The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England prop Paul Rendall has passed away at 69

2 posters

Go down

England prop Paul Rendall has passed away at 69 Empty England prop Paul Rendall has passed away at 69

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 13 Jun 2023, 2:14 pm

Sad news. While Paul Rendall may not have grabbed the headlines, he was a core part of the England side which began rebuilding the team's reputation in the Geoff Cooke and Will Carling years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/06/13/paul-rendall-former-england-rugby-international-dies-mnd-69/

Paul Rendall, one of England’s greatest props, has did at the age of 69 a year after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease, Bracknell RFC has announced.

Nicknamed ‘The Judge’, Rendall won 28 caps for England over a seven-year stint between 1984 and his retirement just after the 1991 World Cup, where he featured in one match at the age of 37. The loosehead also enjoyed a glittering career with former Premiership side, Wasps, the club he joined in 1976.

After an England debut against Wales in the 1984 Five Nations, Rendall was selected to tour South Africa with England that summer, his inaugural outing as the judge at the players’ ‘kangaroo court’. It was a role that Rendall would continue until his retirement in 1991, a torn Achilles tendon in the week leading up to the World Cup final ruling him out of rugby’s showpiece...

...Moore, Rendall’s hooker for most if not all of the loosehead’s 28 caps, was one of the first to pay tribute to Rendall’s avuncular nature.

“Paul looked after me when I was a fledgling international, in the hard school of the front row,” Moore wrote on Twitter. “He was the best of men and a superb technician. I, and the world of rugby, will miss him greatly. “RIP The Judge.”

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

England prop Paul Rendall has passed away at 69 Empty Re: England prop Paul Rendall has passed away at 69

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 16 Jun 2023, 10:22 pm

He was a mainstay of the English front row when I first started watching rugby. Rendall/Moore/Probyn were a force to be reckoned with, a trio of proper hard men with excellent skills both at scrum time and in the loose.

The Judge was great, coming into the game late.

Cruelly taken way too soon.

Mr Bounce

doctor_grey and Maine man like this post

Back to top Go down