The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stars of the Future?

+4
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
AlexHuckerby
Dr Gregory House MD
8 posters

Go down

Stars of the Future? Empty Stars of the Future?

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi guys,

While taking in all the recent furore of the football transfers in england and the U-21's championship, my mind for some reason switched to up and comers in boxing. I know a wee bit about boxing (certainally more than my girlfriend who asked me during the Froch/Johnston fight if Froch could end up fighting Tyson) but I tend to see more of those who are in the here and now, and no little of those who could be climing the rankings other than those hyped by Warren.

Obviously picking up and comers in boxing will be difficult due to differing paths all boxers can choose to follow, they could be protected by promoters and only give us a little if any glimpses of what they may have been capable of, or they could bite off too much to soon and me mentally and physically destroyed by someone who they were not ready for, there is also the potential for upsets or fighters who suddenly run out of motivation, then of course there are the hype jobs who never amount to anything.

Anyways back to the question, I bow to your superior knowledge and ask, all going well, who you could see being the breakout stars say in the next 2-5 years

Thanks

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Stars of the Future? Empty Re: Stars of the Future?

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Kell Brook, Amir Khan has plenty of years left in him, same with Victor Ortiz, George Groves, James degale, Frankie Gavin, Nathan Cleverly just some of the guys off the top of my head and most of those are just for the British scene.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:32 pm

In terms of British fighters who are still on the domestic / European scene, Kell Brook is the best natural talent out there, closely followed by Frankie Gavin and Darren Barker (I'm fully convinced that he'd have the beating of Macklin).

World wide, Yuriorkis Gamboa is on course to become the best pound for pound boxer on the planet (in my eyes, at least!) by 2013. Not sure if you've seen much of him, but he's freakishly talented and a joy to watch. Not sure if we can call him a 'star of the future' as he's already an established world champion, but I'm convinced that we've only seen the tip of the ice berg so far.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:41 pm

America have a few boxing prospects coming up atm as do we. I think we could have a good era of boxing in the next decade. In the next 2 years we might be looking at Brandon Rios, Kell Brook, David Price,Ismayl Sillakh, Shawn porter, Saul Alvarez, Rigondeux and Micky Garcia who are going to storm their respective division.

P4P wise, I expect to see Donaire, Gamboa, Khan and Ward will replace the older fighters soon i.e. Pacquiao, Maywetaer, Marquez and Martinez who are all coming to a close in their careers.

Over the next 5 years I think we should be looking at Jose Benevidez Jr, Gilberto Sanchez, adrien Broner and Billy Joe Suanders.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Broner the one that just got taken down 3 times in 1 round by a relative novice? :P

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:58 pm

@AlexHuckerby, no I don't think so, he recently beat Ponce De Leon, only 21, his very similar to mayweather. He is a top competitor although the Leon Victory was somewhat controversial but it was a huge step up.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Do you mean James Kirkland?

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:36 pm

In terms of British fighters who are still on the domestic / European scene, Kell Brook is the best natural talent out there, closely followed by Frankie Gavin and Darren Barker (I'm fully convinced that he'd have the beating of Macklin).
Barker could outbox him but his speed seems to be on the slide to me from watching his last few fights, i thought he boxed well in his last fight though. Brook, i honestly believe would knock Khan out. Khan imo CANNOT box to a gameplan for 12 rounds, he is far, far too easy to hit, Brook is equally as fast, much more unorthodox and a quality talent

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Yeah I was thinking of James Kirkland =/ Adrien Broner all coming back to me now, yeah seen him in a few fights a while ago, looks the part flashy VERY quick.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:In terms of British fighters who are still on the domestic / European scene, Kell Brook is the best natural talent out there, closely followed by Frankie Gavin and Darren Barker (I'm fully convinced that he'd have the beating of Macklin).
Barker could outbox him but his speed seems to be on the slide to me from watching his last few fights, i thought he boxed well in his last fight though. Brook, i honestly believe would knock Khan out. Khan imo CANNOT box to a gameplan for 12 rounds, he is far, far too easy to hit, Brook is equally as fast, much more unorthodox and a quality talent

To be fair Khan is LWW and Brook is WW Khan coming up straight away to fight him perhaps he will. Brook has shown he can wipe the floor with bums and I'm not being disrespectful but Lovemore N'Dou isn't World Level anymore. So it's a step up for Brook but he easily walked through most at domestic level, so he is clearly going to be a hit at the World Level, just don't know whether if they wer epitted in against each other at this moment in time that Brook would be able to live with the combinations being thrown as he hasn't ventured in waters that deep and you are pitting him in against a very good technical quick world class operator from fighting guys at domestic level, though I think he would give him a good go.

Ask me this question in a year or 2 you will probably get a completely different answer.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Alex, they want nothing to do with Kell, he would knock Khan out. He's fighting Ndou which i agree isnt the biggest fight, Witter dropped him 6 year ago twice and he has far too many miles on the clock

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:26 pm

I like this David Price guy....A heavy who is big and aesthetic..coming to fruition at a time when the Klits and Haye are leaving...

Also has a dig and does the fundamentals very well..

Obviously needs more testing but looks okay...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:51 pm

WHO WILL GO ON TO WIN WORLD TITLES IMO
Frankie Gavin
Kell Brook
Billy Joe Saunders
Derek Chisora
James DeGale
George Groves

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Don't use capitals....You'll get kicked off..

Saunders isn't good enough in my opinion..

The others look like good bets with the proliferation around at the moment...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like this David Price guy....A heavy who is big and aesthetic..coming to fruition at a time when the Klits and Haye are leaving...

He also has good footwork for a big guy. As you said he needs more testing. I think he will get that though. He is lined up to face McDermott who is very underrated and should test him somewhat. Giving that he passes mcDermott he comes up against Chisora/Fury winner. Given chisora had a world title shot, he should gain valuable experiance and would set him up with fringe contenders. He is britains best HW bar haye and although he may be chinny, he seems good enough to avoid being hit clean and he carries alot of power in his right hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:10 pm

To me whu he's the 2nd best heavy behind Haye....Very aesthetic for a big guy....

Chisora is ordinary and Fury is rudey poo.

He's a bit of fresh air and it's nice to see...wish him well.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:18 pm

A Chisora-Price bout in late 2011 or early 2012 should be an absolute must. I'd be amazed if Chisora doesn't get past Fury; I think he's far too nimble and quick for the lumbering ox, who seems content to simply rely on his height to get him through time and time again.

Likewise, I can't see Price losing to McDermott if / when that fight happens. Mind you, it'll do Price the world of good to get some experience in facing some genuine fast hands in that fight. But McDermott's footwork and boxing brain aren't as fast as his fists and I think Price will take him out. The big guy really has come on at a rapid rate, almost out of nowhere. Looked distinctly average for a while but is now putting his punches together beautifully.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:21 pm

rudey-poo I like that....

I'l have to use it at work...In conclusion I think your whole system is rudey-poo and needs changing.

Fury won't trouble Chisora..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:32 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like this David Price guy....A heavy who is big and aesthetic..coming to fruition at a time when the Klits and Haye are leaving...

Has a questionable chin unfortunately. We'll see if it holds him back at the elite level though - its yet to be tested too much.

The "Bronze bomber" Deontay Wilder, a HW prospect who looks useful - also doesn't have a chin - but it hasn't stopped him yet.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Saunders isn't good enough in my opinion..
You not see his last fight? looked a league ahead of any of the other olympyans with his speed, technique, timing.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:Saunders isn't good enough in my opinion..
You not see his last fight? looked a league ahead of any of the other olympyans with his speed, technique, timing.

thumbsup Saunders look like a world class operater in his last fight.

The best that I'd seen him and he went up in my estimations.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down