition thread?

I had not quite figured it out Guildford. Thought I had to select my players prior to the start of the game?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 1:45 pm

KP_fan wrote:
alfie wrote:(Replying to KP_fan)

One over left at Bumrah.

Yeah that 75 odd from the No. 7 changes the entire argument depending on whether you count him or not Very Happy
And I was talking about the tail....which to me starts from No.7 for us  Very Happy

Lets monitor more specifically in coming innings....the spots 7 thru 11.
On a good day Saha will get your a 20 to 30 odd.....70+ is beyond his realms.

Although tomm Bumrah might surprise us and play the inning of his life of 18 runs and a 70 odd partnerhsip with Mayank

Bumrah just scored his only FC 50 in the practice game prior to the test, and even hit one back at Green that nearly took him out of this test! So, probably, seeing our batting issues, he has decided to turn into an all-rounder!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 18 Dec 2020, 4:16 pm

msp83 wrote:

I had not quite figured it out Guildford. Thought I had to select my players prior to the start of the game?

Strictly you should have done but we're so pleased to have you and KP_f back, you should still be ok to get in.

Meanwhile, you were right about India struggling and failing to reach 250. They ended up 20 to 30 short of what I was expecting last night. Mind you, not totally shocked - Starc and Cummins are usually a handful against batters a lot better than your tail!

A subsequent mix of ordinary Australian batting and decent Indian bowling led by Ashwin have got your noses back in front but a late wicket at the end of day 2 and an inevitable early one at the start of day 3 (that's for Alfie!) will still make it tight.

Intriguing ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 18 Dec 2020, 9:44 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
msp83 wrote:

Strictly you should have done but we're so pleased to have you and KP_f back, you should still be ok to get in.

Strictly speaking yes... but we can always leave the door open for you, msp. Maybe just post up your selections (we'll look the other away) and I can organise a spot for you.

Probably have to start you on around 299 points - then your superior cricket knowledge will start to kick in.
Just PM me or post your picks up on the thread if you want.

https://www.606v2.com/t69882-australia-v-india-test-series-tipping-competition

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 18 Dec 2020, 9:48 pm

alfie wrote:Not going to write Australia off yet. If they can get at Pujara and Kohli early enough , who knows ?  And a chase of even 250 might not be beyond them on what would be only a fourth day pitch...but that is getting well ahead of ourselves...

Right now the tourists should sleep better. Won't be able to watch this tomorrow (game of my own to play , and then the club Christmas party) but hope you all get to enjoy another interesting day thumbsup

Would agree, I'm not writing Australia off either. They took the last seven wickets for 50-odd in the first innings; something similar like that tomorrow would set us up for an excellent conclusion. And Smith and Labuschagne are more than capable of playing the defining innings of the test.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 18 Dec 2020, 9:57 pm

I bet Smith was up all night facing balls in the hotel corridor. The 'night manager' must have sore arms...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:28 pm

Pal Joey wrote:I bet Smith was up all night facing balls in the hotel corridor. The 'night manager' must have sore arms...

Is that a euphemism?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 18 Dec 2020, 10:57 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:I bet Smith was up all night facing balls in the hotel corridor. The 'night manager' must have sore arms...

Is that a euphemism?

Yes and no. Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Dec 2020, 4:30 am

Cummins with the dream start, getting Bumrah and Pujara early to drag his team back into serious contention. Every ball's an event with this spell of bowling.

And now Hazlewood with his first ball captures Agarwal. India can't handle it this morning afternoon.

Get Kohli early and Australia will be favourites again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Dec 2020, 4:37 am

Two in one over! Absolute carnage, Rahane gone this time. Good line and length and India can't do owt about it.

Kohli or bust for India. Test should be over today, that's a turn-up.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Dec 2020, 4:43 am

There's the big wicket, excellent catch, though not tidy, from Green low-down to dismiss Kohli.

Cummins 4/12.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Dec 2020, 5:14 am

Never mind Cummins' 4/12, Hazlewood takes two in two and has 4/3. And that was his 200th test wicket. And he's on a hat-trick.

India 26/8 and hopelessly beaten.

Ah...no hat-trick for Hazlewood.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 19 Dec 2020, 5:34 am

India all out for 36, with Shami injured by a short-pitched ball and unable to continue.

Goodness, what a dream 90 minutes for Australia. And they'll need 90 to win.

We've had a few twists in this test, but surely no more.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 19 Dec 2020, 5:49 am

Most certainly the most ruthless bowling effort I've ever seen in a Test. Don't think this particular Indian side deserves such a low point.
Cummins and Hazlewood bowled superbly though. India lost 5 wickets for 4 runs in 36 balls at one stage.

To make matters worse, Mo Shami is now in doubt with the ball after being struck on the arm by Cummins.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 19 Dec 2020, 7:19 am

Wow... Flick on the cricket when you wake up and do not expect to see that! Incredible collapse from India. And how they have to bounce back in T2 without Kohli? Good luck!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 19 Dec 2020, 8:14 am

Half awake at 6am I glanced at Cricifo on my phone
31-9 knocked out the sleep and also the desire to turn on the TV

this is the stuff that kills the morale of both fans & teams ....esp in the first game of the tour

I have never seen a captain take a break from 3 tests due to paternity Rolling Eyes
Tough ones go after the series
Nice ones go after the games
Very nice ones miss a test and come back
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 19 Dec 2020, 8:27 am

Ha wow ...got up a bit late to miss the India innings! This test was ridiculous. That first innings score is looking way over par now!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 19 Dec 2020, 8:34 am

Actually having a hard time working out how India managed to implode so fully there. The pitch is not so fast or uneven as to make batting a lottery, and whilst Australia's quicks are extremely good its no different tow hat they faced in the first innings. All they needed to do was grind 200 runs between them to be firmly in control and the pressure was on Australia not them.

Really hard to know where they go from that collective brain fart. Tinkering with the openers and keeper wont make much odds either way, its clearly a phycological/team issue.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 19 Dec 2020, 8:54 am

So that’s the series as a contest over - Duty’s 4-0 looking pretty damn good now providing the weather doesn’t intervene
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 19 Dec 2020, 9:05 am

The Burns and Wade stand although maybe a result of the pressure being off and Indias bowlers heads dropping is a huge sign of Australia too. Getting a 50 should be a massive confidence boost for Burns in particular given his awful form.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 19 Dec 2020, 9:13 am

You needed to have watched it Gooseberry. Cummins and Hazlewood both bowled perfect lines and lengths and as Kohli said afterwards - they were "so accurate and just enough to find the edge" on quite a few occasions. It wasn't necessarily hostile (Shami moved into the line of that Cummins delivery when he got hit) but they were quick and extremely consistent... and on a roll.

What I found odd was the fact that given Adelaide Oval's history of being a good dry and hard batting track; this pitch was softer and had what looked like a decent layer of dried out grass on top - in other words it didn't wear out as much - but of course that was only after 2 & 1/2days.

Alfie might have an idea about the next one. I think they are expecting hot sunny days in Melbourne and they've had not nearly as much rain as in Sydney... and Brisbane... which has had a recent battering of storms and will likely get worse ones in January as the monsoon season (further north) intensifies in mid-late summer... and gets drawn over that SEQ coastal area.

It will be interesting to see what selection changes Australia will make if Warner is deemed fit to play. Do they drop Wade or Burns... or Green? Or move Wade down and drop Green? Would be harsh on the youngster after his first Test. Tough job being a selector.

As for India, it is even more difficult. Bring in Gill, drop Shaw? What about Rohit, KL Rahul, Pant and maybe even a back-up for Shami if he's not right? Might need to consider Ishant... although I'm not up to date on his current form and degree of favour with the Indian selectors.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 19 Dec 2020, 9:22 am

Obviously I blame it on the decision to go with a nightwatchman. Wink

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 19 Dec 2020, 9:28 am

guildfordbat wrote:Obviously I blame it on the decision to go with a nightwatchman. Wink

Enjoyed your little cameo with Joe Burns, Guildford. Had a little smile for you as I entered his runs on the spreadsheet. You were the only person scoring points for a good part of the afternoon. That was a very brave pick and I'm glad it paid off for you. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 19 Dec 2020, 9:28 am

Theres never an excuse to get bowled out that cheaply though. Lowest score in tests since 1955 when they were played on uncovered pitches and batting was optional for players 7 down. Its simply shouldn't happen regardless of how good the bowling was.

I think Green will play, Aus will want that 5th bowling option and long term its a role they really need to fill. Wade was abought in to "do a job" and just about managed it, but score of 8 and 33 hardly make him undroppable. Burns certainly deserves the spot more short and long term if they are going to give the other youngster the shot he had earned. Wades never really cut it as a test bat in any position and very much a place filler for the past year or so.

Indian selections should be based on a morale/attitude management issue now. Find the players who have fire in their eyes to right the wrongs rather than those sulking and feeling sorry for themselves or worried about what their sponsors think. There needs to be a degree of honesty in the Indian camp, the batting failed comprehensively in the second innings after the team had put them in a winning position. They need to be focused on what each player can do individually to lift the team for the next game rather than looking for ways to hide their own failure.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 19 Dec 2020, 9:29 am

guildfordbat wrote:Obviously I blame it on the decision to go with a nightwatchman. Wink

Maybe morning watchmen will become a thing!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next