The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+16
Pal Joey
guildfordbat
Galted
Oakdene
kingraf
JDizzle
Lowlandbrit
eirebilly_01
VTR
Soul Requiem
alfie
king_carlos
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
KP_fan
msp83
20 posters

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 14 Empty Rest of the World

Post by msp83 Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:So India is getting back on the field tonight, kicking off their WTC campaign. Rohit has already confirmed Jaiswal will open, and Gill drop down to 3. When all the talk of Yashasvi taking over from Pujara at 3 was going on, I felt he should open, particularly since the team views Gill as the eventual successor to Virat Kohli at 4. Going forward, I see a top 4 of Jaiswal, Abhimanyu Easwaran/Devdutt Padikkal/Rohan Kunnummal, Gill, Ruturaj Gaikwad.

Eswaran has been hard done by......Jaiswal was jumped over him
Mayank Agarwal should not be ruled out...he has batted very well in FC and has a decent test match showing also.

And don't forget the favorite boy of seniors and BCCI in KL Rahul...as soon as he is fit he will walk back into the 11
Its been tough on Easwaran. Think Mayank and KL might find it difficult to now fight their way back in. Particularly if Yashasvi has a good start to his career. KL might still make a comeback when Rohit leaves, but I hope Easwaran, Rohan and even Padikkal will make better cases for themselves.
As for Yashasvi jumping over Abhimanyu, though its tough on the latter, think is the right call. Jaiswal scored hundreds on his Ranji, Duleep and Irani trophy debuts. He's versatile and has shown adaptability as indicated by his IPL success. And, its not much noted these days, but he's a handy parttimer with the ball, he very much was for the U-19s, hope he'll get a few chances right away to work on that secondary skill of his...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 14 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:15 pm

Not detecting a great deal of interest in this one Wink

But anyway. SA reduced to 39/3 early today, despite a lone hand of 34 from skipper Brand . But Bedingham and Hamza have steadied the ship and it is currently 101/3 early in the second session. New fast bowler O'Rourke , who has six wickets in the match already , is peppering them with some lively short stuff at present ; as NZ eye a lead now out to 132 with a little trepidation. Bedingham, on 45 , does look one SA player who won't be out of place in a full strength side.
More short stuff likely as Wagner comes on at the other end...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:23 pm

Ha. Took Wagner all of four balls 😀

Bouncer , hook in air , off goes Hamza. Needed break for NZ. Makes you wonder why Wagner was held back until the 37th over...

104/4

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:50 pm

Peak Wagner. Comes on as the 6th bowler and takes a wicket with a bumper.

There were rumours he was done. Murmurs of the NZ camp feeling he'd lost a bit physically. I find his career fascinating. No seamer has ever bowled like him before. Yet he has a fractionally better average than Stuart Broad. In terms of a cricketer squeezing everything from their ability he is right up there. I'd presume that the Black Caps fancied another look at him before Oz and especially Smudge tour.

Bedingham is a proper batter though. Quality player.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:08 pm

Bedingham continues to impress. Taking on Wagner with some success , even launched him for six just then... 70no in a score of 146/4.

This stand worth 42 now and with a lead of 177 SA might be fancying their chances. Haven't been many sizeable fourth innings chases at this ground in the past...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:33 pm

Petersen has joined in the assault now and Wagner's short stuff is taking a bit of a battering... Has had a bit of luck with some mistimed shots landing safely but fortune favours the bold...

175/4 and that lead getting very threatening . The SA tail might be fragile but they've got to get at it first and at the moment they are rather needing a mistake to provide a wicket. Would be quite an achievement for SA to draw this series with their makeshift side but they have to be favourite at the moment.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:19 pm

SA women not doing as well as their men...both openers gone in 19 balls in the Test against Australia.

And both of them had already been dropped at slip before dismissals. The Old WACA bounce doing what it has done to many visitors over the years...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:41 pm

98 run stand broken by a great Phillips catch ... very timely for NZ , who are already needing a record chase at this ground if they are to win this one. (Though the pitch still looks pretty good for batting , albeit certainly turn on offer for the spinners)

207/5

Bedingham on 98...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:44 pm

...and there is the maiden century for Bedingham clapclapclap

Really has stood up when his country needed him... Might just be a match winning knock. Won't be his last thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:51 pm

But now SA lose their sixth wicket as de Swardt misses his sweep and loses his stumps...

213/6. Lead of 244 so game still in balance. Have to concentrate on India now but will keep an eye on this one.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:08 pm

Quick check back sees Bedingham gone so it's seven down...lead is 256 so NZ will feel still within reach as long as they can take care of the tail...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:24 pm

NZ great at fighting comebacks...suddenly it's 234/9 and what might have become a huge chase is looking a bit more manageable...have to go back and catch up some highlights later.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:28 pm

In fact they're all out now ...five wickets for O'Rourke in a fine debut clap

NZ need 267 to win. At least they have plenty of time...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:03 pm

Steady start NZ. 17/0 from six.

The Women's Test in Perth is all but over in the first session , I see : SA 55/8.

Safe to concentrate on India.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:59 pm

alfie wrote:The Women's Test in Perth is all but over in the first session , I see : SA 55/8.
Aus 13/3 in reply to 76. Not one for the batters there.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:06 pm

Blimey ! Hadn't looked at that one since lunch...

SA making 76 sounds like a recovery 😀

And then taking three quick wickets as well. Don't think they'll be needing four days to settle this one ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:50 pm

NZ really fought back in that last session , eh ? Kept the target from getting right away...and a very decent start at 40/1 , though they'll be gutted losing Conway right at the death.

227 more needed. Plenty of time ; but the previous best chase here is only 214 so they're in record territory to win it. Piedt will need watching ; he might need some help from von Berg though this time.

I'd call it 50/50. Maybe NZ will edge it by their experience ? Could be a tense day.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:11 am

Set up for an excellent conclusion, I see.

Would be quite an upset if South Africa's reserves could pull this off.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:46 pm

Halfway through the day it remains very much in doubt. NZ have lost Latham and Ravidra , both for about 30 , to the persistent Piedt - more through relentless pressure than special deliveries - and are 135/3 ; so basically halfway to their target.

Williamson on 63 probably needs to bat more or less through for the hosts to get this. Runs have been hard to come by , although Williamson did manage consecutive fours a few overs back , after a long dry period. But SA do also seem over reliant on Piedt to take their wickets. I think this should finish today , one way or the other ; but looking like the spectators are going to see a pretty full day to achieve the result.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:26 pm

Real old fashioned grind going on here... Williamson on to 79 and remains the key : Young just 7 from 34 balls , "hanging in". 60 overs gone , 156/3 so at this rate a new ball might yet be a player...

Moreki got one ball to leap alarmingly at Kane , but mostly not too many demons in the pitch. Just that most batsmen have found it hard to score with any fluency. Think SA need something from Von Berg.

Ha. Thought they had one then as Young was given out caught behind ...but review showed no bat so Von Berg still waiting...

103 more needed...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:15 pm

Slightly surprised skipper Brand , who did take six wickets in the first match , hasn't bowled at all. And de Swardt just now getting a go after tea...has kept his main four doing all the work. Probably feels he needs something different as they rather need to break this pair soon.

178/3 so just 89 needed . Williamson on 96 ; and if they were to get his wicket, SA would reckon they're still in this. New ball eleven overs away so the two pace men probably kept on ice until then.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:50 pm

Got stuck in the high nineties for a while ; but Williamson reached his hundred eventually. And with Young gradually into the twenties and the score at 197/3 he might almost have taken his team to a series win.

Still 70 to get , and the new ball due in three overs : so not over yet. But the home side are rather calmly grinding their way toward the target , and SA need to do something soon or you'd imagine it's going to be too late.

Question whether this will end today I guess as the run rate is so modest ? Though even as I post that Young has hammered Von Berg for four...and again next ball. Going up the gears...ten from the over and just sixty left to make...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:00 pm

NZ closing in quickly now as Young has grown in confidence and taken over the scoring. SA heads understandably dropped a bit with only 52 needed. New ball about to be taken but the signs are that this is only going one way now , barring minor miracles.
Think I can concentrate on events further north...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:34 pm

Quick check sees it's basically all over here as just 29 needed , still seven in hand. Good fight by SA in this match after the first game thrashing , but NZ just too good. Williamson 32 hundreds in 98 games - way faster than any other batsman thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:05 pm

Convenient drink break in India so get to nip back in time to see Williamson seal a 7 wicket win for NZ with an excellent 133no clapclapclap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:01 am

Superb from Williamson. Another fourth innings effort that takes his side to victory, and his 8th consecutive conversion of 50 to 100. I compared Williamson to the other three recently. Another comparison that can be made is the fourth innings, where Williamson is best. Fourth innings averages:

Williamson 57.77 average and five centuries; Kohli 45.65 average and two centuries; Smith 34.36 average (!) and no centuries; Root 41.08 average and two centuries.

New Zealand's first ever test series win over SA, but given the strength of SA it's hardly a glowing accomplishment. And just NZ's second test series win (out of nine) since winning the WTC in 2021.

The women's test also took a turn. Australia were 12/3 but made 575/9 declared!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:40 am

Stress fracture of the back again for Kyle Jamieson - out till 2025 most likely
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:05 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Stress fracture of the back again for Kyle Jamieson - out till 2025 most likely
So sad. Boult, Southee and Wagner are all fantastic bowlers in their way. Since Hadlee, the Black Caps have had two bowlers with the talent to be the best seamer in the world though. Shane Bond and Kyle Jamieson. Both plagued with injury it would seem. It's such a shame.

I love watching Jamieson bowl. Impeccable seam control from Joel Garner's height. Just strong and quick enough that he can bowl fuller than many taller bowlers can without it getting "floaty" out the hand. He's sneakily 29-years-old already. Hopefully we see his best once again.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:05 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Stress fracture of the back again for Kyle Jamieson - out till 2025 most likely
So sad. Boult, Southee and Wagner are all fantastic bowlers in their way. Since Hadlee, the Black Caps have had two bowlers with the talent to be the best seamer in the world though. Shane Bond and Kyle Jamieson. Both plagued with injury it would seem. It's such a shame.

I love watching Jamieson bowl. Impeccable seam control from Joel Garner's height. Just strong and quick enough that he can bowl fuller than many taller bowlers can without it getting "floaty" out the hand. He's sneakily 29-years-old already. Hopefully we see his best once again.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:25 pm

Rotten luck for Jamieson. Suppose all tall fast bowlers are at risk of serious injury but this is a nasty one to come back from again.

NZ had a great day otherwise. At times this second Test looked to be slipping away from them , but they found ways to come back and triumphed fairly comfortably in the end. OK , this was a below strength SA side ; but you can only beat what is in front of you - and they made sure of that. Sterner test coming against Australia.

As for the women's match : SA fans may want to look away now ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:38 am

Saddened to hear of the death today of Mike Procter. Although largely denied a Test career by South Africa's apartheid ban, he was still a magnificent all-rounder whose performances for Gloucestershire throughout the 1970s regularly thrilled spectators at the ground and those watching on tv. Indeed, his county was nicknamed ''Proctershire''. He would have also excelled in the modern era of T20s and franchise cricket. RIP.

guildfordbat

Pal Joey, alfie and king_carlos like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:46 am

Such sad news. Procter by most accounts was a lovely person as well as an all time great cricketer. His bowling stats are absurd before you add in his batting accomplishments.

As Guildford says, he'd have been invaluable in the modern game. Genuinely quick with an unusual action and a lethal yorker. Whilst he hit a long ball with the bat.

His impact on Gloucestershire was massive. The below clip says it all. 4 wickets in 5 balls. Hattrick included. Two all time great openers in Gordon Greenidge and Barry Richards removed to start it off. It's an early clip I saw courtesy of my grandfathers VHS cricket collection. His action immediately grabbed and fascinated me. It was an early moment in my burgeoning cricket obsession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVYtBU-N-8

One of the great unanswerable questions in cricket will always be what Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock and Mike Procter may have achieved as Test players over a larger sample size. Their respective career F-C records are in the group who are as good as it gets outside of Bradman. Whilst their fleeting Test careers saw similar skill. Had they played as many Tests as English and Aussie peers of the time then we may have three blokes deserving of discussion for an all time Test XI.

RIP Mike.

king_carlos

guildfordbat and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:04 am

king_carlos wrote:Such sad news. Procter by most accounts was a lovely person as well as an all time great cricketer. His bowling stats are absurd before you add in his batting accomplishments.

As Guildford says, he'd have been invaluable in the modern game. Genuinely quick with an unusual action and a lethal yorker. Whilst he hit a long ball with the bat.

His impact on Gloucestershire was massive. The below clip says it all. 4 wickets in 5 balls. Hattrick included. Two all time great openers in Gordon Greenidge and Barry Richards removed to start it off. It's an early clip I saw courtesy of my grandfathers VHS cricket collection. His action immediately grabbed and fascinated me. It was an early moment in my burgeoning cricket obsession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVYtBU-N-8

One of the great unanswerable questions in cricket will always be what Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock and Mike Procter may have achieved as Test players over a larger sample size. Their respective career F-C records are in the group who are as good as it gets outside of Bradman. Whilst their fleeting Test careers saw similar skill. Had they played as many Tests as English and Aussie peers of the time then we may have three blokes deserving of discussion for an all time Test XI.

RIP Mike.

Throw in Rice, Kirsten, Jennings, McKenzie, van der Bijl, le Roux and more than likely a few others I can't recall, could have been a great rivalry between the WI & SA in the 70s/80s but luckily the SA government put paid to that.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:32 am

Some more test cricket on Wednesday.

Ireland are taking on Afghanistan in the UAE. It'll be Ireland's eighth test, they've currently lost all seven, and their fifth in the subcontinent. Might be as many as four debutants for Ireland.

Afghanistan have also got a few debutants, but no Rashid Khan, and they're hoping Bahir Shah (FC average of 60) will come good.
Afghanistan's test record is three wins and five losses, although their last two defeats have been mammoth.

A more heavyweight match up is NZ v Aus, for a (frustrating) two test series in NZ. Southee and Williamson likely to cross 100 tests in this series, but Boult is absent (which is usual) and Jamieson is injured (also usual), while Conway is an injury doubt.

Australia will be eager to recover from their shock series draw v the WI, and are at full strength for this one, with Neser, Renshaw and Boland providing the back up for the expected starting XI. It will be Australia's last test cricket games until November.

Duty281

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:35 pm

Disappointed to see Neil Wagner has announced his retirement after being left out of the NZ squad for the Australia series. Always enjoyed watching his wholehearted efforts ...a chap who got the best out of himself most of the time and often helped his team out of difficult spots with his seemingly boundless energy ...

In truth I guess there was a very limited chance of his forcing a spot for these games - and presumably NZ wanted to look to the future so can't complain. Just would have enjoyed seeing him bouncing Steve Smith one more time Smile

alfie

guildfordbat and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:02 pm

Not sure we'll see the likes again, basically a 75- 80mph bowler who mainly bowled short but somehow caused all manner of collapses!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:22 pm

Ireland in a good position to get their first test win.

They bowled Afghanistan out for 155, Adair 5/39, and Ireland are currently 52/2 in reply.

Meanwhile, the qualification for the 2027 ODI World Cup has begun. In typical ICC style, the eight top ranked teams (excluding SA/Zim who qualify automatically as hosts*) in the ODI rankings will be going to the World Cup, but the cut-off date for this qualification has not been announced. The current rankings show that India, Australia, Pakistan, NZ, Eng, SL, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan would be those going through, with the likes of the West Indies, Scotland, Zimbabwe, Ireland and the Dutch currently on course to enter some interminable qualifier, which will probably take 124 matches to resolve.

*But Namibia, the third hosts, do not get automatic entry. Hence there may be games played in Namibia even though Namibia aren't involved in the competition.

In the test tonight, Australia's team is: 1 Steven Smith, 2 Usman Khawaja, 3 Marnus Labuschagne, 4 Cameron Green, 5 Travis Head, 6 Mitchell Marsh, 7 Alex Carey (wk), 8 Mitchell Starc, 9 Pat Cummins (capt), 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Josh Hazlewood.

This is the 8th straight test involving the trio of Cummins/Starc/Hazlewood, showing Hazlewood has turned a corner with regards to fitness.

NZ's likely team: 1 Tom Latham, 2 Will Young, 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Rachin Ravindra, 5 Daryl Mitchell, 6 Tom Blundell (wk), 7 Glenn Phillips, 8 Mitchell Santner/Scott Kuggeleijn, 9 Matt Henry, 10 Tim Southee (capt), 11 William O'Rourke.

It's apparently a very green wicket, so NZ are pondering going with all pace.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:45 am

alfie wrote:Disappointed to see Neil Wagner has announced his retirement after being left out of the NZ squad for the Australia series. Always enjoyed watching his wholehearted efforts ...a chap who got the best out of himself most of the time and often helped his team out of difficult spots with his seemingly boundless energy ...

In truth I guess there was a very limited chance of his forcing a spot for these games - and presumably NZ wanted to look to the future so can't complain. Just would have enjoyed seeing him bouncing Steve Smith one more time Smile
Such a fascinating cricketer. I may have posted it before but the below video essay on him from Jarrod Kimber is marvellous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSIRO-CT5J8

He found a way of taking wickets that no one else had to the same extent. I don't think a cricketer does that without his weird sort of pathway to the game.

Fun fact. Wagner played in the same school side as AB de Villier, Faf du Plessis and Heino Kuhn. How glad are you to have not played for a rival school...?

It does feel like the right time for him to step away. It also makes me feel dirty that such an average cricketer and very sub average human, Scott Kuggeleijn, might be about to make the NZ XI with Wagner retiring as he wasn't in contention. For those who somehow don't know the story, below is a very well written Wisden article, this one from Geoff Lemon, on the case in question. Be forewarned, it's f***ing grim.

https://wisden.com/stories/magazine/scott-kuggeleijn-selection-a-stain-on-new-zealands-good-guy-image

king_carlos

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:36 am

NZ winning the toss and fielding first on a potentially lively wicket. They're going all seam for this one.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:45 am

Maybe NZ bowled a bit too short in much of that session. Kept the lid on the scoring - but only one wicket , Smith to an excellent catch by Blundell off Henry for 31.
Khawaja has survived , without looking exactly in command. 62/1 off 27 overs ; and enough life in the pitch to suggest the next session might still be challenging for the batsmen. Fairly even.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:14 pm

Marnus didn't last too long after lunch...edge to slip saw him off for just 1 (off 27 balls ! : was a struggling innings) and Australia two down and not really going anywhere at present...71/2 now from 34 overs.
Good bowling from Kuggeleijn ; but Marnus really didn't look good.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:51 pm

Hmm. Henry back into the attack after drinks and removes Khawaja with a lovely inswinger to make it 88/3. Khawaja had been bogged down badly since lunch ...and even Green not racing away with 5 from 28 balls. Definitely bit there for these pace men so how Head copes now will be important...

...quick answer : not at all. Caught behind for one off the lively O'Rourke and it's 89/4 !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:01 pm

So up to the two all rounders Green and Marsh to rescue the innings... Off out now for a few hours so will be back to find ...250/4 or all out 185 ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:53 pm

So : 279/9 then. Hundred for Green which will be a relief to the selectors as they really want him in that number four spot. Marsh 40 , not a lot else. Will see how that rates when NZ bat , eh ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:55 pm

Green does get a 100 😲
And Aus 279-9 on what appears like a seaming pitch
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:59 pm

Hey Marnus, what are you getting at the moment?

Rest of the World - Page 14 Ghgkmg10
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:34 am

A superb knock from Green. Easily his best test innings. Came in at 65/2 and led his team to a commanding 279/9 on a difficult wicket, with uneven bounce and lots of seam movement. He went through the gears, as they say - 36 off 96 became 103 off 155. A majestic innings, should secure his spot at 4. I did have doubts about him at 4, thought it was a place or two too high, but this dispelled such doubts.

The only other one who looked likely to register a top score was Marsh, who briefly led a spirited counter attack before falling for 40.

Labuschagne's knock was painful to witness, 1 off 27, before a blessed departure. He was once the luckiest cricketer in the world, with all those drops off his batting, but now his career seems to be in decline. A test average of 60 in Dec 2022 has now decreased by 10 runs.

Is there no better wicket keeper than Carey for Australia? His test average is also in freefall (39 down to 30 in the same time span), and he's averaging under 25 for his last 17 tests. Another terrible dismissal today.

Matt Henry was easily the star of the bowling. Excellent command of his length. O'Rourke bowled well in stages, but he can be quite erratic in terms of accuracy, and it should be noted NZ conceded 22 runs in byes and wides, a lot of which was down to O'Rourke. Those 22 runs could be very crucial in the final reckoning.

Southee was very pedestrian and ineffectual. He's had a rotten start to his test year - 2 wickets for 251 runs thus far, and a lot of that bowling was against the South African reserves - and we may be seeing the beginning of the end, but hopefully he can get to 400 wickets before he retires (currently 376). Kuggeleijn was dreadful, but got a couple of soft dismissals.

279/9 puts Australia ahead on this, a strong fightback from 89/4. But a very interesting test match has been set up, and day two gets to see the heavyweights of the NZ batting order take on the superb Aussie bowling unit.

Another interesting test is Afghanistan and Ireland. Only been following the scorecard on this one. Ireland got a 108 first innings lead. Afghanistan are 134/3 in the third innings at stumps on day two, so with a lead of 26 it's well poised as they try to set Ireland a tricky chase.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:32 am

Absolute horror morning from NZ, as Aus add 104 runs to go from 279/9 to 383/10. Green finishing up unbeaten on 174.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:58 pm

Wow. Was out this morning so missed the first part of the NZ Trainwreck... But Green obviously monstered them in what must have been a demoralising last wicket stand. Wouldn't have been allowed if they'd picked Wagner 😏

But the NZ batting...oh dear. Latham cleaned up by a ripper from Starc ; but then Williamson out in farcical manner , run out after colliding with his partner halfway down the pitch...just what wasn't needed at 12/1. Followed by Ravindran slapping one straight to cover...at 13/3 chasing 375 you are in Big Trouble...

Hasn't got much better for the Kiwis either. Phillips doing his best to hold things together (50no , out of 113/6) but not getting much help apart from a good partnership with Blundell , just out for a handy 33...make that 113/7 as Kuggeleijn slaps to cow corner second ball to depart for an inglorious duck...

Some uncharacteristically daft cricket from NZ today. Going to be miles behind ...perhaps they're hoping to be sent in here again 😀

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:48 pm

Fighting stand by Phillips and the aggressive Henry , who has launched Lyon for a few sixes , took them to 160. But Phillips caught in the deep hooking for 71 , and Southee at bat pad off Lyon almost immediately after. So still twenty short of the follow on target with nine down - though unlikely Cummins would enforce it.

Anyway Henry seems to want to settle that issue quickly. Advancing to Hazlewood and ...4 6 4 .... But now he's holed out to Lyon for a pugnacious 42 so it's an Australian lead of 204...

Australia to bat again

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:05 pm

Not the best start for Australia... Smith gone to Southee, third ball of the innings : chopped on to his stumps and departs for a duck... Hasn't quite anchored down that openers spot yet...

The under pressure Marnus looks twitchy . And Khawaja has edged his second ball just short of slip so they might be glad to have that 200 run cushion.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next