The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spain booted out of RWC 2023

+4
LordDowlais
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Hazel Sapling
8 posters

Go down

Spain booted out of RWC 2023 Empty Spain booted out of RWC 2023

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 28 Apr 2022, 2:48 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/props-forged-passport-sees-spain-kicked-out-of-the-2023-world-cup/

Apparently a South African prop had a forged passport and came on as a replacement in two games. Romania take the place of Spain.

Not sure if this is an April Fools....

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Spain booted out of RWC 2023 Empty Re: Spain booted out of RWC 2023

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 28 Apr 2022, 2:51 pm

I want to bring up 1999 then and the rightful award of a Grand Slam please!

No 7&1/2

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Apr 2022, 4:00 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I want to bring up 1999 then and the rightful award of a Grand Slam please!

Laugh

Spain booted out of RWC 2023 6c920f10

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 28 Apr 2022, 4:25 pm

Apparently one of the games was against Netherlands and they shouldnt have even needed to play him...

Just let them go to the World Cup for gods sake.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 28 Apr 2022, 4:30 pm

Wasn't there another dodgy refereeing game to qualify for the previous WC involving Spain ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Apr 2022, 4:44 pm

Ban the player, not the team. Unless of course it was the Spain union themselves who forged the passport? In which case they should be thrown out and legal action brought against the people doing the forging!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 28 Apr 2022, 5:20 pm

The Oracle wrote:Ban the player, not the team. Unless of course it was the Spain union themselves who forged the passport?
Part of their punishment is that they have to pay a suspended fine they got last cycle for... playing an ineligible player (which cost them a place then too).

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 29 Apr 2022, 8:41 am

The Oracle wrote:Ban the player, not the team. Unless of course it was the Spain union themselves who forged the passport? In which case they should be thrown out and legal action brought against the people doing the forging!

I say it tongue in cheek (slightly) but clearly anyone playing someone who isn't eligible has got an advantage even if it's the player who has been misleading. I heard a similar case, though not exact around Saracens and their cheating the salary cap being unfair on the Saracens fans but for me you've got to think of the other fans, teams etc too. Why is it fair on them that they've had to play a team who broke the rules? I personally want to see teams punished for this, like Spain here, like Sale, which heart them in a sporting term and not just financially. Look back to West Ham cheating in the prem years ago picking players they shouldn't have been able to play. Financial slap on the wrist, Shef U relegated instead and it leads to them playing in the semi final of europe and Shef U playing bloody Boro!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 29 Apr 2022, 8:52 am

Looking in to it more...as much as i hate to see all the genuine honest Spanish players (and Coaches) missing out...apparently Spain were banned from the last world cup due to fielding an ineligible player...and there is also history with Romania, Belgium etc etc also doing so.

Seems the World Rugby needs to be getting hold of these Euro Nations and making the rules very clear.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Fri 29 Apr 2022, 12:15 pm

At least Jodi Murphy will remain IQ for the rest of his career Spain booted out of RWC 2023 1f600

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 29 Apr 2022, 1:49 pm

A complete shambles. All the hard work and celebrations down the drain.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 May 2022, 8:19 am

No sympathy, after the last balls up you'd have thought all of the officials within the Spain set up would have wanted to see player paperwork confirming eligibility. If I was a Spanish player I'd have been going round the changing room making sure everyone had brought their paperwork in.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 May 2022, 10:13 pm

Things getting very interesting on this case now. Spain citing Ireland, Scotland and NZ as examples of eligibility inconsistencies. Seems part of the Spain player’s ban revolves around how long he has ‘felt’ Spanish (!), with only 2 years of ‘feeling’ that Spain was his home and not the full 3 years needed. Odd. Apparently Bundi Aki, James Lowe and Pierre Schoeman all said similar things but have obviously been allowed to represent their adopted nations.

Shouldn’t distract from the main offence here though for me - I.e. tampering with a passport. That’s just plain fraud!

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 31 May 2022, 8:23 am

Sounds like whichever official has got involved there hasn't been briefed on how important language can be. I don't think how a person feels comes into it at all does it?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 31 May 2022, 9:42 am

Haven't they also cited Wales 1999 WC squad also that had 2 ineligible players playing in all 4 games yet only got a £10k fine.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 31 May 2022, 9:59 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Haven't they also cited Wales 1999 WC squad also that had 2 ineligible players playing in all 4 games yet only got a £10k fine.

That was over a few years and they really weren't properly punished. Wembley damn it, it was a grand slam!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2022, 8:28 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Haven't they also cited Wales 1999 WC squad also that had 2 ineligible players playing in all 4 games yet only got a £10k fine.

Perhaps because Wales were found guilty and fined £10k, so they’ve already been reprimanded Headscratch

The point Spain are making is that World Rugby (or whoever it is who are ruling on this) are using an interview with the player where he said he considered Spain his home only 2 years ago as part of the reason that he is ineligible, yet they refused to act on similar interviews with the above players. So inconsistency. Bizarre turn of events, but there you go!

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 01 Jun 2022, 9:08 am

The Oracle wrote:

Perhaps because Wales were found guilty and fined £10k, so they’ve already been reprimanded Headscratch

The point Spain are making is that World Rugby (or whoever it is who are ruling on this) are using an interview with the player where he said he considered Spain his home only 2 years ago as part of the reason that he is ineligible, yet they refused to act on similar interviews with the above players. So inconsistency. Bizarre turn of events, but there you go!

is that sufficient punishment for knowingly breaking the rules?? I dont think so.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2022, 12:59 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

is that sufficient punishment for knowingly breaking the rules?? I dont think so.

Fair enough. But they’ve (Wales) been found guilty and punished, that’s the point. You can talk about the penalty and whether it was severe enough or whether you agree with it of. Of course you can. But Spain are arguing that they are being punished when those other 3 have not. I don’t agree with Spain’s approach here. Tampering with a passport is pretty low and it seems they’re now trying to wriggle out of the ban by using other things as precedents. But for me it doesn’t excuse the passport tampering, which is the main offence here.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 27 Jun 2022, 1:49 pm

No surprise that the appeal wasn't successful (BBC):

'Spain's appeal against their disqualification from the 2023 Rugby World Cup has been dismissed.

They clinched a World Cup spot for the first time in 24 years in March, but were later stripped of their place after World Rugby deemed they used an ineligible player - Gavin van den Berg - during qualification.

It is the second successive World Cup at which Spain have lost their place, both times for the same offence.

They will be replaced by Romania.

"The Independent Appeal Committee reviewed the original decision of the Independent Judicial Committee based on the evidence that was before it," World Rugby said

"Having considered detailed submissions from the Spanish Union and World Rugby, the Independent Appeal Committee dismissed the appeal."

Spain were given a £25,000 fine and will also have to pay a £50,000 suspended fine from a previous eligibility breach made in qualifying for the 2019 World Cup.

With Romania taking Spain's place in Pool B, Portugal can now secure their place through a final qualification tournament in November.

The World Cup takes place in France from 8 September-28 October 2023.'

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Jun 2022, 2:40 pm

Well the Spanish only have themselves to Blame. They need to sort out their administration so it doesnt happen again. Did they really need to play him...?

Anyway, Romania will benefit.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down