The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond.

+41
TAFKA The Oracle
Mr Fishpaste
glaws
BigGee
Collapse2005
Duty281
Barney McGrew did it
WELL-PAST-IT
Sharkey06
BamBam
hugehandoff
sensisball
propdavid_london
Rinsure
Cumbrian
BigTrevsbigmac
Recwatcher16
king_carlos
dummy_half
funnyExiledScot
yappysnap
Yoda
cb
Oakdene
Mr Bounce
doctor_grey
Heaf
TJ
tigertattie
Margin_Walker
geoff999rugby
majesticimperialman
Poorfour
lostinwales
Rugby Fan
mountain man
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
No 7&1/2
eirebilly_01
Sgt_Pooly
45 posters

Page 2 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next

Go down

England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond. - Page 2 Empty England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond.

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 13 Feb 2023, 6:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Continued.......

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond. - Page 2 Empty Re: England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond.

Post by Heaf Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:02 pm

Poorfour wrote:Just watched the highlights package and it confirmed something else I suspected in the stadium - Mr Doleman's refereeing was somewhat asymmetric to say the least.

He penalised England a lot early on for not rolling away (including a rather theatrical dive over a player trying to exit by the scrum half), but Italy were on the wrong side in virtually every clip. And the second Italian try had a far more blatant and deliberate obstruction - from two players - than the England one that was chalked off.

Agreed - I said at the time the officials were poor. Ref inconsistent, TMO asleep most of the time, whole lot of them went blind in the 2nd half and/or unable to distinguish between forwards and backwards ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond. - Page 2 Empty Re: England Pre 2023 6Ns and Beyond.

Post by doctor_grey Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:42 pm

Asymmetric. I like this.
Does this mean I can refer to some of my wife's decisions as asymmetric?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 4:28 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
It's a better performance than week 1 so he's likely to keep the shirt again for the next game. His fitness is an issue, we need him to last 80 mins and just manage one or two of those big trademark busts and he'll have gone a good way to securing that 8 shirt.

I don't know if his fitness is an issue - if he made the second highest metres in 66 minutes (according to the BBC) in addition to all the work he was doing off the ball (I don't have the stats, but he was involved in a lot of breakdowns) it may be that he was asked to empty the tank in the expectation of being subbed.

His fitness was an issue when he first broke into the Quins side, but now he's an 80 minute player who is regularly near the top of our tackle, carrying and breakdown stats. It may be that he needs to raise it a further notch for international rugby, but it looks more to me like he's been told to go flat out for as long as he can.

Or to put it another way: would Billy get through as much work in 80 minutes as Dombrandt is in 66?

It might well have been he's being told to empty the tank but I do wonder how long we can keep asking Chessum and Itoje to play a full 80 mins as they aren't exactly just ruck inspecting and playing guard in attack and defence.

The alternatives don't have his size to take into contact even if they are more mobile. If we can keep him on and the level maintained it would certainly help.

I don't think we're going back to Billy, we're safe from that at least. It's the lads coming back from France in the summer that will be the threat to his place.

He's an interesting one Dombrandt as he's coming up to the 10 cap mark and hasn't really produced anything close to his Quins form. He must be walking on a bit of a thin line but where exactly would we go? It's not something I've been keen on in the past, but could we see a case of getting our 3 best backrowers on the park rather than sticking with a number 8 who's not producing?

6. Ludlam/Hill
7. Willis/Underhill
8. Curry/Earl

Or any combination of the above? Curry is a good carrying option in the tight....he could go at the base when in a more defensive position....perhaps use Ludlam or Earl in attacking scenarios?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 14 Feb 2023, 7:42 am

How close is Alfie Barbeary to a return? A report last year said late January, early February.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 7:43 am

I think Dombrandt is producing, but like H-Cs I suppose it's what we're all looking for. Personally I wouldn't like to go back to a flanker at 8, still shudder thinking about that 5m vs France and Curry making a dogs dinner of it. If people aren't keen on Dombrandt we already have an actual number 8 in the wider squad in Simmonds.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 7:46 am

Not that I ever trust the citing process as it seems almost completely reliant on what the commentators and media pick out but it should be today at the latest I think for anything to come of the hands to Farrell's face. Still can't believe the TMO waved it on on Sunday.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 14 Feb 2023, 7:55 am

Rugby Fan wrote:How close is Alfie Barbeary to a return? A report last year said late January, early February.

No idea but I'd be surprised if he went from outside the squad to in. He's uncapped and not played in months. This weekend's team lists will make interesting reading.

I think Dombrandt will the go to during the 6N. We need more from him but he's slowly getting towards where we need him to be.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 14 Feb 2023, 8:05 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Not that I ever trust the citing process as it seems almost completely reliant on what the commentators and media pick out but it should be today at the latest I think for anything to come of the hands to Farrell's face. Still can't believe the TMO waved it on on Sunday.

Farrell also got his hands in the opponents face from the clips. I don't remember either of them making a fuss tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 8:07 am

TJ wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Not that I ever trust the citing process as it seems almost completely reliant on what the commentators and media pick out but it should be today at the latest I think for anything to come of the hands to Farrell's face. Still can't believe the TMO waved it on on Sunday.

Farrell also got his hands in the opponents face from the clips.  I don't remember either of them making a fuss tho

Farrell tends not to, not sure if it was around the time everyone was telling him to be less vocal as captain. I think he should have pointed it out the ref to put more pressure on him at the time.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 8:50 am

Not a huge amount of options at 8...

In no particular order
Dombrandt
Tom Willis
Callum Chick
Zac Mercer
Barbeary
Simmonds
Young London Irish lad double barreled name....Chandler something...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 14 Feb 2023, 8:58 am

Dombrandt was much better against Italy and whilst not perfect he should be 8 for Wales game. Willis definitely deserves another start at 6. Ludlam 7 so same as for me with Earl bench. Prior to start I wanted to see Earl in starting XV but hard to justify dropping last weeks back row.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 9:00 am

The majority of the team need the 6n....they are entitled to build some familiarity at the least...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 9:01 am

Whats englands fixture list between the 6n and World Cup?

EDIT
So not much time at all for any kind of squad familiarisation...

Wales v England: Principality Stadium, Cardiff. Saturday 5th August 2023. Kick-off: TBC

England v Wales: Twickenham Stadium, London. Saturday 12th August 2023. Kick-off: TBC

England v Fiji: Twickenham Stadium, London. Saturday 26th August 2023. Kick-off: TBC

Then World Cup September

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 9:37 am

So Talk Lawes and T.Curry will be available for Wales.

Hopefully not in place of Willis!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 9:44 am

Well it's a nice conundrum for Borthwick to have. Obviously I'm a huge fan of Willis, you saw at the weekend the impact he had. The only thing I was reasonably surprised at was that he wasn't used in the lineout at all and that he was subbed so early. Borthwick is supposed to be big on stats etc and his subs do appear pre planned to me, ignoring some of the performances on the pitch. That was definitely pointed out for Jones early on, perhaps Steve's influence then and now?

Big question on form then, do you drop Ludlam who has played ok, Willis who is back to France but was so good, Dombrandt and switch a flanker to 8? Or does he back some continuity and merely bring Lawes and Curry onto the bench?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 14 Feb 2023, 9:49 am

Willis put in so much work, 20 tackles etc that after 50 mins he looked shattered so assume that was reason for sub. Rather like Itoje over last year or so I thought T Curry had lost form so I wouldn't bring him in for Wales, certainly not to start. Lawes maybe for bench instead of Isiekwe.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 9:53 am

Curry is in the bracket with Itoje, so good that when he merely performs to the standards of the others it's more noticeable.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 9:54 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Well it's a nice conundrum for Borthwick to have. Obviously I'm a huge fan of Willis, you saw at the weekend the impact he had. The only thing I was reasonably surprised at was that he wasn't used in the lineout at all and that he was subbed so early. Borthwick is supposed to be big on stats etc and his subs do appear pre planned to me, ignoring some of the performances on the pitch. That was definitely pointed out for Jones early on, perhaps Steve's influence then and now?

Big question on form then, do you drop Ludlam who has played ok, Willis who is back to France but was so good, Dombrandt and switch a flanker to 8? Or does he back some continuity and merely bring Lawes and Curry onto the bench?

Id keep Willis on...tell him to empty the tank again for 50 mins, then bring Lawes or Curry on...and either switch Ludlum to 7 (for Lawes to go 6) or bring Curry on to actually play 7 and really go at Wales breakdown.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 9:58 am

You'd have to imagine it will be a similar starting side with possibly only OHC dropping out. Lawes onto the bench could be an option...would be tough to drop Earl as he's looked good.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:06 am

Charlie Morgan has dropped a point that I've not seen reported as such on Willis and Curry but being widely acknowledged. Jones didn't pick them together as he felt that it substantially weakened the lineout. Little odd to me as the lineout and maul hasn't been an area of strength anyway for a while (acknowledged publicly by Borthwick and then Jones), and the fact we looked so good with 2 flankers throughout Jones' time.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:07 am

What did OHC do wrong?

Hes had litterally zero ball.

It was the same as Lawrence zero ball then dropped...but look what he can do when he actually gets the ball ....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:07 am

Geordie wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Well it's a nice conundrum for Borthwick to have. Obviously I'm a huge fan of Willis, you saw at the weekend the impact he had. The only thing I was reasonably surprised at was that he wasn't used in the lineout at all and that he was subbed so early. Borthwick is supposed to be big on stats etc and his subs do appear pre planned to me, ignoring some of the performances on the pitch. That was definitely pointed out for Jones early on, perhaps Steve's influence then and now?

Id keep Willis on...tell him to empty the tank again for 50 mins, then bring Lawes or Curry on...and either switch Ludlum to 7 (for Lawes to go 6) or bring Curry on to actually play 7 and really go at Wales breakdown.

Or just keep Willis on for the entire game. We looked so different without him on the pitch. I really want Lawes considered as a lock.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:10 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Geordie wrote:

Or just keep Willis on for the entire game. We looked so different without him on the pitch. I really want Lawes considered as a lock.

It depends on his fitness 7.5
If hes fit enough to do it...then yes im all for that. But he might need to acclimatize to the fitness levels of the next step up.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:11 am

Geordie wrote:What did OHC do wrong?

It was the same as Lawrence zero ball then dropped...but look what he can do when he actually gets the ball ....

When does it stop being "what did he do wrong" and "what did he actually do?". 2 games in and he's added practically nothing.....this can't really go on.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:12 am

Or just keep Willis on for the entire game.

No, given pace he played on Sunday and work he did I doubt he'd last. He looked done when he was subbed.
I'd keep same team bar OHC and put Arundell on. I suspect Borthwick though will keep same starting XV.
Lawes bench assuming he's ready.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:15 am

Geordie wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Geordie wrote:

If hes fit enough to do it...then yes im all for that. But he might need to acclimatize to the fitness levels of the next step up.

Similar to the Dombrandt assumptions on fitness. I didn't see any notable dips in their performances. A tired Willis is still better than Isiekwe as a flanker.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:23 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

When does it stop being "what did he do wrong" and "what did he actually do?". 2 games in and he's added practically nothing.....this can't really go on.

What are you expecting him to do though sarge?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:25 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Geordie wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Geordie wrote:

Similar to the Dombrandt assumptions on fitness. I didn't see any notable dips in their performances. A tired Willis is still better than Isiekwe as a flanker.
But not Curry or lawes coming off the bench.

Keeps the standard incredibly high..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:26 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

But hes operated in over crowded areas...hes defended very well. Hes even roamed looking for the ball when he can.

Malins on the other hand has been operating in orchards of space. Difficult to compare.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:28 am

Well Curry (Tom that is) I'm looking forward to seeing back. Lawes, ain't an international flanker for me, would prefer to see Ludlam, Earl continue with Curry and Willis for those spots.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:33 am

Lawes though covers 2nd row and is better than Isiekwe in both positions.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:34 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Well Curry (Tom that is) I'm looking forward to seeing back. Lawes, ain't an international flanker for me, would prefer to see Ludlam, Earl continue with Curry and Willis for those spots.

Well its no secret who i would prefer at 6...but agree Ludlum has done very well and Willis, Earl and T Curry gives us some very strong options indeed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:38 am

Geordie wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

But hes operated in over crowded areas...hes defended very well. Hes even roamed looking for the ball when he can.

Malins on the other hand has been operating in orchards of space. Difficult to compare.

I don't disagree that much.....but he's done pretty much nothing. The few times he managed to get ball in hand, he's not produced anything. Harsh on the lad but true really. Why isn't he getting into the game?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:39 am

I agree mm, and I agree Geordie. If we're after a bit 6 then try Hill for me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:47 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Geordie wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

I don't disagree that much.....but he's done pretty much nothing. The few times he managed to get ball in hand, he's not produced anything. Harsh on the lad but true really. Why isn't he getting into the game?

Do you think Malins should be kept in?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:47 am

No 7&1/2 wrote: Lawes, ain't an international flanker for me,

Erm

What....I mean.....what? Lawes in an outstanding flanker, right up there with the worlds best. To suggest he's not even an International standard is utterly absurd.

I've seen some interesting takes on here over the years, that is right up there!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:49 am

Geordie wrote:

I don't like Malins as winger but at least he's producing, OHC has done nothing of note....absolutely nothing.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:50 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Erm

What....I mean.....what? Lawes in an outstanding flanker, right up there with the worlds best. To suggest he's not even an International standard is utterly absurd.

I've seen some interesting takes on here over the years, that is right up there!

When we play him the balance of the back row disappears for me. We inevitably give away so many penalties. He also pops up too much much in midfield for carrying duty (albeit that will be under instruction) whereas one of the plus points on a big 6 would be sharing the duty of carrying in the tight. Still not the most interesting take for me, once saw someone say they didn't rate Jack Willis!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:52 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Geordie wrote:

I don't like Malins as winger but at least he's producing, OHC has done nothing of note....absolutely nothing.

What do you want H-Cs to do though? Get a run in? Get a nice kick floated to him on the wing? Give a few penalities and tries away each game?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:55 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Erm

When we play him the balance of the back row disappears for me. We inevitably give away so many penalties. He also pops up too much much in midfield for carrying duty (albeit that will be under instruction) whereas one of the plus points on a big 6 would be sharing the duty of carrying in the tight. Still not the most interesting take for me, once saw someone say they didn't rate Jack Willis!

Yea, suggesting Jack Willis and his 7 caps at 26 might not be quite International class (2 good games) v Suggesting multiple Lion....England captain....almost 100 caps.....is not an international level flanker! Laugh

You win 606 today 7.5........I'll get an award made up for you. I'll just leave this here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSyqeR5PPA

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:56 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Geordie wrote:

What do you want H-Cs to do though? Get a run in? Get a nice kick floated to him on the wing? Give a few penalities and tries away each game?

Try and touch the ball would be a start...

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 10:58 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Erm

Yea, suggesting Jack Willis and his 7 caps at 26 might not be quite International class (2 good games) v Suggesting multiple Lion....England captain....almost 100 caps.....is not an international level flanker! Laugh

You win 606 today 7.5........I'll get an award made up for you. I'll just leave this here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSyqeR5PPA

It's not worked for the team. For me the combos of Curry and Underhill and Robshaw and Haskell (and I never thought I'd say that at the time), work miles better.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 14 Feb 2023, 11:00 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Geordie wrote:

What he producing? Hes scored a few tries that i could have scored to be fair...and OHC could have scored. What has he done that has exclled over OHC....and im not a huge OHC fan..id have prefered Murley on but just think OHC is getting alot of unfair stick.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 14 Feb 2023, 11:00 am

Now now ladies.
I 've always thought Lawes better in 2nd row than backrow but he is good at both.
I agree I don't think OHC has done much, maybe not getting enough chances but what he has had I can't say he's impressed.

However, all opinions within reason are valid. Guess it just depends how you see things. If we all agreed on everything this forum be pretty empty.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Feb 2023, 11:01 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Geordie wrote:

Try and touch the ball would be a start...

Well I agree that wingers are more noticeable when they get the ball, for good or bad. So far I'm seeing a newby making roughly the correct decisions and not get many chances to show what he can do as a finisher. The guy on the other wing has got a couple of nice chances and taken them, but made a few errors each game so far this 6Ns.

No 7&1/2

Geordie and lostinwales like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 11:02 am

Lawes is an outstanding International flanker......one of the best about.

I think I'll have to log off now, you've sent me over the edge, I need a lie down.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 14 Feb 2023, 11:05 am

Well Borthwick must be saying to OHC.......

"get yourself out there lad....don't worry about touching the ball, just try and pretend you're invisible for 80mins. In fact, don't even go looking for work, just stand out there on the wing with your pretty painted nails, brushing your hair out of your eyes".

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 14 Feb 2023, 11:11 am

Malins...

Looked good in his 1st couple of internationals but they were against weaker teams. Looked 'powder puff' against stronger teams that came after and got dropped.

So far this 6N he did take his tries well vs Scotland but defence wasn't all that. Vs Italy less opportunities to do his stuff but generally neither good nor bad. My expectation is vs Ireland or France is that he could end up being a liability. It is only an opinion and it can be difficult for wingers because, depending on the game, they may hardly see the ball and when they do finally get it they are very visible.

I guess when we judge players we are always comparing them against the best features of their predecessors. May turned into a good defender, not the strongest but possibly the fastest, and that meant getting into the right positions and recovering causes that seemed lost. Malins just looks weak and he's not a small guy.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 14 Feb 2023, 11:35 am

I think it's unfair on Ludlam to be moved aside straight away for Lawes. He's been given a chance to show what he can do and has not disappointed. For me he's been the best back rower over the past two games and his constant tackling and carrying (plus the distribution for the Malins try) has been a delight. He's more of a normal flanker size, being about 6ft 3, but to drop him would be a mistake I think.

He has taken his chance, as has Willis. Ben Curry was simply not physical enough (plus he missed tackles), and Earl, although playing really well in the Premiership, and putting in some excellent tackling in the time he's been on the pitch, hasn't quite replicated that form in an England shirt. For now, as they're only just coming back to fitness, I would be inclined to replace Earl and Isiekwe on the bench with Tom Curry and Lawes for now. IF they're up to International fitness that is.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 14 Feb 2023, 12:09 pm

I think Isiekwe has been underwhelming and Lawes would be a far superior alternative

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next