The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Covid-19 serious chat thread

+33
Mind the windows Tino.
BigGee
Fernando
Scottrf
Derbymanc
No 7&1/2
JuliusHMarx
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
Jetty
Cyril
JDizzle
Luckless Pedestrian
Pal Joey
Dolphin Ziggler
BamBam
MrInvisible
LordDowlais
rodders
tigertattie
Pr4wn
navyblueshorts
lostinwales
WELL-PAST-IT
Samo
jimbopip
guildfordbat
Duty281
GSC
king_carlos
37 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Covid-19 serious chat thread - Page 4 Empty The Covid-19 serious chat thread

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 25 May 2020, 7:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Self-isolating, social distancing, locked down thread split.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

The Covid-19 serious chat thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Covid-19 serious chat thread

Post by guildfordbat Wed 03 Jun 2020, 9:37 pm

Business Secretary Alok Sharma reported to be self isolating and tested for coronavirus after feeling unwell in the Commons earlier.

If the test is positive, there'll be a few anxious he may have passed it on to them. Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

The Covid-19 serious chat thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Covid-19 serious chat thread

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 04 Jun 2020, 9:50 am

Duty281 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52907101

Lockdown? What lockdown?
It's OK, they're being woke...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 04 Jun 2020, 9:51 am

guildfordbat wrote:Business Secretary Alok Sharma reported to be self isolating and tested for coronavirus after feeling unwell in the Commons earlier.

If the test is positive, there'll be a few anxious he may have passed it on to them. Rolling Eyes
What a moron. He expects me to believe he felt fine prior to actually speaking? Suggest he knew he felt 'below par' earlier in the day and yet he still attended the House to speak. Cretin.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 04 Jun 2020, 10:44 am

Yesterday Britain recorded more new deaths than the rest of Europe put together.

I know that there have been lots of arguments about the morality of politicising a pandemic....but this is unacceptable. If the Adulterer In Cheif and his Cohort of Clowns survive this then Great Britain should enter a team for the Moron Olympics; we'd top the medals table there for sure.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 04 Jun 2020, 10:59 am

jimbopip wrote:
Yesterday Britain recorded more new deaths than the rest of Europe put together.

I know that there have been lots of arguments about the morality of politicising a pandemic....but this is unacceptable. If the Adulterer In Cheif and his Cohort of  Clowns survive this then Great Britain should enter a team for the Moron Olympics; we'd top the medals table there for sure.

'World beating'

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:16 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

Lockdown? What lockdown?

Ok Boomer Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:22 am

Did you see Johnson leaving the Commons yesterday, compete disregard for social distancing, going up close to people, walking in the areas marked to be avoided. If he can behave like that and ignore all the rules that his government have laid down, even after his "near death experience", what the hell hope is there for the rest of us. A large number of people will see that and think it acceptable.

I wouldn't care to much if they only got themselves infected, but they will infect others who are trying to be sensible.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:23 am

jimbopip wrote:

I know that there have been lots of arguments about the morality of politicising a pandemic....but this is unacceptable.

What's maddening is that many of those who won't hear a bad word said about the UK, who think we're the greatest nation on earth, are the most forgiving of the government, when surely they should be the most furious at what's happening. I don't get it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:25 am

I assume, WPI, that he assumes he now has immunity from the virus - and why would we expect him to give a flying fig about anyone else's wellbeing?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:31 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Did you see Johnson leaving the Commons yesterday, compete disregard for social distancing, going up close to people, walking in the areas marked to be avoided. If he can behave like that and ignore all the rules that his government have laid down, even after his "near death experience", what the hell hope is there for the rest of us. A large number of people will see that and think it acceptable.

I wouldn't care to much if they only got themselves infected, but they will infect others who are trying to be sensible.

This bothers you but no word about the far more pressing concern of the protesters, hmm...

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:31 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Business Secretary Alok Sharma reported to be self isolating and tested for coronavirus after feeling unwell in the Commons earlier.

What a moron. He expects me to believe he felt fine prior to actually speaking? Suggest he knew he felt 'below par' earlier in the day and yet he still attended the House to speak. Cretin.

If the leader of their party almost dying of this virus doesn't make them take it seriously, nothing will.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:36 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

I know that there have been lots of arguments about the morality of politicising a pandemic....but this is unacceptable.

What's maddening is that many of those who won't hear a bad word said about the UK, who think we're the greatest nation on earth, are the most forgiving of the government, when surely they should be the most furious at what's happening. I don't get it.

Their argument will be that it would have been worse under "the other lot".

It is not dissimilar to the situation in the States. DJT keeps telling everyone what a great job he is doing combating this, how it is everyone else's fault and the world would be much worse with "sleepy Joe". Plenty of people believe him - I know some of them personally (Yanks and Brits) and anything said against him is driven by malice, jealousy and "fake news".

We have become so polarised in our politics that very few people are ever willing to concede that their opponents have done anything well, and thus everyone also gets very defensive. We have also been convinced that politics is only populated by lying, self serving attention seekers - and thus we accept it as the norm and excuse it far too often.

As someone descended from Yorkshire Colliery and Foundry workers I despised pretty much everything about Margaret Thatcher's politics - but at least she had principles. I may have disagreed with them but she believed in what she did. The current mob seem completely amoral - but they are "fun" supposedly.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:41 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Did you see Johnson leaving the Commons yesterday, compete disregard for social distancing, going up close to people, walking in the areas marked to be avoided. If he can behave like that and ignore all the rules that his government have laid down, even after his "near death experience", what the hell hope is there for the rest of us. A large number of people will see that and think it acceptable.

This bothers you but no word about the far more pressing concern of the protesters, hmm...

This is a thread that is notionally about covid and those are separate issues - and it is also about the example set by those who should know better.

As it is I suspect strongly that the protests world wide will lead to a spike of infections a few weeks from now, which is likely, sadly, going to be their main achievement.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:49 am

It's about the issues that you care about but we'll ignore instances that are potentially far more damaging to the country because it doesn't suit your collective agenda, i'm with you now.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Jun 2020, 11:54 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

Lockdown? What lockdown?

Indeed. I'm amazed Glastonbury isn't going ahead!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 04 Jun 2020, 12:05 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:It's about the issues that you care about but we'll ignore instances that are potentially far more damaging to the country because it doesn't suit your collective agenda, i'm with you now.

Can you (briefly) clarify what those instances are?

Most damaging issue is Covid,

Next most damaging is Brexit but that is apparently done and dusted with no deal on the way so we can't talk about it.

What else?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 04 Jun 2020, 12:37 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Their argument will be that it would have been worse under "the other lot".

It is not dissimilar to the situation in the States. DJT keeps telling everyone what a great job he is doing combating this, how it is everyone else's fault and the world would be much worse with "sleepy Joe". Plenty of people believe him - I know some of them personally (Yanks and Brits) and anything said against him is driven by malice, jealousy and "fake news".

We have become so polarised in our politics that very few people are ever willing to concede that their opponents have done anything well, and thus everyone also gets very defensive. We have also been convinced that politics is only populated by lying, self serving attention seekers - and thus we accept it as the norm and excuse it far too often.

As someone descended from Yorkshire Colliery and Foundry workers I despised pretty much everything about Margaret Thatcher's politics - but at least she had principles. I may have disagreed with them but she believed in what she did. The current mob seem completely amoral - but they are "fun" supposedly.

Oftentimes when I see our current PM mouthing lies all I can hear is Groucho Marx saying, "Gentlemen, those are my priciples...and if you don't like them...I can get others!"
I never thought the Tories would produce a PM who made me nostalgic for Der Iron Madchen.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 04 Jun 2020, 12:38 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
Samo wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:It's about the issues that you care about but we'll ignore instances that are potentially far more damaging to the country because it doesn't suit your collective agenda, i'm with you now.

To be fair he gave your shoddy attempt at whataboutery more of a response than it deserved.

More great input from you Samo, I just do not know how you've not achieved more with such brainpower.

I don't consider it whataboutery to point out that there's been next to no comment from those on here about the protests yesterday despite the fact they are likely to have an impact on Covid-19 cases, do keep up the good work though.

I have. What other issues? Still not answered

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 04 Jun 2020, 12:43 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
Samo wrote:

To be fair he gave your shoddy attempt at whataboutery more of a response than it deserved.

More great input from you Samo, I just do not know how you've not achieved more with such brainpower.

I don't consider it whataboutery to point out that there's been next to no comment from those on here about the protests yesterday despite the fact they are likely to have an impact on Covid-19 cases, do keep up the good work though.

I explained that in my first post today, perhaps get past the anger of someone having the temerity to have a different opinion.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 04 Jun 2020, 1:07 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
Samo wrote:

I explained that in my first post today, perhaps get past the anger of someone having the temerity to have a different opinion.

First post you wrote on this thread was

Soul wrote:This bothers you but no word about the far more pressing concern of the protesters, hmm...

unless you are referencing another post elsewhere on this site.

Have to say that this post doesn't explain anything, hence the questions.

To paraphrase Starmer's words I am just trying to scrutinize not attack

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Jun 2020, 1:08 pm

Can we try not to conflate this with feelings about the protests. It would be very easy to make a thread about those in the off-topic section

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 04 Jun 2020, 1:18 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
Samo wrote:

First post you wrote on this thread was

Soul wrote:This bothers you but no word about the far more pressing concern of the protesters, hmm...

unless you are referencing another post elsewhere on this site.

Have to say that this post doesn't explain anything, hence the questions.

To paraphrase Starmer's words I am just trying to scrutinize not attack

The issue of people ignoring social distancing in order to protest, it literally says it in the post.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 04 Jun 2020, 1:24 pm

Perhaps they had all recently had coronavirus and wanted to check their eyesight was ok at a local beauty spot?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 04 Jun 2020, 1:51 pm

The protesters are more worried about what is happening in the USofTrump than Covid, not clever admittedly, but I can see their point even if i cannot condone the lack of thought with the distancing.

Johnson, was just being Johnson; I make the rules you obey them. I of course am above them, so is my boss Mr. Cummings.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 04 Jun 2020, 2:30 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
Samo wrote:

Someone made a comment about Johnsons lack of social distancing in the commons and you immediately came back in with a comment about why no ones bothered about the protesters ignoring social distancing.

Thats literally whataboutery, whether you consider it to be or not.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 04 Jun 2020, 2:38 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

Doing the rounds on twitter. Johnson has told him to come into work this afternoon and then drive 260 miles with his family to Durham tonight.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 04 Jun 2020, 2:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:...all  I can hear is Groucho Marx saying, "Gentlemen, those are my priciples...and if you don't like them...I can get others!"

Gentlemen, those are my principles...and if you don't like them...I can get others!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Jun 2020, 4:24 pm

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 04 Jun 2020, 5:05 pm

Shapps doing today's press briefing with some transport guy. No doctor or scientist. Telling.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 04 Jun 2020, 5:42 pm

Meanwhile, Shapps says that Sharma is still awaiting his test result.

Not a great advert for Dido and her test and trace team.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Fri 05 Jun 2020, 1:06 am

guildfordbat wrote:Meanwhile, Shapps says that Sharma is still awaiting his test result.

Negative. Would Boris have had to go into quarantine again if it was positive?

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 05 Jun 2020, 6:45 am

My brother has been working as part of the trace team, he lives in London currently.

So far, he's been working for two weeks, has made five (FIVE!) phone calls and has been paid almost £650 after tax. Honestly, this government couldn't organise a p!ss up in a brewery.

World-beating indeed.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 05 Jun 2020, 8:19 am

Jetty wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Meanwhile, Shapps says that Sharma is still awaiting his test result.

Negative.  Would Boris have had to go into quarantine again if it was positive?

In theory, yes. Hancock made it clear that even if you had it you had to self isolate again. I suspect they would have got round it somehow though.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 05 Jun 2020, 11:38 am

I worked with her many moons ago at Woolworths. She was your typical McKinsey alumni - well spoken, always seemed very bright but never actually contributed anything meaningful to activities.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 05 Jun 2020, 1:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

I worked with her many moons ago at Woolworths. She was your typical McKinsey alumni - well spoken, always seemed very bright but never actually contributed anything meaningful to activities.

White Flag was quite good though.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 05 Jun 2020, 3:44 pm

Not all UK corona deaths within the last 24 hours have yet been compiled but the total is already above 100.

Consequently there are now more than 40,000 deaths in the UK related to coronavirus.

Shameful.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Fri 05 Jun 2020, 4:10 pm

@Tiger, I'm not too sure about the bright bit for Dido Harding - before her current role on the track and testing her main contribution during Covid-19 was to allow the Cheltenham Festival to go ahead. But it seems this was somehow overlooked when looking at her suitability for the job...

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 05 Jun 2020, 5:12 pm

Hancock doing briefing alone.

Have the Government given up on the medical professionals or have the medical professionals given up on the Government?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri 05 Jun 2020, 5:38 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Not all UK corona deaths within the last 24 hours have yet been compiled but the total is already above 100.

Consequently there are now more than 40,000 deaths in the UK related to coronavirus.

Shameful.

357 for the day so far and the R number is back on the rise. And these brass neck bootlickers in the cabinet have the balls to say they're "doing well" and "are proud" while relaxing the lockdown which will inevitably lead to even more deaths.

Oh, and the test and trace system might not be in place until October. This is beyond an omnishambles.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun 07 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

A bit of positive news. Scotland has only recorded 18 new cases today and zero new deaths, the first day with no deaths since lockdown began.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Mon 08 Jun 2020, 12:49 am

Seeing all the people in the BLM protest, does that mean we can have spectators at cricket again and open pubs?

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 08 Jun 2020, 7:51 am

Jetty wrote:Seeing all the people in the BLM protest, does that mean we can have spectators at cricket again and open pubs?

No.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 08 Jun 2020, 8:59 am

Jetty wrote:Seeing all the people in the BLM protest, does that mean we can have spectators at cricket again and open pubs?

Comparing these protests to a cricket match. Give me strength.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 08 Jun 2020, 10:54 am

Pr4wn wrote:

Comparing these protests to a cricket match. Give me strength.

Pr4wn, I think the question could have been phrased better;
Seeing all the people in the BLM protest, does that mean
they were exercising their judgement and acting reasonably, legally and with integrity?
If so does that mean that there is no reason why we can't have spectators at cricket again and open pubs?

I'm not being facetious. I honestly think that the lockdown is, to all intents and purposes, over.
I was slightly dubious when one of the SAGE Behavioural Psychologists said that Cummings' blatant disregard of Lockdown and The Most Incompetent PM Ever's collusion after the event had severely damaged the public's willingness to abide by the guidelines, but now I am pretty much convinced that the good ship Lockdown is irreparably  holed beneath the water line and sinking slowly.

Shops will all be open in just over a week. Pubs and cafes will follow suit within days.

The reasons for this will be (a) to boost the economy and (b) the government have made such a mess of handling the health side of this that the only way they can claw back some credit and keep their jobs is by "giving the people what they want". Liberty. Wages. Cricket. Pubs. Et al.

Watching the BLM protests on the news, I couldn't help but reflect on Kate Atkinson's novel Life After Life. Part of it takes place just after the First World War and the Influenza Pandemic kills some of the main characters. She has researched the events well and the description of masses of people from the Home Counties travelling up to London for the day to take part in the Armistice Celebrations, joining thronging crowds in central London, and then returning infected to their towns and villages to infect, and kill, their families is heartbreaking. Regardless of how we feel about the underlying issues around the BLM protests one unintended result of their actions will be a spike in infections nationwide and possibly a spike in deaths.

A second unintended consequence is that people watching them on TV will feel the lockdown rules no longer apply. This will also lead to a spike in infections.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 08 Jun 2020, 2:50 pm

jimbopip wrote:...Watching the BLM protests on the news, I couldn't help but reflect on Kate Atkinson's novel Life After Life. Part of it takes place just after the First World War and the Influenza Pandemic kills some of the main characters. She has researched the events well and the description of masses of people from the Home Counties travelling up to London for the day to take part in the Armistice Celebrations, joining thronging crowds in central London, and then returning infected to their towns and villages to infect, and kill, their families is heartbreaking. Regardless of how we feel about the underlying issues around the BLM protests one unintended result of their actions will be a spike in infections nationwide and possibly a spike in deaths.

A second unintended consequence is that people watching them on TV will feel the lockdown rules no longer apply. This will also lead to a spike in infections.
One of the tragedies of this, if you're correct, is that many infected as a result of BLM protests are going to be in a group where evidence suggests that their mortality may well be higher than the average.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Mon 08 Jun 2020, 6:26 pm

To me, it feels like we're in a bit of an odd phase at moment with the virus in UK - some v good news on total number of deaths, including no deaths in Scotland and Northern Ireland over a 24 hour period, but I feel we're only heading into a bit of a lull before the second wave hits. The packed beaches, the VE day parties, the 'Cummings' effect and now the demonstrations (as important as the cause undoubtedly is) all collectively lead to a feeling that the lockdown to all intents and purposes is over for many.

A concern I have is that this second wave may coincide with the schools back up and running by end of the month. I also wonder psychologically how compliant the British public will be when it comes to a lockdown in 2nd phase.

I do feel the communications have been handled very poorly by UK government and we should have adopted a traffic-light system like the French, of splitting the country into zones based on current rates of infection, and applying this to different sectors - e.g. education, retail, leisure, etc, with the ability to impose lockdown and other restrictions (e.g. wearing masks) in line with regional circumstances.

As it is, the whole thing feels a mess and it feels like no-one is properly in control.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 08 Jun 2020, 6:51 pm

It certainly doesn't feel like there's a lockdown in place, with everything that's gone on - Cummings, people fighting lockdown on the beaches, the protests, the return of sport.

Pubs and restaurants are rumoured to be opening in two weeks time as well.

If there is a second wave and a sharp spike in cases, which feels inevitable, I wonder how the government will handle it (apart from badly). Will the public accept a further lockdown?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 08 Jun 2020, 7:24 pm

Think it depends when the second lockdown is. If they have to lockdown again this summer (whilst the rest of Europe carries on opening up) I can see a serious backlash against the government.

If we have to lockdown again going into the Xmas period, then I can see public being more hospitable - but being locked down over winter with early nights would be horrific.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 08 Jun 2020, 7:34 pm

Saw something saying that we have the lowest net approval of our government's CV19 response in the world, or at least countries where they have such data, just beating Mexico.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 09 Jun 2020, 8:19 am

lostinwales wrote:Saw something saying that we have the lowest net approval of our government's CV19 response in the world, or at least countries where they have such data, just beating Mexico.
Probably as least as much to do w/ the general tenor of political discussion in this country these days. Too many simply think there's a conspiracy to hide facts from the public or the Government of the day (whatever its flavour) is simply scheisse. Too many think they're experts on everything under the sun. Not saying UKG is great, but political discourse in the UK is utter cr@p.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next