The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great wins that don't get the respect they deserve !!

5 posters

Go down

Great wins that don't get the respect they deserve !! Empty Great wins that don't get the respect they deserve !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Apr 2023, 12:01 pm

Seeing Chris post about Hill on another thread reminded me of.....

Hearns W12 Hill..........Like it or not Virgil has the record number of title defences for any 175er and will be regarded as one of the greatest 175 pounders of alltime.....A past it Hearns beat a prime Hill and nobody really cares...which is the problem Tommy has always had with his victories........Beating Benitez at 154 was a great win too.....But Tommy s destined to be the guy that lost to Hagler and Leonard.

Hagler ko11 Mugabi....Mugabi lost to Thomas soon after when thumbed and got caught and stopped by Norris soon after that....But one shouldn't take anything away from marvin......Remember a cocky unbeaten 27-0 (27) Mugabi swaggering around Vegas telling everyone he was blowing Hagler away and then having his heart taken out by a guy who was just too tough....Mills Lane said Mugabi could have gotten up but he didn't want to know because Hagler had more guts...heart....and desire.....

Great win....

Whittaker W12 Nelson.......Yes Whittaker was slightly bigger but weight didn't play a factor in this fight.....Nelson for me is the greatest pressure fighter of the modern era....A guy that traded on standing over opponents doing the minimum whilst they felt the heat and punched themselves out early.......Didn't matter in this fight because he was trying to pressurise shadows.....Watching a great pressure fighter outboxed totally was a pleasure......But Whittaker stunk too often I'm afraid and his legacy suffers....wrongly.

Mayweather v Alvarez.....Completely outboxing one of the best if not the best Boxer of the last decade deserves more respect.......A bit of Jones v Hoppo syndrome here.....A clever great being too clever for another great......But has Alvarez really changed or did Hoppo ??

Credit where it's due !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Great wins that don't get the respect they deserve !! Empty Re: Great wins that don't get the respect they deserve !!

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 20 Apr 2023, 12:53 pm

Kalambay's wins over Graham and McCallum are both curiously overlooked by a lot of fans. At a time when both Graham and McCallum were undefeated and allegedly being avoided by Hagler and Hearns, Kalambay stood them both on their heads first time out.

He never really fulfilled his promise, but Chad Dawson's win over Adamek is probably underrated in hindsight, especially when you consider that nobody else had it easier with Adamek until Vitali got hold of him, all the way up at Heavyweight. For nine rounds or so, Dawson really did look like a potentially special fighter against a very respectable opponent.

Reggie Johnson is probably Roy Jones' most underappreciated win which sometimes flies under the radar. Almost every other loss on Johnson's record was contentious or at least very, very close, with a couple or them being out right robberies. Jones won every minute of every round and made him look like a rank amateur.

Also, while it wasn't quite a win, Mickey Walker holding Sharkey to a draw is a remarkable result, given the size and weight disparity and the form which Sharkey showed both before and afterwards.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Great wins that don't get the respect they deserve !! Empty Re: Great wins that don't get the respect they deserve !!

Post by No name Bertie Thu 20 Apr 2023, 5:15 pm

It used to be said that Anthony Joshua had the best resume of today's heavyweights: better than Deontay Wilder and even Tyson Fury, when AJ was unifying the belts and taking mandatories.    

Dillian Whyte was WBC number one challenger or mandatory for a long time but he never got his chance against Wilder, and so in the interim he was taking on tough fights against "avoided fighters" and past heavyweight champions, and while he was doing that it was said by some he had the second most impressive resume of the current crop of fighters.

A "few losses / questionable performances" later apparently they are both bums with a poor resume.   Teddy Atlas likes to say that AJ is over-rated and hasn't fought anyone apart from past it bums.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Thu 20 Apr 2023, 10:43 pm

Good shout with Dawson and Adamek.  I was thinking about that the other day.

Maybe not on the level of great but Mccallum's destruction of Michael Watson has been all but forgotten, which is strange given how Watson dominated Benn previously and would go on to give hell to Eubank, twice. On the wrong end, for Mccallum, I think Fabrice Tiozzo's victory over him also gets overlooked. Tiozzo was a very good boxer puncher who only lost to Virgil Hill a couple of times in about 50 fights,

At the risk of being laughed at Enzo Maccarinelli's thoroughly dominant win over Wayne Braithwaite gets zero love whatsoever from anyone except me.  Braithwaite at that stage had only lost to two great cruisers in Mormeck and Jones
and would go on to defeat Juan Pablo Hernandez who himself would go on to be IBF/Ring Magazine champion.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Apr 2023, 5:54 pm

Mochyn du wrote:Good shout with Dawson and Adamek.  I was thinking about that the other day.

Maybe not on the level of great but Mccallum's destruction of Michael Watson has been all but forgotten, which is strange given how Watson dominated Benn previously and would go on to give hell to Eubank, twice.  On the wrong end, for Mccallum, I think Fabrice Tiozzo's victory over him also gets overlooked.  Tiozzo was a very good boxer puncher who only lost to Virgil Hill a couple of times in about 50 fights,

At the risk of being laughed at Enzo Maccarinelli's thoroughly dominant win over Wayne Braithwaite gets zero love whatsoever from anyone except me.  Braithwaite at that stage had only lost to two great cruisers in Mormeck and Jones
and would go on to defeat Juan Pablo Hernandez who himself would go on to be IBF/Ring Magazine champion.

McCallum's beating of Jackson is probably his most underrated win......Jackson went on to have a great career beating Norris...Graham and other notables....

McCallum was an ugly duckling sadly.......Everybody thinks of Gomez and Lopez when thinking of the great Salvador Sanchez......But Nelson was probably his greatest win....Stopping Azumah is a helluva performance.....

We lost so many great fights when his Porsche turned over.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 28 Apr 2023, 4:27 pm

It's strange, because I've never thought of McCallum as an ugly duckling at all, Truss. Had a lovely flow when he was at his best, excellent technician who could really bang, too. But yeah, I guess you could say he was lacking that pizzazz or one outstanding factor which really stood out the way Duran, Hagler, Hearns and Leonard all had.

Agree there's a good argument to be made his win over Jackson is his best, although my personal favourite performance of his would be against Milton McCrory, or possibly Harding.

Edwin Rosario's win over Randall might be applicable here. Really good fight but often forgotten when Rosario's career is weighed up. Could be a combination of factors behind it, I guess: Randall's career hadn't hit the heights just yet, and of course he beat a washed up Rosario easily enough in a return many years later. There are also some who question the decision (I thought it was one of those classic 'Coulda gone either way' kind of deals albeit it's been a long time since I watched it) I guess.

But whichever way you scored it, it's definitely a fight which does something to dispel the idea that Rosario was just a slugger with no skills.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Sun 30 Apr 2023, 12:26 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Seeing Chris post about Hill on another thread reminded me of.....

Hearns W12 Hill..........Like it or not Virgil has the record number of title defences for any 175er and will be regarded as one of the greatest 175 pounders of alltime.....A past it Hearns beat a prime Hill and nobody really cares...which is the problem Tommy has always had with his victories........Beating Benitez at 154 was a great win too.....But Tommy s destined to be the guy that lost to Hagler and Leonard.

Hagler ko11 Mugabi....Mugabi lost to Thomas soon after when thumbed and got caught and stopped by Norris soon after that....But one shouldn't take anything away from marvin......Remember a cocky unbeaten 27-0 (27)  Mugabi swaggering around Vegas telling everyone he was blowing Hagler away and then having his heart taken out by a guy who was just too tough....Mills Lane said Mugabi could have gotten up but he didn't want to know because Hagler had more guts...heart....and desire.....

Great win....

Whittaker W12 Nelson.......Yes Whittaker was slightly bigger but weight didn't play a factor in this fight.....Nelson for me is the greatest pressure fighter of the modern era....A guy that traded on standing over opponents doing the minimum whilst they felt the heat and punched themselves out early.......Didn't matter in this fight because he was trying to pressurise shadows.....Watching a great pressure fighter outboxed totally was a pleasure......But Whittaker stunk too often I'm afraid and his legacy suffers....wrongly.

Mayweather v Alvarez.....Completely outboxing one of the best if not the best Boxer of the last decade deserves more respect.......A bit of Jones v Hoppo syndrome here.....A clever great being too clever for another great......But has Alvarez really changed or did Hoppo ??

Credit where it's due !!

Not sure if you actually can give Hagler the garlands for beating Mugabi, Truss. He was definitely on the slide or arguably coasting before he met the fighters you mentioned. He suffered from ill-discipline and really didn’t quite learn enough to defend himself properly. A fighter with Haglers ring nous should really be beating such a fighter ten times out of ten.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 May 2023, 5:18 pm

Derek Smalls wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Seeing Chris post about Hill on another thread reminded me of.....

Hagler ko11 Mugabi....Mugabi lost to Thomas soon after when thumbed and got caught and stopped by Norris soon after that....But one shouldn't take anything away from marvin......Remember a cocky unbeaten 27-0 (27)  Mugabi swaggering around Vegas telling everyone he was blowing Hagler away and then having his heart taken out by a guy who was just too tough....Mills Lane said Mugabi could have gotten up but he didn't want to know because Hagler had more guts...heart....and desire.....

Great win....

Credit where it's due !!

Not sure if you actually can give Hagler the garlands for beating Mugabi, Truss. He was definitely on the slide or arguably coasting before he met the fighters you mentioned. He suffered from ill-discipline and really didn’t quite learn enough to defend himself properly. A fighter with Haglers ring nous should really be beating such a fighter ten times out of ten.

A lot of fighters don't come back from being soiled.....Mugabi I think was one.....But we can disagree.....

Loathe to admit it because I don't like him but I thought Davey Moore would be too young and spunky for Duran......Unbeaten Davey who was highly regarded maybe did get thumbed early.....But after Laing...Benitez and Leonard too and 12 years after his first title....Credit where it is due.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 May 2023, 5:24 pm

88Chris05 wrote:It's strange, because I've never thought of McCallum as an ugly duckling at all, Truss. Had a lovely flow when he was at his best, excellent technician who could really bang, too. But yeah, I guess you could say he was lacking that pizzazz or one outstanding factor which really stood out the way Duran, Hagler, Hearns and Leonard all had.

Agree there's a good argument to be made his win over Jackson is his best, although my personal favourite performance of his would be against Milton McCrory, or possibly Harding.

Edwin Rosario's win over Randall might be applicable here. Really good fight but often forgotten when Rosario's career is weighed up.

McCallum was ugly in the fact he lacked anything really sellable and had to do everything the hard way.....Like a Zaragoza....

As for McCrory he had been blasted out in two by the Don......Limped past an aging Colin Jones twice and his reign was pretty much nobodies....So I can't agree there as he was moving up 7 pounds anyway..

Rosario pains me.........Ramirez, A still decent Davis jr, A robbery against Hector and a brilliant demolition of Bramble......A long with the picture perfect ko of Viruet means he was a top lightweight....

If only his corner had pulled him out after 8 against Chavez...........You're right Randall is a top win and maybe his best. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down