The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stuart Broad retiring from cricket

5 posters

Go down

Stuart Broad retiring from cricket Empty Stuart Broad retiring from cricket

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 30 Jul 2023, 9:28 am

Know this has been discussed in the Ashes thread, but think the great man deserves his own space.

One of our greatest ever bowlers, easily our greatest ever funny/character cricketer...it's going to be incredibly weird next summer to see Anderson strap them on and Broad (likely) be in the comms box and not alongside him.
Respect that he is retiring at the peak of his powers still, he's had a fantastic summer (again) against the Aussies.

Obviously Jimmy's records and longevity will go down in the record books, but I don't think I've seen a bowler like Broad who has so many memorable spells (in an England shirt at least). Just something special when he really got those knees pumping (trademarked) and could rattle off match defining spells in 6-7 overs...obviously the highlight being that morning at Trent Bridge in 2015, but even last winter in New Zealand he was doing the same.

For me I think my favourite spell was the one in Joburg against the Saffers in 2016 - https://twitter.com/NithinWatto_185/status/1685368330834849792?s=20
Elgar, Van Zyl, Amla, De Villiers, Bavuma in a spell of 5 wickets for one run. Decent that

And the fun stuff - mainly all included here (Sure there will be an updated article soon!) - https://www.cricket365.com/player-news/stuart-broad/stuart-broad-best-trent-bridge-gabba-walk/
That presser after Sandpaper gate will always make me laugh. What a bloke.

What's your favourite spell/memory of one of England's finest?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Stuart Broad retiring from cricket Empty Re: Stuart Broad retiring from cricket

Post by sirfredperry Sun 30 Jul 2023, 10:15 am

Pre nose-break, Broady was a more-than-useful batter. I was at Lord's in 2010 to see his record stand with Trott which began with England around 100 for seven.

Match was later overshadowed by the no-ball fixing scandal, but some of Stuart's driving that day was tremendous.

Not sure there has been a bowler with so many match-winning bursts. There was some, impressive, stat about the number of times he'd taken five wickets in just the one spell.

The noise a cricket crowd makes alters according to circumstances. There was always something stirring about the crowd getting behind Broad when he was delivering one of his inspired spells.

One of England's greatest....

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 30 Jul 2023, 11:01 am

https://twitter.com/sensiblehuman96/status/1685380373381791744?s=46&t=wiyMk89KEarOmJqGyH0sCA

Broad’s best off the field moment.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 01 Aug 2023, 9:04 am

I was wondering if we should try to resurrect the old 606v2 Hall of Fame thread to allow discussion on some of the recently retired greats.

I would rate Broad as a marginal candidate - 604 wickets on its own get him into the conversation (just incredible longevity) but an average of 27.7 is a little high compared with other HoF members (not sure there's another seamer in there with an average much over 25). 3600 runs at 18 don't hurt his claim, but are probably not enough alone to swing it his way, although the 169 he made alongside Trott was extraordinary (although not quite up with Dizzy's double hundred).
What probably does help his case, other than his character, is how many match turning / winning spells he bowled - As olly and sfp allude to, he holds a record for the most 5 wickets in a single spell in Test cricket, with his best bursts being 5 for 0 in 18 balls against India and 5 for 6 off 17, both at Trent Bridge.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue 01 Aug 2023, 9:13 am

Only just seen this, it's an easy one for me, the hat trick vs India in 2011, which was also part of a spell of 5 wickets for 1 run. Easy decision because I was there to see it live, having been offered a spare ticket the day before. Confession though, I was actually considering leaving just before the hat trick because I was getting a bit bored of just watching India bat and bat whilst frying in the sun

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 01 Aug 2023, 10:18 am

A show of just how great this man is, that even in his final game he has created something completely mythically in his own mind (swapping bails being an Aussie luck thing), implemented it twice, and it's worked two times out of two, thus inevitably making it an actual thing going forward throughout club cricket.

I love Jimmy, but there's no way he's ever giving us such great content.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 02 Aug 2023, 4:06 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:A show of just how great this man is, that even in his final game he has created something completely mythically in his own mind (swapping bails being an Aussie luck thing), implemented it twice, and it's worked two times out of two, thus inevitably making it an actual thing going forward throughout club cricket.

I love Jimmy, but there's no way he's ever giving us such great content.

Pity Broad only tried this in his last game - could really have got into the batsmen's heads had he done it earlier in the season and had the same result. Could have spent the rest of the series threatening to switch the bails over :-)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down