The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bledisloe Cup

+22
Brendan
Collapse2005
demosthenes
George Carlin
sensisball
Duty281
RiscaGame
RDW
aucklandlaurie
formerly known as Sam
westisbest
Old Man
MichaelT
protea438
bsando
TightHEAD
jimbopip
No 7&1/2
mikey_dragon
doctor_grey
BamBam
Rugby Fan
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 4 Empty Bledisloe Cup

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 04 Aug 2021, 2:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wallabies coach Dave Rennie says a good portion of his squad is “pretty angry” at the behaviour of winger Marika Koroibete, back-rower Isi Naisarani and prop Pone Fa’amausili after a late night drinking session resulted in the trio being stood down for Saturday’s Bledisloe Cup opener against the All Blacks.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/three-wallabies-dropped-from-bledisloe-opener-after-drinking-session-20210804-p58fw0.html

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Bledisloe Cup  - Page 4 Empty Re: Bledisloe Cup

Post by RDW Sat 11 Sep 2021, 7:37 am

So are we going to start see fullbacks Kung Fu kicking now instead of just putting the knee up when they go and catch the ball?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 7:54 am

If they want to risk red cards they will.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 11 Sep 2021, 8:59 am

RDW wrote:So are we going to start see fullbacks Kung Fu kicking now instead of just putting the knee up when they go and catch the ball?

Shock a big name NZ player is let off his suspension in the middle of an international tournament with strict Covid bubbles. Come on don't tell me you didn't see that one coming?

The citing process is about as reliable and consistent as a politician. Anyone raising their boot very much runs the risk of anything from just a penalty to a 6 week ban.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 9:19 am

People have raised other examples of a catcher kicking out in the air and receiving red cards, who are the examples? Tried tracking down the Adam Hastings one but couldn’t find anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 9:24 am

RDW wrote:So are we going to start see fullbacks Kung Fu kicking now instead of just putting the knee up when they go and catch the ball?
Doubt it, Jordie was let off because his leg extended in an instinctive biomechanical move ‘whilst in the air’ to correct his balance and was not made to kick a player or warn them off from tackling him.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Sep 2021, 9:43 am

ebop wrote:People have raised other examples of a catcher kicking out in the air and receiving red cards, who are the examples? Tried tracking down the Adam Hastings one but couldn’t find anything.

https://www.rugbydump.com/news/nasty-boot-to-the-face-results-in-red-card-for-adam-hastings/

Here it is, it looks pretty similar to me!

There is also one around for Paolo Odogwu, who got 6 weeks for his, which again, was no better or worse than what Barrett did.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 10:31 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Shock a big name NZ player is let off his suspension in the middle of an international tournament with strict Covid bubbles. Come on don't tell me you didn't see that one coming?

The citing process is about as reliable and consistent as a politician. Anyone raising their boot very much runs the risk of anything from just a penalty to a 6 week ban.

You cynic!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 10:38 am

Seems the NH disciplinary panels don’t accept the ‘he only did it to keep his balance’ argument. But it seems the SH one did, in this instance, along with a long list of current players and ex-players around the world that saw the footage and agreed with the outcome, ah well.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 11:16 am

I think he did it to keep his balance too. Clear red card.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Sep 2021, 11:26 am

If you allow that, then it won't be long before coaches are telling players to jump up like that with their foot out to allow them to take the ball cleanly.

I don't think any of them meant to kick the other players, but it was a consequence of a mistimed jump. As with all of the unintended things that go on in the rugby field that are unintended but nevertheless dangerous, they have got to be penalised. It is the only way you will get rid of them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 1:55 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I think he did it to keep his balance too. Clear red card.
Yeah, he kicked his leg out to correct his balance and therefore it wasn’t a reckless act. That’s what the judicial committee decided and is why the red card will be wiped from his record. I’m glad he made that instinctive decision and didn’t land on his head and also that Koroibete wasn’t hurt in the process.

Last edited by ebop on Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:00 pm

Yeah. Definite red.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:02 pm

Nah, you see, the judiciary ruled otherwise so the referee and TMO got it wrong. They’d know.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:12 pm

I don't think you know what a judiciary is.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:20 pm

What would you call the SANZAAR ‘judiciary’ panel? It’s what they’re called sorry to inform you.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:27 pm

Oh sorry. I take it back. SANZAAR don't know what a judiciary panel is.

They really are in a mess down there.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:32 pm

That’s ok, at least you admit your ignorance. Do you think maybe the equivalents up north got it wrong with all the similar incidents given all the NH players and ex-players that have backed the Jordie Barrett decision?

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:43 pm

My ignorance of their mistake yes.

No in the North we've seen the refs etc call it correctly. Saw the ref get it right here too. There's always the odd error and I'm sure the teams will be being informed they can't do it without seeing further reds.

At least they should be. Sometime you see unions putting pressure to relax the laws.

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:43 pm

Wasn't it Lee Byrne who did something similar vs Scotland? I can't remember if the guy who 'ran into his foot' got a yellow or if it was just a penalty

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:47 pm

Really, the tackler got pinged? Maybe the players that rush in to pummel the catcher the millisecond they land should have to consider the consequences of getting too close to a player in the air that might be adjusting their body so they don’t land on their head. Seems a fair enough request.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:54 pm

So no challenge in the air or allowed to tackle. Not sure that'll catch on.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:55 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:My ignorance of their mistake yes
Who are you, Susie Dent?

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 2:57 pm

No.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 11 Sep 2021, 6:56 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:My ignorance of their mistake yes.

No in the North we've seen the refs etc call it correctly. Saw the ref get it right here too. There's always the odd error and I'm sure the teams will be being informed they can't do it without seeing further reds.

At least they should be. Sometime you see unions putting pressure to relax the laws.

People in "the North" should be applauding and thanking New Zealand/the All Blacks for standing up to for the game of rugby and players everywhere, by using logic they have demonstrated to the Judiciary that some of the Rugby laws are flawed and do not cover every possible situation that arises in a game of Rugby union. bad laws should not be relaxed, they should be repealed or amended.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 11 Sep 2021, 8:58 pm

Ah glad you admit the law was broken here. Good to hear.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 12 Sep 2021, 8:58 am

Yes it was accidental, but I'm not really buying how "he was overbalanced" is justification for anything here. That basically means his mistiming and poor technique resulted in a boot to the face. There was no interference, no one causing him to be off balance - it was entirely of his own making.

I fully agree that rugby is currently struggling to find the balance between player welfare and ultimately accepting that it is a dangerous sport and accidents do happen, but we can't have scenarios where defending players are at risk of running face first into a boot! It was probably close to a stud connecting to an eye which could have been catastrophic, so given the potential consequence of these type of things I'm all for a hard-line approach. And ultimately better technique from JB would have prevented this - it's not like there was nothing he could have done like some accidental reds.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 12 Sep 2021, 11:07 am

https://www.606v2.com/t70371-rugby-championship-2021#3999399

Quick rugby championship thread thrown together

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down