The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Winter of Cricket 2022/23

+15
guildfordbat
msp83
Mind the windows Tino.
compelling and rich
Oakdene
KP_fan
Jetty
VTR
king_carlos
dummy_half
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
eirebilly_01
alfie
Duty281
19 posters

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

England's Winter of Cricket 2022/23 - Page 14 Empty England's Winter of Cricket 2022/23

Post by Duty281 Tue 31 Jan 2023, 11:53 am

First topic message reminder :

The Lions are doing some Bazball v Sri Lanka A.

Sri Lanka A were bowled out for a paltry 136, Fisher with 5/34, and the Lions have already amassed 249/3 in 48 overs. Hameed, who's captain, 81 off 109, Lees 56 off 69, and Haines unbeaten with 62 from 72.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England's Winter of Cricket 2022/23 - Page 14 Empty Re: England's Winter of Cricket 2022/23

Post by dummy_half Wed 01 Mar 2023, 1:53 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Hearing reports that Adil Rashid has 10 first class hundreds, can anyone confirm?
At U19 level, he was thought of as a batting all rounder. Obviously over time, his bowling has become the main strength, but he's always been a reasonably competent if sometimes unorthodox lower middle order batsman.

Century for Malan, in a match with only one other 50 and the next highest England score being 26. Super batting from Malan to understand the situation and manage the chase effectively even as wickets went at the other end.

Surely playing himself into the World Cup squad at least.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

England's Winter of Cricket 2022/23 - Page 14 Empty Re: England's Winter of Cricket 2022/23

Post by JDizzle Wed 01 Mar 2023, 2:07 pm

My one concern with Malan potentially replacing Roy - as he isn’t displacing Bairstow or Root in the top 3 - is the similarities between him Roy in ODIs are they both bat in the top 3. Totally different styles of player, and Bairstow is at his best when someone can take the pressure off him. But I think at this point weight of runs outweighs any negatives from his different style, compared to a Roy or a Roy-lite in Salt.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Mar 2023, 2:14 pm

JDizzle wrote:My one concern with Malan potentially replacing Roy - as he isn’t displacing Bairstow or Root in the top 3 - is the similarities between him Roy in ODIs are they both bat in the top 3. Totally different styles of player, and Bairstow is at his best when someone can take the pressure off him. But I think at this point weight of runs outweighs any negatives from his different style, compared to a Roy or a Roy-lite in Salt.

It's an important little tour for Malan given his obvious weakness is spin and the CWC is in India. Whether he can avoid being tied down relatively easily by good spinners is the big question.

In Root, YJB and Buttler England have three locks in the top 6 that play spin very well though. Plus Brook emerging as another batter who smashes spin and I'd certainly look to pick at Brook at 5 with Buttler at 6. Then Mo as an option too of course who for his flaws can be a devastating hitter of spin.

I'd say there's enough quality players of spin to accommodate Malan if he's scoring runs. It's a shame Roy's form has evaporated before a CWC in India though given his playing of spin improved out of sight plus he complement YJB very well as you say.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 01 Mar 2023, 3:10 pm

Re Rashid's batting, he must hardly ever bat in any form of cricket nowadays, plus he isn't that young anymore. Think the Rashid who was a bowling allrounder has sadly gone, much like Broad in Tests. Though he did a good tailender's job today

Malan's innings must be up there in the list of best ever England ODI innings. Not that you will ever see it on such a list, or will be particularly remembered in a week, but there is no doubt that was a 10/10 performance from him

VTR

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 01 Mar 2023, 3:37 pm

VTR wrote:Re Rashid's batting, he must hardly ever bat in any form of cricket nowadays, plus he isn't that young anymore. Think the Rashid who was a bowling allrounder has sadly gone, much like Broad in Tests. Though he did a good tailender's job today

Malan's innings must be up there in the list of best ever England ODI innings. Not that you will ever see it on such a list, or will be particularly remembered in a week, but there is no doubt that was a 10/10 performance from him

It was a great example of playing the right innings for the match and the playing conditions. Obviously, Jos Buttler hitting 150 in 75 balls in a 400+ innings will be remembered for longer and be shown on the highlight reels, but it doesn't have any more of a match winning effect, and certainly doesn't show the same level of cricketing smarts as Malan today/

dummy_half

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Mar 2023, 4:14 pm

Only saw bits and pieces but clearly a brilliant knock by Malan. Next highest score being 26 says it all! Putting himself in pole position for the spare batting spot.

Bowling wise it seems there was a lot to like from the figures. It's a very patchwork batting lineup but I'd say that might be the first choice 7-11 for India so a frontline attack. With Stokes, seeming very likely to return if fit, and maybe the odd bit of Root in the right circumstances picking up the Jacks overs. All 5 bowlers seemed to go well. On paper that is a very balanced attack for Indian conditions. PP, middle overs and death are all covered. The big question is keeping them all fit given previous injuries and age. Depth and rotation will therefore be vital. Surran, Stone and Topley are good reserves in the seamers. It seems Rehan is being looked at to cover spin. Said it before but I'm a bit surprised Dawson isn't still around for that role too.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 01 Mar 2023, 6:55 pm

alfie wrote:This isn't on view down here. But text report tells me England are in a spot of trouble ? Plenty of time left but wouldn't want to lose another wicket just yet ?

Malan continues to show how useful he can be : it seems he is always thought of as a "fringe" selection - but he keeps getting decent runs when others don't...

Hope that doesn't jinx him Smile

Alfie and possibly others - in case this works for you (it may not), as well as SKY in the UK, England's games in Bangladesh are also being shown on the ECB official website if you can access that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 02 Mar 2023, 1:22 pm

Hopefully an educational ODI win for England yesterday if not a thoroughly convincing one.

Encouraging at least for the bowlers. All six economical and with somethng in the end column. 

Malan apart, concerns for the batters. No one got even a quarter of his score. Roy's dismissal was particularly dreadful and can only increase doubts about his place.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Mar 2023, 7:00 am

guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:This isn't on view down here. But text report tells me England are in a spot of trouble ? Plenty of time left but wouldn't want to lose another wicket just yet ?

Malan continues to show how useful he can be : it seems he is always thought of as a "fringe" selection - but he keeps getting decent runs when others don't...

Hope that doesn't jinx him Smile

Alfie and possibly others - in case this works for you (it may not), as well as SKY in the UK, England's games in Bangladesh are also being shown on the ECB official website if you can access that.

Hi guildford and thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it seems although I have registered OK with ECB , their stream is geoblocked. Not to worry - it is only ODI Smile

And I see this time it is Salt gone early and Roy is motoring along with 44 from 48 : England 59/1 after 13. Decent start.

alfie

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 03 Mar 2023, 7:37 am

Roy playing his once in every twenty matches decent innings, so no one knows if he's finished or not. Vince doing quite a job of being dropped from the squad

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Mar 2023, 8:32 am

Nothing like a posse lining up to boot him out of consideration to inspire Roy to a century Smile

He and Buttler doing a good job of propelling England toward an imposing total. I take it this pitch is a bit easier to bat on than the first one ?

alfie

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 8:34 am

Good on you Jason Roy - 2nd century of the year to date and England are setup nicely here at 188-3 off 34 overs

Surprised Bangladesh won the toss and fielded…
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 03 Mar 2023, 8:39 am

It's a very good innings. Obviously why they persist, the ceiling is very high and peak Roy will win you a game or two at a World Cup. Hard to tell if he is anywhere near back to his best overall, but if he is then the England batting lineup really does look strong again

VTR

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 8:56 am

alfie wrote:Nothing like a posse lining up to boot him out of consideration to inspire Roy to a century Smile

He and Buttler doing a good job of propelling England toward an imposing total. I take it this pitch is a bit easier to bat on than the first one ?

I have only seen from about the 30th over onwards Alfie, but the pitch looks pretty similar to me - plenty of turn and low bounce on offer, outfield maybe a tad quicker than the other day. Anything beyond 250 will be a tough tough chase
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:09 am

VTR wrote:It's a very good innings. Obviously why they persist, the ceiling is very high and peak Roy will win you a game or two at a World Cup . Hard to tell if he is anywhere near back to his best overall, but if he is then the England batting lineup really does look strong again

Roy is definitely giving the selectors a conumdrum - it's very much feast or famine at the moment, with his second century of the year interspersed with plenty single figure scores. Yes, the ceiling is very high, but the floor is abject and there's been little in between recently. Even if he was contributing quick 20-30 at the start would be an improvement.

Anyway, into the last 10 overs and England with a decent over, taking 13. Should nudge past 300 unless there's a flurry of wickets.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:17 am

That is an incredible caught and bowled by Mehidy to get rid of Buttler after consecutive sixes, a good knock of 76 from Jos but a shame to see him go just as he got really into gear!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:18 am

Mehedi to Buttler - dot, 6, 6, wicket. A bit of a momentum swing perhaps, as Mo isn't yet in full flight and the evidence suggests this isn't the easiest wicket to get started on.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:19 am

dummy_half wrote:
VTR wrote:It's a very good innings. Obviously why they persist, the ceiling is very high and peak Roy will win you a game or two at a World Cup . Hard to tell if he is anywhere near back to his best overall, but if he is then the England batting lineup really does look strong again

Roy is definitely giving the selectors a conumdrum - it's very much feast or famine at the moment, with his second century of the year interspersed with plenty single figure scores. Yes, the ceiling is very high, but the floor is abject and there's been little in between recently. Even if he was contributing quick 20-30 at the start would be an improvement.

Anyway, into the last 10 overs and England with a decent over, taking 13. Should nudge past 300 unless there's a flurry of wickets.

Re the "feast or famine - high ceiling" point : not a totally fair comparison , given Roy has an excellent history in white ball ; but there is at least some similarity with the way the selectors have continued to place such faith in Crawley in the Test arena. I think he has a better chance of making it to the WC than the latter has surviving to or through the Ashes ; but it does highlight why selecting teams is perhaps as much art as science...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:23 am

dummy_half wrote:

I would say, Malan is a bit feast or famine too in the ODI stuff (I think he rather funnily has either basically ducks or hundreds the last year or so) in fairness - I think it comes with the territory a bit really in this format, it's only the real world class players (ie. Joe Root, Buttler, Bairstow) who tend to consistently score runs.

Also to say personally have no issue with that in the opening role alongside Bairstow - it's kind of the role to hit 1/2 massive scores a series to basically win, or setup a win in a game, the consistency comes from elsewhere in the XI really.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:27 am

Agree regarding the difference between Roy and Crawley - one we know CAN be a match winner, but has throughout his career had somewhat up and down form, while the other is considered to have a high potential and has on a couple of occasions shown evidence of this but intersprsed with a good chunk of mediocrity.

Oh, and it looks like Mo may have found his groove...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:28 am

Couples of sixes for Mo off that Mehidy over and he's suddenly motoring at 40* (31) - 285-6 with 4 overs to go
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:28 am

Only following via text but seems to me they are going to be well over 300 which ought to be plenty. Only two of the top six got going but Moeen is apparently doing a good job as The Finisher...

Jacks might feel he missed out today ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:34 am

Malan has had 17 ODI innings and in 9 of them he has either passed fifty , been not out , or both. 4 centuries and yes , 4 ducks Smile

Still I think that displays rather more consistency than Roy in recent times.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:37 am

Incredible review!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:48 am

A couple of lusty blows from Sam Curran to end the innings for England, and a nice little cameo from him!

326-7 off 50 overs - should be a winning score that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 03 Mar 2023, 9:56 am

Good finish from England, with Mo and Surran making useful quick runs in the last few overs.

Should be plenty I'd have thought

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Mar 2023, 10:15 am

dummy_half wrote:Good finish from England, with Mo and Surran making useful quick runs in the last few overs.

Should be plenty I'd have thought

If it isn't I'd be having a word with the bowlers !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 03 Mar 2023, 10:32 am

Decent start for Sam Curran... 3/4 from 8 balls !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 11:47 am

Tamim and Shakib have a little partnership going, but the required run rate is ever increasing and England are yet to introduce Moeen or Rashid. Ah here's Moeen to bowl the 19th!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 11:57 am

Shakib given out LBW to Jacks, but overturned on review but the next over Moeen gets Tamim caught long off - good grab by Vince, that went miles in the air.

Just a case of how close Bangladesh get now you'd think
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 03 Mar 2023, 1:32 pm

Bangladesh all out for 194 with 5 overs left - wickets for Rashid and Curran mainly, and Moeen bowled nicely
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 03 Mar 2023, 3:15 pm

Didn't see it, but obviously a good win, and a very good series win because not many teams come over and beat Bangladesh.

I think I can understand Bangladesh fielding first because of the dew factor in chasing. Roy's place should be safe for the summer ODIs now, a real tit-for-tat battle between him and Malan. Some concerns for Bangladesh about their premier seamer, Mustafizur? Bowled terribly in the first game, now 0/63 in this one.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 03 Mar 2023, 4:40 pm

Fizz isn't the same bowler in ODIs since the shoulder injury, sadly. I think there are definitely questions over whether you can do what he did in his prime at that pace without injury though. He was basically bowling spin at 80mph at his peak. Alongside a fantastic yorker, bouncer and swing with the new ball.

The revolutions he was getting on his cutters was ludicrous at times. Especially when he came round the wicket so had the big angle in to right-handers then took the ball away with his cutter. Having the faster cutter that he bowled at speed then the slower one released like an offie that dipped and turned too.

The strain that puts on his shoulder though is immense. Pat Brown is a similar sort of bowler who in a way bowls fast spin as much as seam. He's having similar issues with the strain on his back.

Since the 2016 IPL where Fizz was a revelation and absolutely brilliant we have seen more and more seamers looking to get bigger revs on their slower balls. Many are doing this looking for dip rather than movement off the pitch but more and more are seeing genuine deviation from the spin too. It's a fascinating prospect given how hard playing a turning ball at pace is. There's an element of back to the future in this too given bowlers such as Sydney Barnes and Bob Appleyard were listed as seamers but both referred to themselves as spinners and actually bowled a combination of swing and fast spin.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Mar 2023, 5:23 am

Jacks not playing with a minor injury, Rehan Ahmed presented with his ODI cap - not sure about other changes at this point
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Mar 2023, 6:30 am

Roy, Salt, Malan, Vince, Curran S, Buttler, Moeen, Woakes, Ahmed, Rashid, Archer

The carded XI, albeit would be surprised if Curran does actually bat at 5!

Bangladesh won the toss again and batted first - Curran and Woakes opening and Curran has two early wickets again, with both openers gone. 21-2 after 6
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 06 Mar 2023, 7:53 am

Surprised myself by blundering into a site that lets me stream this...just in time to see some smart work from Jos Buttler and Ahmed run out Shanto for a handy 53...thumbsup

118/3 at the half way point.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 06 Mar 2023, 8:08 am

Good to see England using this dead rubber to give Rehan a bit of exposure...he has bowled six overs already - and Rashid is only now coming into the attack for this the 29th over.

0/33 for the young fellow.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 06 Mar 2023, 8:26 am

And Rashid strikes in his third over...beats the slog sweep of Mushfiqur to bowl him for 70 and leave Bangladesh at 153/4 from 33. Think they will want to up that quite a bit to set a really tough target for this free scoring England outfit.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 06 Mar 2023, 8:35 am

Mahmudullah launched Rashid for a big six...but the bowler had his revenge quickly : bamboozled him with a wrong 'un and it's 163/5...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 06 Mar 2023, 9:18 am

Shakib found useful support from Afif...but Woakes broke their stand at 49 and then Rehan struck with his very last delivery ...219/7

Rehan given a good workout ...1/62 from the full ten.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 06 Mar 2023, 9:27 am

Archer joins the party with a c&b . Shakib (60 no) running out of partners at 230/8. Three overs left.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 06 Mar 2023, 9:38 am

A drop for Vince , a catch for Roy...two in a row for Archer ...and my stream has gone silly so will leave England to chase 247 to win...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 06 Mar 2023, 12:43 pm

England really making hard work of this chase but with Buttler still in, there is hope.

On the Roy position, he did make a great century but i still think that he is well past his best. Squad player at the CWC but not a starter for me.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 06 Mar 2023, 1:16 pm

Feel that not much has been learned on the batting side this series. Roy continuing to take all or nothing to new extremes. Malan kind of similar. Vince with a classic 30 and out innings today. Moeen being generally poor.

Roy and Moeen likely not really affected by that, but there's no real case that the likes of Bairstow and Root don't walk back into the side

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 06 Mar 2023, 1:53 pm

The bowling was the bigger focus in this series given the attack is basically full strength in terms of personnel though some are working back their best. That largely went very well I thought. Jof bowled some excellent spells, Surran and Woakes looked good up top particularly, vitally Dilly and Mo bowled well.

It was good to see Rehan get a whirl today too. Predictably for a younger leggie, particularly a googly bowler, he had more loose balls than you'd want at this level but there is so much talent there. Coming in behind Dilly realistically shows where his white ball batting currently is though.

After that the next focus was an opening partner for YJB. Two very good centuries from Roy and Malan will keep them as the most likely options with neither jumping to the front. Not ideal but the batting at full strength has such quality and depth that it's not much of a concern for me at this stage.

1.YJB 2.Roy/Malan 3.Root 4.Stokes 5.Brook 6.Buttler 7.Mo 8.Woakes/Surran 9.Rashid 10.Jof 11.Wood

Before the series I mused that was the likely makeup we're heading towards for the CWC. I'd think the exact same now but with more confidence in the bowling unit which is no bad thing.

I hope Livingstone can get fit as he's a very useful player to add to the squad in terms of balance in Indian conditions. I also hope Stone or Mahmood can show form as a reserve quick.

king_carlos

alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 06 Mar 2023, 4:06 pm

Agree, the point I was making, but could have worded better was there were opportunities there but none really taken. Roy or Malan could have put themselves ahead for the second opener spot, but both were one very good century and nothing else. Salt also an outside chance to make a case but looks miles off the full team now. Same for Vince, who it also has to be remembered was an abject injury replacement in 2019. Even Curran today was given a rare chance to build an innings that wasn't taken. Not a disaster by any means, but nothing new learned

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 06 Mar 2023, 5:31 pm

Two comfortable wins, one for each side, but England won the close one which ultimately decided the series. And a good series win it was.

What have we learnt from the 9 ODIs this winter? Well Malan has outperformed Roy, overall, averaging 20 runs higher and scoring one more century, with pretty much the same strike rate. Is it enough to take his place in the view of the selectors? Perhaps not.

Salt has done nothing to advance his case and I think he's counted out as a result. His highest score in five innings this winter was 35, which was today's effort.

Moeen had a typical Moeen performance this winter, and I'm still not sure what he brings to the side. Average of under 25 with the bat, with one half-century (notable because it's his only one in six years or so), and an economy of over 5.5 with a bowling average around 50. Livingstone, please.

The Curran v Woakes battle is interesting. Curran has shown greater wicket-taking ability this winter, and offers the left-arm angle plus a bit extra with the bat, but is more expensive than Woakes. Rashid is still the key to everything around England's bowling and has had a top winter: 17 wickets @ 21.5. Archer and Wood we all love, but a race between Stone and Mahmood to take the back-up spot; Stone presently ahead.

Rehan Ahmed is probably a little too raw at this stage, but I wouldn't rule him out making the squad. Jacks, too, could add some x-factor and be a late bolter.

No more ODIs for England now until September, anyway, so it can be placed on the shelf for a while. 4 v NZ and 3 v Ireland, with the Ireland series finishing on the 26th of September (!) because the idiocy that is the Hundred has to be accommodated and given priority.

The World Cup itself will begin in October, though the start date is presently unknown, which seems a bit bizarre for a global tournament! I believe the fixture order will be released in July, just after the final qualifying event has been played.

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 06 Mar 2023, 6:02 pm

VTR wrote:Agree, the point I was making, but could have worded better was there were opportunities there but none really taken. Roy or Malan could have put themselves ahead for the second opener spot, but both were one very good century and nothing else. Salt also an outside chance to make a case but looks miles off the full team now. Same for Vince, who it also has to be remembered was an abject injury replacement in 2019. Even Curran today was given a rare chance to build an innings that wasn't taken. Not a disaster by any means, but nothing new learned
Agreed with that. Would add that seeing a ton from Malan in spinning conditions is definitely a big plus though. If the CWC was in Australia for instance I think Malan would be well ahead or even Hales being looked at. Malan's clear weakness is getting tied down too easily against quality spin though.

Whilst I don't think either of these things should be considered if there's clearly a better batting option for the CWC I do think it's worth noting that Malan isn't the best fielder or fastest runner between the wickets. In a tight battle if none of the potential openers have knocked the door down that might count against him. Particularly given the top 6 might include Bairstow, Root, Stokes and Buttler who are all very quick between the wickets. Particularly potential opening partner YJB being one of the quickest in the game.

With YJB, Root and Stokes all likely to return in September, Livingstone coming back from injury and Jacks offering a spin option I think Vince may have blown his shot there unless we see injuries.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 07 Mar 2023, 1:41 am

So a loss to finish the series - not a big deal really. I do take with a pinch of salt Buttler's claim after the match that they "wanted desperately to win the game" : they obviously didn't or Rashid wouldn't have been restricted to five overs , all after the 28th - nor would Curran have batted at five !
Not that this was a problem : with the series won the priority was of course to try a couple of options with an eye to the future. Very sensible ; and taking the opportunity to get Rehan a good bowl something it would have been mad to ignore. Though I think the Curran batting order switch a bit of an unlikely contingency plan Smile

No more ODIs for ages so where does this leave WC selections ?  Injury dependant as always I guess , just too much cricket in the meantime. But , all being fit , I imagine the following are all but sure to be in the squad :
Bairstow Roy Root Malan Brook Buttler Moeen Rashid Curran Woakes Wood Archer - and Stokes if he wishes to make himself available. Only leaves a couple of spots to be filled. The only thing this series really proved is Vince won't be one of them. But it did give Roy at least a bit of an added boost - enough I think to keep him front of mind , barring rotten home form in the summer.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 07 Mar 2023, 10:37 am

LArgely agree with the consensus here - more than anything this series, and indeed the whole winter, has been more about a couple of players playing themselves out of contention for the CWC - can't see Salt or Vince getting in unless there are several injuries.

Likely squad:
Openers - Bairstow, Roy, Malan (Hales?)
Middle order - Root, Brook, Stokes*, Buttler
Spinners: Rashid, Moeen + 1 (Livingstone if fit?)
Seamers: Surran, Woakes, Wood, Archer +1

* Stokes will unreire, I'm sure. I don't though see him as a significant contributor to the bowling line-up in Indian conditions. Likely only to bowl 3 or 4 oversper match

Biggest issue I see is a bit of a lack of death bowling - Archer obviously can do a good job there, but the other seamers are better at the start or through the middle overs.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next