The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N 2021 thread

+44
whatahitson
No9
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
alive555
eirebilly
king_carlos
Highland Shaun
RiscaGame
R!skysports
Cyril
majesticimperialman
Heaf
doctor_grey
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Pete330v2
nickj
takethelongroad
flyhalffactory
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
EST
Mcsweens
demosthenes
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Geordie
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
lostinwales
funnyExiledScot
bsando
TJ
Tramptastic
Anglobraveheart
NeilyBroon
BigGee
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RDW
48 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 3 Empty Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

As requested by RDW in the Scotland 2020 thread, I have taken on the job of starting the 2021 6N thread as I want to contribute to the forum as much as I can Smile.

First things first, here are the games and starting times for Scotland 6N 2021 matches :

Game 1: A daunting opener against reigning 6N and ANC champions, England (at a bogey round) on Feb 6th, KO: 1645hrs
Game 2: Our first home game of 6N 2021, against a team in transition or a rebuilding process, Wales on Feb 13th, KO: 1645hrs.
Game 3: Another daunting prospect, this time in the Stade De France, against the very entertaining French team, KO: 1500hrs on Feb 28th.
Game 4: Our second home match, this time against our bogey Celtic cousins Ireland on March 14th, KO: 1500hrs.
Game 5: We end our 2021 campaign at home against Italy, usually seen as a Wooden Spoon decider and one Italy always target as a winnable game, even though its been a few years since they have actually beaten us. This game is on March 20th with a KO time of 1415hrs.

I think most fans would be happy with 3 wins from 5 and Tbh, that is easily achievable if we play to our potential. I know that we have a poor record v Ireland but we know that records are breakable, we are at home so should be aiming for a win in that. I, as most Scotland fans no doubt, would LOVE a win at Twickenham to break the only never ending hoodoo left to beat but I think we all know how tough it will be. It may be good to get them first up but tbh, I don't see it make a difference unless England totally underestimate us or get massively hit by Covid etc.

I also think Gregor Townsend has to deliver positive results etc in order to win over the doubters (I am not one by the way, I am probably the only one on this forum that backs his new contract) once and for all, he will have a tough job picking his squad for the 6N, some players are and will, over the next few weeks, be putting up their hands regarding selection (Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones fall into this category) and some will be hoping to retain their places on the back of good ANC performances (van der Walt and Duncy Weir for example).

So now comes the bit where you guys can contribute to the thread, who would you pick as the pool of players (is it 26 names?) for the 6N, have you got any left field choices that nobody would expect to see in it, Finlay Christie (as an example because I know a lot would love to see him in the Scotland blue) perhaps?

Hopefully this thread satisfies RDW Wink.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Mcsweens Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:16 am

Nicked from someone else on twitter but - How good must Redpaths and Grahams kit stash be!

Also quite satisfying that Eddie Jones little selection wind-ups have come to naught - foiled again like the Thunderbirds baddie that he is!

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:24 am

Good squad. It is fantastic to see Redpath, G Graham, H Jones and R Gray in the squad. They should all be in the matchday 23.
I think that there are a few making up numbers, and I am disappointed that Toolis and Bennett have been left out. Hutchison and McInally being injured is also disappointing.
My opinion on Lang, Gilchrist, Harris (yes, I know he is incumbent!) and Mcguigan has not changed, in that they are either uninspiring or not up to international class.  I feel that these guys are making up the numbers.
My centres would be selected from Redpath, Taylor, Jones, Bennett and Hutchison. Appreciate that the last 2 are not in the squad. I would love to see Taylor/Jones as the starters and Redpath to bench.
Similarly, Gray, Cummings, Gray should be the middle row.
I haven't seen him play this season, but G Graham has been getting great reports this season, so a Ritchie/Watson/Graham back row could really be a masterstroke.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:26 am

If anyone could direct me to some recent clips of G Graham, I too would be appreciative!

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:36 am

jimbopip wrote:Team for England
Kebble
Turner
Ragnar
Cummings
Old Gray
Batman Graham
Middle Fagerson
Mullett Hamish
Not a bad looking pack, though you do hope the flankers don't let anyone down.  Whistle

Aldi Price
Dancer
VDM
Spacey
The Hardest Working Man In..
No Maits
Hogg

Stewart, Sutherland, Nel, Ickle Jonny, Mbawza, House Elf, VDW, H Jones, Graham.

I wouldn't have Blarehorn near the squad on current form. Toonie really rates hom though. So that's Harris, McGuigan and Blarehorn that Toonie really, really rates while their form baffles the rest of us.Headscratch  
Very cheeky Jimbo, and I agree entirely about Kinghorn and his shaky recent form.
I do think though that you will struggle to get away with 9 players on the bench.....

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:47 am

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/it-could-be-a-10-year-international-career-scotland-celebrate-capture-of-ex-england-age-grade-player-redpath-townsend/

The Cameron Redpath dilemma

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:34 am

Not much wrong with the squad from Toonie. I'm surprised SH-C misses out and I would rather have Bennett involved than Byron McGuigan, but minor grumbles.

No doubt not what Toonie will go with, but this would be my pick:

1.Sutherland 2.Turner 3.Fagerson 4.R Gray 5.Cummings 6.Ritchie 7.Watson 8.Fagerson 9.Price 10.Russell 11.Duhan 12.Taylor 13.Jones 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Nel 17.Cherry 18.Kebble 19.J Gray 20.Graham 21.Steele 22.Jaco 23.Redpath

Big ask in the first game, but if Toonie allows Russell, Jones, Duhan and Hogg off the leash, and we put a stop to ponderous side ways pick and drives, and poorly contested box kicks, then we know these players can turn heads.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:36 am

jimbopip wrote:
RDW wrote:
bsando wrote:“A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.” - Jean de La Fontaine

Oh jeez you're gonna set Jimbo off with a post like that.

See how I control the feeble-minded misfits on this forum? I don't have to post high flown French intellectual quotes anymore; you do it for me. Nor do I have to think up a "humourous" rejoinder; that's been subcontacted overseas to Flounder.
Ha! My dominance is total. Yahoo

Laugh Apologies, apologies ghost

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:19 am

I'm delighted by the Cameron Redpath news, I really thought that ship had sailed. I wonder what difference the personal relationship Toonie has with his dad has made, he has probably known CR his whole life.

It's a really good squad, a few random selections notwithstanding - really hope Huw Jones gets a reward for his excellent form this season - he is playing much better rugby than Kinghorn just now.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:15 am

I've not been this happy at new caps (Graham and Redpath) since we poached DVDM Very Happy.

Lets hope Vellacot is next :P.

Good to see Cammy make his own mind up too, I wonder if being a genuine starter swayed him: as others have said, he was never likely to be picked in every England squad, let alone a starter.

Now, lets hope he plays the game of his life and ends our Twickenham hoodoo Smile.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:15 am

A lot to like about that squad. Plenty of balance in the forwards and quality in the backs.

1.Sutherland
2.Turner
3.Fagerson
4.Cummings
5.J Gray
6.Ritchie
7.Watson
8.Graham

9.Price
10.Russell

11.Duhan
12.Taylor
13.Harris
14.Kinghorn
15.Hogg

16.Stewart
17.Kebble
18.Nel
19.R Gray
20.Thomson
21.Steele
22.Redpath
23.Jones

Hooker the only obvious issue with McInally and Brown both crocked. Turner is very good in the tackle though to be fair to him.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:30 am

I like turner but I worry about his discipline, even moreso than FB's which is saying something! If he can get through the game without giving away stupid penalties I would argue he is our first choice at the moment even with both other options fit. It's just the penalties he does give are usually significant and that's what is preventing him from becoming a great player imo.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 am

Don't worry. If Farrell plays on current form he'll miss all the kicks....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:57 am

Obviously I have no inside info, but me, a concerned onlooker, still thinks that it is madness to persist with a Duncan Taylor who was concussed again at the weekend.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 am

Squad balance seems a bit off. Why 7 back 3 players but only two 9s? Does McGuigan really add anything to the squad over having SHC in there too?

5 BRs is also a bit light.

(Nope, my mod powers are working fine, boss. Crack on)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:50 am

We’re still a box of mad frogs

We could start one game with Lang and Harris in the centre and Blair on the wing

We could start the next game with Taylor and redpath or Jones in the centre.

I’ll let you judge which option is better.

Surely to goodness Jones will at least be the utility back bench option????
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:43 am

Gregor Townsend lauding Redpath so why don't you peeps expect him to start v England :O?

I would certainly start him, he's been one of the players of the Premiership so far.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:21 am

If Taylor isn't deemed ready/fit then Redpath goes straight in. The other 12 option for me is Harris. At 12 his startling lack of pace, skill and acceleration will less of an issue....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Dan Bigger is singing the praises of Hutchinson at 12:

"Biggar believes that Hutchinson is already one of the best in the country at what he offers going forward and tipped the centre to have a long international career.

“We play with a second playmaker in Rory Hutchinson,” Biggar said.

“He is, in my opinion, one of the very best in his position in the league at being that second playmaker.

“Rory is brilliant in the way he communicates and scans what’s going on and feeds that information in.”

“He takes a lot of pressure off me in terms of what I have to do with my eyes, instead I can focus more on the speed of the ball and what my skill has to be when I receive it.

“My opinion is that Scotland should pick Rory at 12 and stick with him for the upcoming Six Nations; you can’t put him in for a game and take him out again if he makes half a mistake."

https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news/biggar-tips-furbank-and-hutchinson-to-reach-the-top

As the Wales 10 he should know something about a good 12. He also thinks Furbank is the best thing since sliced bread as well, so maybe his opinion is a little tainted. Always preferred a proper uncut loaf myself.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:00 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Dan Bigger is singing the praises of Hutchinson at 12:

"Biggar believes that Hutchinson is already one of the best in the country at what he offers going forward and tipped the centre to have a long international career.

“We play with a second playmaker in Rory Hutchinson,” Biggar said.

“He is, in my opinion, one of the very best in his position in the league at being that second playmaker.

“Rory is brilliant in the way he communicates and scans what’s going on and feeds that information in.”

“He takes a lot of pressure off me in terms of what I have to do with my eyes, instead I can focus more on the speed of the ball and what my skill has to be when I receive it.

“My opinion is that Scotland should pick Rory at 12 and stick with him for the upcoming Six Nations; you can’t put him in for a game and take him out again if he makes half a mistake."

https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news/biggar-tips-furbank-and-hutchinson-to-reach-the-top

As the Wales 10 he should know something about a good 12. He also thinks Furbank is the best thing since sliced bread as well, so maybe his opinion is a little tainted. Always preferred a proper uncut loaf myself.

Fair play Dan Biggar, I totally agree with him. It is pointless to play someone in patches then swap them for someone else. Toonie probably knows he'll come good but has been biding his time for him to raise his performances. Sounds like he has been doing that (I haven't watched him at Saints this season) but has been unfortunate with injury just before the 6N? Hopefully we'll see him back before the end.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Hutchinson makes plenty sense outside a Biggar.

I'm wondering if the issue is when you have a Finn you don't need a Hutch?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Yeah fair enough, probably good outside a Hastings though. The backs for the RWC in 2023 are shaping up nicely!

On Redpath, is he a utility back? Or out and out inside centre?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 pm

bsando wrote:Yeah fair enough, probably good outside a Hastings though. The backs for the RWC in 2023 are shaping up nicely!

On Redpath, is he a utility back? Or out and out inside centre?

No, he can play 10, 12 or 13 and has done for Bath this season. Primarily a 12 though.

Was

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:50 pm

https://youtu.be/-DqcDg4a4dw

Really nice try from him here - skip to 2:45.

Not the best of defences mind!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:53 pm

RDW wrote:Hutchinson makes plenty sense outside a Biggar.

I don't think there's a hutch strong enough to restrain Finn when he's hopping mad.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:55 pm

jimbopip wrote:
RDW wrote:Hutchinson makes plenty sense outside a Biggar.

I don't think there's a hutch strong enough to restrain Finn when he's hopping mad.

picard

Not your best work Jimbo! Tumbleweed

Even the greats have an off day Wink

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:56 pm

Mostly IC but I think he can cover the midfield including 10 in a pinch.

Yeah Toonie seems to have an issue giving some players opportunity whilst giving all the time in the world to others until they come good *cough* Harris. Just look at Shug. It really feels like Toonie is trying his best to avoid including him in any of his gameplan. Hutchinson falls towards that category, and biggar alluded to him being dropped for a mistake. In the same way Toonie finds reasons not to play Jones. It of course doesn't help that hutch has had a fair few injuries but should definitely have played more for us by this point.

I am hopeful he'll pick redpath though given how he talks about him. I think Toonie will see this as a major win for him so will want to show how good he could be for us.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:59 pm

Potential issues with fringe players returning into camp with Covid-19 unwittingly contracted at their Premiership clubs, however, have counted against some English-based players with the Exeter duo of Sam Skinner and Sam Hidalgo-Clyne and Northampton’s Rory Hutchinson all omitted.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jan/20/rugby-union-scotland-six-nations-cameron-redpath-finn-russell

So it looks like that anyone who would be in the larger squad but not the matchday squad from england has been omitted for covid reasons. I can sort of see th epoint but I hope that has been reall well communicated to the players concerned

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:19 pm

TJ wrote:
Potential issues with fringe players returning into camp with Covid-19 unwittingly contracted at their Premiership clubs, however, have counted against some English-based players with the Exeter duo of Sam Skinner and Sam Hidalgo-Clyne and Northampton’s Rory Hutchinson all omitted.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jan/20/rugby-union-scotland-six-nations-cameron-redpath-finn-russell

So it looks like that anyone who would be in the larger squad but not the matchday squad from england has been omitted for covid reasons. I can sort of see th epoint but I hope that has been reall well communicated to the players concerned

I hope we see SHC return. Scott Steele seems like a nice bloke but he's solid at best. We're one training injury from Dobie featuring which is slightly unnerving! Not that I think he's a bad option, I'd be interested to see how he gets on but maybe against Italy rather than at Twickenham!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:49 pm

I'm a huge fan of Hutchinson, such a talented player. I'd still go with Jones at 13, bursting onto those flat passes or deft grubbers that Russell loves to go with, but Hutchinson would be a very handy second choice, with Bennett in third place for me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:35 pm

Problem with Hutch and Redpath is both seem to have made a home at 12 for their club sides. It might mean only one is going to be utilised regularly as the starter with the other coming off the bench.

I suspect Hutch's versatility (theoretically covers 10 - 12 - 13) may work against him.

Not sure I understand this. No English based players who may not make the matchday squad. Does this mean McGuigan and Craig are going to get game time? Neither is particularly on form at the minute. Dell I can understand as we need a third choice LH and there is not one in Scotland (Allan injured as the only capped one I can think of not selected)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:09 am

Stab at a team:

Sutherland
Turner
Fagerson
J Gray
Cummings
Ritchie
Watson
Fagerson

Price
Finn
DHVDM
Taylor
Harris
Maitland
Hogg

Cherry
Kebble
Nel
R Gray
Graham
Steele
Redpath
Jones

I would start Jones instead of Harris and likely have Darcy or Kinghorn on the bench, Finn works best with a strike runner he can hit in midfield - Dunbar/Bennett, Jones & Vakatawa have all been the beneficiaries over the years... but there is zero chance of that happening.

Other than that it's a good team, although we are still missing ball carrying ability in the pack - if England turn it into an arm wrestle I don't see how we can win, if it breaks up on the other hand...

EST

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:23 am

Looks pretty handy, with some good impact from the bench. Jones and redpath as impact is a tasty prospect.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:21 am

Makes me sad seeing some of the attacking talent in the squad at the moment and knowing that we'll be playing a blunt defensive gameplan.

Can Scotland's attack improve this 6N? It's a shame we haven't seen someone at the SRU step in and force Toonie to hire a dedicated attack coach. I think Toonie would be a great out and out attack coach, but doing that alongside being a head coach seems a bit daft to me. Are there any other 6N sides who's head coach is also the attack coach?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:11 am

bsando wrote:Makes me sad seeing some of the attacking talent in the squad at the moment and knowing that we'll be playing a blunt defensive gameplan.

Can Scotland's attack improve this 6N? It's a shame we haven't seen someone at the SRU step in and force Toonie to hire a dedicated attack coach. I think Toonie would be a great out and out attack coach, but doing that alongside being a head coach seems a bit daft to me. Are there any other 6N sides who's head coach is also the attack coach?

I am not so sure we will be playing a dull defensive game plan with Finn back in at 10, things will change, the autumn internationals were played without a playmaker really.

Having said that, we are hopefully not going back to mad chuck it about rugby either, however good it looked, we lost a lot more often than we won playing that way. It just does not work like that in international rugby, particularly in the 6N.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:01 am

True, I had forgotten Russell and Hastings were out for all of it and that VDW started against Ireland.

It looked very promising after Scotland battled their way to beat France. That level of defence and attacking pragmatism would be fantastic.

Against Ireland in the Autumn it was too loose, although there was some nice attacking moments. I can see a lot of fans losing patience quickly if we have more 31 - 16 losses this 6N.

Strong win over France
15-Stuart Hogg (capt); 14-Sean Maitland, 13-Chris Harris, 12-Sam Johnson 11-Blair Kinghorn; 10-Adam Hastings 9-Ali Price; 1-Rory Sutherland, 2-Fraser Brown, 3-Zander Fagerson, 4-Scott Cummings, 5-Grant Gilchrist, 6-Jamie Ritchie 7-Hamish Watson, 8-Nick Haining.

Poor loss over Ireland
15 Stuart Hogg (Captain), 14 Darcy Graham, 13 Chris Harris, 12 Duncan Taylor, 11 Duhan van der Merwe, 10 Jaco van der Walt, 9 Ali Price; 1 Rory Sutherland, 2 Fraser Brown, 3 Zander Fagerson, 4 Scott Cummings, 5 Jonny Gray, 6 Blade Thomson, 7 Jamie Ritchie, 8 Matt Fagerson.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:35 am

bsando wrote:True, I had forgotten Russell and Hastings were out for all of it and that VDW started against Ireland.

It looked very promising after Scotland battled their way to beat France. That level of defence and attacking pragmatism would be fantastic.

Against Ireland in the Autumn it was too loose, although there was some nice attacking moments. I can see a lot of fans losing patience quickly if we have more 31 - 16 losses this 6N.

Strong win over France
15-Stuart Hogg (capt); 14-Sean Maitland, 13-Chris Harris, 12-Sam Johnson 11-Blair Kinghorn; 10-Adam Hastings 9-Ali Price; 1-Rory Sutherland, 2-Fraser Brown, 3-Zander Fagerson, 4-Scott Cummings, 5-Grant Gilchrist, 6-Jamie Ritchie 7-Hamish Watson, 8-Nick Haining.

Poor loss over Ireland
15 Stuart Hogg (Captain), 14 Darcy Graham, 13 Chris Harris, 12 Duncan Taylor, 11 Duhan van der Merwe, 10 Jaco van der Walt, 9 Ali Price; 1 Rory Sutherland, 2 Fraser Brown, 3 Zander Fagerson, 4 Scott Cummings, 5 Jonny Gray, 6 Blade Thomson, 7 Jamie Ritchie, 8 Matt Fagerson.
The glaring differences in those sides to me are:

1. No Mullet against Ireland
2. Much more balanced back three against France

On the latter point I think it's really important with Duhan breaking through to have balance on the other wing. Hogg has never been the strongest defensively, particularly in the tackle. Add in Duhan and Graham still developing their all round games at the top level and I think Maitland can still have a key role to play in the Scotland back three.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:21 pm

Back 3 is an interesting conundrum

I don't think Hoggs defense is really an issue but we have a bunch of great back 3 players with different strengths and weaknesses and selecting the best combination will be tricky especially with maitland playing so well.

TJ

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:45 pm

A good point Carlos, when the opposition fullback has the option of kicking it to one of Hogg, DVM or Graham, who do you think he'll be targeting? I like Graham a lot but he will always be a target at International level and his size did go against him at times in the Autumn (Ireland opportunist try for example). I think he knows he needs to be like Kolbe if he wants to cement his spot with Scotland.

Maitland is solid. He's lost some pace as he's aged but he defends very well under high balls and positionally I think he is excellent. If there is one player we should max out until the end it's probably him. I'd be more than happy to have him at the next world cup.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:19 pm

Maitland is still a very good player but he needs to be used correctly and that’s allowing him to use his rugby brain to get into positions (offensively or defensively)

At the next world cup he'll be 35 years old which is deffo twilight years for a back three player. For me the only way Maitland plays is if you have the offensive weapons of Duhan and Hogg along side him.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:19 pm

If Maitland makes the RWC 2023 as a first choice member of the back three, it will be a testament to his rugby intelligence and conditioning and an indictment of the development of our young players.

Kinghorn and Graham have each had moments in the spotlight with Graham the better of the two so far. If Graham returns to form offensively and sorts out some of his defensive work under the high ball, he should be the better player in two years time than a 35 year old Maitland. Kinghorn should develop and fill out more with age which should help him with making tackles.

It also ignores Blain (who has looked assured for Edinburgh) and McLean (who was called up to train with Scotland and may be starting for Glasgow next season) who are both looking to establish themselves as club pros in 2021 with the potential to be internationals by end 2022.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:06 am

I think Maitland can still travel to the world cup and not necessarily start against Ireland or South Africa. Just the sort of player who would be useful to help the younger guys out in a massive occasion such as that.

Graham does look his best when gets on ball a lot but I guess it's hard to do that when your side is getting battered by a physical Ireland up front. Which is probably when you'd like to have a bigger back three to help out.

I don't envy Toonie!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:36 am

I'd still have Maitland in my starting back three - Graham has bags of potential, but his form has dipped and needs to work on some of the boring elements of wing play. I'm not sure what to make of Kinghorn just now, plenty of talent but he wouldn't be in my squad on current form.

Maitland is such a classy player, I can't think of a more consistent performer for Scotland over the last 5 years.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 am

Blairhorn is going the way of Bradbury and just seems to not be applying himself fully

We basically had him or Hogg but now with Shug giving another fullback or utility back option, Blair needs to get his finger out or he could (if toonie ever tells shug what his problem with him is) find himself jsut out the squad
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:28 am

Had a listen to The BBC Rugby podcast last night, it was a very good listen.

Tom English and Fraser Brown were the guests.

Highland Shaun

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:25 am

VDM and Graham aren't playing for Edinburgh again this weekend which is a bit of a worry.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:11 am

could just be covid-related tbf

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:59 am

Blade Thompson was probably the stand out player this evening in a pretty poor Scarlets team that lost to the Blues. He has not any consistent form for Scotland so far, but when he plays like that you can see what Toonie sees in him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:14 am

I think he's one of the many 8s we've had that look good at club but fail to make the impact on the big stage. I think Fagerson is improving for Scotland and currently offers more than blade. Graham could easily upset the apple cart though, in my opinion he's like a more mobile haining.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:15 pm

Thomson seems to float on the wings for Scarlets going by that game. With Ritchie being ruled out for the start of the 6N perhaps Thomson would be better suited at 6 and Graham at 8 with Watson at 7? I like the balance of that backrow, don't think you lose much and takes pressure off Thomson to be a big abrasive ball carrier (which we all know now that he isn't).

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:48 pm

He did some fantastic breakdown work in that match as well. When he clears you out, you stay cleared out that's for sure.

If JR is out i could live with a Watson, Graham, Thompson combo

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next