The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would AJ or Fury be ranked higher in history if they both retired now ???

2 posters

Go down

Would AJ or Fury be ranked higher in history if they both retired now ??? Empty Would AJ or Fury be ranked higher in history if they both retired now ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 26 Jun 2023, 1:29 pm

It's the kind of Sanchez v Pedrosa argument.......Pedrosa had a longer stint as champion but a more chequered career........Sanchez beat better fighters but had a shorter reign and unbeaten....

Josh beat a less mileage Whyte..........and has a 9-3 record in title fights.........Unifying on the way.....Can argue his defeat of Wlad was more clinical.....However has three losses and two by being outboxed...

Fury......Sneaked past a younger Klit......Drew or beat the BEST opponent either has faced in Wilder (Wlad was 40).....three times and took out Whyte more convincingly......

Personally I think Fury is already a top 20/25 Heavy and AJ isn't for me......I'd have Witherspoon higher.....

But I understand counter arguments.......Some have Pedrosa above Curry in lists by quite a way........But Laporte, Caba and Lockridge aren't Starling twice and McCrory and Eusebio didn't fight Nelson, Sanchez types while Curry unified.

But there we go..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Would AJ or Fury be ranked higher in history if they both retired now ??? Empty Re: Would AJ or Fury be ranked higher in history if they both retired now ???

Post by No name Bertie Mon 26 Jun 2023, 5:53 pm

If they both retired now then Tyson Fury would be ranked higher than AJ because Fury hasn't lost and AJ has lost three times.  

However it is difficult to assess Tyson Fury because he has only defended a world title twice:  against Wilder in Fury-Wilder III and against Dillian Whyte.  Not sure his fight against Chisora can be considered as a title defense - it was supposed to be a warm up for a March Fight against Usyk.  

What Tyson Fury did do was to dethrone two reigning champions that had held their belts for a considerable length of time.  He has won and held all  the belts but only defended one of them.  Fury has said he wants to be considered as an enigmatic maverick.  The history books will probably have him as a short lived disrupter.

ps: It is going to be interesting to see what happens with Usyk. Usyk wants either to fight Fury for the WBC belt or get Fury to be relinquished of the belt so he gets the chance to win it to add to his collection.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Would AJ or Fury be ranked higher in history if they both retired now ??? Empty Re: Would AJ or Fury be ranked higher in history if they both retired now ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 27 Jun 2023, 1:50 pm

No name Bertie wrote:If they both retired now then Tyson Fury would be ranked higher than AJ because Fury hasn't lost and AJ has lost three times.  

However it is difficult to assess Tyson Fury because he has only defended a world title twice:  against Wilder in Fury-Wilder III and against Dillian Whyte.  Not sure his fight against Chisora can be considered as a title defense..

ps: It is going to be interesting to see what happens with Usyk.   Usyk wants either to fight Fury for the WBC belt or get Fury to be relinquished of the belt so he gets the chance to win it to add to his collection.

Apart from perhaps Povetkin I'd have picked Chisora over any of AJ's defences..The 20 stone Ruiz as well....Worth reminding that Chisora came closer to beating Usyk than AJ did...

I don't rate Usyk at Heavy.....Like Spinks against a heavy handed pressure fighter he is toast.....Witherspoon would have played with him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down