The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Season 2020/21

+20
BamBam
LeinsterFan4life
eirebilly
asoreleftshoulder
LondonTiger
sensisball
No 7&1/2
stevetynant
lostinwales
westisbest
Pete330v2
Pot Hale
theslosty
Geen sport voor watjes
Maine man
Brendan
Old Man
thebandwagonsociety
mikey_dragon
profitius
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ireland Season 2020/21 Empty Ireland Season 2020/21

Post by profitius Sat 22 Aug 2020, 6:59 am

What do you want to see this season? What players do you want to see make the squad? Don't say Ian Madigan!. Very Happy
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Ireland Season 2020/21 Empty Re: Ireland Season 2020/21

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Aug 2020, 8:34 am

Would like to Ireland play less boring rugby, it would make their fixtures with Wales a bit less painful to watch. Maybe adopt the Leinster ethos?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 22 Aug 2020, 9:56 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Would like to Ireland play less boring rugby, it would make their fixtures with Wales a bit less painful to watch. Maybe adopt the Leinster ethos?

Agreed. I think they were still a bit in Schmidt mode in Farrells first 3 games. The new breakdown changes might force teams to play more attractive rugby.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Aug 2020, 10:40 am

profitius wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Would like to Ireland play less boring rugby, it would make their fixtures with Wales a bit less painful to watch. Maybe adopt the Leinster ethos?

Agreed. I think they were still a bit in Schmidt mode in Farrells first 3 games. The new breakdown changes might force teams to play more attractive rugby.

Exactly what I was thinking, they looked very Schmidtball under Farrell. Leinster should make up the majority, if not the entire Ireland 23, but then you risk burning guys out I guess.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 29 Aug 2020, 7:19 am

Stockdale playing fullback is interesting. Could be there for ireland if he performs well. Its his original position and might suit him best.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 31 Aug 2020, 7:11 am

So Stockdale fullback. Earls and Conway on the wings. Farrell leading the centres with McCloskey beside him. JJ off the bench. Cooney to start. CJ at 8 with POM and Tadhg Beirne. Herring at 2 with Munster props either side. Can't figure out the second rows (desperation move if they choose Toner)..... that's going by the medjia, commentators and pundits all shouting for their favourite horse these last two weekends.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 31 Aug 2020, 7:44 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:So Stockdale fullback. Earls and Conway on the wings. Farrell leading the centres with McCloskey beside him. JJ off the bench. Cooney to start. CJ at 8 with POM and Tadhg Beirne. Herring at 2 with Munster props either side. Can't figure out the second rows (desperation move if they choose Toner)..... that's going by the medjia, commentators and pundits all shouting for their favourite horse these last two weekends.

Are Leinster not being talked about enough?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Mon 31 Aug 2020, 8:09 am

profitius wrote:

Attractive rugby is also risky rugby, which given match situations aren’t always on, however the breakdown will force teams to play faster ball at the ruck. Hence quicker decision making.

WR does need to do something about the pedantic preparations for box kicks though, it takes too long, becomes predictable and the toe dip by the half backs to funnel the ball back, then the organisation by the halfback to create enough protection for the box kick is highly frustrating.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 01 Sep 2020, 5:56 am

Old Man wrote:
profitius wrote:

Attractive rugby is also risky rugby, which given match situations aren’t always on, however the breakdown will force teams to play faster ball at the ruck. Hence quicker decision making.

WR does need to do something about the pedantic preparations for box kicks though, it takes too long, becomes predictable and the toe dip by the half backs to funnel the ball back, then the organisation by the halfback to create enough protection for the box kick is highly frustrating.

Give the 9 less time to organize it. Its painful to watch and slows the game right down.
profitius
profitius

profitius likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 01 Sep 2020, 6:10 am

Rough depth chart

1. Healy, Kilcoyne, J McGrath?
2. Kelleher, Heffernan, Herring,
3. Furlong, Porter, O'Toole,

4&5. Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Toner(?), Baird

6&7. POM, VDF, Connors, Leavy, JOD,
8. Stander, Doris, Conan

9. Murray, Cooney, L McGrath, Marmion
10. Sexton, Carbery(?), Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne, Carty, Burns

12&13. Ringrose, Henshaw, Aki, Farrell

11&14. Earls, Conway, Lowe,

15. Larmour, Stockdale

Anyone obvious left out? There must be one or two. I think we'll see a few of those dropped and a few new names in the wider squad.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 02 Sep 2020, 8:36 am

profitius wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:So Stockdale fullback. Earls and Conway on the wings. Farrell leading the centres with McCloskey beside him. JJ off the bench. Cooney to start. CJ at 8 with POM and Tadhg Beirne. Herring at 2 with Munster props either side. Can't figure out the second rows (desperation move if they choose Toner)..... that's going by the medjia, commentators and pundits all shouting for their favourite horse these last two weekends.

Are Leinster not being talked about enough?

I think the jargon goes that the journo talks about individuals from Munster/Ulster being great and the Leinster machine being interchangeable. Leinster individuals don't necessarily get critiqued.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 13 Sep 2020, 11:44 am

Ireland form U24

1 ?
2. Kelleher
3 Porter
4 Baird
5 Ryan
6 Deegan
7 Connors
8 Doris

9 Casey
10 Harry Byrne
11 Stockdale
12 Frawley
13 Hume
14 Larmour
15 Daly
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 15 Sep 2020, 8:56 am

If Leinster go to the Final of the HC then some lads will sit out the first game.
I hope they mix and match for the games and try out a few combinations.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 16 Sep 2020, 7:12 am

Brendan wrote:If Leinster go to the Final of the HC then some lads will sit out the first game.
I hope they mix and match for the games and try out a few combinations.

I'd say a big squad will be named. James Hume could be a contender.

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 23 Sep 2020, 3:17 am

Saracens' defeat of leinster was down to some clever coaching but it should help Andy Farrell. We cannot have Larmour playing fullback in the short term until he manages the position better. He just might not be suited to it.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 03 Oct 2020, 7:09 pm

Larmour dropped from fullback for Leinster with Hugo Keenan moving there and Keenans display will have eased Andy Farrells worries. Himself and (the currently injured) Daly deserve a call up. I dont think Addison will ever be right.

Baird looks more and more like he will get plenty of action too.
I think Hume has a good chance and Stuart Moore is definitely one for the future.

Gibson-Park is another who is in with a shout along with Lowe. I'm not in favour of those but its what I think might happen. Cooney and Marmion look back in form. Luke McGrath should get the chop imo.

Connors looks likely to be called up. POM might be dropped. Wouldn't surprise me to see Conan excluded. Doris looks like a starter. So first choice backrow could be Stander, connors, Doris.

Ross Byrne will probably be Sextons backup. I dont think he is the long term solution though.

There's a lot of rugby to be played yet so there could be a few young players to put their hand up. Who knows. Farrell might want a slow evolution or he might want to build his own squad. Hes had plenty of time to think about it.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 05 Oct 2020, 6:15 am

Profitius, while I like almost all of the freshen ups that you're suggesting, unfortunately I worry Farrell reverts to the same tired old names as before. There's part of me that would really like this covid/broken season to be used to take that batch of U24 (with say Ed Byrne for LH position) and give them a season of Tests. Mix things up a bit.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 05 Oct 2020, 9:44 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Profitius, while I like almost all of the freshen ups that you're suggesting, unfortunately I worry Farrell reverts to the same tired old names as before.  There's part of me that would really like this covid/broken season to be used to take that batch of U24 (with say Ed Byrne for LH position) and give them a season of Tests. Mix things up a bit.

Yeah I would be surprised if there's too many changes.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 05 Oct 2020, 10:28 am

profitius wrote:Rough depth chart

1. Healy, Kilcoyne, J McGrath, O'Sullivan
2. Kelleher, Herring, Cronin, Scannell, Heffernan,
3. Furlong, Porter, O'Toole, Ryan

4&5. Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Toner, Baird, Kleyn, Roux, Dillane

8. Stander, Doris, Conan

9. Murray, Cooney, L McGrath, Marmion, Gibson Park
10. Sexton, Ross Byrne, Carty, Burns, Hanrahan.

12&13. Ringrose, Henshaw, Aki, Farrell, McCloskey

15. Larmour, Stockdale, Keenan/Daly

Anyone obvious left out? There must be one or two. I think we'll see a few of those dropped and a few new names in the wider squad.

I'd add in those few for consideration.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 06 Oct 2020, 5:35 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

8. Stander, Doris, Conan

I've a feeling Toner might be dropped. I think Farrell will be looking for more dynamic players so Toner, J McGrath, Scannell, Kleyn will not make the squad imo. Don't think POM will be first choice anymore but will be kept in the wider squad.

Also I dont think JOD, Hanrahan, L McGrath, Cronin will either. I think only one of Carty or Burns will make it and I'd guess Carty.

He'll probably include a few young players to have a look at them but maybe not to play.

I'd like to see about 5 uncapped players (including Doris who got a few minutes) but not sure its going to happen.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 08 Oct 2020, 7:08 am

profitius wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

8. Stander, Doris, Conan

I've a feeling Toner might be dropped. I think Farrell will be looking for more dynamic players so Toner, J McGrath, Scannell, Kleyn will not make the squad imo. Don't think POM will be first choice anymore but will be kept in the wider squad.

Also I dont think JOD, Hanrahan, L McGrath, Cronin will either. I think only one of Carty or Burns will make it and I'd guess Carty.

He'll probably include a few young players to have a look at them but maybe not to play.

I'd like to see about 5 uncapped players (including Doris who got a few minutes) but not sure its going to happen.

And here's who he picked. Interesting that despite Earls being injured, he still didn't pick Lowe for a wing spot. Daly and Keenan get rewarded for their form in the back three slots. Gibson Park instead of McGrath is not a surprise, and Marmion gets rewarded for getting stuck back in. You were right about Carty.

The provincial mix in the backs is interesting - 7 Leinster, 4 Munster, 3 Connacht, 2 Ulster. Forwards are 10 Leinster, 4 Munster, 3 Connacht, 2 Ulster. Andy Friend must be happy.

Backs (16)

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 26 caps
Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 6 caps
Jack Carty (Connacht/Buccaneers) 10 caps
Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 21 caps
Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Con) uncapped
Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 9 caps
Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) uncapped
Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 43 caps
Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 24 caps
Kieran Marmion (Connacht/Corinthians) 27 caps
Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 3 caps
Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 81 caps
Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 29 caps
Jonathan Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 91 caps CAPTAIN
Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 28 caps

Forwards (19)

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) uncapped
Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Corinthians) 9 caps
Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 13 caps
Ed Byrne (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
Will Connors (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 17 caps
Caelan Doris (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 98 caps
Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) 1 cap
Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 55 caps
Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 11 caps
Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 3 caps
Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 67 caps
Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps
Quinn Roux (Connacht/Galwegians) 12 caps
James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps
John Ryan (Munster/Cork Constitution) 21 caps
CJ Stander (Munster/Shannon) 41 caps
Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 08 Oct 2020, 7:36 am

Surely Cooney at least makes this list.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2020, 8:46 am

Can Cooney feel hard done by here, or was Farrell really desperate to tie in Gibson-Park? In which case, why is he not also getting James Lowe? Outstanding player. A little surprised at the selection of Healy and POM...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 08 Oct 2020, 9:08 am

I wouldn't blame Cooney for feeling hard done by but he's 30 now, was let go by Leinster and was Connacht's second or third choice behind Marmion when Lam was there. Not sure what the problem is with him but there does seem to be some issue with coaches.

Lowe is included in the training squad along with Casey, Harry Byrne, Fineen Wycherley, young 29 year old Tracey and Lowe. Lowe isn't qualified yet.

10 players with 3 caps or less in the squad but will they be played.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2020, 9:55 am

Ah right, I thought Lowe was IQ by now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Thu 08 Oct 2020, 12:08 pm

I'm not surprised that he's not included. Personally he should have been first choice last season but Murray can do no wrong even though he was pretty dire at times last year. I honestly wouldn't blame Cooney sticking 2 fingers up to Farrell and deciding once his contract ends in Ulster moves abroad.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2020, 1:32 pm

Farrell hasn’t struck me as the best head coach so far, since his first game in charge... He was a good defence coach though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 08 Oct 2020, 1:45 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Can Cooney feel hard done by here, or was Farrell really desperate to tie in Gibson-Park? In which case, why is he not also getting James Lowe? Outstanding player. A little surprised at the selection of Healy and POM...

Gibson-Park qualified last year so no rush there. He's improved of late as McGrath has disimproved, so time to give him a shot.

I forgot Lowe is not qualified until second week of November.

Healy and POM are long-time established internationals - why would you be surprised?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2020, 2:18 pm

I don’t think Healy’s form is that great, but is there anyone better? What happened to Kilcoyne? POM I just don’t rate at all. Good enough for Munster but not ireland.

I would have included Gibson-Park too. If a 9 had to miss out then for me it would have to be Murray.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 08 Oct 2020, 6:10 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I don’t think Healy’s form is that great, but is there anyone better? What happened to Kilcoyne? POM I just don’t rate at all. Good enough for Munster but not ireland.

I would have included Gibson-Park too. If a 9 had to miss out then for me it would have to be Murray.

You don't rate O'Mahony at all? Funny how Gatland did and made him captain of Lions for first test. Or he's received numerous man of the match awards in test matches. Or makes the winning steal at line outs in crucial test matches. I presume you don't think you know better than international coaches, Mikey?

Kilcoyne is injured, hence why the other loose heads are in there with Porter also covering.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 08 Oct 2020, 6:55 pm

Yeah remind us how that went and how he got dropped? And how the real captain resumed after fully recovering from injury? Or how about the pro12 final against Scarlets? Or the 6N decider versus Wales in Cardiff? Hell of a stormer or two there mind. Funny how some Irish get overprotective when someone relays the truth about O’Mahony. Hmm are coaches always 100% right? I don’t think so, just ask Schmidt and Farrell.

Thanks for that. Wasn’t a difficult concept to have a rugby chat rather than obsessing over POM was it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 10 Oct 2020, 7:10 am

POMs best games have been in the biggest matches. I think the higher paced games is where you see the best of him. He's good on the ground and world class in the lineout. He also has good hands and is very good defensively.

None of POMs strong points would make a highlights reel. He isn't a great ball carrier and not a big hitter in defense.

I think fresh legs will help the team so would prefer to see Connors, Doris and Stander back row but POM isn't exactly a weakness.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 10 Oct 2020, 6:31 pm

POM is crud. Mikey is right. He was completely anonymous against Edinburgh.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 10 Oct 2020, 6:32 pm

And Murray also.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 11 Oct 2020, 7:53 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:POM is crud. Mikey is right. He was completely anonymous against Edinburgh.

I think Mikey is of the view that he’s been anonymous his whole career.

But hey he’s from Munster....
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 12 Oct 2020, 6:34 am

Cooney took a bit of a dip since coming back from the lock down and isn't what he was.

Murray is a difficult one but probably still Ireland number 1.  None of the others have taken it off him.  McGrath does well against the weak teams but when Leinster need him he can go missing or try things that never come off.  He isn't a leader and seems to reflect how the team goes.  Marmion is a proven international and has a much weaker team in Connacht but gets the most out of them and is one of the leaders in that team.

POM is on the way out yet when he gets dropped we miss his lineout ability and has a stromer when he comes back in.  Maybe Doris is the guy to replace him but POM not in the Ireland team leaves gaps that the other choices can't fill.  He does need to improve as everyone does but he is very much one of about 5/6 players looking for that last backrow spots.  Stander and Levey if both fit start.  Then it is horses for courses.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Mon 12 Oct 2020, 10:40 am

Tadhg Beirne is still a player I have huge hopes for for Ireland but his international career hasn't really taken off yet. If POM does get dropped at 6 Beirne can fill in there with Ryan, Henderson and hopefully Baird soon Test level options in the second row.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 12 Oct 2020, 4:54 pm

So Henderson is likely going to be suspended and Baird has picked up an injury too. So its looking like Ryan, Roux and Beirne on the bench.

Bealham and Heffernan went off injured for Connacht. Kelleher picked up an injury for leinster as did Larmour who is going to be out for a few months.

Some of those injuries are minor but they still are a problem. Farrell might have to call up players already.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 13 Oct 2020, 5:13 am

profitius wrote:So Henderson is likely going to be suspended and Baird has picked up an injury too. So its looking like Ryan, Roux and Beirne on the bench.

Bealham and Heffernan went off injured for Connacht. Kelleher picked up an injury for leinster as did Larmour who is going to be out for a few months.

Some of those injuries are minor but they still are a problem. Farrell might have to call up players already.

Agreed. Not the best news for Farrell who's seen his full deck reduce week by week as the tests get nearer.

Props: Furlong is still absent along with O'Toole and Kilcoyne, Bealham and Heffernan (HIA), and Porter has an upcoming hamstring injury assessment
Hookers: Kelleher has quad strain injury and Scannell is recovering from recent surgery.
Locks: Baird injured; Kleyn injured, Henderson suspended
Backrowers: Leavy is still out and just announced that Max Deegan has had an ACL injury and will be out for 6-9 months.
Halves: Sexton is nursing hamstring injury
Midfield: All okay so far.
Back-Three: Larmour, Earls, D Kearney, Addison out with injuries.

The joys of an international coach.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 13 Oct 2020, 9:54 am

Pot Hale wrote:
profitius wrote:So Henderson is likely going to be suspended and Baird has picked up an injury too. So its looking like Ryan, Roux and Beirne on the bench.

Agreed.   Not the best news for Farrell who's seen his full deck reduce week by week as the tests get nearer.

Props: Furlong is still absent along with O'Toole and Kilcoyne, Bealham and Heffernan (HIA), and Porter has an upcoming hamstring injury assessment
Hookers: Kelleher has quad strain injury and Scannell is recovering from recent surgery.
Backrowers: Leavy is still out and just announced that Max Deegan has had an ACL injury and will be out for 6-9 months.

I can't remember that amount of injuries before, pot. A new record perhaps. At least he can have a look at some of the wider squad but its not ideal.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 13 Oct 2020, 4:16 pm

profitius wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

Agreed.   Not the best news for Farrell who's seen his full deck reduce week by week as the tests get nearer.

I can't remember that amount of injuries before, pot. A new record perhaps. At least he can have a look at some of the wider squad but its not ideal.

Well there was the Great Prop Famine back in 2011, but for injury sweep across the board, the above takes some beating. It might improve by the time 6N rolls around, but Farrell may be constrained by the Rugby Bubble requirements that will prevent any late call-up entering the picture. Think he has to decide in next 24-48 hours.

Props - Choose from err.. O'Sullivan? John Ryan? Ed Byrne?
Hookers - James Tracy, Rhys Marshall, Kevin O'Byrne?
Locks - Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Fineen Wycherley?
Backrowers - should be ok. vdF, Conan, POM, Stander, Connors, O'Donoghue, Ruddock is ample.
Halves - if Sexton is out, then Ross Byrne the obvious replacement with Carty on the bench, and possibly Burns or young Byrne brought in.
Midfield - ok
Back 3 - Hugo Keenan for tryout at 15, and Shane Daly in with a shout. Stockdale and Conway for the wing spots. Don't think Wooton or Cian Kelleher are in with a look. What happened to Robert Balacounne - injured? Or his team-mate, the other Ulster flyer?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Thu 15 Oct 2020, 6:22 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Geen sport voor watjes wrote:POM is crud. Mikey is right. He was completely anonymous against Edinburgh.

I think Mikey is of the view that he’s been anonymous his whole career.  

But hey he’s from Munster....

He wasn’t playing 😎

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Thu 15 Oct 2020, 6:24 pm

Justice for Zebo ( D Ryan is probably a better pick than quite a few players but ho hum and all that).

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 16 Oct 2020, 2:50 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

Well there was the Great Prop Famine back in 2011, but for injury sweep across the board, the above takes some beating.  It might improve by the time 6N rolls around, but Farrell may be constrained by the Rugby Bubble requirements that will prevent any late call-up entering the picture.  Think he has to decide in next 24-48 hours.  

Props - Choose from err..  O'Sullivan?  John Ryan?  Ed Byrne?
Hookers - James Tracy, Rhys Marshall, Kevin O'Byrne?
Locks - Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Fineen Wycherley?
Backrowers - should be ok.  vdF, Conan, POM, Stander, Connors, O'Donoghue, Ruddock is ample.
Halves - if Sexton is out, then Ross Byrne the obvious replacement with Carty on the bench, and possibly Burns or young Byrne brought in.
Midfield - ok
Back 3 - Hugo Keenan for tryout at 15, and Shane Daly in with a shout. Stockdale and Conway for the wing spots.   Don't think Wooton or Cian Kelleher are in with a look.    What happened to Robert Balacounne - injured? Or his team-mate, the other Ulster flyer?

Balacoune is injured. Gilroy? He's been out of the loop for years.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 16 Oct 2020, 3:00 pm

Its going to be tough for Farrell. Its bad timing in a way because the Schmidt team peaked in 2018 and since then many of the top players have gone off the boil a bit. If there's no sign of progression then the pressure will come on regardless.

We need to see the end of Schmidtball. The new breakdown laws make it harder for teams to play like that anyway so that should be further encouragement for Farrell to change up the style. We'll still see kicking but not as much possession rugby. Take the shackles off and let them play a bit.

Shane Daly and Keenan could be surprise packages. Both coming in under the radar and at least one of them should see a bit of time in the pitch.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 17 Oct 2020, 4:50 pm

Time to bring Zebo home?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Oct 2020, 4:57 pm

Unlikely given he's come out again recently (think it was podcast I was listening to) and said stopping intentional rugby saved his career because he wasn't enjoying it. Big loss to Ireland but tbh they regularly waste their more talented players - Beirne, Cooney, Zebo, perhaps Carbery if they stick with Sexton - for the sake of their workmanlike style of rugby. Not sure Farrell's the man to change the negative culture Schmidt instilled in that regard but he did speak about needing to move away from being too structured in the press this week so who knows. No way back for Zebo though, if he doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 17 Oct 2020, 6:37 pm

Man you write complete rubbish.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Oct 2020, 7:32 pm

"Complete rubbish"

"I wasn't happy going to international camp. I'd stay in my room all day. It wasn't a good place for me mentally going there towards the end."

Ok 'man'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 18 Oct 2020, 6:59 pm

rugby racing and beer wrote:[youtube]UYob7Baz0a4

"Complete rubbish"

"I wasn't happy going to international camp. I'd stay in my room all day. It wasn't a good place for me mentally going there towards the end."

Ok 'man'.

Zebo’s dissatisfaction with test life under Schmidt is long documented and known.  Interpreting this to assume he doesn’t want to play under Farrell is not proven. And he’d have to be back playing in Ireland before that happens.

As for your comments about the other players - it sounds like you don’t follow or watch Irish rugby much.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next