The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Wales win a Grand Slam?

+8
Cyril
Mr Bounce
majesticimperialman
whatahitson
BigGee
RiscaGame
No 7&1/2
bsando
12 posters

Go down

Will Wales win the Grand Slam?

Will Wales win a Grand Slam? Vote_lcap31%Will Wales win a Grand Slam? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 9 ]
Will Wales win a Grand Slam? Vote_lcap69%Will Wales win a Grand Slam? Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 20 ]

Total Votes : 29

Poll closed

Will Wales win a Grand Slam? Empty Will Wales win a Grand Slam?

Post by bsando Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Despite the postponed France vs Scotland match only one team can potentially win a Grand Slam this weekend.

Will AWJ and his merry team of men be drinking deeply from the Six Nations trophy this Saturday? Or will the much fancied France deny them of a final victory?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Will Wales win a Grand Slam? Empty Re: Will Wales win a Grand Slam?

Post by bsando Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:13 pm

I'll congratulate Wales fans ahead of this fixture. I think four wins is a very good achievement even if Wales were to lose this weekend. They're a side who can plot a way through adversity and make the most of their opportunities.

Lots to be said about the way Wales have come through their matches this tournament. Being able to squeeze a win out over one of the pre tournament favourites would be one heck of a way to win a Grand Slam.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:23 pm

If they do it they've had a good dollop of luck but you generally need some to win a grand slam. I don't think they will given they've got France away who are playing to win the comp themselves but France can implode.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:10 pm

The two games last year, stick in my mind. So hopefully there are a few Welsh players aiming to prove a point.

To be honest, I’ve said no. I would normally back the home team in most games of this tournament (Italy aside).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:15 pm

It's still a tall tall order, this French side are very good but no side in the competition has proved itself better than Wales in staying in the game and getting the result.

There was a suspiscion in the England v France game, that France are not quite yet an 80 minute team yet and can fade a little if they have not put you away well before then end. So if Wales can stay in the game who knows.

Wales have been a bit lucky in some of their earlier games, but if they do pull off a GS, they will certainly deserve it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:27 pm

No but they might still win the tournament.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:01 pm

I think it would be the most unpopular Grand Slam win EVER on these boards. x 10!

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:17 pm

At the start of the tournament i would have said "NO CHANCE" but seeing they are 4-4 you must fancy them for the Grand Slam..... I do also think France will be to strong for them, it will be close but not this year.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:20 pm

Wales have had a lot of luck this season - Ireland looked like they could beat them, even with 14, Scotland were pushing hard before the red card, and Italy, well, were Italy. The England game was a decent win for Wales, with a bit of luck thrown in through the contentious tries and of course, England's stupidity.

Against a decent France, in Paris? the romantic in me would love to see it, but I think France will want bounce back from the England defeat and I think they'll come out swinging. The French will have a point to prove and unfortunately Wales will be on the receiving end.

I think it will be a cracking game!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:22 pm

Wales already deserve a heck of a lot of respect for their results so far and how they’ve turned around their results since the last World Cup. Pivac has been roundly criticised (in some cases rightly) but it’s not often a side have to unpick and move on from a deeply entrenched playing philosophy such as the Gatland/Edwards era. We almost expect a new coach to come in and hit the ground running with immediate success such as the Gatland, Schmidt and Jones tenures. This has taken a bit longer for Pivac and while there may have been some fortune involved you rarely win a championship or slam without looking back at some real 50/50 moments.

I’d see France winning by a small margin but Wales taking the championship, which a couple of months ago seemed nigh on impossible for most.

Fair play, Wales and hopefully we can look forward to some really tightly fought 6Ns in the future as there’s not a lot between the home nations and France at the moment.

Cyril

flyhalffactory and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:54 pm

Cyril wrote:Wales already deserve a heck of a lot of respect for their results so far and how they’ve turned around their results since the last World Cup. Pivac has been roundly criticised (in some cases rightly) but it’s not often a side have to unpick and move on from a deeply entrenched playing philosophy such as the Gatland/Edwards era. We almost expect a new coach to come in and hit the ground running with immediate success such as the Gatland, Schmidt and Jones tenures. This has taken a bit longer for Pivac and while there may have been some fortune involved you rarely win a championship or slam without looking back at some real 50/50 moments.

I’d see France winning by a small margin but Wales taking the championship, which a couple of months ago seemed nigh on impossible for most.

Fair play, Wales and hopefully we can look forward to some really tightly fought 6Ns in the future as there’s not a lot between the home nations and France at the moment.

Came to see the WUM but ended up being impressed with a Cyril post! You’ve changed! But seriously, nice post. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:31 am

Cant put it past them but surely even the most ardent Wales supporter/Pivac apologist would think they have the better players, or even have been especially strong through the tournament to "deserve" a grand slam. Theres been better Wales sides not getting as good results.

But a wins a win, and they are certainly capable of beating France. No question they will be up for it, possibly more so than the French players.

Their best performance was the victory over England, and I don't think that was solely down to the dodgy tries. They were the better side overall.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Really hope so... Fingers Crossed

But I fear we wont... Sad

I've never wanted to be so wrong....

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:04 pm

Wales will edge it. French will get two reds.

Fra 27 Wal 29
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:41 am

We can argue Wales were lucky against us and Ireland but I don't agree, discipline is part of rugby, both Ireland and Scotland were poor in that respect. Wales are notorious for hanging in the match and if we look at the England game, it's not unreasonable  to say they wouldn't have come good in both those Scotland & Ireland matches even against 15 men.

They were excellent against England and well Italy are.....Italy

I don't think any Welsh poster/fan will say they have been the best performing team coming into the 6Ns but as Pivac stated the ANC was for "development" and the 6Ns was for winning.

If Wales win the GS it will be as deserved as any other GS victory

My take on the result
France 18 - 27 Wales
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down