The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prem Round 5

+8
Geordie
king_carlos
Cumbrian
mikey_dragon
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
Duty281
Heaf
12 posters

Go down

Prem Round 5 Empty Prem Round 5

Post by Heaf Fri 7 Oct - 20:02

Wow - Bristol being allowed to throw in massively crooked and not a hint of a call from the officials ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Prem Round 5 Empty Re: Prem Round 5

Post by Heaf Fri 7 Oct - 20:04

Careless by Genge there

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 7 Oct - 20:04

I think Genge is quite fortunate it's only yellow.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 7 Oct - 20:05

Bristol certainly getting the rub of the green so far ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 7 Oct - 20:16

Nice finish

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 7 Oct - 20:55

Heaf wrote:Bristol certainly getting the rub of the green so far ...

I dunno looked like they were robbed before halftime. Don't know how that last scrum wasn't a penalty and how no one had a second look at the Maunder knock on at the back of the scrum.

I though Ridley got the Genge decision spot on personally. It's head contact but he's bent at the waist and it's in the act of wrapping the arms he makes contact with the head. Would have been a harsh red, it's not the type of clear out World Rugby were trying to get rid of with their directives. Had he tucked the arm and made contact to the head with the shoulder it would have been a very different story.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 7 Oct - 21:19

Strange game, at least to me. Exeter clearly better, but in the first half, they seemed pretty close. Exeter taking their chances for sure. The LCD try just puts a cherry on it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 7 Oct - 21:20

Tshiunza looking like he’s ready for a Wales recall. I’d put him at 6 for us, but I don’t rate Lydiate unlike our coach. Perhaps next year for Daf Jenkins.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 7 Oct - 21:24

Cracking intercept from LCD!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 7 Oct - 21:33

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Heaf wrote:Bristol certainly getting the rub of the green so far ...

I dunno looked like they were robbed before halftime. Don't know how that last scrum wasn't a penalty and how no one had a second look at the Maunder knock on at the back of the scrum.

I though Ridley got the Genge decision spot on personally. It's head contact but he's bent at the waist and it's in the act of wrapping the arms he makes contact with the head. Would have been a harsh red, it's not the type of clear out World Rugby were trying to get rid of with their directives. Had he tucked the arm and made contact to the head with the shoulder it would have been a very different story.

Maybe but I made the comment about 15 mins in ....

Heaf

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 7 Oct - 21:34

If you pick the ball up with your foot in touch isn't that in touch?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 7 Oct - 21:37

mikey_dragon wrote:Tshiunza looking like he’s ready for a Wales recall. I’d put him at 6 for us, but I don’t rate Lydiate unlike our coach. Perhaps next year for Daf Jenkins.

He's certainly taken a step up this season. Still a bit raw but there's a lot to like in someone that big and mobile with a decent all round skillset. He's got a bit of everything going for him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 7 Oct - 22:12

mikey_dragon wrote:Tshiunza looking like he’s ready for a Wales recall. I’d put him at 6 for us, but I don’t rate Lydiate unlike our coach. Perhaps next year for Daf Jenkins.

He's certainly taken a step up this season. Still a bit raw but there's a lot to like in someone that big and mobile with a decent all round skillset. He's got a bit of everything going for him.

Absolutely he has. By all accounts he’s also a nice and humble guy. Could be a good captain in a few seasons.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 8 Oct - 7:07

mikey_dragon wrote:

Absolutely he has. By all accounts he’s also a nice and humble guy. Could be a good captain in a few seasons.
Lad has talent. Big upside and seems to be getting great coaching too. Was very good yesterday.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 8 Oct - 17:04

Aye looks to have everything you need to be a good international player.

Sale claiming a bonus point win at Welford Road is a superb result for them, they are starting to look like dark horses.

It has got so bad at the Rec that I even kind of wanted Bath to win, but ended up being a scrappy win fro Gloucester.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 8 Oct - 17:10

A very disappointing home loss for Tigers. To be honest I felt the score line actually flattered much of the performance.

We were beaten in contact too often. The diabolically poor tackling on Roebuck for the first try from Steward and Burns being the start of it.

The varying absence of Kelly, Porter and Scott so far this season has hit the defence very hard. Defensive organisation was exceptional last season. The forwards in fringe defence communicating with the backs and the midfield defensive alignment moving into wide channels was largely fantastic. It was a cohesive unit. With the midfield absentees thus far it hasn't been.

Then having Ford available so much the kicking game that Borthwick's game plan relies on was extremely consistent.

Sale dominated in contact in a similar way during the second half of our loss to them last season. Their forwards smashed us physically in the second half.

An issue for Tigers prior to Chessum's impressive improvements was that our locks had great depth but we lacked really high class second rows. The lineout can sometimes shake against top lock pairings, without that set-piece solidity we can then get dominated in the loose. Chessum developing into an international lock certainly helped but it is still an issue. The lineout has been very disappointing several times already this season.

I'm loathe to highlight individuals in pish team performances but Gopperth was poor yet again. I was very happy with his signing but so far, albeit in depleted midfields, he has been well below is standards at Wasps.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 8 Oct - 17:11

Away from my frustration as a Tigers fan it was great to see Quirke back fit. He played really well when he came on.

I expect JvP and Quirke to have a great battle for the England 9 shirt for years to come if they can stay fit.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 8 Oct - 17:14

Cumbrian wrote:Aye looks to have everything you need to be a good international player.

Sale claiming a bonus point win at Welford Road is a superb result for them, they are starting to look like dark horses.

It has got so bad at the Rec that I even kind of wanted Bath to win, but ended up being a scrappy win fro Gloucester.
Saw only the end of the Bath-Gloucester match. The thought occurred to me when the camera pans around the area surrounding the Rec that Bath is such a nice town that it is (almost a) shame their Rugby club is terrible. It seemed like a picture perfect autumn day and a great day to go watch some Rugby. But then they have to watch the team wearing blue...

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 9 Oct - 8:17

doctor_grey wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:Aye looks to have everything you need to be a good international player.

Saw only the end of the Bath-Gloucester match.  The thought occurred to me when the camera pans around the area surrounding the Rec that Bath is such a nice town that it is (almost a) shame their Rugby club is terrible.  It seemed like a picture perfect autumn day and a great day to go watch some Rugby.  But then they have to watch the team wearing blue...

It's a beautiful city, especially in that sort of light. We have been lucky to live here for 15 years, and even luckier to afford a house (plenty can't get on the ladder). Saying that, it has changed a lot since 2007 (and not always for the better).

In rugby term it has surprised me how poor Bath have been at capitalising on their natural assets in their recent history. I work in a school and can tell you that this area is rugby mad and has some of biggest rugby nurseries, yet the only England player that I remember Bath producing in the last decade or so is Charlie Ewels (if you were being extremely generous you might also say Zach Mercer was in their academy for a bit). I used to go down the Rec on a Monday night and watch Bath United get tonked on a regular basis.

It looks like things are starting to change though, with the likes of Ojomoh, Reid, Richards and Bailey coming through.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 9 Oct - 8:55

king_carlos wrote:A very disappointing home loss for Tigers. To be honest I felt the score line actually flattered much of the performance.

We were beaten in contact too often. The diabolically poor tackling on Roebuck for the first try from Steward and Burns being the start of it.

The varying absence of Kelly, Porter and Scott so far this season has hit the defence very hard. Defensive organisation was exceptional last season. The forwards in fringe defence communicating with the backs and the midfield defensive alignment moving into wide channels was largely fantastic. It was a cohesive unit. With the midfield absentees thus far it hasn't been.

Then having Ford available so much the kicking game that Borthwick's game plan relies on was extremely consistent.

Sale dominated in contact in a similar way during the second half of our loss to them last season. Their forwards smashed us physically in the second half.

An issue for Tigers prior to Chessum's impressive improvements was that our locks had great depth but we lacked really high class second rows. The lineout can sometimes shake against top lock pairings, without that set-piece solidity we can then get dominated in the loose. Chessum developing into an international lock certainly helped but it is still an issue. The lineout has been very disappointing several times already this season.

I'm loathe to highlight individuals in pish team performances but Gopperth was poor yet again. I was very happy with his signing but so far, albeit in depleted midfields, he has been well below is standards at Wasps.

Agree in the second row position we're in. Wells, Snyman and Green are all solid pros but aren't going to develop beyond that. I'm hoping Cam Henderson gets another shot in the first team soon as he's one that could develop past that point.

Midfield seems a huge issue currently. Gopperth looks his age and Scott is clearly not fit as he's normally dependable but looks well below par currently. Tigers missing their 9/10/12/13 all in one go is a one off excuse and doesn't explain the mess we've been so far this season.

Borthwick has a tendency to look to experience when the team is under pressure but I think we need to go the other way and start using some of the younger guys. Henderson and Cokanasiga would be straight in to the team for next week for me.

At least we've got through games against a few of the top 4 contenders done and out the way. Quins to come which probably won't go well and then it's Wasps and Bath in the league after Falcons in the cup, some games we should do better.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 15:42

Saints giving away lots of stupid penalties, although I'm not sure about the offside in front of kicker that led to one of Wasps tries, or the ball not out that gave them another 3 - would have to see the replays ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:04

OK so the No. 4 was in front of the kicker when he set off, although he was run onside well before anyone got near the catcher (and he never did), but I guess as he didn't stop and wait before being run onside it was technically a pen - see that not pinged all the time though.  The ref did shout for him to stop though, so a daft one to give away.  

For the not out, the ball was still in front of the back foot and the ref shouted no so Biggar was daft to pick it up - even though there was no Wasps player in sight to pick it up, but I think that may have been due to Robson being held down a bit too long at the previous tackle.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:24

What's the ref looking at - a 100% clearly forward pass right in front of him missed and Wasps go on to score a try ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:29

Poor Saints defence and Wasps run in another ... Saints not looking like being able to come back from this ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:29

And just as I say that they score Shocked

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:33

Wasps never all back on side there ... officials not quite so eagle-eyed with Wasps infringements ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:37

Saints woken up a bit but missed a possible 2 on 1 for a try then turned over - although not sure how a horizontal jackler isn't off their feet ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:41

Red card and PT - 14 mins to go ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 9 Oct - 16:41

Had to be a red and a penalty try. I know it is easy in retrospect, but he would have been far better to just let him walk the try in...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:43

Yep - if Saints don't win now even with some of the previous suspect officiating they'll wonder how they didn't ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 9 Oct - 16:49

Saracens have thumped us. Doh

But at least we didn't ship fifty points... Very Happy
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 16:50

Sarries are looking pretty good so far ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 9 Oct - 16:54

Well didn't expect much in this one but it wasn't a thrashing...on to the next game.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 9 Oct - 16:55

Wasps were lucky there, that throw was so squint that I'm surprised it didn't bounce over their try-line.

Think the two sevens have been superb.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 9 Oct - 16:58

What a finish to the game!!!  The league has been superb so far this season!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 17:00

Well they pulled that out of the fire ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 17:04

I had Saints by 3 so that worked out nicely Very Happy

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 9 Oct - 17:11

Who was POTM? Surely Willis?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sun 9 Oct - 17:18

What was umaga sent off for?

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 9 Oct - 17:23

Maine man wrote:What was umaga sent off for?

Tackle in the Air.

Skogun landed on his shoulder and his head whiplashed such that it hit the ground pretty hard.
Umaga was reckless and the decision was a correct one

geoff999rugby

Maine man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 9 Oct - 21:12

geoff999rugby wrote:
Maine man wrote:What was umaga sent off for?

Tackle in the Air.

Skogun landed on his shoulder and his head whiplashed such that it hit the ground pretty hard.
Umaga was reckless and the decision was a correct one

Agreed, reckless and dangerous with both players feeling the effects after. Umaga would have been in no fit state to continue even if he hadn't been sent off.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 9 Oct - 21:43

I have seen sod all rugby this weekend for 1 reason or another but have just seen the stupid monologue of Dallaglio on why Wasps shouldn't be punished as they're they're name. BT should be well rid of that fool.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 9 Oct - 22:36

If the line from a Wasps director on BT is that there should be one rule for Wasps and one rule for Worcester because Wasps are Wasps then frankly I don't feel too optimistic about an imminent rescue package at the Ricoh.

Or Dallagio isn't the brightest tool in the box...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 10 Oct - 8:22

king_carlos wrote:If the line from a Wasps director on BT is that there should be one rule for Wasps and one rule for Worcester because Wasps are Wasps then frankly I don't feel too optimistic about an imminent rescue package at the Ricoh.

Or Dallagio isn't the brightest tool in the box...

I think you have it right there.

I find it hard to get to wound up with Dallagio, he's just a bit of a prat. Some of the nonsense that he spouts, this is hardly surprising. I heard he backtracked at a rate of knots later in the show?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 10 Oct - 11:09

The issue with social media is that that horse has now bolted. Having not watched the show it's his initial thoughts that have created the furore. Not sure how that wasn't challenged immediately but then he talks drivel, makes up laws etc and is never challenged then either.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 10 Oct - 11:40

No 7&1/2 wrote:The issue with social media is that that horse has now bolted. Having not watched the show it's his initial thoughts that have created the furore. Not sure how that wasn't challenged immediately but then he talks drivel, makes up laws etc and is never challenged then either.

Does anyone with half a brain take social media that seriously though? People get offended/outraged/disgusted at the smallest thing on there, it's better to stay away from these topics on there as they're just full of idiots.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 10 Oct - 11:45

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:The issue with social media is that that horse has now bolted. Having not watched the show it's his initial thoughts that have created the furore. Not sure how that wasn't challenged immediately but then he talks drivel, makes up laws etc and is never challenged then either.

Does anyone with half a brain take social media that seriously though? People get offended/outraged/disgusted at the smallest thing on there, it's better to stay away from these topics on there as they're just full of idiots.

As opposed to say using this site instead? It's social media that brought this to my attention, and I don't mind personally using it for a variety of things, it is after all just another vehicle to express opinions and take in sports etc. It can get a little wild west like though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 10 Oct - 11:59

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

As opposed to say using this site instead? It's social media that brought this to my attention, and I don't mind personally using it for a variety of things, it is after all just another vehicle to express opinions and take in sports etc. It can get a little wild west like though.

I think the opinions on social media are much more extreme than on here though, there's no accountability at all. At least we have some form of moderation (which of course is excellent!).

I didn't say using social media was a bad thing, just that it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Sgt_Pooly

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 10 Oct - 22:56

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

I think the opinions on social media are much more extreme than on here though, there's no accountability at all. At least we have some form of moderation (which of course is excellent!).

I didn't say using social media was a bad thing, just that it shouldn't be taken too seriously.
If it is on the internet, it must be true.

I like Dallaglio. To me, he is like a lot of sports commentators, looking for an opportunity to create a little controversy or buzz. The over the top stuff is mildly annoying, but I am desensitised to it all at this point and don't really think about what they say too much.

On social media, the ease with which people lose their mind, forget basic politeness, and as you said, are offended, outraged, or generally pished off boggles the mind of someone born before the internet. It's an effing tool, use it as such. And people forget how much misinformation and disinformation is out there (not just Russian masarikova and the like) and they buy into anything. There is no rule that I am aware of which says one must be a d*ck in order to use social media. But some people clearly embrace it. We are lucky here, methinks.

doctor_grey

Sgt_Pooly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 11 Oct - 6:27

BT offer such a good rugby product for me. Its better than what sky offered previously a big step up from the bbc on the whole, itv and channel 4 lagging behind....but they employ Dallaglio simply because of how famous he is. He offers very little technical or tactical breakdown and makes laws up. I can understand wanting a name to help push things initially but surely his contract is up soon and they can bring someone else in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down