The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker

+6
Poorfour
dummy_half
Hazel Sapling
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
10 posters

Go down

Who is the best Blindside Flanker?

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Vote_lcap60%The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 9 ]
The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Vote_lcap27%The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 4 ]
The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Vote_lcap13%The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Empty The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 13 Dec 2021, 5:18 am

1. Loose-Head Prop https://www.606v2.com/t70475-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-1-loose-head-prop
2. Hooker https://www.606v2.com/t70476-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-2-hooker
3. Tight-Head https://www.606v2.com/t70477-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-3-tight-head-prop
4/5. Locks https://www.606v2.com/t70478-the-best-3-players-in-the-world-by-position-the-world-class-45-4-5-locks

I seem to recall a good poster called Pete defining his best players in the world in each position at the end of every year and I thought I'd try and bring it back somewhat.

So, a little caveat....I've not watched as much rugby as I would have liked this year so I may be a bit off in some of my suggestions....I'm sure we can have a nice sensible discussion though, as we always do! I also may a have a slight English bias, go easy on me Welshies.

The criteria:

I'm selecting world class players......when I say world class, you have to be in the top 3 in your position. I'll possibly look to do 5 for locks/wingers due to different styles and sides.

#4/5 - Blindside flanker

Traditionally, your blindside flanker was the tough guy in the backrow. He would be a bit of a unit.....could carry, jump and smash people (I'm thinking of players like Ferris & Kaino). Of late, the lines are somewhat blurred with locks playing 6, 6 playing 8, 8 playing 6, 7 doing what he wants etc etc. I'm a bit old school so I still like my 6 to do 6 things.

Pieter Stephanus du Toit

Initially a lock, PSDT's move into the backrow was a masterstroke. He's a unit at 6'6" and 120kg, bigger than many modern day locks....and it shows with his physical dominance around the park. He's struggled a bit with injuries of late, but when SA can field him, he really takes them up an extra level. He jumps, steals and generally smashed people for 80mins....the perfect blindside!

Courtney Lawes

It's not until the last year or two that Lawes has seemingly settled permanently in the backrow. A fantastic athlete, equally comfortable at lock as he is in backrow, he is outstanding in the lineout and has recently added a dynamic carrying game to his already impressive repertoire. That he played all 3 games for the Lions recently (despite being somewhat maligned from some quaters) shows you how highly rated he is by coaches.

Pablo Matera

I struggled a bit with this 3rd choice and very nearly went with one of the outstanding youngsters Cameron Woki or Caelan Doris. In the end, I plumped for Matera, as he just has a bit more credit in the bank for me. A real blindside in the old school mold, Matera is beast around the park. He can reach levels that other players in the discussion can't (See his performance against NZ last year). I've rarely seen him matched physically, even as a youngster at Leicester....he was just amazing. He's obviously struggled off the field with things of late, but he's one hell of a flanker.

Notable mentions........Cameron Woki, Caelan Doris, Marcos Kremer, Akira Ioane.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Empty Re: The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 13 Dec 2021, 7:39 am

Can I have none of the above? Reluctantly Matera.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker Empty Re: The best 3 players in the world by position: The World Class 45 - #6 Blindside Flanker

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 13 Dec 2021, 7:51 am

Who would you go for 7.5?

It's not a stellar time for blindsides really. Over the years we've had some fantastic players like Kaino, Ferris, Dusatoir etc.....I'm not seeing any real standouts bar PSTD really.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 13 Dec 2021, 8:21 am

Don't think du Toit even played a match this year though so I discount him out of hand. My top 3 this year would be Beirne, Ritchie and Ioane.

Dont know how Woki doesn't get picked by France more though. He is going to be legendary. His time fast approaching.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 13 Dec 2021, 10:06 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Don't think du Toit even played a match this year though so I discount him out of hand. My top 3 this year would be Beirne, Ritchie and Ioane.

Dont know how Woki doesn't get picked by France more though. He is going to be legendary. His time fast approaching.

He was playing at lock vs the AB's.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 13 Dec 2021, 10:19 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Don't think du Toit even played a match this year though so I discount him out of hand. My top 3 this year would be Beirne, Ritchie and Ioane.

Fair selections for a best of the year award.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 13 Dec 2021, 10:25 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Don't think du Toit even played a match this year though so I discount him out of hand.

He played the first 2 Lions tests........

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 13 Dec 2021, 10:40 am

PSDT is probably the best BS flanker at the minute with a few uninspiring choices behind him.

Soon to be 33-year-old Lawes is probably a fair choice. Reckon this may be the final time he could be considered as he ages out.

Matera, sure, good player though his discipline (as it seems to be with a fair few Argies) is poor. Ritchie has cemented his place in a decent Scotland side and had an argument for the Lions if the style of play had been different. Beirne and Woki both play BS often but seem to be settling towards becoming locks (the reverse of Lawes). Valetini is like Ritchie a couple of years ago in starting to cement his place in a decent Australia side.

I rate Ioane but his work-rate and consistency has traditionally let him down from becoming truly dominant. Don't think you can be called World Class when struggling to cement a place in an unsettled and relatively average NZ back-row. I also prefer him as a no.8.

Hazel Sapling

Sgt_Pooly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 13 Dec 2021, 10:53 am

When fit, PSDT takes it, but the second best 6 in the world at the moment is Tom Curry - pity EJ is trying to shoe-horn his best players into a combination that weakens the team (i.e. Curry at 6 and Dombrandt at 8 would be a better combination, with Lawes either 2nd row or bench_.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 13 Dec 2021, 4:08 pm

I would have Curry or Underhill ahead of Lawes, depending on which one you view as the more natural blindside. I don't like locks at 6, especially not at international level.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 13 Dec 2021, 5:13 pm

I am assuming that Curry will be on the list at 7

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 13 Dec 2021, 5:20 pm

lostinwales wrote:I am assuming that Curry will be on the list at 7

That would be a fair assumption lol. I must admit, I see Underhill & Curry as traditional 7's.........the backrow is a bit of mess these days. Savea/Pocock would be classed as opensides but Pocock finished his career at 8 and Savea now has the NZ 8 spot. I think that's arguably more to do with lack of quality options in these positions rather than either being particularly great there....although Savea could seemingly play anywhere.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 13 Dec 2021, 7:28 pm

lostinwales wrote:I am assuming that Curry will be on the list at 7

And Richard Hill would be on the all-time list at 6, despite being a better 7... I still see 6 as Curry's best position, though he's a very good 7 when Underhill isn't fit.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Dec 2021, 12:03 pm

Agree with 7.5 - Woki and Beirne

As to non internationals....George Martin is becoming a bruising monster at 6. He will feature in the 6n....a more physical version of Lawes.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 15 Dec 2021, 9:10 am

It seemed to me Matera personally lifted the entire Argentinian team in the AB match with his his comment 'They must show some respect, I’m playing for my country'.  And he went out to prove it on the pitch.  Was truly inspirational.  

Consequently, it was incredibly disappointing (at the minimum) to hear Matera had made those moronic racial comments.  In light of that, I can't vote for him, though I do like seeing Argentina do well and he was probably playing the best 6 in the world at that point.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Wed 15 Dec 2021, 9:39 am

I would have had Josh Naividi in the mix, although he's possibly so valuable to Wales with his ability to play all across the back row as opposed to being a superstar at 6.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 16 Dec 2021, 5:17 am

chris_501 wrote:I would have had Josh Naividi in the mix, although he's possibly so valuable to Wales with his ability to play all across the back row as opposed to being a superstar at 6.
Bad hair, mate.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 16 Dec 2021, 8:14 am

chris_501 wrote:I would have had Josh Naividi in the mix, although he's possibly so valuable to Wales with his ability to play all across the back row as opposed to being a superstar at 6.

I do agree that he deserved an honourable mention, in at least one of the flanker positions. It is evident the difference he makes to Wales when he’s available. Same with Jenkins, to be fair.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down