The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Go down

SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 05 May 2021, 4:28 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A 14 MAN SQUAD THAT WILL TRAVEL TO TAKE ON LEICESTERSHIRE IN THE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP FIXTURE, STARTING AT THE UPTONSTEEL COUNTY GROUND ON THURSDAY.
Seam bowler Reece Topley is welcomed back to the squad after missing the victory over Hampshire due to rest Very Happy but West Indian fast bowler Kemar Roach misses the trip to the East Midlands with a back complaint. Sad
As well as those who played in the Hampshire defeat, there are squad opportunities for batsman Will Jacks, left arm spinner Daniel Moriarty and seamer Gus Atkinson.
There is still no place in the squad for Ben Geddes Wink Connor McKerr, Ryan Patel, Liam Plunkett, Laurie Evans, Jade Dernbach or James Taylor.
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (captain)
Hashim Amla
Gus Atkinson
Jordan Clark
Rikki Clarke
Ben Foakes (wk)
Will Jacks
Daniel Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Ollie Pope
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
Reece Topley
Amar Virdi
Massive blow to lose Roach 0nly slightly tempered by the return of Topley.
If Roach had played I would have thought Overton would have been on drink duties, as it is the usual three suspects of Atkinson, Jacks and Moriarty will mostly have that duty.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Wed 05 May 2021, 6:44 pm

Cheers once more, JimBob.

Very much agree with your comments and reasoning. As you say, Roach is a big loss. Atkinson might just push Overton out but I doubt it.

This has to be a ''win game'' for us. Hoping the players and the weather are aware!

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 06 May 2021, 10:42 am

Team as predicted
Leicestershire win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 06 May 2021, 11:05 am

Although I'm nearly always ''win the toss and bat'', I'm not too disappointed that we should be batting last in this game. If there's some bad weather around as expected, we'll know what gear we need to be in to go for the win second dig.

Anyway, that's in the future. Need to bowl 'em out today. A couple of wickets for Overton are much needed ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 06 May 2021, 11:24 am

guildfordbat wrote:Anyway, that's in the future. Need to bowl 'em out today. A couple of wickets for Overton  are much needed ....

JOverton was Somerset’s fourth seamer when he has played in the CC. A luxury perhaps they could afford with their batting depth. But he was best utilised in short spells to bowl rockets. I think if he is your opener bowling you need some more bowling, albeit Curran x2 are due to come back.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 06 May 2021, 11:27 am

Cheers Jimbob, tidy start from the bowlers, but unfortunately I think the weather will win this one

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 06 May 2021, 11:37 am

1st wkt for Topley Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 06 May 2021, 11:55 am

JDizzle wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Anyway, that's in the future. Need to bowl 'em out today. A couple of wickets for Overton  are much needed ....

JOverton was Somerset’s fourth seamer when he has played in the CC. A luxury perhaps they could afford with their batting depth. But he was best utilised in short spells to bowl rockets. I think if he is your opener bowling you need some more bowling, albeit Curran x2 are due to come back.
If Roach had been fit there is no way Overton would be playing this game, he's bowling has been awful since joining us.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 06 May 2021, 3:18 pm

steam steam steam steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 06 May 2021, 4:14 pm

192 for 1 at tea picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 06 May 2021, 4:26 pm

Back to normal after the false dawn of skittling Hants who only got 70-odd all out today which puts it into perspective. Need the Currans back ASAP and get rid of Overton. Also don't know why Moriarty hasn't bveen given a chance after doing well last year.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 06 May 2021, 7:58 pm

Didn't see much of today but, after a horrible afternoon, a decent comeback to have Leics 6 down at stumps.

A Surrey win is still possible but we need a good day tomorrow. We'll probably have to win all 3 sessions. Especially the first - would like 'em all out under 350.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 06 May 2021, 8:55 pm

Rikki said in the interview after that's it another flat pitch so this will probably end up like the game at the oval SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP 1f634

jimbobgooner

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 06 May 2021, 11:14 pm

Yep another flat one, and weather due

Draw barring a miracle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Fri 07 May 2021, 12:31 pm

What did you say Guildford?! Flat pitch or not, this is very poor

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 May 2021, 1:27 pm

thegooch7 wrote:What did you say Guildford?! Flat pitch or not, this is very poor

Been out all morning and just as well for my blood pressure that I was!

I wanted Leics all out within the first hour for under 350 and didn't feel that was ridiculously optimistic. Only 1 wicket taken all morning - amazingly by Overton - and now at 439/7, Leics could even post north of 500!

The wicket to fall was that of Ben Mike. Needless to say, the 22 year old with a fc average of 19 scored a career best 74.

Very poor indeed.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 May 2021, 3:20 pm

The first part of the Surrey horror show ends with Leics all out for 496.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 07 May 2021, 3:27 pm

When the captain bowls on the 2nd day you know its going to be fun Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 May 2021, 4:34 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:When the captain bowls on the 2nd day you know its going to be fun Laugh

Yeah, what was that about?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 07 May 2021, 4:41 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:When the captain bowls on the 2nd day you know its going to be fun Laugh

Dig at the groundsman?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 07 May 2021, 5:23 pm

50 for Rocky clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 07 May 2021, 5:24 pm

50 for Burns clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 May 2021, 6:43 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Dig at the groundsman?

So it should be - pitch is as bad as the one at the Oval the other week
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 07 May 2021, 10:02 pm

Leicestershire commentator saying another absorbing day of red ball cricket picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 08 May 2021, 12:08 am

I take it the pitch is a batsman's paradise then, better get our 5 batting points and take the draw, teams don't seem interested in setting a last innings target anymore

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 May 2021, 12:13 pm

thegooch7 wrote:I take it the pitch is a batsman's paradise then, better get our 5 batting points and take the draw, teams don't seem interested in setting a last innings target anymore

Yeah. If all today is lost and tomorrow looks like a good day, I would consider trying to talk Leics into agreeing to our declaring where we are, they forfeit their second innings (or have a handful of overs before they declare) and we then go for a target of 350/380.

However, that relies on both Leics and the weather playing ball - not likely! As Goochie suggests, the most practical option seems to be batting on for the bonus points and the draw before heading home.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 May 2021, 11:46 am

Very disappointing state of affairs. Pitch inspection now due at 12:15 following the one held at 11:00.

Certainly nothing but a few bonus points left on offer for both sides.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 1:25 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Very disappointing state of affairs. Pitch inspection now due at 12:15 following the one held at 11:00.

Certainly nothing but a few bonus points left on offer for both sides.
Anything to stop us getting full batting points furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 3:24 pm

Not for the 1st time this season Burns gets past fifty then gets out Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 May 2021, 3:45 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Not for the 1st time this season Burns gets past fifty then gets out Rolling Eyes

Yeah, you beat me to it, JimBob. A ton on this road against these ordinary bowlers was surely on offer for Burns.

Realistically, I think we should be trying for 4 batting points now. With the overs available today, that should mean 350 in 93 overs. If we have wickets in hand, we can go for broke in the last 20.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 4:01 pm

Tea
201 needed off a minimum 33 overs for full batting points Fingers Crossed

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 May 2021, 4:07 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Tea
201 needed off a minimum 33 overs for full batting points Fingers Crossed

I doubt they'll bowl more than the 33. Think you're pushing your luck, JimBob, for us to clobber another 201.
151 would do me from here.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 4:33 pm

100 for rocky Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 May 2021, 4:47 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:100 for rocky Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo clap clap clap

It shouldn't have been too hard for Rocky today but credit to him for taking the opportunity, particularly as he's been in wretched form and probably low on confidence with Patel mounting a challenge for an opening spot (a ton and a 60 for the stiffs this week). clap clap

As you said earlier, JimBob, Burns didn't take the same opportunity.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 May 2021, 5:09 pm

258/5.

Never mind full batting points, we could still be following on the way this is going!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 5:10 pm

guildfordbat wrote:258/5.

Never mind full batting points, we could still be following on the way this is going!
Laugh Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 5:14 pm

absolute stinker of a ball that got smith Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 5:21 pm

1 hour left Leicestershire need 14 wkts SURREY VS LEICESTERSHIRE LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP 1f631

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 5:41 pm

8 down

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 5:44 pm

3rd and final batting point

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 May 2021, 5:46 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:3rd and final batting point

Yeah, that would seem to be it for us. Max of 10 overs left. Leics will want a 3rd bowling point and I wouldn't bet against them getting it with us now 8 down and Topley at the crease!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 May 2021, 6:05 pm

324 all out
Match drawn

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 May 2021, 6:15 pm

Don’t think this one will be remembered in the annuls of time!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 09 May 2021, 6:17 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:324 all out
Match drawn

Even allowing for us in being in a run chase for bonus points, to collapse from 255/2 to 324 all out against an ordinary attack on a road is very disappointing.

Can't see the Cidermen being too worried against us on their home track come Thursday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down