The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+18
Galted
Maine man
VTR
hampo17
sirfredperry
king_carlos
James100
guildfordbat
eirebilly
JDizzle
Duty281
Soul Requiem
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pal Joey
KP_fan
msp83
Gooseberry
22 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 4 Empty Rest of the World

Post by Gooseberry Tue 12 Jan - 6:14

First topic message reminder :

Duty281 wrote:
JDizzle wrote:
Duty281 wrote:So the most likely scenario is an Australia/New Zealand final at Lord's.

There are many things wrong with the WTC - points system is convulsed and perhaps not particularly fair - but Test cricket at neutral venues is something worth getting excited about! Shame it is only one game.

Yeah, I can't personally say that I am a fan of the WTC. The points system doesn't work properly, fixtures are of unequal value and weighting, and boiling an entire test championship down to one solitary fixture to decide the winner doesn't seem right to me.

That said, I think that Australia and New Zealand are the two best test teams in the world right now and, if that is the final, it would be the right fixture. A shame, as you say, that it's only one game and not, at least, a three-game series.

The current system is a temporary fudge to get around the unforseen situation and make the best of whatever fixtures could be fulfilled.

Had it gone to plan all the teams wouldve played home and away fixtures and had equal opportunities to earn points. That hasnt been the case, but at the same time I dont think anyone can argue theres not a clear top 3 teams with England sat just behind them and the rest of the world a significant step back from that.

One off game may be a bit unfair in that the toss could well play a major part in deciding it, but its always been about providing a focused big televised event rather than genuine competition. However the remaining fixtures pan out we should end up with two teams who deserve to be in the final even if New Zealand have just played at home. A long series in a neutral country just isn't viable in the modern calendar or that interesting to anything other than the hardcore fans.

Gooseberry

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 4 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by alfie Mon 18 Jan - 14:36

Smith gone...good and bad for Australia though as that was a brute of a ball , really leapt at him and suggests the Aussie quicks might have some fun later.
Rather an optimistic review from Smith ...pretty clear his hand didn't leave the bat until after the glove was struck. But I guess they don't need reviews much for what is left of this innings.which might not be long as the pitch is clearly starting to act up a bit...

Siraj impressing today (except with his catching ). Lead 229

If we see enough dry weather a result is looking more likely...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Jan - 15:08

Green departs now. Made little contribution with the bat/ball in this series, a disappointing start to his test career. 

Six down and into the tail means Paine might be spared a declaration decision.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 18 Jan - 16:21

Well Paine fell too while I was off at Galle and rain halted play at 243/7 ... apparently we are getting back on soon but might be more weather on the way...

Lead of 276 might even be enough but I am sure Australia will want more. Wonder how many Starc & co can muster ?

Could India chase 300 on this tomorrow ? If the rain allows (big if) we might find out...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 18 Jan - 16:24

Duty281 wrote:Green departs now. Made little contribution with the bat/ball in this series, a disappointing start to his test career. 

He's made a couple of useful fifty approximates, and looked handy enough. And he is certainly an excellent fielder. But his bowling hasn't lived up to the hype ... was way too much hype anyway which probably did him no favours. He will get a run in the side and we will see how he develops.

alfie

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 18 Jan - 16:28

Duty281 wrote:Green departs now. Made little contribution with the bat/ball in this series, a disappointing start to his test career. 

Thought Green had a decent debut series with the bat, surely looked more consistent than Mitch Marsh... A declaration settin up 84 at SCG, couple of 40s, a 37 today, overall decent. Not sure his game against spin is organized enough at this stage though.
And Paine hasn't used him well with the ball I feel.

msp83

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 18 Jan - 16:29

Covers off at the Gabba, there is weather around, but not to the extended predicted, it seems. Only lost 1 over so far.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 18 Jan - 16:32

Actually Paine has hardly used him with the ball at all ! Surely he ought to have had more overs in Sydney , if only to prevent the exhaustion of his main strike force ? Which might have come back to bite a bit yesterday.

Has been a bit odd.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Jan - 17:39

India need 328 then. Looks awfully murky out there so unsure of how much of the remaining 90 minutes play we'll get...in fact they're going off now as it rains. Just as Hazlewood beats the bat with the eleventh ball of the innings.

Probably unlikely to get back on tonight with light that dark. Looks like a summer's day in Manchester out there.

Forecast doesn't look too bad for tomorrow, but forecasts for this test and the one in Galle have had all the accuracy and consistency of a newspaper horoscope.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Jan - 17:46

There is other cricket in the world going on, over in the UAE (where it never rains). Ireland lost to the UAE in the first ODI, a very disappointing result for them. Now in the second and final ODI* Ireland have made a poor start batting first and are 39/3 after 16. Foreign climes, yes, but a 2-0 defeat to the UAE doesn't sound very good. 

*Meant to be four games. Two cancelled.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 18 Jan - 19:03

Seems the weather will be not all that bad. India will have to play out of their skins to get away with this one. Good thing is that despite the circumstances presenting itself with a free self-destruct pass, Rohit Sharma didn't take it in the first over. With rain around with the team with their backs to the wall, a few overs to survive, would have been the right time for Rohit to play a few shots and transform the pressure to the Australians! Thankfully didn't happen!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 18 Jan - 19:17

So much for forecasts! India up against it, but all 3 results still possible. Tahkur and Siraj may well have blown the tipping contest wide open again!

Its a good performance from India batting second and with a scratch team to still be in this contest. Really feel they dont deserve to lose this series, but that's cricket and they did have a meltdown in the first test to blame if they do.

Think this has won the argument for 5 day tests. Also credit to the Australains for producing pitches that have allowed seamers and spinners to take wickets in every innings and most innings scoring in a good range.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 18 Jan - 19:28

msp83 wrote:

Thought Green had a decent debut series with the bat, surely looked more consistent than Mitch Marsh... A declaration settin up 84 at SCG, couple of 40s, a 37 today, overall decent. Not sure his game against spin is organized enough at this stage though.
And Paine hasn't used him well with the ball I feel.

Its maybe a bit early to call him consistent, but hes been OK with the bat. The problem for Australia is that at 6 having someone averaging in the mid 30's isnt great, Paine isn't the strongest 7 out there and Starc not the strongest 8. With a weak number 5 as well Australia would like it if he could get that average up around 40, but to have a genuine bowler who can do that is a rare luxury.

They do need that 5th bowler option though, and heres clearly better than his figures suggest. I will say again though that when you have a front 4 as strong as Australia's there isn't a right time to bowl someone who has test figures of 0/108 off 41 overs except as a containing bowler while they wait for the new ball.

The use of him now will be very interesting, Australia will be focused on taking wickets but they do need to keep an eye on the run rate, theres plenty of time to force a victory if India get a big partnership. But if they can keep the run rate below 3 that will become unrealistic pretty quickly so do they balance attack against economy and look to be able to set more attacking fields if needed later on day 5?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 18 Jan - 19:53

Though R Ashwin and Jasprit Bumrah had their moments in the game, it was Mohammed Siraj who produced the first 5for for India in the series. He dropped a couple of catchs but has been impressive otherwise. Shardul also bowled well, better than in the first innings. In fact, after Warner and Harris got off to a good start, it was he who helped India gaining some control. So overall, another impressive outing for the inexperienced bowling lineup.
Over to the batsmen now. They let the down in the first innings so badly, but not going on to make 1 substantial and substantive score though 5 out of 6 managed to get in, only to get out then. Can't leave it to Washington and Thakur tomorrow, 1 or 2 in the top 4 will have to get a big one tomorrow, not necessarily in terms of big runs, but bat a lot of time. And play normally, cut out the risk but use the scoring opportunities presented. Scoring 324 on that track on the last day is not really on cards, but Australia should feel that you are likely to try and do that if allowed. Stay positive and don't do anything reckless. They deserve to take a share of the series, shouldn't let it slip.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 18 Jan - 20:01

Gooseberry wrote:So much for forecasts! India up against it, but all 3 results still possible. Tahkur and Siraj may well have blown the tipping contest wide open again!

Its a good performance from India batting second and with a scratch team to still be in this contest. Really feel they dont deserve to lose this series, but that's cricket and they did have a meltdown in the first test to blame if they do.

Think this has won the argument for 5 day tests. Also credit to the Australains for producing pitches that have allowed seamers and spinners to take wickets in every innings and most innings scoring in a good range.
India surely up against it. Unless Pant bats 2 sessions or Rohit has a surprise up his sleaves, there is no way India is winning this. Think Australia has a safe enough total on a track that was progressively getting up and down as the day went on. Balls were jumping up from a good length. In such circumstances, can't expect the likes of Thakur or Sundar to do anything miraculous. A full day tomorrow, an Australian win is most likely. Then if the Indian batsmen apply themselves, if 2 of the top 4 at least manage to bat more than a session and a half, then a draw is likely.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 18 Jan - 20:12

Indian bowlers did well again to bowl Aus out for less than 300

I am not sure Rain if it comes has saved India. or Australia.... Shocked
With batting down to No. 9 ( you can count on Siraj to score you if 10 runs) and with Rohit, Gill and Pant in top 5...it only needed one and half of them to click to chase down the 2.6 RPO chase.

The Ooohs and Aaahs making Aussie commentators were imagining more deterioration of the pitch than has happened....and given that Lyon has been "sorted out " by Indians in this series & Starc's Radar ain't working well enuf.....Aus should be quietly relieved by the rain

Shardul's ability to swing at speeds of 135-139kph puts him in a rare class where there is only Bhuvi and Anderson currently.....and though at 29 no spring chicken.....he still has 5 years of peak cricket in him.
Many positives for India....hope they don't crumble tomm even in curtailed day
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 18 Jan - 20:14

msp83 wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:So much for forecasts! India up against it, but all 3 results still possible. Tahkur and Siraj may well have blown the tipping contest wide open again!

India surely up against it. Unless Pant  bats 2 sessions or Rohit has a surprise up his sleaves, there is no way India is winning this. Think Australia has a safe enough total on a track that was progressively getting up and down as the day went on. Balls were jumping up from a good length. In such circumstances, can't expect the likes of Thakur or Sundar to do anything miraculous. A full day tomorrow, an Australian win is most likely. Then  if the Indian batsmen apply themselves, if 2 of the top 4 at least manage to bat more than a session and a half, then a draw is likely.

They are in a much better position going into day 5 than they were the last test but yes India win is the least likely of 3 results and Aus should be confident of winning. Im not trusting the forecasts much now but there could well be more rain which pushes the chances of a draw up to significant, although would rob India of the slim chance of victory. Chasing 300+ is a huge ask anywhere against any opposition for any batting line up. India can bat time though.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 18 Jan - 20:19

KP_fan wrote:Indian bowlers did well again to bowl Aus out for less than 300

I am not sure Rain if it comes has saved India. or Australia.... Shocked
With batting down to No. 9 ( you can count on Siraj to score you if 10 runs) and with Rohit, Gill and Pant in top 5...it only needed one and half of them to click to chase down the 2.6 RPO chase.

The Ooohs and Aaahs making Aussie commentators were imagining more deterioration of the pitch than has happened....and given that Lyon has been "sorted out " by Indians in this series & Starc's Radar ain't working well enuf.....Aus should be quietly relieved by the rain

Shardul's ability to swing at speeds of 135-139kph puts him in a rare class where there is only Bhuvi and Anderson currently.....and though at 29 no spring chicken.....he still has 5 years of peak cricket in him.
Many positives for India....hope they don't crumble tomm even in curtailed day

Yeah the performance of the second string bowlers although patchy has to be a huge plus for India, and a concern for England. Some element of Australia not having had time to analyse them to death maybe but still India have done much better than expected especially after losing the toss.

Reading now they are looking to start early to make up some lost time form today, but that could well be delayed by rain and there will be threat around all day with high humidity. Will the Indians be more comfortable in that heat and humidity than the Australian fast bowlers? It'll probably mean a lot of conventional swing around for Hazelwood though. All in a real test ..hope India can battle on to make it a genuine contest

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 18 Jan - 20:34

Forecast similar to today. Showers early , possible storm . It is the latter that threatens to have the last word...when they hit in Queensland they take a lot of stopping...

98 overs makes 324 theoretically gettable. But fifth day - and the ball was jumping late today : can't see it. And any lost time surely kills it. So India need to bat it out. They'll still want to be scoring though , "natural game" as it were ... perhaps suggesting Rohit exercises a little more discretion Smile

My own guess is we won't see a full day , though not sure how much will be lost. Aussie bowlers will tire if India force them to go long , as we saw in Sydney ; and Starc seems to have a bit of a hamstring niggle so early wickets will be vital. And Lyon could do my fantasy team as well as his country a great service if he takes a bag Smile

Fifty/fifty Aus win or draw I think.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 18 Jan - 20:36

India should alter the batting order tomm
1-Gill
2-Rohit
3- Sundar
4- Pant
5- Shardul
6-Rahane
7- Agarwal
8.Pujara
9-Siraj

This line-.up gives the stroke makers a platform to keep going ...and Rahane / Agarwal and Pujara to drop shutters if the top-5 have not tgake us to a win

offcouse this has to be implented with felxibility i.e if there is no crashat the top.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 18 Jan - 20:36

I think they will( or should) aim for 105 overs tomm
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Jan - 21:28

alfie wrote:Actually Paine has hardly used him with the ball at all !  Surely he ought to have had more overs in Sydney , if only to prevent the  exhaustion of his main strike force ? Which might have come back to bite a bit yesterday.

Has been a bit odd.

I err know it's jumping the gun a bit, and there's a very good chance Cummins and co pull it off tomorrow...but surely it is time to look for the next captain if you're Australia? Even if we take out the consideration that his keeping is a bit rubbish, he's never made a test hundred and isn't nothing more than a battler with the bat...Paine's just actual captaincy in the field in terms of tactics and usage of bowlers, usage of DRS, is poor at best.

I'm not really sure "but who else is there?" is a real retort for this either, because it must be worth giving Labuschagne (someone who is clearly going to be round for the next 5-10 years) a go? Paine did a role after the Joburg shambles, but feels to me like the time for that has long passed and if they're going to take the next step as a side, this is a move they need to make

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 18 Jan - 21:42

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:Actually Paine has hardly used him with the ball at all !  Surely he ought to have had more overs in Sydney , if only to prevent the  exhaustion of his main strike force ? Which might have come back to bite a bit yesterday.

Has been a bit odd.

I err know it's jumping the gun a bit, and there's a very good chance Cummins and co pull it off tomorrow...but surely it is time to look for the next captain if you're Australia? Even if we take out the consideration that his keeping is a bit rubbish, he's never made a test hundred and isn't nothing more than a battler with the bat...Paine's just actual captaincy in the field in terms of tactics and usage of bowlers, usage of DRS, is poor at best.

I'm not really sure "but who else is there?" is a real retort for this either, because it must be worth giving Labuschagne (someone who is clearly going to be round for the next 5-10 years) a go? Paine did a role after the Joburg shambles, but feels to me like the time for that has long passed and if they're going to take the next step as a side, this is a move they need to make

Theres a big element of not wanting to upset the dressing room/hes a good bloke etc and a recognition that his leadership has rebuilt the image of Australian cricket (despite Smiths best efforts) and he did turn a truly appalling group of players into a winning team before before Smith and Warner returned. Any replacement would have to have a level of seniority that they could impose themselves over the big stars. Certainly when he was given the job it was pretty much a last choice scenario, the only other way to go would've been one of the bowlers but they tend to get rotated out/injured.

If they do contrive to lose this game somehow they will be a real pressure on him. Whilst Wade hasn't exactly pressured his place there are now you batting keepers like Carey who could be given a go. Labuschange is just about established enough as more than a flash in the pan player to be considered as a captain. He certainly isnt going to get any better with age.

The flip side is they still have a second opener and fifth batsman to find, and Green has yet to firmly establish that he is the answer at 6. With the degree of uncertainty in the batting line up the pressure is lessened a bit on his place.

Paine is an problem for Australia, but i don't think they will be in a rush to push him out. A big part will be if he feels he can keep going. The obvious time to go would be after the world final, it would be a big decision to make ahead of that. Of course if Aus don't make the top 2 then that question goes out, and again you have an ideal time for him to resign.

So all in I think by far the most likely scenario is that although there's a strong case he's holding Australia back currently that we wont see anything done till Australia's fate in the WTC is decided.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 18 Jan - 22:31

alfie wrote:Forecast similar to today.  Showers early , possible storm . It is the latter that threatens to have the last word...when they hit in Queensland they take a lot of stopping...

98 overs makes 324 theoretically gettable. But fifth day - and the ball was jumping late today : can't see it. And any lost time surely kills it. So India need to bat it out. They'll still want to be scoring though , "natural game" as it were ... perhaps suggesting Rohit exercises a little more discretion Smile

My own guess is we won't see a full day , though not sure how much will be lost. Aussie bowlers will tire if India force them to go long , as we saw in Sydney ; and Starc seems to have a bit of a hamstring niggle so early wickets will be vital.  And Lyon could do my fantasy team as well as his country a great service if he takes a bag Smile

Fifty/fifty Aus win or draw I think.

I think it's around 60% Australia, 35% draw, 5% India. 

If the weather stays clear enough for at least 75 overs, which the (unreliable) forecast seems to indicate will happen, Australia should win. Bit of uneven bounce, lengthy lower order (albeit a successful one last time), new ball immediately in use, and a world-class bowling attack - all in Australia's favour. 

Can't discount India's chances because there is a remote possibility that Rohit/Pant produce something ala Stokes at Headingley. And we've seen enough comeback wins and bizarre results over the past couple of years.

Chance of a draw, of course, relies on another valiant rearguard defence, probably led from Pujara and/or Rahane, and a bit of help from the rain. 

I do think India deserve something from this series, so I hope they escape with a draw or better. They responded magnificently after going one-nil down through being bowled out for 36, then missing their captain and best batsman, then undergoing torrid luck with injuries, before performing a great escape at Sydney. To go through all that and still end up losing the series on the final day would be a cruel blow.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 19 Jan - 1:24

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/aus-vs-ind-mitchell-starc-gives-australia-hamstring-scare-on-eve-of-decisive-day-in-brisbane-1248320

Hope its not hamstring.....It would be a shame if Starc is unfit...or trundles in at 130kph tomm
Cummins also did not take the field today ...probably due to the knock on the gloves, but that wasn't a serious affair.
The toil that Indian have made them put thru in last 3 innings  and especially the unduly stretched last two innings is severe.

Aus do have the luxury of a 2 metre long  ( i mean tall) 140+ kph pacer in Green.....whom Paine has not utilzed optimally IMO..
This means Green will get a proper bowl like a bowler......I like the look of Green..he has the makings of a proper allrounder
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 19 Jan - 1:54

About time things evened up in that regard, Australia have done well to keep their front 3 fit through the series. A shame if rain does rob any chance of an Indian victory, but still a draw would be good reward for them. Worst case for everyone is if most or all of the day is rained off.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 19 Jan - 6:45

By the way I read the umpires warned Shardul Thakur for intimidatory bowling when he tried the short stuff to the Australian lower order! Seriously? I mean really? Didn't they see what they wre doing to Natarajan? A man who averages 2 in First Class cricket and clearly didn't want to face up to the short stuff? They probably bowled one ball at his stumps and he duely got bowled, everything else was at the head.
I don't exactly know the situation in which they seemingly warned Thakur, but I just hope they stay consistent at the very least.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan - 7:30

Things looking quite promising in Brisbane. The radar only has a few spots of rain currently, most of the overnight rain hasn't materialised, and indications are that the Gabba will be doused in sunshine for the late afternoon.

Duty281

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 7:48

Duty281 wrote:Things looking quite promising in Brisbane. The radar only has a few spots of rain currently, most of the overnight rain hasn't materialised, and indications are that the Gabba will be doused in sunshine for the late afternoon.
All about that first session then. If India can keep wickets in hand and score just fast enough to push the field out a bit then it could be fascinating day. If Australia take early wickets or can strangle the run rate enough to keep lots of men in catching positions then it may well just be a matter of time.

It's been an excellent Test series and I really hope India can pull off the draw at least as you've got to love an underdog story. Rahane is a very likable cricketer, it would be brilliant if he could put in a day five captains innings to take the retain the trophy. It will take a Ponting at Old Trafford type innings from one of the senior bats though.

Australia definitely favourites have set a target of over 300 at the Gabbatoir but with all three results on the table going into the final day of a decisive Test it's hard not to hope for the unexpected.

king_carlos

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 7:48

Duty281 wrote:Things looking quite promising in Brisbane. The radar only has a few spots of rain currently, most of the overnight rain hasn't materialised, and indications are that the Gabba will be doused in sunshine for the late afternoon.
All about that first session then. If India can keep wickets in hand and score just fast enough to push the field out a bit then it could be fascinating day. If Australia take early wickets or can strangle the run rate enough to keep lots of men in catching positions then it may well just be a matter of time.

It's been an excellent Test series and I really hope India can pull off the draw at least as you've got to love an underdog story. Rahane is a very likable cricketer, it would be brilliant if he could put in a day five captains innings to take the retain the trophy. It will take a Ponting at Old Trafford type innings from one of the senior bats though.

Australia definitely favourites have set a target of over 300 at the Gabbatoir but with all three results on the table going into the final day of a decisive Test it's hard not to hope for the unexpected.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 19 Jan - 8:08

This could be as accurate as your post quoting BBC weather yesterday Very Happy
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan - 8:58

KP_fan wrote:

This could be as accurate as your post quoting BBC weather yesterday Very Happy

Could be! The BBC yesterday going for 98-100% chance of rain in Brisbane all day, today it's under 25% with plenty of sunshine throughout. Maybe they'll mislead us two days in a row.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 10:48

Lots of rain overnight by the sounds of things. The outfield seems slower and the ball is nipping about a bit but then again the latter always seem true when Cummins and Hazlewood have bowled in this series.

Rohit and Gill looking steady enough in the first 5 overs despite the ball being put in good areas.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan - 10:59

Cummins gets the breakthrough and it's the dangerous Rohit, one of the two who have the firepower to put Australia on the backfoot. 

Has been a superb start from Cummins and Hazlewood. Consistently good length and line on/just outside off stump heaping the pressure on. Well deserved. Tidy take from Paine, too.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 11:02

Arggh Rohit goes. Just what India didn't need in the first 10 overs after they'd looked relatively solid.

It's a really good line and length from Cummins.

As is so often the case after an early wicket it suddenly feels like the ball is doing more. Second ball to Pujara jags back just past his off stump.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan - 11:12

Green the first change bowler - interesting. Might mean Starc's injury is problematic, despite his assertions to the contrary earlier, or that Paine suddenly has a great deal more faith.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 11:12

There's something very fun about a Test opener using a bat with no stickers on it. Shubman Gill's blank bat doing well so far.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 11:13

Duty281 wrote:Green the first change bowler - interesting. Might mean Starc's injury is problematic, despite his assertions to the contrary earlier, or that Paine suddenly has a great deal more faith.
I was thinking that.

Starc's average of 34 this series is below his best then Lyon averaging 58 is dire for a very consistent spinner.

Australia need a change bowler to back up Cummins and Hazlewood today.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 11:23

Cam Green doesn't half get the ball to sail through to the keeper. Really good carry.

Pujara 21 balls in and not a run scored. In the situation you love to see it. With Rohit falling early he has such an important role to play here.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan - 11:24

king_carlos wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Green the first change bowler - interesting. Might mean Starc's injury is problematic, despite his assertions to the contrary earlier, or that Paine suddenly has a great deal more faith.
I was thinking that.

Starc's average of 34 this series is below his best then Lyon averaging 58 is dire for a very consistent spinner.

Yeah, I think Starc's been below his best this series, though he's coming on to bowl now. Lyon, I feel, has bowled quite well overall but, ultimately, with little reward. I'm surprised they haven't rotated their bowling through this series, especially with the three tests against South Africa coming up soon.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 11:32

Duty281 wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
I was thinking that.

Yeah, I think Starc's been below his best this series, though he's coming on to bowl now. Lyon, I feel, has bowled quite well overall but, ultimately, with little reward. I'm surprised they haven't rotated their bowling through this series, especially with the three tests against South Africa coming up soon.
Agreed Starc hasn't really found his rhythm. I can only guess that Pattinson isn't quite ready for Test cricket with few overs under his belt and having been in the bubble. Presumably they will be desperate for him to get some overs before the SA series.

Nesser has good first-class figures but not quite the pace that Australia favour at home. Seems more a back up for Hazlewood.

Had Abbott not been withdrawn he maybe would have featured?

Gill is batting well here.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 11:41

Oofft that LBW review was a lot closer than I thought on first viewing.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan - 11:42

Wow...Pujara survives an Australian referral from Lyon's bowling on umpire's call. Thought it was comfortably not-out in real-time, but actually very close.

That would have been a mammoth wicket.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 11:49

Starc seeming to find a rhythm in that last over of his spell.

Lyon is landing them well and doing his usual job of flying through his overs at a rapid rate so that the batsman get little let up at the other end.

If Lyon can settle then Australia will be well set to rotate the quicks from the other end.

20 overs bowled and only one wicket down though. I think India probably would have taken that if offered it before play started.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 12:22

That's a fine fifty for Gill under a lot of pressure after the early wicket. He's been proactive and looks unfazed.

Lyon and Pujara is developing into a good battle.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan - 12:27

Lyon looks the most likely at the moment, but India are currently in control. Australia need at least one more before lunch otherwise it's very tough to see them winning. The odd ball has misbehaved, though not frequently enough to get into the head of the Indian batsmen.

(Shane Warne - please shut up for at least a minute)

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan - 12:30

Duty281 wrote:Wow...Pujara survives an Australian referral from Lyon's bowling on umpire's call. Thought it was comfortably not-out in real-time, but actually very close.

That would have been a mammoth wicket.

One where the oft-derided "umpires call" probably got the right result - although it was apparently much closer than it looked live. You'd be very unlucky to be given out for that ! If umpires started giving those well down the pitch no shot calls as speculatively as that , some games might be over early...

Interesting morning so far. Rohit falling not exactly a surprise , Gill looks positive as ever , and Pujara...is Pujara. Starc clearly not fully fit . Cummins probably the key bowler unless/until Lyon gets a bit better luck/lift in confidence and starts really working on their nerves.

Don't think India have any chance of chasing down this score even if the rain holds off , but the longer the early bats can keep Australia at bay the better their hopes of grinding out a draw. Thirty overs gone and up to seventy more so that's a long way to grind...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 12:31

30 overs bowled, 60-1.

I'd agree that Lyon looks most likely.

Cummins coming back into the attack now. This will be a fiery spell before lunch I feel. If India can weather the second spell from Cummins they will grow in confidence.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Jan - 12:35

msp83 wrote:By the way I read the umpires warned Shardul Thakur for intimidatory bowling when he tried the short stuff to the Australian lower order! Seriously? I mean really? Didn't they see what they wre doing to Natarajan? A man who averages 2 in First Class cricket and clearly didn't want to face up to the short stuff? They probably bowled one ball at his stumps and he duely got bowled, everything else was at the head.
I don't exactly know the situation in which they seemingly warned Thakur, but I just hope they stay consistent at the very least.

Yeah I had a laugh at that one too. It was Cummins for heavens sake ...after he'd been batting for quite a while. As Mark Waugh I think said at the time if you can't bounce a number eight it's getting a bit silly ! And a high bouncer , after a couple of earlier short balls...compared with the sort of sustained assault on tailenders we frequently see from Starc in particular it seemed like a ridiculous piece of officiating - cannot imagine what got into the umpires head then picard

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Jan - 12:41

Quite fiery as Cummins hits Pujara twice, one quite nasty on the back of the helmet. Hope he's alright.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Jan - 12:50

Cummins is bowling really well to Pujara here. It's pretty clear that Cummins has been brought back to bowl shorter and rough Pujara up a bit.

He's not playing it particularly well it must be said but most importantly he is still there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next