The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs essex twenty/20

+6
jbd349
Tibor
Carrotdude
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

surrey vs essex twenty/20 - Page 2 Empty surrey vs essex twenty/20

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

19 year old Zafar Ansari is the surprise inclusion in the Surrey Lions squad for the Friends Life t20 game against the Essex Eagles on Monday.
The fourteen selected by Chris Adams otherwise remain unchanged from the recent fixtures against Glamorgan Dragons and Gloucestershire Gladiators.
The full Surrey Lions squad to face the Essex Eagles at the Kia Oval on Monday June 13th is:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Jason Roy
Zander De Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Matthew Spriegel
Gary Wilson
Chris Schofield
Gareth Batty
Zafar Ansari
Tim Linley
Jade Dernbach
Dirk Nannes
Yasir Arafat
does any one think ansari will get a start?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs essex twenty/20 - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs essex twenty/20

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:30 pm

corporal start counting those eggs Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:30 pm

Counting in progress Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:31 pm

All over, Essex all out for 111.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:32 pm

clap clap Good old Nelson strikes again!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:34 pm

damn

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

The joys of cricket..... Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:38 pm

Brilliant bowling and fielding performance from Surrey.

Now need to get RHB and Davies to get us off to a better start and we'll be unbeatable!!!

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:41 pm

well played ansari clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:43 pm

Well well well....

I decided to watch the whole match before coming on here to comment, thoroughly enjoyable it was too, at least most of it was! I was ready to despair after the first couple of wickets but Roy was superb, as was Maynard - both getting out just as they got going which was a shame. de Bruyn did well as well but Ansari was definitely the star - his innings at the end gave us the momentum and gave us a defendable lead, he looks like a real prospect.

At the halfway stage I was reasonably confident that we could do a decent job under lights on a pitch that looked difficult to get away, especially slower balls which we all know Dernbach has in abundance. Anything over 150 in T20 will be difficult to chase, as we have shown. We bowled superbly as a unit and fielded excellently too, I was very impressed. It makes me wonder what has happened in the last few matches with our bowling.

So 2 wins from 2 at home, if we keep winning and sort out our away woes we have as good a chance as anyone of progressing to the quarter finals. One thing I would say - get someone in to replace Wilson for goodness sake!

Oh and I think this proves that we need to stop being so negative about our chances, especially during matches, I'll admit I am as bad as anyone and after Roy was out I thought we were done for but I was proved massively wrong. We already have one depressed Surrey fan on our books, lets not all go the same way! Stay positive!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:44 pm

Oh and bad luck cricketfan90, we know what it is like to have a good lineup on paper that comes unstuck. The runouts were the key for me, got rid of your biggest threats. Good luck for the rest of the campaign.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:47 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Well well well....

I decided to watch the whole match before coming on here to comment, thoroughly enjoyable it was too, at least most of it was! I was ready to despair after the first couple of wickets but Roy was superb, as was Maynard - both getting out just as they got going which was a shame. de Bruyn did well as well but Ansari was definitely the star - his innings at the end gave us the momentum and gave us a defendable lead, he looks like a real prospect.

At the halfway stage I was reasonably confident that we could do a decent job under lights on a pitch that looked difficult to get away, especially slower balls which we all know Dernbach has in abundance. Anything over 150 in T20 will be difficult to chase, as we have shown. We bowled superbly as a unit and fielded excellently too, I was very impressed. It makes me wonder what has happened in the last few matches with our bowling.

So 2 wins from 2 at home, if we keep winning and sort out our away woes we have as good a chance as anyone of progressing to the quarter finals. One thing I would say - get someone in to replace Wilson for goodness sake!

Oh and I think this proves that we need to stop being so negative about our chances, especially during matches, I'll admit I am as bad as anyone and after Roy was out I thought we were done for but I was proved massively wrong. We already have one depressed Surrey fan on our books, lets not all go the same way! Stay positive!
who could you mean? Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

Zafar Ansari man of the match on sky

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:53 pm

Carrot - thanks for that very interesting feedback on the match - the barracks here don't go in for Sky tv and other such new fangled inventions...

Pessimism about Surrey prospects comes from prolonged experience in recent years - Depressed is probably a typical cross section of Surrey supporters!

Looks as tho Schofield, Batty - and Spriegel - could find their places under threat in various forms of the game... Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:55 pm

2 places still up for grabs in this team wilson & Spriegel not good enough in this form of cricket.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

To be fair to Adams, Arafat did OK in this match - as I think he did in one of our recent lost matches....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:02 pm

Looking at Ansari today, I don't see why we need Spriegel, does the same job potentially a lot better. Davies' shot to get out concerned me a bit, it was very half hearted and he looked short on confidence, as did Hyphen tbh. He could really do with a good score soon.

For whatever reason it seems that our batting actually suits 40 over cricket better, possibly because it allows more time to play yourself in, or possibly because we are good at going at 6/7 an over but not as comfortable at 8/9. Still if we could get through 6 overs without losing a wicket I'd wager we'd be on 70+.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

Corporal - Arafat's first over was pretty poor, first ball = 5 wides and then got a bit lucky when Shah carved him down third man's throat, he then bowled I think 2 more leg side wides in the over. His comeback was much better and he is an excellent death bowler.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:55 am

Bit late I know but been away so just seen the highlights and what a performance by the young boys!

Batting performance looked in trouble before Roy,Maynard and finally Ansari made some scores! Also mention should go to De Bruyn, may only have made 20 odd but made them at an important time when things could have fallen apart. Ale

Bowling and fielding was then excellent though, Arafat and Nannes finally came good in the same match, Dernbach bowled well (slower balls were brilliant!) and Ansari showed yet more promise with good figures on debut. Again credit to De Bruyn who could go understated but picked up two wickets at below the required rate and turned the match with Ten Doeschates run out.

Finally mention to the Hypen assured captaincy in what can often be a hectic form of the game!
Well done boys!! clap

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2