The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nine Out Of Ten

+6
Pal Joey
JuliusHMarx
alfie
No name Bertie
Fernando
guildfordbat
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nine Out Of Ten Empty Nine Out Of Ten

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 Apr 2020, 1:01 pm

I came across this the other day. Rather liked it. Particularly as it gives me the chance to briefly name drop.

I've every confidence it'll sink without trace but anyway here goes. Listed below are ten famous - to varying degrees - people. I've actually met, albeit briefly in some cases, nine of them.

1. Les Gray - lead singer of Mud who had chart topping hits with Tiger Feet and Lonely This Christmas.
2. Florence Welch - of Florence and the Machine, English indie rock band.
3. Buster Edwards - one of The Great Train Robbers.
4. Richie Benaud - please don't ask for a description.
5. Alec Stewart - former England cricket captain.
6. Harold Wilson - former British Prime Minister.
7. Gareth Hunt - tv star of Upstairs, Downstairs, The New Avengers and an early Dr Who episode.
8. Trevor Brooking - football pundit and former England international.
9. Trevor MacDonald - tv broadcaster.
10. Good Golly I'm Olly - renowned poster on these boards.

Ok , so you need to identify the one person above I've not met.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Nine Out Of Ten Empty Re: Nine Out Of Ten

Post by Fernando Tue 14 Apr 2020, 11:39 pm

I hope for your sake it's #10

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2020, 7:30 am

Fernando wrote:I hope for your sake it's #10

Ha! Very Happy I can exclusively reveal that I have met the renowned poster Good Golly I'm Olly. That should narrow it down ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 15 Apr 2020, 9:02 am

Harold Wilson?

One of my colleagues was a Labour Member / volunteer and acted as a "cabbie driver" for Tony Blair as part of one of Blair's campaigning visits.  Or at least that was what he told me. Politicians do tend to meet with many people. I suppose that is in the nature of being a politician.

I think many people also meet members of the royal family - either during a royal family visit, or being invited to one of their large meet and greet parties they tend to hold.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2020, 10:04 am

Hi Bertie - nope. I actually came across Harold Wilson two or three times in the 1970s when I holidayed with my family in the Isles of Scilly where he had a holiday bungalow.

My parents had little or no time for Wilson regarding him as a ducker and diver who was at the beck and call of the bigger trade unions. There was certainly truth in that although history is now rightly judging him in a kinder light. Although it wasn't much of a vote winner for him at the time as it didn't attract that much publicity, he resisted American attempts to get our troops involved in Vietnam. Contrast that with Blair and his legacy with Iraq.

Anyway, that's a bit serious for this Quiz. Feel free to have another go ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 15 Apr 2020, 1:11 pm

Hi guildford...trust you are keeping well ?

OK I am probably wrong and will therefore await an interesting anecdote ; but am struggling to see you consorting with the criminal classes so will say Buster Edwards is the odd man out ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 15 Apr 2020, 1:59 pm

I'm guessing Richie Benaud. You don't want us to ask for a description, thus you don't know what he looks like, thus you can't have met him (unless you were blindfolded at the time). Elementary.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2020, 2:28 pm

Hi Alfie - yeah, I'm well, thanks. My wife and I became grandparents last summer. All good on that front as regards what really matters. However, and I feel selfish for even saying this with all the physical suffering going on and risks being taken by others but it's still mighty frustrating being unable to see the rest of the family in person. FaceTime and Zoom obviously help but they're still not a patch on the real thing.

Anyway, Buster Edwards isn't the odd man out. Don't get too excited though and expect any confession about me being The Ulsterman who planned the Great Train Robbery! Wink

Back in the '90s I worked in the City and travelled each day on the train to Waterloo. Buster ran a flower stall just outside the station. More than once - particularly when I'd stayed too long for a jar after work - I bought a bunch of daffs from him in an attempt to placate Mrs Bat when I reached the other end. After about the second purchase, we were on nodding terms whenever I passed. I would have been interested to ask him about his past but you just instinctively knew not to cross that line.

Sadly, he committed suicide in the mid '90s.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Apr 2020, 2:38 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I'm guessing Richie Benaud. You don't want us to ask for a description, thus you don't know what he looks like, thus you can't have met him (unless you were blindfolded at the time). Elementary.

Julius - nice try and hard to fault your reasoning but nope. Very briefly during a break in play at a Test match in the '90s (I wasn't consorting with criminals all of that decade) at Lord's, a lesser London cricket ground.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 20 Apr 2020, 1:34 pm

Sinking ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 21 Apr 2020, 6:21 am

Well we have to get it soon ...only five possibles left Smile

2 singers , a footballer and two TV chaps. Hmm . 20% chance then...

(am intrigued by the question of how you selected the Red Herring , whoever it turns out to be. Just random or is there another story ?)

Guessing now : Trevor Brooking.

If that's wrong the next contestant has a one in four shot...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Apr 2020, 8:27 am

alfie wrote:Well we have to get it soon ...only five possibles left  Smile

2 singers , a footballer and two TV chaps. Hmm .  20% chance then...

(am intrigued by the question of how you selected the Red Herring , whoever it turns out to be. Just random or is there another story ?)

Guessing now : Trevor Brooking.

If that's wrong the next contestant has a one in four shot...

Hi Alfie and all - a lovely sunny morning here on what should be day 3 of Surrey's CC match against Somerset at the Oval. My wife believes I need to be better at accepting change! Smile

Anyway, another good try and you are certainly narrowing it down but I'm afraid Trevor Brooking isn't the odd one out.

A work friend in the '80s was a Football League linesman - no assistant referees back then and hardly any money other than expenses. He ran the line in an evening League Cup tie circa 1984/85 at the Valley between Charlton and Spurs (I wonder if Sir Fred was there - his boys won 2-1 with Tony Galvin getting the winner). I travelled up with my pal and he got my a free ticket and pass to most parts of the stadium. After the game, we met up in the players' bar. It won't surprise you that I was about the first one in, certainly before all the players. One of the other early arrivals though was Trevor Brooking who had recently retired from playing and had covered the game as a pundit on the radio. I asked him how he was enjoying his new line of work and we chatted for a few minutes about football stuff before the place started to fill up. Pleasant guy.

Btw, an extremely good question from you, Alfie. There is indeed a story about The Red Herring but that will have to wait ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 21 Apr 2020, 3:12 pm

I'm going for Gareth Hunt, but you did meet Joanna Lumley and/or Patrick MacNee.
Or else you didn't meet Florence, but did meet her machine.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Apr 2020, 4:06 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I'm going for Gareth Hunt, but you did meet Joanna Lumley and/or Patrick MacNee.
Or else you didn't meet Florence, but did meet her machine.

Two good shots from Julius but neither find the back of the net!

I briefly came across Florence Welch in the members' main bar room at the Oval a couple of years ago. She's quite a cricket fan. Polite too with a lovely smile. No Machine with her at the time.

Back at the start of the '80s, I lived in Dorking and met Gareth Hunt at a party in nearby Reigate. He spent most of the time in the kitchen - drinking beer, not coffee. Sadly, Joanna Lumley was not with him.

Really narrowing it down now ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 21 Apr 2020, 4:25 pm

You didn't meet Trevor Mcdonald because he was off sick and so you had to stand in for him to read the News at Ten.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 21 Apr 2020, 4:26 pm

You didn't meet Alec Stewart but you did use his cup when batting for the Guildford 3rd XI?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Apr 2020, 5:57 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:You didn't meet Trevor Mcdonald because he was off sick and so you had to stand in for him to read the News at Ten.

Julius - nearer to Row Z than the back of the net with that one!

Whilst Sir Trev is best known for his tv news reading and broadcasting, he's also - and this is the give away - a cricket buff having written a few books on the game over the years. Due to his public persona and cricket knowledge, he was appointed President of Surrey CCC for two years circa 2010/11. He told some very entertaining stories at his first AGM as President. I happened to see him a day or so later on the Oval forecourt before play started. I told him how good the stories were and he then recounted one of them with extra details thrown in. Top bloke.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 21 Apr 2020, 9:22 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:You didn't meet Alec Stewart but you did use his cup when batting for the Guildford 3rd XI?

So you don't deny this one?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Apr 2020, 8:04 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:You didn't meet Alec Stewart but you did use his cup when batting for the Guildford 3rd XI?

So you don't deny this one?

I strongly deny this one as regulars like Alfie on the cricket threads will know already. That was meant to be the easy one to get you all started. You are right though about it being at the Guildford cricket ground; circa 2014. I had asked Alec Stewart a question at a members' forum at the Oval in circa 2013 (I don't regard that as properly meeting him - there were about 80 other audience members like me there). Anyway, early the following season Surrey had a second XI game at Guildford which I attended along with a small handful of old men and their dogs. Whilst walking round the ground, Stewie saw me and came over to follow up about my question from the previous year. I was mightily impressed! We've chatted several times since both there and at the Oval.

You all pretty much have it now as regards identifying the Tenth Person and odd one out ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 22 Apr 2020, 8:31 am

So that just leaves Les Gray the lead singer of Mud. A nice clean end result I must say.

May I ask why you haven't met him, Guildford? Or is there another interesting anecdote as to why not? Smile

Anyway... you've met some famous people there indeed. Much more impressive than my list of 10; which would also include one red herring.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Apr 2020, 9:14 am

Pal Joey wrote:So that just leaves Les Gray the lead singer of Mud. A nice clean end result I must say.

May I ask why you haven't met him, Guildford? Or its there another interesting anecdote as to why not? Smile

Anyway... you've met some famous people* there indeed. Much more impressive than my list of 10; which would also include a red herring.

Joey - excellent! You get the others to do the hard yards and then emerge from the shadows to nail it - I heartily approve, well done! Yahoo

The late Les Gray, former lead singer of Mud, is indeed the one I didn't meet.

However, back in the early '80s when I was living in Dorking (small town about 10 miles from Guildford) and not mixing with Gareth Hunt Wink, I was invited to a party by a friend of the hosts. As the invitation was rather casual and I didn't know the hosts that well plus I felt pretty knackered that evening, I didn't bother going. I was somewhat miffed a couple of days later when I found out that one of the guests had been the aforementioned Mr Gray. Although not in Dorking, he and other members of Mud lived in the area. As far as I'm aware, he didn't sing that night. That would have been too much to miss!

Feel free to put up your ten if only to rattle Julius.

* PS Glad you don't try to exclude Olly! I met him at the Oval when we watched a Surrey game together.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 22 Apr 2020, 9:42 am

Laugh
We call my technique a "Bradbury" in these parts. Named after Stephen Bradbury who won the 1000m speed skating gold medal in 2002 when all the hot favourites crashed into each other with not far to go on the final lap.

OK mate, here goes.

Jules probably knows some of the ones I have met due to my posting on this site - I know I've mentioned at least 4 of the following on my list here... and maybe you might remember one or two others I've blurted out over the years.

I'm not going to include Sir Donald Bradman - but I was a few feet away from him in the SCG Members Stand when he sternly glared at me and sort of gave me half a nod. It was at some One-Day charity match during the 90s.

1. Cate Blanchett - Australian actress
2. Sir Roger Moore - English actor best known for playing James Bond.
3. Barbara Eden - American actress "I Dream of Jeanie".
4. John Eales - former Wallaby captain.
5. Malcolm Turnbull - former Australian PM.
6. Sir Michael Caine - English actor, film producer and author.
7. Barbara Feldon - American actress who played "99" in "Get Smart".
8. Christina Amphlett - former lead singer of Australian rock band The Divinyls.
9. Dan Carter - former All Black rugby player
10. Lauren Bacall - American actress known for her 'distinctive voice and sultry looks'.

Last edited by Pal Joey on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:19 am

Hi again Joey - if only to hear how you met her, I'm going for Lauren Bacall.

Applying some Jules like thinking, perhaps you are Garry Pankhurst and she guest starred alongside you in an episode of Skippy?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:27 am

I'd go for Dan Carter, the amount of heartache he caused for Aussies (England were too rubbish for the ABs to knock us out) i'd imagine you'd want to actively ignore him.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:34 am

Sorry Guildford.

I met her at a book signing of "By Myself" around Christmas 1979. My Mum had dragged me along to Warringah Mall shopping centre and there she was behind a simple desk wearing an elegant red and white pin-striped blouse. Nice face and hair from memory. I think she purred something about "how nice it was to see us"... buy her tell all autobiography.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 22 Apr 2020, 10:43 am

Soul Requiem wrote:I'd go for Dan Carter, the amount of heartache he caused for Aussies (England were too rubbish for the ABs to knock us out) i'd imagine you'd want to actively ignore him.

The day after the 2004 Super Rugby Grand Final between the Canterbury Crusaders and the ACT Brumbies (May 23) I boarded the same plane as the battered and bruised players on their way back to Christchurch. They were a very quiet and sorry sight having lost 47-38 the day before in Canberra.

I happened to be sitting on the same side of the plane as Dan and I had to make way for him as he slowly and somewhat gingerly hobbled up the aisle looking for his seat. Gave him a "G'day mate" and he gave me a pretty dejected and reluctant "G'day mate" back. My God he looked sore... covered in cuts and bruises. You'll be pleased to know that I didn't mention the war.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 23 Apr 2020, 1:15 pm

Ha ...I see PJ has been quick to confess his "winning by a Bradbury " , thereby beating me to the punch...

Interesting list. Two gone already and it surely can't be Eales or Malcolm T . OK. I will have a stab at Michael Caine ... not just because he played my namesake Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 23 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm

What's that all about, Alfie? Know what I mean?
Sorry... you have failed to maintain your weapon, son. Smile

In late 1989 I was working at an architect's firm near Olympia on Kensington High St. I lived near Notting Hill at the time and I occasionally used to walk to work instead of catching the route 27 bus. One fine autumn morning my pleasant walk was rudely interrupted by a large black van and some guy blowing leaves off the footpath on Melbury Road.

Turns out they were getting ready to shoot a scene there for an 'action-comedy'. Just beyond the front gate of a house there; in the small garden to the left hand side, I saw your namesake having a quiet smoke. He looked kind of sheepish... faint smirk and all. Cool as a cucumber though.

I didn't actually speak that much to him - as I barely broke my stride in an effort to get to work on time - but he did manage a "Hello" nod when we made eye contact... much friendlier than the Don's one mentioned above. Actually he might have even muttered "Good morning" or "hello" from memory but if he did, it wasn't that audible. He seemed like a very friendly chap; probably because I didn't fawn over him too much or beg him for an autograph. I had no pen and paper on me anyway.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Apr 2020, 3:28 pm

You're going well, Joey.

I'll plump for Barbara Eden this time. Suspect there's a story there whatever!

Btw, how long were you over here in Notting Hill? See any cricket? Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Apr 2020, 8:39 am

guildfordbat wrote:You're going well, Joey.

I'll plump for Barbara Eden this time. Suspect there's a story there whatever!

Btw, how long were you over here in Notting Hill? See any cricket? Wink

Nice try, Guildford.  Smile

Not a great story but I had some guests staying here from interstate last year who were going to this thing called Supanova. I'd never heard of it.
I thought it was some sort of outdoor rock festival going by the spelling of the name. It is actually a popular 'Comic Con & Gaming' event; the Con being a Convention. Some really weird people attended all dressed up and acting like fantasy characters. It was quite hilarious at times. And strange!!
But they also have a few special guests and well-known personalities who show up and do panel discussions about their work and sign autographs, etc. That must be a nice little earner for them and they get to go to places they haven't been to in the twilight of their careers.

Anyway, one of my guests had a spare pass and suggested I go along for the laugh. My timing was good as I arrived just when it was announced Barabara Eden would be available for photographs. What the hell... once in a lifetime I thought so I joined a queue. Then this kid in a black t-shirt asked me to go to the front of the line... as I'd booked a photo. Never a huge fan of "I Dream of Jeannie" but I admit she looked great in that little pink number 50 years ago.

She's getting on now but she still has that aura... twinkly friendly eyes. Probably a face lift or two. Her figure was not bad for her age and she was taller than I'd expected... but maybe she was on high heels? I didn't look down there though.

I complemented her on providing me "entertainment over the years" (a white lie) and maybe she'd heard that before but she still gave me a "Thank you!" If only she were younger... who knows?   Laugh  She seemed like a nice person.

I was in Notting Hill from mid '89 (between 3rd and 4th Tests) but was unable to see any of that wonderful series. I had to find a job first... had an interview on a Friday and started work on the following Monday. They were great times back then. There was a real buzz in the air... the Channel Tunnel was underway... I went to a few football matches and the Challenge Cup at the old Wembley. I met some very nice people too. I still keep in contact with a few of them. I left in mid 1990 as the recession was about to hit and did the usual European holiday adventure over that summer of Italia '90. I got home just as the recession was about hit here. Perfect timing one might say... Master.

Last edited by Pal Joey on Sun 26 Apr 2020, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 25 Apr 2020, 11:44 am

Cheers, Joey.

Good tale there about Barbara Eden. The Convention business seems a nice little pension enhancer (or did pre Lockdown) for many tv and film people.

You might have met Barbara Feldon at one as well but I'll go for her next anyway.

PS Glad you enjoyed your time in and around Notting Hill. Workwise, I was more centrally based in the City - near to Saint Paul's - and not until a year or two after you headed back.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 Apr 2020, 6:39 am

Whittling them down are we not ?  I could wait to dive in at the end ...but will stick my neck out and declare you didn't meet The Saint ?  (I only see Sean Connery as Bond I'm afraid)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 26 Apr 2020, 11:24 am

Hi Guildford and Alfie,

I must now reveal that both of your next guesses are somewhat related - in the sense that along with Barbara Eden and Michael Caine - I had also met (as Guildford has already suspected) Barbara Feldon and The Saint at the same time as the other two in both instances.

Guildford,

I did indeed meet Barbara Feldon at the same time as Barbara Eden for a quick photo with them both. They were comparatively cool and relaxed (compared to me) as I thanked them both as described above. They got in quite close to me either side and semi embraced me... so I gently reciprocated by putting my arms/hands around their midriffs. Rested my wrist just above their hips. They were both pretty firm at the sides! Laugh    

Just before the shutter went off I said "Victor Royal!" which Barbara Feldon especially found amusing. They both laughed at my little quip.
This was in reference to a very brief love interest she had in one episode... the suave and handsome owner of a casino (played by Jacques Bergerac) in a fictional place called St Germain Island. It turns out he was a really nasty piece of work... and a KAOS agent too! Also of interest in that episode is the fact that 99's real name is revealed to be "Susan Hilton".

Alfie,

In the meeting with Michael Caine above I failed to mention that in between the guy blowing the autumn leaves off the pavement and standing beside the large tree from which those leaves must have fallen was Roger Moore. I actually recognised him first; because he was about 2-3 metres away from me as I walked by.

I said (looking at all the fallen golden leaves on the ground) "Good morning... it's a pity they have to blow those leaves away... they look so nice!"

He agreed and said something like "Good morning. Yes. Indeed they do." I was somewhat taken aback to realise he was slightly shorter than me... about 5' 10" or so and I'm around 6' 1". Still quite tall but somehow I expected him to be taller than me. I also noticed that he had a few small moles on his face which made him seem more ordinary to me... or not as perfect at least. Seemed a nice bloke. Easily approachable and friendly it seemed.

At about the same time I also noted Michael Caine smirking in the garden having a smoke... about 6-7m away. I think he also appreciated my remark about the leaves.

The movie is called "Bullseye!"... a bit of a joke of a film. I think they were shooting a saucy scene there with Sally Kirkland, who ran some sort of establishment and they were both flirting around with her on that particular occasion if my memory serves correct. A nice day's work, yeah? Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 26 Apr 2020, 11:39 am

Here's a little chat they did about the film. Note the lack of autumn leaves on the footpath.

Spoiler:

P.S. That's not me in the grey leather jacket walking up towards them wiping the nose. Smile

This could have been a few hours after I passed by them at around 8:30am - when the street was just about empty.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 26 Apr 2020, 1:32 pm

That's brilliant , PJ clap

Never saw Bullseye...or if I did I've forgotten it. But you picked a good time to walk down that street.

And as for the Barbara double ... Envious !

So we are only left with the Aussies - the ones I'd have thought you most certain to have met. I am doing very badly at this so will leave someone else to pick the winner...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 28 Apr 2020, 1:38 pm

Thanks Alfie.

Just 4 Aussies left now... and who is the red herring I wonder? I think Jules might have a fair idea who might be the odd one out.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 28 Apr 2020, 6:18 pm

I can narrow it down, but not sure of right answer.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 30 Apr 2020, 9:47 am

Ok, Joey, I had better have another go.
Plumping this time for Malcolm Turnbull, wondering if your choice of a former Australian PM was influenced by my reference to Darlin' 'Arold Wilson. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 01 May 2020, 10:13 am

Possibly, Guildford. Quite possibly. Wink
He's just released his autobiography: Malcolm Turnbull: A Bigger Picture which he has been promoting recently and which has ruffled a few feathers.

Actually at the time I met him he was Minister for the Environment and Water (January-December 2007) and Member for Wentworth. On the afternoon of the 2007 Election (24 November) I was attending a school reunion in his electorate. It was held at our sports grounds with a pre-dinner informal gathering on the main oval first with the actual dinner held indoors in the clubhouse afterwards.

I was just minding my own business, having a chat with about 4 or 5 others, when MT suddenly appeared over my right shoulder with the words "How's it going guys?" I said I was "fine, thanks...how did it go today?" Before he could reply, one of the former school students (now a top heart surgeon) who was always a little outspoken and probably lived next door to Turnbull and obviously knew him quite well said "Ahhh Malcolm... you've been kissing babies all day - go and f*** off! We don't want you spreading all of their (your) germs on us!" Shocked

I was a bit shocked. Poor old Malcolm was just about lost for words too for a moment. All he could manage was a jumbled comment - something about hoping we'd made the right choice that day. With half a smirk he then suddenly disappeared into the rest of the gathering again.

As it turned out it was a watershed moment for Kevin Rudd and the ALP that day. Malcolm survived the carnage though (unlike the PM) and became Leader of the Opposition only 10 months later. That didn't last long and he was ousted by Tony Abbott in a leadership ballot in 2009. It took him nearly 6 years to get into a position to 'knife Abbott in the back' for that 'coup' and win another ballot again in late 2015.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 01 May 2020, 2:26 pm

I will have another guess.

Chrissie Amphlett. Though you seem to meet all the women so I'm probably wrong again...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 01 May 2020, 4:03 pm

I'm not sure if I can call this one a normal face-to-face meeting with accepted social pleasantries exchanged, alfie.

Sometimes in the week before Christmas 1985 I went to see The Divinyls play at the Blue Gum Hotel in Waitara. This venue had a bit of a reputation for being a place of unfettered pandemonium frequented by bikie gangs and other rough types. Looking back on those times - I can recall an element of fear when turning up at the place when it was jam-packed. I saw The Church there too at around the same time. There always seemed to be some drama or scrap going on - either inside the venue itself or out in the car park.

On this particular night we (a few friends) managed to get stuck on the 'dance floor area' only a few rows back from the stage. It was so hot... probably high 30s that day so inside it felt more like 50. The humidity was oppressive. I seem to remember everyone was soaking wet; half covered in booze and sweat. It was almost raining from the ceilings if you know what I mean... the hopeless ceiling fans churning it all around with the smoke.

Anyway, towards the end of their last set there was a slight gap forming between myself and the stage and Chrissy (in a light blue checkered school girl uniform - Ravenswood School for Girls) was doing her usual cavorting and carrying on... half flashing herself and bouncing around on the stage.
I can confirm that she was wearing black underwear on this occasion. As if she didn't want people to notice that... no, of course she didn't!

She must have noticed that I was noticing this little detail - for in the next moment I got brief eye contact with her as she hurled the contents of a large jug... I'd say 8-10 ice cubes and some melted watery substance (some vodka?) in my face. It was a great shot... from about 4-5 metres away.
I can still feel it hit me square between the eyes and trickle down my throat. She then gave me a half evil / half smiley look. As if to say: "Gotcha!"

I was actually quite thankful to receive her surprise gift. It was so hot and stuffy in there, so I saw it as a very timely refreshing moment which relieved my discomfort. I think she somehow had read my mind and had decided to do something about it. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 May 2020, 6:51 am

Pal Joey wrote:I'm not sure if I can call this one a normal face-to-face meeting with accepted social pleasantries exchanged, alfie.

Sometimes in the week before Christmas 1985 I went to see The Divinyls play at the Blue Gum Hotel in Waitara. This venue had a bit of a reputation for being a place of unfettered pandemonium frequented by bikie gangs and other rough types. Looking back on those times - I can recall an element of fear when turning up at the place when it was jam-packed. I saw The Church there too at around the same time. There always seemed to be some drama or scrap going on - either inside the venue itself or out in the car park.

On this particular night we (a few friends) managed to get stuck on the 'dance floor area' only a few rows back from the stage. It was so hot... probably high 30s that day so inside it felt more like 50. The humidity was oppressive. I seem to remember everyone was soaking wet; half covered in booze and sweat. It was almost raining from the ceilings if you know what I mean... the hopeless ceiling fans churning it all around with the smoke.

Anyway, towards the end of their last set there was a slight gap forming between myself and the stage and Chrissy (in a light blue checkered school girl uniform - Ravenswood School for Girls) was doing her usual cavorting and carrying on... half flashing herself and bouncing around on the stage.
I can confirm that she was wearing black underwear on this occasion. As if she didn't want people to notice that... no, of course she didn't!

She must have noticed that I was noticing this little detail - for in the next moment I got brief eye contact with her as she hurled the contents of a large jug... I'd say 8-10 ice cubes and some melted watery substance (some vodka?) in my face. It was a great shot... from about 4-5 metres away.
I can still feel it hit me square between the eyes and trickle down my throat. She then gave me a half evil / half smiley look. As if to say: "Gotcha!"

I was actually quite thankful to receive her surprise gift. It was so hot and stuffy in there, so I saw it as a very timely refreshing moment which relieved my discomfort. I think she somehow had read my mind and had decided to do something about it. Smile

Very Happy

I think that counts as face to face. One for the highlights reel...

Two to go . I will let guildford have next guess.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 03 May 2020, 11:14 am

Thanks, Alfie.

I'll go for Eales. Just the way the coin came down!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 04 May 2020, 9:28 am

Bingo Mr Guildford! Yahoo

Firstly; apologies for using such a sporting icon as my red herring in Nine Out Of Ten. However, my strategy almost worked out as planned.

Similar to my chance meeting with Dan Carter on the flight above, I was settling into my seat on a flight from Brisbane to Sydney... I think it was the year before that one with Dan; so it must have been about March 2003.

However on this occasion, John Eales was about 5 seats towards the front of where I was already about to get into my seat. I noticed this tall bloke looking a little peeved off... bent over slightly so his head wouldn't scrape the ceiling panels of the interior. Straight away I realised it was him but it seemed as though he was in no mood for any introductions or autograph signing. I couldn't even get eye contact to give a "G'day mate" nod. So it was a case of nearly meeting John Eales at best... the one that got away you might say.

As for Cate Blanchett - well, that was quite a bizarre encounter. I was with a bunch of friends on New Year's Eve... must have been around '85 too. Probably only a few weeks after the Amphlett Ice Cubes Incident above. We (a bunch of friends/girlfriends) arrived at someone's house (I'm not sure whose place it was) but one of the group knew the owner, in Paddington (the Rushcutters Bay end closer to the harbour) as the starting point for the NYE celebrations.

It was a strange scene there with an assortment of arty, creative types wafting around the house. A fair degree of snobbery and "so... who do you know here?" in the air that evening. I seem to recall that someone left a cigarette butt on a bed which developed a large orange glow in the centre. (Not me... some drugged out jerk no doubt)

As I was trying to mingle with some strangers, two girls suddenly appeared next to me. I forget how the thread of conversation started but one of them seemed to be more talkative than the other. She introduced herself as "Naomi" It was Naomi Watts!

When I asked the other one her name, she simply said: "Just call me Blanche..." She then looked at Naomi for a reaction...

Watts then giggled as if it was some little private joke they had devised when introducing themselves to unsuspecting 'victims' such as myself. I got the distinct impression that they thought the world was at their feet (which it probably was at that time early in their careers) and young men were only there to be teased and kept guessing about the mysterious nature of the worldly woman. As it should be.... Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 04 May 2020, 11:41 am

Good game this, I'll have a go...

Guess which one of the ladies below I've shagged, and the nine I haven't:
Liz Kaplan
Winona Ryder
Rachel Weisz
Selma Hayek
Kate Beckinsale
Sophie Marceau
The fat bird with yellow teeth from The Crown in Cricklewood
Audrey Tautou
Michelle Pfeiffer
Uma Thurman

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 04 May 2020, 11:47 am

Hi Galted... that's a great list!

I'll kick off with the "fat bird with yellow teeth from The Crown in Cricklewood". So much minute detail there so I'm guessing that you have actually met her... but didn't invite her back to your place afterwards.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 04 May 2020, 1:01 pm

That's uncanny.

Well done, PJ.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 04 May 2020, 1:16 pm

You're joking.... Emerald Fennell? Was she loud?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 04 May 2020, 1:18 pm

Pal Joey wrote:Bingo Mr Guildford! Yahoo

Huzzah. So far we have had 17 incorrect guesses out of a maximum of 18.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 05 May 2020, 12:03 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:Bingo Mr Guildford! Yahoo

Huzzah. So far we have had 17 incorrect guesses out of a maximum of 18.

Well it would be a bit of a flop if it was guessed straight away , no ? Which puts me off trying a list as whoever goes next is sure to be shot down in the first couple of tries...law of averages.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum