The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

+44
Highland Shaun
MichaelT
BigTrevsbigmac
Blueschief
TJ
Gooseberry
Heaf
Kingshu
Maine man
doctor_grey
Pete330v2
profitius
Old Man
bluestonevedder
Rinsure
sensisball
prop_lyd
EST
chris_501
Mr Bounce
Bathite
LeinsterFan4life
SirBurger
Recwatcher16
BamBam
BigGee
Margin_Walker
Cumbrian
Maddogflanker
Sgt_Pooly
Hazel Sapling
Welly
WELL-PAST-IT
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
Welshmushroom
TightHEAD
mikey_dragon
king_carlos
Geordie
LondonTiger
NeilyBroon
RiscaGame
formerly known as Sam
48 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 05 May 2020, 6:07 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:It’s an unfortunate coincidence I think, but his injury record was exemplary before he linked up with Bath.

His last lengthy injury was a collarbone issue suffered in a Wales training camp. Probably a bit of a mixed bag. It's hard once you start getting injuries to get out of the cycle as often one leads to another, Falatau managed to break the same arm some four or five months apart. Something Billy Vunipola managed as well.

I think Carlos is right. With the financial squeeze clubs are going to look for more value for money and less marquee names. Johnny May certainly found that when he went to discuss his new contract as did Ben Youngs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 12 May 2020, 10:16 am

Luke Jones and Kurtley Beale sign for Racing with Big Ben heading out the door (linked to Bristol).

Chris Cook leaves Bath for Bristol which is an odd one as they have two good young scrum halfs. Is he replacing the Aussie as third choice?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by RiscaGame Tue 12 May 2020, 11:08 am

Racing's backline is crazy.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 12 May 2020, 12:30 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Racing's backline is crazy.

Something like;

9. Irabren
10. Russell
11. Thomas
12. Chavancy
13. Vakatawa
14. Zebo
15. Beale

That's certainly ridiculous. Russell and Beale in the same backline really should be box office.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 12 May 2020, 1:38 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Racing's backline is crazy.

Something like;

9. Irabren
10. Russell
11. Thomas
12. Chavancy
13. Vakatawa
14. Zebo
15. Beale

That's certainly ridiculous. Russell and Beale in the same backline really should be box office.

As each year passes Racing look more like a Barbarians side... Who train together regularly. A scary prospect!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 13 May 2020, 2:36 pm

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/36528/revealed-where-alex-goode-will-be-playing-next-season-after-agreeing-terms-to-leave-saracens/

Alex Goode going to NEC in Japan for a year rather than play in the Championship with Sarries.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 13 May 2020, 2:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/36528/revealed-where-alex-goode-will-be-playing-next-season-after-agreeing-terms-to-leave-saracens/

Alex Goode going to NEC in Japan for a year rather than play in the Championship with Sarries.

Assuming the next Japanese season goes ahead, seems sensible.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 13 May 2020, 3:29 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/36528/revealed-where-alex-goode-will-be-playing-next-season-after-agreeing-terms-to-leave-saracens/

Assuming the next Japanese season goes ahead, seems sensible.

By 2021 they should be able to get their league going. They might push it back to Feb but would still be able to finish by May as usual. Would give Goode plenty of recovery time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 13 May 2020, 3:58 pm

Are many of the English teams actually announcing signings etc?

Leicester seem the only side ive heard announcing major signings etc?

Im just VERY concerned at the total silence coming from us....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 13 May 2020, 6:22 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Are many of the English teams actually announcing signings etc?

Most the Tigers signings in the senior squad were signed (or rumoured to be signed...) a while back. The development squad signings won't have cost much. Plus Cam Henderson and Olly Chessum were previously involved in the academy.

Only recent movement seems to have be Matt Scott. A really strong signing but odd situation. By my understanding Scott had agreed a deal with Edinburgh, it was decided that the playing budget couldn't stretch to that, so Cockers contacted Tigers to say Scott was available.

I share your concern for a few clubs. At best many will be operating well below the salary cap next season. Peter Tom (Tigers chairman) had an online interview a week or so ago in which he mentioned Tigers are in a stronger financial position than many as they are yet to spend their CVC money. For clubs who have spent it already (some clubs have paid off debt to owners using it for instance) the lack of gate receipts could be fatal.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 13 May 2020, 6:38 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Are many of the English teams actually announcing signings etc?

I imagine there's a few clubs with their summer shopping only half completed waiting to see what happens. Given the season hasn't finished yet it's all up in the air a bit and players might not want to confirm moving clubs if things get interesting next month. Some players could be going back to training this month and expected to play in June before joining a different club in July.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 13 May 2020, 8:37 pm

Of the players leaving Scarlets with (currently) nowhere to go, Johnathan Evans (scrum half) and Kieron Fonotia (centre) are two that should be on a few teams shopping list. I hope we at least get Evans back.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 14 May 2020, 8:55 am

I'd have thought Fonotia would have had some offers. Decent centre available all year round.

Worcester have signed Kvesic from Exeter and Batley from Bristol. Batley will suit how Worcester want to play in that he's big and mobile so will probably be a good option for them at 6 as opposed to lock. Odd move for Kvesic to go from the top of the table to the bottom.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 14 May 2020, 9:55 am

I still dont get why Kvesic hasnt had much England involvment...at a time when we had no 7's.

Anyway...Worcester is his club isnt it? Probably just heading back home.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 14 May 2020, 10:06 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I still dont get why Kvesic hasnt had much England involvment...at a time when we had no 7's.

Anyway...Worcester is his club isnt it? Probably just heading back home.

He came through their academy but according to Wiki played his youth rugby and went to school in Devon. Given the opportunity I'd be staying Devon as opposed to Worcester but I suppose you could love Malvern way or possibly commute from Cheltenham.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 14 May 2020, 1:18 pm

I expect Kvesic is a case of moving for the bigger offer. Chiefs have a lot of back row talent and have signed Aaron Hinckley as a replacement for Kvesic.

I've always really rated Kvesic and thought he deserved more chances with England. The sharpening up of breakdown interpretations affected his ruck work though. He was one of many opensides who attacked beyond the ball and let players trying clear him out drive him back into the jackal position. Once refs tightened up calls with attacking beyond the ball being off feet I felt his breakdown work was less effective. Still a very good player who has become more rounded at Chiefs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 15 May 2020, 11:55 am

Malcolm Marx alongside Ruan Vermaak, Tyrone Green, Shaun Reynolds and coach Neil de Bruin, have duly decided to take advantage and depart the Lions by cancelling their contracts. Marx is off to Japan.

Ackerman has left Glaws and is also headed to Japan which is a blow to Glass, this season was tough for them but the previous two seasons had been a marked improvement. With a couple of big names that weren't automatic starters leaving it was a great chance to freshen up their side.

Re Kvesic I was a little surprised Chiefs didn't keep him in a mentor role for Hinckley and instead let Armand move on as he's three years older than Kvesic. I guess the Wuss money was pretty good though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 15 May 2020, 2:06 pm

As a Bath fan just like to say how surprised I am to hear Ackerman has moved on. Yahoo
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 15 May 2020, 3:33 pm

TightHEAD wrote:As a Bath fan just like to say how surprised I am to hear Ackerman has moved on. Yahoo

Would you be happier if it had been Hooper gone instead?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 15 May 2020, 5:24 pm

Arno Botha heading back to Bulls from Munster. Jake White continues to rebuild.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 15 May 2020, 5:41 pm

The player drain from the Bulls has been massive. Good to hear they are getting one or two back. Arno is at prime age at 28. You'd have thought he could get a deal in Europe if he'd wanted one even with Covid and the French limiting the number of non French qualified players. Good result from White.

Just hope they don't come back for Liebenburg want him at Tigers long term.

I wonder how many more SA sides are due to announce poached players like the Lions have what with players eligible to opt out of contracts in order for their clubs to save money.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 16 May 2020, 10:48 am

SA usually like their back-row players tall. Arno at 6’2 definitely isn’t short, but with PSDT almost 6’7 and the likes of Vermeulen, Burger, Smith, Alberts, Van Niekirk... Perhaps they’ve learned with the CJ Stander thing. Good for him and SA to get some more players back. 
As a flanker, I still don’t see Kolisi as a great player especially compared to what they regularly put out in SA. That Bulls 7 looks pretty good but I can’t remember his name.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 16 May 2020, 11:14 am

Van Standen?

I don't think Botha will get near the Boks because their pack is outrageous and as you say the like a blindside that helps dominate the lineout. The Bulls might not be so fussed and at 6ft 2 he'd still be a more than adequate third or fourth jumper. As long as he isn't supposed to cover for a lock who isn't great at the lineout he'll be fine.

With France limiting their non FQ numbers it could be a good time for SA squads to bring players back. Or it would be if Covid wasn't hitting them all hard financially.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 16 May 2020, 11:27 am

Yeah him. Pretty stocky and strong, perfect fetcher. 

Arno has been capped and probably still has international aspirations. He may have improved a lot since he left. He might get more caps but I’m not sure who else they have coming through at 8. I get what you’re saying though. For me SA regularly have the best forwards in world rugby. 

Are France really doing that though? Bordeaux aside they’re basically Barbarians.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 16 May 2020, 12:28 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rugbypass.com/news/changing-top-14-rules-mean-fewer-raids-on-southern-rugby/

This explains it. It's far from straight forward mind. Given the move away from monetary fines for not fielding enough JIFF players to docking points there will be a change.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 18 May 2020, 10:53 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:The player drain from the Bulls has been massive. Good to hear they are getting one or two back. Arno is at prime age at 28. You'd have thought he could get a deal in Europe if he'd wanted one even with Covid and the French limiting the number of non French qualified players. Good result from White.

I wonder how many more SA sides are due to announce poached players like the Lions have what with players eligible to opt out of contracts in order for their clubs to save money.

Arno may be in his prime. That said I didnt think he was that good for Munster. Squad player for them at best. Not sure he is the kind of quality you want to build your first team around.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 18 May 2020, 1:12 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:The player drain from the Bulls has been massive. Good to hear they are getting one or two back. Arno is at prime age at 28. You'd have thought he could get a deal in Europe if he'd wanted one even with Covid and the French limiting the number of non French qualified players. Good result from White.

Arno may be in his prime.  That said I didnt think he was that good for Munster.  Squad player for them at best.  Not sure he is the kind of quality you want to build your first team around.

It's bringing someone in from a winning environment and a different environment. Can help offer experience and leadership as well as a big lump that can hit things. The Bulls squad was gutted with a lot of big names going Snyman, Jenkins, Liebenburg (Bok under 20s captain), Vermulen and Lood de Jaeger. Pollard from the backline as well. Last summer was tough on them and they brought back Josh Strauss and Morne Steyn to help then so it seems a similar strategy. Give the young guys some experience to guide them

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 18 May 2020, 6:18 pm

Carl Fearns signs for Rouen. Bit of a weird one.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 18 May 2020, 6:42 pm

Ben Franks is joining Scarlets as scrum coach. Not sure if it’s a good appointment given he hasn’t coached before? Scarlets also promoted their academy coach Richard Kelly to forwards coach. Their team for next season is pretty good so I guess we’ll see how good or average these coaches are.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 19 May 2020, 9:42 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Carl Fearns signs for Rouen. Bit of a weird one.

Must be enjoying the life in France.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 May 2020, 10:07 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Must be enjoying the life in France.

But a club struggling at the bottom of ProD2? Ok they've got Richard Hill in charge and a few former AP players but you'd have thought he could have gone for a team either eying up promotion to the Top14 or a club towards the bottom of the Top14 if his priority was staying in France

Perhaps it was the only concrete offer on the table and he wanted the security for him and his family. It's pretty much the opposite side of France to wear he is currently. Easy commute back to family in the UK though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 19 May 2020, 2:02 pm

Maybe hes at the stage in his life he wants to chill...enjoy some rugby, in a nice area etc.

He's probably still on a good wage.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 19 May 2020, 2:07 pm

Sums up Carl Fearns.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 May 2020, 2:26 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Maybe hes at the stage in his life he wants to chill...enjoy some rugby, in a nice area etc.

He's probably still on a good wage.

He's 30 and imminently 31. This is his last prime contract. I doubt Rouen are in the big spender category. Especially if they end up relegated. I'm sure it's a lovely part of Northern France but I'd have thought the weather and the money would have been in the South. Maybe they are gearing up for a big push towards promotion.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 May 2020, 10:32 pm

Siva Naulago the British Army Fijian winger joins Bristol from Hull in Rugby League. The "Tank of the Flank" has scored 17 in 21 for Hull. The Bristol backline is going to be something to behold next season, a lot of power and pace though probably not that much tactical thinking.

Randall, Sheedy, Morahan, O'Connor, Radarara, Naulago, Piatau

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 19 May 2020, 11:08 pm

Incredible backline and back-row. Not sure about their front 5? They look competitive but probably not among the best of the prem.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 20 May 2020, 8:54 am

They've got a couple of good tightheads and the most mobile hooker in the league. Second row is as you say a bit average and I'm a little surprised they've not spent some money on a loosehead. They didn't get their hands on local boy Genge but that might have been because he decided he didn't want to return home just yet.

They should be gunning for a top 4 spot with all their attacking talent and ability to open teams up. Defensively they aren't the best and can get bullied up front. That's how they ended up losing to Tigers which in terms of form really shouldn't have happened.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 21 May 2020, 12:02 pm

Young (not the coach) extends his stay at Wasps.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 21 May 2020, 12:09 pm

Rumour of howley going there as the head coach also. Not sure if that's been mentioned.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 21 May 2020, 12:15 pm

Pieter-Steph du Toit recommits with SA after having reportedly activated the release clause that the Boks players had the option of.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 21 May 2020, 12:19 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Rumour of howley going there as the head coach also. Not sure if that's been mentioned.

Yeah I seen that rumour banding about. Good luck with that Wasps.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 May 2020, 12:21 pm

king_carlos wrote:Pieter-Steph du Toit recommits with SA after having reportedly activated the release clause that the Boks players had the option of.

Sounds a bit fishy. Did someone offer him a whopping contract and then withdraw it at the last minute or did he decide that he didn't want to travel which was a condition of the contract. I bet there's more to that story.

7&1/2 Lee Blackett is the head coach as he was in Dai Young's tenure. As I understand it Wasps have currently done away with the DOR position. Rob Howley was mentioned before Blackett was confirmed as continuing and Howley has been mentioned in connection with the vacant Glaws job though that could be an in-house appointment.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 21 May 2020, 12:45 pm

Aparently JP Socino is going to Saracens for their stint in the championship. Currently in Spain playing.

Now thats a player we should never have allowed to leave. But he's probably not the same player now...will do well for them in the championship.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 21 May 2020, 12:56 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Aparently JP Socino is going to Saracens for their stint in the championship. Currently in Spain playing.

Now thats a player we should never have allowed to leave. But he's probably not the same player now...will do well for them in the championship.
When he left Edinburgh I quite hoped that Tigers might sign him. A really underrated player. He will do well with Sarries you'd imagine. Presumably he will be filling Lozowski's place in the Sarries squad.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 May 2020, 12:57 pm

By the sounds of it Sarries are pilfering a lot of good Championship players for next season. It's a good chance for them to try a few out and see how they do whilst some of the current squad are out on loan.

Not surprised to see them acquire Socino for a season. Knows the league well, fits into their abrasive style of play and runs hard from 12 as they like. Given Barritt is rumoured to be retiring, Thompkins is being linked to a loan at a Welsh region, Lozowski is allegedly off (Tolouse or Bath) and Taylor has been offered to Scottish sides probably indicating the end of his stint there then centres are something they'll need. They've got a Tongan and a development player they'll be able to use but another experienced option is a good choice.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 May 2020, 2:43 pm

Ben Te'o allegedly weighing up offers from Bath and Brisbane Broncos in Rugby League. Bath deal is supposed to be for two years and he'd be a like for like replacement for Jamie Roberts.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 21 May 2020, 3:46 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Ben Te'o allegedly weighing up offers from Bath and Brisbane Broncos in Rugby League. Bath deal is supposed to be for two years and he'd be a like for like replacement for Jamie Roberts.

Old pro on high salary who never actually plays?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 May 2020, 3:58 pm

lostinwales wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Ben Te'o allegedly weighing up offers from Bath and Brisbane Broncos in Rugby League. Bath deal is supposed to be for two years and he'd be a like for like replacement for Jamie Roberts.

Old pro on high salary who never actually plays?

Bingo. Used to be a powerful runner now struggles to run and is probably too big to be effective.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 22 May 2020, 1:38 pm

Dragons are set to sign Joe Maksymiw, formerly of Connacht and Tigers.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 22 May 2020, 2:02 pm

Barely played at Tigers. If I remember rightly a lineout lock that got himself knocked out on his debut. Came through the academy but didn't quite make the step up though considering our near nonexistent development pathway at that point...

Sounds like he'd started getting more regular game time at Connacht before Covid interruption. Hope he goes on to be a success for you as he's from the next town across to me. Good to see a local lad do well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next