The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conor Benn as overrated as his Dad.

+7
No name Bertie
Soul Requiem
Herman Jaeger
Mochyn du
Mr Bounce
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Go down

Conor Benn as overrated as his Dad. Empty Conor Benn as overrated as his Dad.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 06 Jun 2022, 11:19 am

Leonard after his first few fights was chucked in against a middleweight Geraldo because his camp saw the talent...Curry was chucked in with Starling and Finch...Honeyghan fought future champ Rosi and Horace Shufford...

As for Benn jr.

Avenysian who isn't world class is being ignored because he doesn't put bums on seats.. But pillow punching runner Algieri does....Let's get former junior light and perennial loser Broner out of retirement..Like Algieri he can't punch at 147

Protected fighters get protected for a reason...There is a reason Benn fought for the then crappy WBO belt against Dewitt...Toney was the reason..

Wasn't a decent Brit or Irish fighter Benn beat...

This all might be more forgivable if the kid wasn't so cocky...Moaning that a few harmless bantering Students that mocked AJ (so what) don't drive porsches.

He shouldn't drive one either...Just an average fighter cashing on his Dad's name..

Like his Dad who was overrated..He will go the same way..Cashing checks with his mouth his talent can't cash.. In fairness though McClellan did get knackered hitting Senior in his one big win..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Conor Benn as overrated as his Dad. Empty Re: Conor Benn as overrated as his Dad.

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 08 Jun 2022, 12:49 am

I think most agree with your position on Conor, Truss. I'm more interested in your take on Nigel. Is he really that overrated?

Deservedly one of the best Brits of his time, during a period which probably wasn't vintage for us, but wasn't vinegar either. Solid titlist in two divisions without ever being the best in either - but I'd say most have him pegged as such.

I think he was finished by the time Collins beat him, so I can give him a pass for those defeats to some extent - albeit the fact that the second one in particular was a blatant cash grab in which both he and his team were always going to pack it in once the going got tough does test my generosity there. Collins might well have always beaten him at 168 in any case.

But outside of that I don't see too much to knock Benn Sr over, and I think the plaudits he receives are generally in line with what his achievements merit.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Conor Benn as overrated as his Dad. Empty Re: Conor Benn as overrated as his Dad.

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 08 Jun 2022, 9:02 am

Agree with Chris here. And I feel that his swerving of Toney can be counteracted by him taking on the brutal and very dangerous McClellan. I don't think that he can ever be criticised for taking him on.

As for Conor, he's probably Euro level for now. He's far better than someone like Campbell Hatton and is exciting to watch, but it's all about hype. Any talk about World Titles is a no for at least a year, and the 2 welter champs are probably tied up for the next 18 months not fighting each other anyway. Someone like Jaron Ennis would ruin him right now. Don't know where he is in the rankings but it's probably too high. Give him a decent puncher with solid skills and we will see where he is.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 Jun 2022, 10:53 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Agree with Chris here. And I feel that his swerving of Toney can be counteracted by him taking on the brutal and very dangerous McClellan. I don't think that he can ever be criticised for taking him on.

Didn't have a choice....McClellan was King's fighter and as such became mandatory.....The WBC were owned by King back then as evidenced by them refusing to recognise Douglas after the long count because King told them not to.....Luckily common sense prevailed..

But Benn did perform admirably that night.....Quit against Collins though and his team were trying to pull him out before the tide got substantial...

But as Chisora is headlining again against Pulev in a battle of washed up losers......What do I know ??

Chuck a few chairs about and you can earn big money..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 08 Jun 2022, 6:12 pm

I don't even think there was any avoidance of Toney by Benn. Benn had already been deposed as a titlist at 160 and was moving up to 168 before Toney even won his first 160 lb title, which he of course did as an underdog against Nunn having been relatively unknown beforehand.

Could they have fought at Super-Middle? Yeah possibly, but Toney didn't get there until early 1993 which was the year Benn rematched with Eubank, and that rematch was always going to be the priority given the profile they enjoyed over here and the reception their first fight got. McClellan was only three fights later, and in the meantime Toney and Jones had been the obvious fight to make for those two across the pond.

Just one of those fights that didn't happen rather than a case of either party ducking, for me. And regardless of whether you think Benn really wanted McClellan or if he was forced into it, or even if you think he lucked out with McClellan's injury - he still dug extraordinarily deep and found a way to beat a man who was favoured by most to do a number on him, perhaps even more than Toney would have been at the time.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Fri 30 Sep 2022, 6:21 pm

U

Last edited by Mochyn du on Fri 30 Sep 2022, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Fri 30 Sep 2022, 6:21 pm

I actually think Benn senior has a better legacy than Eubank snr who for me gets given the biggest pair of rose tinted specs than any past boxer.  

Benn has a better win in McClellan than anything on Eubanks resume.  He also ought to have been given the nod in the rematch.  Eubank got more than his fair share of stinkers with the Dan Schomer fight being a sad day for boxing.  Also I don't buy that Eubank was especially gun shy after the Watson fights as even in his earlier days he had trouble finishing overmatched opponents.  Benn made the most of his talents whilst Eubank could have done more than just nurse his WBO belt through a number of stinkers.  For some reason he gets let off for that.

Not seen much of the offspring but Eubank jnr is the better of the two.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 30 Sep 2022, 7:35 pm

Multi million pound payday and never even won a British title, boxing no longer a meritocracy it seems. Must make other pros feel sick

Having said that it’s a great  fight, Benn been looking like a mini mike tyson but obviously against lesser oppo. He spars with Cash and Cash would give Eubanks a good fight wouldn’t he

Win, lose or draw, what about Benn vs Ortiz? Eddy and Oscar might not be best friends but they do talk don’t they? The pbc shouldn’t be allowed to operate imo. If you won’t work with other promoters you shouldn’t be allowed to operate in the sport of boxing, period. But what can you do?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 04 Oct 2022, 1:46 pm

Not saying the outcome’s going to be the same but this is like Yarde and Kovalev they haven’t really progressed him, this is a big step up

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Oct 2022, 2:03 pm

They know its a step up...Hence they want to drain him.

Hearn really is a piece of work....Sold out to Saudi head choppers and now happy to put Jr at risk..

I remember Duk koo Kim...Draining heavily before Mancini.

Like that Ladbaby couple singing for Charity and voting Conservative to keep the millions they made as a result from it.. Hearn baby really is a bit of a fake...

But you can fool most of the People most of the time.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 04 Oct 2022, 2:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They know its a step up...Hence they want to  drain him.

Hearn really is a piece of work....Sold out to Saudi head choppers and now happy to put Jr at risk..

Like that Ladbaby couple singing for Charity and voting Conservative to keep the  millions they made as a result from it.. Hearn baby really is a bit of a fake...

Hearn's job is to make fights for his boxers and he's done that, Sauerland is Eubanks promoter.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Oct 2022, 2:12 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They know its a step up...Hence they want to  drain him.

Like that Ladbaby couple singing for Charity and voting Conservative to keep the  millions they made as a result from it.. Hearn baby really is a bit of a fake...

Hearn's job is to make fights for his boxers and he's done that, Sauerland is Eubanks promoter.

Such things as integrity and common sense don't matter then.

Eubank Sr can see the danger others including Hearn see pound signs.

It wasn't Sauerland that asked for 157 was it ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 04 Oct 2022, 2:28 pm

Hearn is a promoter, he proposes a fight and it's then down to the other side to accept or reject that offer, they accepted so it is their responsibility to ensure their fighter is capable of safely boxing.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 04 Oct 2022, 3:59 pm

I saw earlier on I think it was Kerry Kayes saying second weigh in should be an hour before fight, because if weigh in in morning of fight that gives fighter all day to put plenty of weight back on. I don’t see Eubank being dehydrated at all

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Oct 2022, 4:19 pm

Your body has suffered the effects of draining to a weight it isn't accustomed to making anymore. Il

Oscar v Manny.

Curry v Honeyghan..

You don't just click a switch.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 04 Oct 2022, 4:23 pm

If he’s drained and Benn gets hold of him, you’re quite right Truss, it could be lights out

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 04 Oct 2022, 4:54 pm

It’s fascinating because Benn’s got one punch ko power and Eubank one of the best chins in boxing, so it’s a real good gauge as to what kind of power he’s really got

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 04 Oct 2022, 5:49 pm

Dropping down in weight shouldn't make one more at risk to brain damage unless something else is at play - maybe the brain which is a wet organ might also get somewhat dehydrated or be in some other way out of chemical balance. When punched the brain bounces around the inside of the skull - which can cause a loss of unconsciousness and / or brain bleeds.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 04 Oct 2022, 7:52 pm

No name Bertie wrote:Dropping down in weight shouldn't make one more at risk to brain damage unless something else is at play - maybe the brain which is a wet organ might also get somewhat dehydrated or be in some other way out of chemical balance.  When punched the brain bounces around the inside of the skull - which can cause a loss of unconsciousness and / or brain bleeds.

Kind of answered why dropping down in weight rapidly as boxers do can cause brain damage. A quick reduction in body weight causes a decrease in shock absorbing brain fluid.

Soul Requiem

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 04 Oct 2022, 8:59 pm

I'm not sure that singling out Hearn as a bit of an money-above-all-costs promoter is news Truss. Look back over history and you'll find that King, Warren, Arum, Haymon, DiBella, Duff, Sauerland etc etc are all squeaky clean and have never made a questionable deal in their lives.

One thing they all have in common though is that they aren't exactly short of a bit of spare cash. Business is a funny old game, eh?

I am mildly intrigued by the "fight", especially as Benn's either going to get beaten up by a bigger, more experienced opponent (with added needle) or is going to spark him out. That aspect is fascinating. Personally I think it's a made-up beef between the 2. Maybe Nigel and Chris will have a face-off in the ring for old times' sake.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 05 Oct 2022, 12:04 pm

It's being reported Benn has failed a drugs test????

Clomifene, a medication used to treat infertility in Women (which can increase testosterone in men apparently).

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 05 Oct 2022, 1:24 pm

Still free to fight by all accounts.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Wed 05 Oct 2022, 1:49 pm

I sympathise. I was addicted to my wife's hormone replacement pills and intergendered medical conditions should not be mocked or belittled.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Wed 05 Oct 2022, 2:24 pm

Hearing it is off, or that the BBBC have said it can't go ahead.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 05 Oct 2022, 4:41 pm

I know boxers aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed, but to sign up to VADA testing whilst (allegedly) taking something is monumentally stupid.

Someone on their staff is obviously reckoning they can mask it off and has come a cropper. Still, hopefully it means that this fight will now not need to happen. It was intriguing but nothing more, and there was no real beef between them - just "my Dad beat your Dad".

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 05 Oct 2022, 5:12 pm

Read a nice line on twitter.

And the new IVF champion of the world.......

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 05 Oct 2022, 9:49 pm

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 06 Oct 2022, 8:25 am

Looks like the Luxemburg board are gonna step in and sanction it. Absolute joke if it happens but hey that's boxing.

On a side note is it just me or is Benn's neck MASSIVE, like not just big or thick but HUUUUUGE

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 06 Oct 2022, 8:41 am

Carl Frampton was on the radio yesterday saying there was no way this fight wouldn't go ahead now as they'll make even more money.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 06 Oct 2022, 8:47 am

Loosen the rehydration clause

Why not?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 06 Oct 2022, 8:55 am

Derbymanc wrote:Looks like the Luxemburg board are gonna step in and sanction it. Absolute joke if it happens but hey that's boxing.

On a side note is it just me or is Benn's neck MASSIVE, like not just big or thick but HUUUUUGE

I think it's that one pic to be fair Derby, he like his is dad is ripped however.

If the failed test is confirmed by the B sample, lifetime ban, no exceptions . Going down the Luxembourg is not something I agree with at all.

Soul Requiem

Derbymanc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Oct 2022, 10:34 am

Just to clear something up that those money grabbing mercenaries Hearn and Sauerland won't and haven't....(Disappointed in Sauerland as Eubank Jr Manager especially)..

Being in bodybuilding 30 years and being on occasion naughty myself especially as a teenager...What Benn has tested positive for is known as a Sarm...Bodybuilders can't cycle indefinitely and the worry is when they come off cycle  their test will hit a low and their rocks won't function resulting in other symptoms like loss of energy and muscle....Sarms do help keep gains and muscle before you start again...

Never took one myself as I was half decent genetically and only needed a small amount of Test Cyp......

For Sauerland to say it didn't help Benn seems to show how much he prefers cash to his fighter...

As for Hearn.....Well Miller took substances to raise test and he wanted him kicked out for life......As with the head chopping Saudi stuff..

Really says all you need to know about the integrity-less plonk.

TRUSSMAN66

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 06 Oct 2022, 10:46 am

So they keep the gonads producing testosterone after a blast, is that right Truss, as well as blocking estrogen receptors?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Oct 2022, 10:53 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:So they keep the gonads producing testosterone after a blast, is that right Truss, as well as blocking estrogen receptors?

Professional bodybuilders before they found insulin and GH used Sarms a plenty to counter gynaecomastia which is a condition that gives you breasts like a woman.....Franco Columbo had it when he won the Olympia in 1981 (Worst decision ever)...Can be used for fat loss also..

But they work and they do give you an advantage........Sauerland isn't helping his fighter saying they don't.

But I'm not calling Benn a cheat.....No Sirree...Could have been an accident !! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Herman Jaeger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Oct 2022, 2:01 pm

I'm guessing if it goes ahead the spin will be that VADA testing isn't the BBB of C's choice of testing and the results of the B sample haven't come in..

1. Hearn has stated that Vada testing is the best in the business and Benn signed up for it.

2. Has anybody ever heard of a B sample that didn't have the same results as the A.....It's the same urine after all..

This fight goes ahead then everybody should cheat and get Luxembourg to sanction..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 06 Oct 2022, 2:05 pm

Talksport played out audio from Connor Benn where he basically says he isn't a cheat etc & he has personally spoken to Eubank jr to go through things etc. Talksport then chat to Eubank jr who denies that any conversation has taken place since the news broke.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Oct 2022, 2:14 pm

Oakdene wrote:Talksport played out audio from Connor Benn where he basically says he isn't a cheat etc & he has personally spoken to Eubank jr to go through things etc. Talksport then chat to Eubank jr who denies that any conversation has taken place since the news broke.

Let's cut Benn some slack....Armstrong, Ben Johnson and Miller took banned substances and were guilty of doping.....Benn has just taken a banned substance and had an "Adverse" result drumroll

TRUSSMAN66

Oakdene likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 06 Oct 2022, 3:04 pm

Fascinating insight to what using this PED
actually means Truss. It's intriguing to find out in more detail what these drugs can do.

That said, this is another awful example of corrupt promotions, promoters who give no thought to anyone but their wallet linings and no thought to the safety of either fighter. And despite the best efforts of the BBBC, said promoters stick 2 fingers up at them and basically say "someone else will ok the fight".

Failed a drugs test? No problem if there's cash involved. It's Canelo's tainted beef all over again. There's a huge amount of monetary value, so we'll just brush it under the carpet. And it's not even a relevant fight.

Not sure I really care about boxing anymore.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Oct 2022, 5:47 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Fascinating insight to what using this PED
actually means Truss. It's intriguing to find out in more detail what these drugs can do.

That said, this is another awful example of corrupt promotions, promoters who give no thought to anyone but their wallet linings and no thought to the safety of either fighter. And despite the best efforts of the BBBC, said promoters stick 2 fingers up at them and basically say "someone else will ok the fight".

Failed a drugs test? No problem if there's cash involved. It's Canelo's tainted beef all over again. There's a huge amount of monetary value, so we'll just brush it under the carpet. And it's not even a relevant fight.

Not sure I really care about boxing anymore.

It's off apparently....Well done to the BBBC for not capitulating from lawyer talk...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 06 Oct 2022, 8:45 pm

Well played to them. But it all still stinks.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 08 Oct 2022, 7:27 am

If somebody’d been giving him something behind his back, imagine how livid he’d be with his team right now

4 year ban, 2 years if he owns it and apologises to the fans?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 12 Oct 2022, 5:09 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:If somebody’d been giving him something behind his back, imagine how livid he’d be with his team right now

4 year ban, 2 years if he owns it and apologises to the fans?

No one has given him anything behind his back.....You need to take Peds for weeks to get a reaction.....Why they call them cycles....They have to get in to your system...Bit like creatine...

He isn't getting banned...Hearn runs Boxing. BBBC only stopped the fight when the Mail ran the story...

Thing about the Sarm he was guilty of is that it isn't something you'd use unless you were trying to keep results from other meds in my opinion anyway...

Certainly seen a lot of improvement in Benn both physically and powerfully since some journeyman decked him aplenty....

As for steroids well I'd only consider a sarm if I was on a decent size dose.....If you are just taking a starting dose 250cc like most bodybuilders do when they first consume then I don't see the need for a sarm....As steroids are part of the law of diminishing returns generally takers up the dose..

Makes you wonder if it wasn't the first time ??....Who is to say.

TRUSSMAN66

Herman Jaeger and Derek Smalls like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 27 Oct 2022, 8:28 am

Been surrenders his BBBC licence, with a statement to be made within the next 48 hours.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down