The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello! + News about GBP and Sky Sports

+7
Jukebox Timebomb
Michaels, Sean
HumanWindmill
WelshDevilRob
Day V Lately
coxy0001
School Project
11 posters

Go down

Hello! + News about GBP and Sky Sports Empty Hello! + News about GBP and Sky Sports

Post by School Project Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:48 am

Hi there everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself first... I'm a long time visitor of the old 606 Forums on BBC but never registered... But heck did they keep me entertained on a long day in the office! Been visiting this site for a while and decided to post on here Smile

Anyways... I was reading a few tid-bits on The Ring and noticed this article:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/167679-gbp-and-sky-sports-bump-heads-over-networks-treatment-of-khan

Long story short: Because Sky didn't offer Box Office to Khan, Richard Schaefer has threated to pull all GPB from the network (hot diggity!). This has me thinking, with the current state of boxing in UK anyway (not having HALF of the fights shown in America such as Alverez vs. Rhodes) - would we be better off with a HBO Channel or at least a dedicated Boxing channel?

It seems us UK boxing fans truely get the raw deal Sad I honestly wouldn't know how to react if GBP pulled their fights from UK TV. But seeing as they wouldn't benefit from doing so do you think it would be a possibility in them forcing ALL of their fights onto a PPV channel (such as Primetime?).

Anywhoo, I thought I'd say "hi" to you chaps and leave you with a boring post!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Hello! + News about GBP and Sky Sports Empty Re: Hello! + News about GBP and Sky Sports

Post by coxy0001 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:16 am

I reckon Khan's been nailing Adam Smith's mrs or something

Should be applauding TV companies for being more selective about what they put on PPV, everyone bitches and moans about having to fork out £15 for rudey poo fights.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Hello! + News about GBP and Sky Sports Empty Re: Hello! + News about GBP and Sky Sports

Post by School Project Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:07 pm

Good point (about the selectiveness of PPV) - I just didn't think that Amir Khan would have had such an impact in GBP, especially enough to influence ALL boxing on Sky.

It's this kind of behavior from promoters that gives boxing fans a hard time... yes theres a business to run but surely Schaefer and Khan would benefit by not playing hardball against the largest distributor of TV in the UK?

As for Khan having happy time with Adams missus, my money would have been on Haye to have been a prime suspect of such tomfoolery!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Khan and sky are both beyond greedy, as usual it will be the fans who suffer.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

As for Smiths missus, he would have known the culprit if he'd left behind a telltale disgusting tie.

damn you groves!!!

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:48 pm

I think GBP are just sounding off and showing support for one of their fighters but at the end of the day, they will stay with the money that Sky brings.

Primetime TV are doing a HBO interms of charging for boxing and maybe they will develop into a main player. I hope not as I don't want to pay more on top.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

School Project wrote:Hi there everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself first... I'm a long time visitor of the old 606 Forums on BBC but never registered... But heck did they keep me entertained on a long day in the office! Been visiting this site for a while and decided to post on here Smile

Welcome aboard, School Project.

Glad to see that you've taken the plunge.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

Given Amir's latest Twitter rant ("F#*k all the haters"...Up2 now Iv blocked over 1000 people. I wish 1 day I meet a person Iv blockd bcuz I would spark him out + they would noy") it comes as no great surprise, that Sky are putting as much distance between him and them.

Like Ryan Giggs' spectacular fall from grace, it won't be long for before Amir finally snaps (no doubt having been provoked beyond the realms of all human endurance) and commits sporting/financial suicide.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm

Giggs has gone up in my estimation. He's an absolute swordsman.....
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

GBP believe that Khan has Hatton esque levels of support over here. They are wrong.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:11 pm

Think they need to get a sample of Giggs' blood and test it for PED's. Three women on the go at once AND a full season for Man Utd?

I need a lie down just thinking about it.

Sean, it doesn't surprise me (or anyone else on the boards) that you would admire Giggs. Gives you a chance to live vicariously through him I suppose

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:GBP believe that Khan has Hatton esque levels of support over here. They are wrong.

About sums it up for me, Sky are a business and are not exactly new to this game, if they thought Khan could do decent numbers on PPV he would still be on it. From everything I have read he has never done decent numbers and so he is marketed and paid accordingly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

rowley wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:GBP believe that Khan has Hatton esque levels of support over here. They are wrong.

About sums it up for me, Sky are a business and are not exactly new to this game, if they thought Khan could do decent numbers on PPV he would still be on it. From everything I have read he has never done decent numbers and so he is marketed and paid accordingly.

Dear me Rowley, what kind of Dystopian Nightmare are you envisaging where people are paid what they're worth?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:23 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Given Amir's latest Twitter rant ("F#*k all the haters"...Up2 now Iv blocked over 1000 people. I wish 1 day I meet a person Iv blockd bcuz I would spark him out + they would noy") it comes as no great surprise, that Sky are putting as much distance between him and them.

Like Ryan Giggs' spectacular fall from grace, it won't be long for before Amir finally snaps (no doubt having been provoked beyond the realms of all human endurance) and commits sporting/financial suicide.

It seems he has been getting spelling lessons from his great wench of a friend Katie Price. Getting his speech impediment across in a Tweet is some going.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:45 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Given Amir's latest Twitter rant ("F#*k all the haters"...Up2 now Iv blocked over 1000 people. I wish 1 day I meet a person Iv blockd bcuz I would spark him out + they would noy") it comes as no great surprise, that Sky are putting as much distance between him and them.

This hit the nail on the head... for some reason Khan is hurting his own pocket by actions like this...

He seems to have forgotten who has handsomely paid PPV for him fight in the past against the likes of Dmitri Salita, the shell of MAB, Mcklosky (Primetime of course) and of course £15 of non-stop action between him and Prescott. Yet the MOMENT Sky say no to the Mcklosky fight he runs to Uncle Richard saying Sky arn't supporting him.

When the likes of Warren and Sky have offered him gold for bunk fights I can't help that they have created the greedy little monster he's become and his stock will suffer, despite us as fight fans having the raw deal.

It's funny thinking about it... the likes of Eubank, Benn, Calzaghe and Froch have been happy to plod along terrestrial to raise their value and fan base and go on to win world titles in such a way they have helped British boxing. Khan comes along and is offered too much too young and doesn't seem interested in meeting in the middle.

I would have paid £15 PPV for Khan vs. Judah as GBP would have put a decent looking card on (well, better than the Mcklosky card anyway) but this recent ploy of "I'm gonna take my ball home" seems like a decent enough reason not to support a greedy little twirp hellbent on annoying the people who supported him since his pro debut.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

I can't see goldenboy locking themselves out of the Sky market. They must realise that people like Haye (who they have a partnership with) have the possibility of doing 500,000 in PPV buys, when they look at the US market and the fact that they only have 2 fighters in Manny and mayweather that can guarentee 1million + buys in the hugh US market, they have to realise the power of the sky machine.

It was posted on here that Khan did 60000 buys on primetime, not sure the validity of the claim, but the sky news and general advertising machine will stir up a far bigger market that could ever be got through primetime. Froch's career should stand as a stark warning.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

I hope Sky do bin him.

I've never liked him.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

Given Amir's latest Twitter rant ("F#*k all the haters"...Up2 now Iv blocked over 1000 people. I wish 1 day I meet a person Iv blockd bcuz I would spark him out + they would noy") it comes as no great surprise, that Sky are putting as much distance between him and them.
He's a joke, does he think fighting a shot has been is gonna be ppv worthy? haha what a plonker as well saying that, your a pro, deal with it.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down