The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The summer of cricket 2020

+14
Dolphin Ziggler
compelling and rich
dummy_half
KP_fan
VTR
alfie
LondonTiger
Soul Requiem
king_carlos
JDizzle
Gooseberry
Duty281
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
18 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 Empty The summer of cricket 2020

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 23 May 2020, 8:55 pm

We have actual cricket news for the first time in forever...and some hope that we will see some test matches this summer!

England bowlers began a return to individual training on Thursday, with batsmen and wicketkeepers scheduled to make a return on 1st June, in anticipation of the West Indies series being rescheduled to begin on 8th July (all according to various reports).

There was also reports a few weeks back they might play some one day games, whilst tests are happening too. Not seen anything else about that, but with England’s depth in the shorter format it could be done you’d think players wise (and actually would present a good opportunity to some on the fringes)

ECB is going to confirm the full list of players who will resume training next week. Murmurings about Hales in the one day stuff don’t go away...

So anyways - let’s keep fingers crossed, and hope everyone who posts here is healthy and staying safe too Hug
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 Empty Re: The summer of cricket 2020

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 May 2020, 9:40 am

Hi Olly - good to see a new cricket thread! Also pleased that outdoor nets started the other week for my local team. Hug

Yeah, I've seen reports of Tests against the West Indies possibly beginning on 8th July. One recent and additional concern about that is the quarantine regulations coming into force on 8th June. Unless there are any relaxations for Test players (and I would think that very unlikely), the West Indies tour squad and support staff will probably need to arrive here by about 17th June at the latest - that's not far off and so everyone will need to crack on in getting everything sorted. That's if we get a Test starting on 8th July and assumes the West Indies are happy to submit to quarantine.

I say the 17th June in order to meet the two week quarantine restriction and allow one week outdoors (surely that'll be needed at least) to prepare for the first Test.

Incidentally, I've read that a couple of Tests are planned / hoped to be held at Hants' Rose Bowl ground with particular emphasis to it being ''bio secure''. I attended a Surrey members' meeting on Zoom a few weeks ago at which the CEO (Richard Gould, former army officer with some experience of biological type issues) stressed that whilst grounds could be made ''bio safer'', you cannot claim any are fully ''bio secure'' or ''bio safe''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 24 May 2020, 11:17 am

Would be nice to get back to somewhere approaching normality, Roston Chase taking 8 wicket hauls against England and Shai Hope loading up on test tons, but I would be very surprised if we had cricket on 8 July.

In some ways this is more difficult than getting a restart to the Premier League. You've got to fly in West Indies players from different Caribbean islands, after testing them, then you've got to isolate them for a couple of weeks, before being able to practice/play the games. All the while they won't be able to see their families, except in a digital capacity.

I read somewhere, as well, that similar to the Pakistan tour recently, West Indies players will be allowed to opt out if they don't feel safe. So we could see a heavily weakened West Indies side coming over, with precious little practice or preparation, which won't be much of a contest in any respect.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 25 May 2020, 7:25 am

FAO Guilford Bat:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29215291/2012-had-big-imposing-guys-now-say-boo-goose

Please stop booing me Laugh

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 25 May 2020, 7:27 am

Duty281 wrote: West Indies players will be allowed to opt out if they don't feel safe. So we could see a heavily weakened West Indies side coming over, with precious little practice or preparation, which won't be much of a contest in any respect.

Is this any different to a normal west Indies tour of England?

For those who can be bothered to come trying is purely optional.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 26 May 2020, 9:02 am

guildfordbat wrote:Hi Olly - good to see a new cricket thread! Also pleased that outdoor nets started the other week for my local team. Hug

Yeah, I've seen reports of Tests against the West Indies possibly beginning on 8th July. One recent and additional concern about that is the quarantine regulations coming into force on 8th June. Unless there are any relaxations for Test players (and I would think that very unlikely), the West Indies tour squad and support staff will probably need to arrive here by about 17th June at the latest - that's not far off and so everyone will need to crack on in getting everything sorted. That's if we get a Test starting on 8th July and assumes the West Indies are happy to submit to quarantine.

I say the 17th June in order to meet the two week quarantine restriction and allow one week outdoors (surely that'll be needed at least) to prepare for the first Test.

Incidentally, I've read that a couple of Tests are planned / hoped to be held at Hants' Rose Bowl ground with particular emphasis to it being ''bio secure''. I attended a Surrey members' meeting on Zoom a few weeks ago at which the CEO (Richard Gould, former army officer with some experience of biological type issues) stressed that whilst grounds could be made ''bio safer'', you cannot claim any are fully ''bio secure'' or ''bio safe''.

Yep local nets beginning to open up round my way too - albeit my club hasn't yet, think we're putting in the process for booking and guidelines in place, and we need to clean them too! Very much looking forward to getting the pads back on, even if it looks unlikely we'll get any meaningful club cricket in this summer.

Agree that the early July mooted date is probably optimistic - albeit I can definitely see something for August/September.

Also saw that Surrey are looking into how to get 6,000 fans into games, proper socially distanced etc? Not sure if that is just media rumour or not!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 26 May 2020, 3:49 pm

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12174/11994959/west-indies-increasingly-confident-england-tour-will-take-place

Some good news sounds coming from the West Indian camp about the tour - players back in training their end too.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 May 2020, 10:18 am

ECB wrote:The ECB can confirm the group of men’s players who have been asked to return to training, as England Men prepare for the prospect of behind-closed-doors cricket, subject to UK Government clearance.

The ECB continues to work closely with its county partners to provide a safe and efficient return to practice for players, and is grateful for the support of the counties in assisting with the coaching provision across this period.

Squads for specific formats will be announced in due course.

Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Tom Banton (Somerset), Dom Bess (Somerset), Sam Billings (Kent), James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Henry Brookes (Warwickshire), Pat Brown (Worcestershire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Brydon Carse (Durham), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Tom Curran (Surrey), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Joe Denly (Kent), Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire), Laurie Evans (Sussex), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Richard Gleeson (Lancashire), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Sam Hain (Warwickshire), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Will Jacks (Surrey), Keaton Jennings (Lancashire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Yorkshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Yorkshire), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Craig Overton (Somerset), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Matt Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Phil Salt (Sussex), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Reece Topley (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire), Amar Virdi (Surrey), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)

Some notable omissions from that list would be Alex Hales, Jamie Porter, Sam Northeast, Joe Clarke, Gary Ballance (would presume Hales/Clarke are being omitted for their misdemeanors still).

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 29 May 2020, 10:26 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
ECB wrote:The ECB can confirm the group of men’s players who have been asked to return to training, as England Men prepare for the prospect of behind-closed-doors cricket, subject to UK Government clearance.

The ECB continues to work closely with its county partners to provide a safe and efficient return to practice for players, and is grateful for the support of the counties in assisting with the coaching provision across this period.

Squads for specific formats will be announced in due course.

Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Tom Banton (Somerset), Dom Bess (Somerset), Sam Billings (Kent), James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Henry Brookes (Warwickshire), Pat Brown (Worcestershire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Brydon Carse (Durham), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Tom Curran (Surrey), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Joe Denly (Kent), Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire), Laurie Evans (Sussex), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Richard Gleeson (Lancashire), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Sam Hain (Warwickshire), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Will Jacks (Surrey), Keaton Jennings (Lancashire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Tom Kohler-Cadmore (Yorkshire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Yorkshire), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Craig Overton (Somerset), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Matt Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Phil Salt (Sussex), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Reece Topley (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire), Amar Virdi (Surrey), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)

Some notable omissions from that list would be Alex Hales, Jamie Porter, Sam Northeast, Joe Clarke, Gary Ballance (would presume Hales/Clarke are being omitted for their misdemeanors still).

Re. Clarke - Strange that Kohler Cadmore did make the cut.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 May 2020, 10:26 am

Also, looking at the list, a lot of the "surprise" names included are white ball cricketers...which suggests to me that the multi format players will be for the test side only, and they'll use the ODI/T20i games to test out some of those outsider/younger white ball talents. Makes sense, especially with the World T20 likely to be cancelled, or moved to a later date.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 29 May 2020, 9:51 pm

Really surprised by Porter and Northeast being left out I must say. Also quite surprised that Liam Dawson is still involved but it is a huge squad obviously.

England are actually quite well set to have limited cross-over between the test and limited overs sides. Recalling Foakes to keep would allow Buttler and Bairstow to remain in the ODI and T20 side.

Test XI:

1.Burns
2.Sibley
3.Denly
4.Root (c)
5.Stokes
6.Pope
7.Foakes (wk)
8.Archer
9.Leach
10.Broad
11.Anderson

Sam Curran covering Anderson. Crawley covering the batting. Bess covering Leach.

Limited overs XI:

1.Roy
2.Bairstow
3.Malan
4.Morgan (c)
5.Livingstone
6.Buttler (wk)
7.Moeen
8.Woakes
9.T Curran
10.Rashid
11.Wood

The most obvious issues are with Stokes, Root and Archer who are key parts of both sides. Stokes especially.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 29 May 2020, 9:56 pm

I think those are the likely sides Carlos. Pretty impressive depths. Not many sides that could field two separate sides of that quality - maybe India would be the only one.

Only changes I would like to see are Crawley in for Denly, with Stone and Ollie Robinson as back up.

Then Hain in for Malan if they end up with ODIs and Banton in for Malan in T20. Hain’s List A record is brilliant.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 30 May 2020, 5:44 am

Long tail in the Test XI...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 30 May 2020, 8:39 am

Crawley has shown more in his short international career than Denly has plus he has the benefit of youth too. It is a fairly long tail but picking your best front line bowlers is more important for me.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 30 May 2020, 9:52 am

With Broad, Anderson and Leach being red ball only there is not much wiggle room. Suppose you could swap Woakes and Archer, but I’d prefer to have one genuine speedster in each time - so keep Wood and Archer separate. And I can’t justify SCurran over Archer.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 01 Jun 2020, 8:33 pm

The unscheduled break and lack of cricket for everyone might open up selection a bit for a couple of outsider picks. The large training squad does give some opportunity for those fringe players to turn up all guns blazing whilst others are ring rusty.

Test wise I'd say theres a fair bit of uncertainty over Wood, Archer, Anderson and Leach in regard to their endless fitness issues. Moeens return chucks another piece into the mix, hes not exactly had the opportunity to play his way into a recall. Bess has one good test innings, but still has by far the best average from those in the squad. Rashid, Parkinson, Crane, Vidri you have to assume are there for the limited overs and experience but it still leaves a lot of wrong choices for England to make in regard to spinners. Foakes being in also adds that uncertainty around who gets the gloves and how the side gets balanced, perhaps gives weight to Moeens case if they think he can refind batting form.

Jennings Im a little surprised with given how well Sibley and Crawley have done, Im assuming Burns will be fit and hes got zero chance of troubling the limited overs sides.

Disappointing to once again see Billings in the mix, I can only think they see his experience in IPL etc as useful for training whilst theres overlap with the test schedule. I cant believe theyd still be seeing him as having a future in internationals or being an outside pick for the world cup (if it happens). Willey perhaps another in that bracket, he may have felt disappointed about being ditched for the last world cup but he cant moan about not getting chances.

I had half expected Hales to be back in given the amount of press speculation about it, must be doubly gutting for him with no franchise cricket to sulk in. He put himself in this position but seeing Stokes manage to rehabilitate himself as the nicest thug in world cricket must really rub the Phil Salt in the wounds. Duckett too seems to be on a second chance, albeit his misbehavior was pretty mild.

Good chunk of players stepping up from the successful Lions tour to Aus are likely more with an eye to the future and getting them used to being around the senior training squad, but maybe names to watch for the Ashes and good to see England thinking ahead as well as looking back. Also nice to see that they arent all teenagers, theres a few late bloomers in there. England already have more batsmen then they need for T20 but Evans could make himself an option.

All in I cant see any great moans with the squad, no real shocks and it does seem to have an eye on all possibilities including having to run parallel teams with a constricted schedule.

In terms of players coming over the two week isolation thing is a bit of an issue, although they will be able to stay those days together at a training facility. Id also assume they will test the players/staff before coming. The reported infection rates in the West Indies nations are much lower than those in Britain, so the risk of them coming and bringing it with them isn't that high. The bigger risk is them contracting it whilst here. Its something the British do seem to be having a hard time getting their heads around, we seem very focused on being scared about people coming here or going abroad and contracting it. But we are the big risk for foreign travelers and countries should be banning us from going to places as well as thinking twice about coming here whilst our infection rate remains so high.

Im not 100% onboard with the idea of this going ahead but if the governments celebrating big money sports being back on its hard to have a go at cricket for wanting in on it, and the west indies board will do anything for an income. I cant see it not happening even if its a little bit pointless, lets not forget they did their best to make the sri lanka tour happen despite that being a farce even before the covid situation.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 02 Jun 2020, 2:04 pm

July 8th at Ageas Bowl
July 16th at Old Trafford
July 24th at Old Trafford

Three tests confirmed now by ECB against West Indies on those dates and those venues. Excellent news
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 02 Jun 2020, 7:29 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:July 8th at Ageas Bowl

Three tests confirmed now by ECB against West Indies on those dates and those venues. Excellent news

Seems like the West Indies tour party and other sports professionals will get an exemption from quarantine restrictions. Certainly as regards giving them time to prepare for this series, that's to be welcomed. Whether it should apply to others is another matter and probably doesn't belong on this thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 03 Jun 2020, 11:42 am

From what Id read everyone will be staying on site at hotels in the "bio secure" venues for the duration of the tests which is essentially in line with the quarantine principles if not detail anyway. 

One big plus for England in all this is that none of their players are to get pictured in a bar at 3am during the series.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Jun 2020, 12:00 pm

Gooseberry wrote:From what Id read everyone will be staying on site at hotels in the "bio secure" venues for the duration of the tests which is essentially in line with the quarantine principles if not detail anyway. 

One big plus for England in all this is that none of their players are to get pictured in a bar at 3am during the series.

Yep I think so Goose - thus why Ageas Bowl and Old Trafford have been chosen as venues with onsite hotels. From what I've read, the players from each side, match referees and broadcasting will all be kept separated in the hotel also.

Hetmyer, Darren Bravo and Keemo Paul have all apparently opted out of the tour. Hetmyer the only real "player" of those I'd say, albeit he's a bit of a slogger in the red ball stuff
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 03 Jun 2020, 3:11 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:July 8th at Ageas Bowl

Seems like the West Indies tour party and other sports professionals will get an exemption from quarantine restrictions. Certainly as regards giving them time to prepare for this series, that's to be welcomed. Whether it should apply to others is another matter and probably doesn't belong on this thread.

I believe they will be flying over and quarantining at the Ageas prior to the test starting, so no exemption needed. Then as per Goose's comments.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Jun 2020, 8:28 pm

https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1268232227189448704?s=21

One for Goose to have a chuckle at
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 03 Jun 2020, 9:34 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1268232227189448704?s=21

One for Goose to have a chuckle at

Funnily enough Id come here to post a link to the article! TBF England could do with another keeper batsman with only Foakes, Buttler, Bairstow, Pope and Burns available. (And Banton and Bracey).

Ambition is fine but it does come across as a bit delusional. Its not even like he plays for Surrey Whistle Of all the many choices England have around that role and the mid order batting I cannot imagine even the previous regime would've thought Billings was in the mix for red ball.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 03 Jun 2020, 9:49 pm

Also noting the current debate on sweat vs saliva on balls. No further comment.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Jun 2020, 10:38 pm

More good news - all tests came back negative for the West Indies squad and reserves, they will fly out to Manchester in the next 24 hours, and quarantine/train at Old Trafford until the first test. Looks like we’re inching, little by little, to some cricket (must be why it’s suddenly got cold and dreadful rain!)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 09 Jun 2020, 8:34 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:More good news - all tests came back negative for the West Indies squad and reserves, they will fly out to Manchester in the next 24 hours, and quarantine/train at Old Trafford until the first test. Looks like we’re inching, little by little, to some cricket (must be why it’s suddenly got cold and dreadful rain!)

Certainly hope so ! Not having to go into the office much since this virus hit and soon leaving the workforce altogether so will welcome some cricket to watch in the middle of the night...

I remain rather anxious for the general situation for you fellows in the UK : whereas here we seem to have largely dodged a bullet , you are still recording a lot of cases and far too many fatalities . This cricket arrangement seems to have been well thought-through but I am not sure you could say the same for everything else : hope things settle for all your sakes.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 09 Jun 2020, 3:33 pm

alfie wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:More good news - all tests came back negative for the West Indies squad and reserves, they will fly out to Manchester in the next 24 hours, and quarantine/train at Old Trafford until the first test. Looks like we’re inching, little by little, to some cricket (must be why it’s suddenly got cold and dreadful rain!)

Certainly hope so !   Not having to go into the office much since this virus hit and soon leaving the workforce altogether so will welcome some cricket to watch in the middle of the night...

I remain rather anxious for the general situation for you fellows in the UK :  whereas here we seem to have largely dodged a bullet , you are still recording a lot of cases and far too many fatalities . This cricket arrangement seems to have been well thought-through but I am not sure you could say the same for everything else :  hope things settle for all your sakes.

Always a tad reticent to praise the ECB, because they are prone to go and do something stupid tomorrow...but I think they've handled this pandemic as well as they could have done from a cricket perspective. Just have to hope club cricket isn't too adversely effected...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 09 Jun 2020, 3:44 pm

As a non contact sport, it's return should have been the highest priority out of all major UK sports, I don't think it will be too badly affected by a lack of crowd noise as unfortunately that is fairly standard for the county game anyway.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 11 Jun 2020, 1:58 pm

Probably known by most on here, BBC are showing highlights of some past England vs Windies Tests. Lord's 1984 is on iplayer so far and worth a watch for the inventive headgear of the England tailenders alone

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 11 Jun 2020, 4:10 pm

VTR wrote:Probably known by most on here, BBC are showing highlights of some past England vs Windies Tests. Lord's 1984 is on iplayer so far and worth a watch for the inventive headgear of the England tailenders alone

Some may recall that I pushed hard a few years back for Gordon Greenidge to be included in our Hall of Fame. Highlights of day 5 from the Lord's 1984 Test make the case far better than I ever could.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 11 Jun 2020, 4:17 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52892535

With 20,000 runs for Somerset over 12 summers I think IVA is a worthy winner there. An interesting poll. I must say I'm surprised that Malcolm Marshall and Mike Proctor didn't get a few more votes.

Sanga being voted as Surrey's greatest ahead of Saqlain Mushtaq (who the BBC refer to as a leg spinner presumably mixing him up with Mushtaq Ahmed...) suggest a lower average age for voters though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 11 Jun 2020, 6:59 pm

I've never seen highlights of that match before, what a fantastic innings from Greenidge. I'd also never clocked before that Botham put in probably one of the best all round performances in a losing cause there has ever been

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 12 Jun 2020, 10:05 am

Showing that test is likely only going to highlight just how limp this tour is!

Im hoping for some interesting twists in terms of close games with sings in momentum as often seems to be the case with fragile flakey England in recent times, but i dont think we can expect performances on the Greenidge/Botham level across the board. the time off may have helped the fatigue and recovery of players but the lack of training and competitive cricket is going to affect the quality in two teams which are lacking a bit in that regard anyway.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 12 Jun 2020, 10:50 am

Gooseberry wrote:Showing that test is likely only going to highlight just how limp this tour is!

Im hoping for some interesting twists in terms of close games with sings in momentum as  often seems to be the case with fragile flakey England in recent times, but i dont think we can expect performances on the Greenidge/Botham level across the board.  the time off may have helped the fatigue and recovery of players but the lack of training and competitive cricket is going to affect the quality in two teams which are lacking a bit in that regard anyway.

Hi goose - sure but a bowl of lukewarm porridge is a banquet to a starving man and most of us are very hungry.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 Jun 2020, 11:21 am

Looking at the respective sides, I would expect a pretty low scoring series. Think both have good bowling attacks on paper...the WIndies quicks tend to do alright over here, Roach is good, Holder suits English conditions...but looking at their batting lineup, I'd fancy us to knock them over pretty cheaply more times than not.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 12 Jun 2020, 11:39 am

England are England so will have still have the odd collapse but I think there's potential to post a couple of more than decent scores if the top three gel and create a platform, if and it's a big if Crawley plays then he needs to make he plays his natural game at three instead of letting himself get bogged down.

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 12 Jun 2020, 12:21 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:England are England so will have still have the odd collapse but I think there's potential to post a couple of more than decent scores if the top three gel and create a platform, if and it's a big if Crawley plays then he needs to make he plays his natural game at three instead of letting himself get bogged down.

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
With Root potentially missing a Test for the birth of his kid I think that Buttler will be kept in the Test side and potentially skipper in his absence. The coaches really rate him as a leader and may not want to pile that extra pressure on Stokes who is already key in 3 formats, an all rounder and our best fielder so usually at gully or point.

That said I'd love Foakes to get another chance. He's a truly brilliant gloveman and very solid bat at 7.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 12 Jun 2020, 12:41 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Looking at the respective sides, I would expect a pretty low scoring series. Think both have good bowling attacks on paper...the WIndies quicks tend to do alright over here, Roach is good, Holder suits English conditions...but looking at their batting lineup, I'd fancy us to knock them over pretty cheaply more times than not.

Would expect more two digit scores than 400+ scores, especially if this overcast weather keeps up.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 12 Jun 2020, 12:46 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:England are England so will have still have the odd collapse but I think there's potential to post a couple of more than decent scores if the top three gel and create a platform, if and it's a big if Crawley plays then he needs to make he plays his natural game at three instead of letting himself get bogged down.

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
With Root potentially missing a Test for the birth of his kid I think that Buttler will be kept in the Test side and potentially skipper in his absence. The coaches really rate him as a leader and may not want to pile that extra pressure on Stokes who is already key in 3 formats, an all rounder and our best fielder so usually at gully or point.

That said I'd love Foakes to get another chance. He's a truly brilliant gloveman and very solid bat at 7.

I can't imagine with a squad that size that mixing the test team and ODI team is in the mind of the selectors myself, if Buttler plays in the tests then presumably he won't playing for the ODI team.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 13 Jun 2020, 9:35 am

Lukewarm porridge or not I am definitely looking forward to this. We probably will see performances more from the Bopara/Devon Smith playbook than Botham/Greenidge, but some live Test cricket to follow (aka still the best distraction for office work), bring it on

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Jun 2020, 10:49 am

[quote="VTR"]Lukewarm porridge or not I am definitely looking forward to this. We probably will see performances more from the Bopara/Devon Smith playbook than Botham/Greenidge, but some live Test cricket to follow (aka still the best distraction for office work), bring it on[/quote]

Exactly. As I said, we are very hungry for it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 17 Jun 2020, 3:03 pm

Noises from australia suggest the world T20 is likely to be shelves. In sure that will delight a few purists but it looks like some baby bear porridge tests could be the best we get for a while.

Mind theres always the 100! (Tumbleweed)

Is there any plans for a warm up game of any kind? Might be fun on some level to have a England v England knock about given hie massive their squad is.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 17 Jun 2020, 4:16 pm

BBC wrote:England training group: Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Dom Bess (Somerset), James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Keaton Jennings (Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

30 man training squad for the Windies series has been named. Moeen back in test contention.

A bit surprised that both Overton brothers have made it I must say. Craig has often struck me as lacking a bit of pace or control of swing. Jamie on the other hand has leaked runs when I've seen him live. I think I'd take the likes of Jamie Porter, Josh Tongue, Richard Gleeson and Ben Coad over Jamie in particular.

Good to see Olly Stone back after injury.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 17 Jun 2020, 7:18 pm

king_carlos wrote:
BBC wrote:England training group: Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jofra Archer (Sussex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Dom Bess (Somerset), James Bracey (Gloucestershire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Keaton Jennings (Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Jamie Overton (Somerset), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Olly Stone (Warwickshire), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

30 man training squad for the Windies series has been named. Moeen back in test contention.

A bit surprised that both Overton brothers have made it I must say. Craig has often struck me as lacking a bit of pace or control of swing. Jamie on the other hand has leaked runs when I've seen him live. I think I'd take the likes of Jamie Porter, Josh Tongue, Richard Gleeson and Ben Coad over Jamie in particular.

Good to see Olly Stone back after injury.

It must be pretty embarrassing to be a fit England qualified seamer and not made that cut, certainly seem to be keeping their options open!
I wonder how much its that they want a few fairly sharp bowlers like Overton around for the nets to get the batsmens eyes in without wanting Archer or Wood to bowl more than their 10 injury free overs for the season.
Five spinners might be a bit of overkill too.

Feels a little overkill, but I suppose its better to have them all together training in what in theory should be a higher quality more intense environment then at their counties. In effect youre looking at a pretty unique situation for England where they can have what amounts to a joint Lions and senior training group together at the same time. The dressing room must be packed mind.  Doesnt really give any more clues on intentions for how the test side will shape up other than confirming that the long term sick notes must all be considered fit (Great news for Leach who's really been through it)

Poor old Billings' dreams dashed .....no space for a 6th reserve keeper ?

Edit - reading the cricinfo article they seem to be pushing the idea that Lawrence is in line for a test place, but that smacks more of looking for a angle than any inside tip (as per their speculation re: Hales). Its hard to see how he gets in a congested England middle order.

Also appears they are playing a 3 day warm up game (against themselves?) before cutting to a slightly less bloated 20.

White ball squad will continue to be coached by Collingwood and a few county specialists by the sounds of it. Probably works out pretty well for everyone, I assume the counties are happy to have as many players and staffs wages covered by the ECB as possible whilst they have no income.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 17 Jun 2020, 8:17 pm

Gooseberry wrote: ...

It must be pretty embarrassing to be a fit England qualified seamer and not made that cut, certainly seem to be keeping their options open!
I wonder how much its that they want a few fairly sharp bowlers like Overton around for the nets to get the batsmens eyes in without wanting Archer or Wood to bowl more than their 10 injury free overs for the season.

Feels a little overkill, but I suppose its better to have them all together training in what in theory should be a higher quality more intense environment then at their counties. In effect youre looking at a pretty unique situation for England where they can have what amounts to a joint Lions and senior training group together at the same time. The dressing room must be packed mind.  Doesnt really give any more clues on intentions for how the test side will shape up other than confirming that the long term sick notes must all be considered fit (Great news for Leach who's really been through it)

Allows Olly's Virdi dream train to keep running. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 17 Jun 2020, 9:19 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Gooseberry wrote: ...

Allows Olly's Virdi dream train to keep running. Wink
Of those finger spinners in Moeen, Leach, Bess and Virdi I'd say that the young Surrey man has impressed me most as a wicket taker. I'd say his fielding is a fair way off test level from what little I've seen of him for Surrey though. Parkinson could do with his fielding coming on a fair way as well. England's outfielding is exceptional these days. It improved out of sight in the ODI side and then that transferred over into Tests it seems.

The spinner for the first test will be an interesting call. Leach impressed last summer prior to illness. Bess took a five-fer in his last test. The selectors have always liked Moeen for the depth he gives the batting order.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 18 Jun 2020, 8:33 am

They really should be broadcasting that inter squad three day game - would be quite a good watch I suspect!

In more good news, Archer tweeted yesterday that scans on his elbow injury came back all clear and recovered, so he *should* be back to full pelt.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 18 Jun 2020, 9:21 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:They really should be broadcasting that inter squad three day game - would be quite a good watch I suspect!

I would still be up for watching it but suspect this may be a 14 or 15 a side game with players flipflopping in and out as sometimes happens on tour. If so, that would be less appealing to broadcasters and some viewers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 18 Jun 2020, 3:29 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:They really should be broadcasting that inter squad three day game - would be quite a good watch I suspect!

I would still be up for watching it but suspect this may be a 14 or 15 a side game with players flipflopping in and out as sometimes happens on tour. If so, that would be less appealing to broadcasters and some viewers.
Keaton Jennings opening up against Anderson coming round the wicket would be particularly entertaining I imagine. A good player of spin Jennings but the second it starts swinging you'd think he has a 5 foot wide off stump given some of the deliveries he flirts with.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 19 Jun 2020, 8:48 am

guildfordbat wrote:

Don't doubt most wouldn't watch, but a sad case like me who's working from home for the foreseeable would watch any form of live cricket at this moment! Very Happy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next