The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Episode IV- A new hope

+7
TAFKA The Oracle
LeinsterFan4life
Galted
RiscaGame
Pete330v2
Oakdene
neilthom7
11 posters

Go down

URC Episode IV- A new hope  Empty URC Episode IV- A new hope

Post by neilthom7 Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:58 pm

Well at least for the Irish sides whose international stars make their way back this weekend.

It's round 4, the teams are gathering towards full strength again and now we really get going in the URC. That Irish derby on Friday night looks like a belting game, and also not good for my heart rate

Friday 10th November 2023

Zebre Parma v Hollywoodbets Sharks
Stadio Lanfranchi, Parma – KO 17.30 IRE & UK / 18.30 ITA / 19.30 SA
Live on: Sky Italia, Viaplay, SuperSport, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Cardiff Rugby v Vodacom Bulls
Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Live on: BBC Wales, SuperSport, Viaplay, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Ulster v Munster
Kingspan Stadium, Belfast – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Live on: BBC NI, RTÉ, Viaplay, SuperSport, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Saturday 11th November 2023

Benetton v DHL Stormers
Stadio Monigo, Treviso – KO 15.00 IRE & UK / 16.00 ITA / 17.00 SA
Live on: Sky Italia, SuperSport, Viaplay, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Ospreys v Glasgow Warriors
Swansea.com Stadium, Swansea – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA / 19.15 SA
Live on: Viaplay, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Scarlets v Emirates Lions
Parc Y Scarlets, Llanelli – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA / 19.15 SA
Live on: S4C, Viaplay, SuperSport, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Edinburgh Rugby v Connacht
Hive Stadium, Edinburgh – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA
Live on: Viaplay, TG4, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Sunday 12th November

Dragons RFC v Leinster
Rodney Parade, Newport – KO 13.15 IRE & UK / 14.15 ITA / 15.15 SA
Live on: S4C, RTÉ, Viaplay, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

URC Episode IV- A new hope  Empty Re: URC Episode IV- A new hope

Post by Oakdene Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:48 pm

Think the game against Glasgow will enable us to see where the Ospreys really are.

Hoping we can build on last weeks win against Cardiff when we host the Lions.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:43 pm

(15-9) Ethan McIlroy, Rob Baloucoune, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Tom Stewart (C), Greg McGrath, Cormac Izuchukwu, Kieran Treadwell, David McCann, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Callum Reid, Scott Wilson, Iain Henderson, Dave Ewers, John Cooney, Jake Flannery, Jude Postlethwaite.

Interesting that Henderson is on the bench and not starting. Possible debut off the bench for Wilson

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:45 am

neilthom7 wrote:(15-9) Ethan McIlroy, Rob Baloucoune, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Tom Stewart (C), Greg McGrath, Cormac Izuchukwu, Kieran Treadwell, David McCann, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Callum Reid, Scott Wilson, Iain Henderson, Dave Ewers, John Cooney, Jake Flannery, Jude Postlethwaite.

Interesting that Henderson is on the bench and not starting.  Possible debut off the bench for Wilson

Right lads, no scrums please so latch onto that ball like rugby limpets.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:44 pm

Well Dragons have gone for it, so hopefully they perform and get any kind of momentum before the derby next weekend. Despite Flanagan saying it’s not a free hit, realistically it is. Even if Leinster aren’t at full strength (they don’t have to be).

Dragons: C Evans; Dyer, S Hughes (captain), Owen, J Rosser; Reed, R Williams; R Jones, Dee, Fairbrother, Screech, Nott, Lydiate, Basham, Wainwright.

Replacements: Benjamin, Seiuli, Yendle, Lonsdale, Woodman, Blacker, Dixon, E Rosser.

Leinster: Frawley; T O'Brien, Osborne, Ngatai, J O'Brien; R Byrne, B Murphy; Boyle, D Sheehan (captain), Clarkson, J McCarthy, Jenkins, Baird, Connors, Culhane.

Replacements: Barron, P McCarthy, Ala'alatoa, Deegan, Penny, Foley, H Byrne, Russell.

Referee: Gianluca Gnecchi (Italy)

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:59 pm

Right so Ulster are playing against 16 tonight, cool

That was a penalty try you moron

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:04 pm

According to the BBC site Zebre won a game. I'll never trust mainstream media again.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:08 pm

Galted wrote:According to the BBC site Zebre won a game.  I'll never trust mainstream media again.
Watched the last 10 mins, Sharks were awful as usual. Fantastic scenes in Parma after the game though!

LeinsterFan4life

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:13 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Galted wrote:According to the BBC site Zebre won a game.  I'll never trust mainstream media again.
Watched the last 10 mins, Sharks were awful as usual. Fantastic scenes in Parma after the game though!

Yes, this puts the Ospreys good win against them last week (away from home, sort of) into context. Delighted for Zebre but does it just mean that Sharks really poor at the moment?

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:28 pm

Frank Murphy should not be refereeing in this league. He’s horrific.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:38 pm

neilthom7 wrote:Frank Murphy should not be refereeing in this league. He’s horrific.
Don't think he's got a whole lot wrong?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:47 pm

Straight shoulder to the head there off the ball. That was a definite penalty try when mcilroy went off injured. Constant offsides. Nothing wrong with Timoneys tackle that got a penalty, clear forward passes missed. But yeah other than that he has been great

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:01 pm

neilthom7 wrote:Straight shoulder to the head there off the ball. That was a definite penalty try when mcilroy went off injured. Constant offsides. Nothing wrong with Timoneys tackle that got a penalty, clear forward passes missed. But yeah other than that he has been great
Sounds like atypical rugby game these days tbh.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:14 pm

So this Wilson guy is pretty good!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:39 pm

Have to say big round of applause for Scot Wilson, think he got decent support in the scrum from Henderson and Ewers behind him, but he certainly didn't look out of place.
Considering the opening 20 minutes that's a decent win and a decent performance in the end

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:44 pm

Absolutely , really impressed with Scott Wilson some excellent carries when he came on. One for the future hopefully.
A tough win in the end hopefully McIlroy and the Munster player who got head injuries are okay they both didn’t look to sharp going off.
Doak I thought was very slow around the ruck, need to speed it up a lot.

Nearly a bit of brilliance from the line out got a try too that was nice to see quick thinking. Although in the end it was called back by the ref and not given it was good to see the quick thinking.

Not really sure why Casey felt the need to kick the ball into the crowd after his first try tbh, didn’t particularly like that.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:21 am

Well done to Zebre who notched up their first win in 29 attempts in beating the Shsrks last night.

They have definitely been improving and hsve come close a few times recently. Hopefully they can kick on from here.

The league is definitely looking competitive again this season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:22 am

Zebre have definitely been my shock of the league so far. They ran Ulster really close in game 1, they’ve done it to others since then too and now beating The Sharks. They are a team that have to be respected this year

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:31 am

I do have to call into question why Frank Murphy is refereeing Munster games.  I think it’s a bad look on the league and leaves them open for easily avoidable criticism.

To be clear I don’t think he is a deliberately biased referee, I think he’s rubbish but not biased.

However Frank is born and grew up round cork, he was part of youth set ups at Munster and went on to play for Munsters first team as well.  Given that he clearly likes rugby I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he was a Munster fan growing up either.

With all that said why would you let him referee Munster games?  If he makes controversial decisions (which he will cos he’s rubbish) the cries are immediately going to be it’s fixed or he’s cheating. The fact he’s just rubbish may be the actual reason for the calls but that isn’t how fans will see it.

He may have some unconscious bias sure but I don’t think he is consciously being biased however that will not be the perception and that is just opening the league up to questions that can be easily avoided.

The URC needs to make sure things like this are not happening, it can’t have its sporting integrity questioned.

neilthom7

Kingshu likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:33 pm

Some atmosphere there in Mini Murrayfield! Also great to see another sell out and win at home for Benetton

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:00 pm

All in all another round of good games.

Who would have had the Sharrks at the bottom of the league after 4 rounds. They have definitely got some work to do!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:42 am

neilthom7 wrote:I do have to call into question why Frank Murphy is refereeing Munster games.  I think it’s a bad look on the league and leaves them open for easily avoidable criticism.

To be clear I don’t think he is a deliberately biased referee, I think he’s rubbish but not biased.

However Frank is born and grew up round cork, he was part of youth set ups at Munster and went on to play for Munsters first team as well.  Given that he clearly likes rugby I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he was a Munster fan growing up either.

With all that said why would you let him referee Munster games?  If he makes controversial decisions (which he will cos he’s rubbish) the cries are immediately going to be it’s fixed or he’s cheating. The fact he’s just rubbish may be the actual reason for the calls but that isn’t how fans will see it. But with Frank when he refs a Connact or Munster derby game hes put in an unenviable position and will either be accused of bias or unconscious bias depending on result.

He may have some unconscious bias sure but I don’t think he is consciously being biased however that will not be the perception and that is just opening the league up to questions that can be easily avoided.

The URC needs to make sure things like this are not happening, it can’t have its sporting integrity questioned.

URC have to be given credit with Neutral refs and after the very dodgy TMOs call in Stormers V Ulster in season one went neutral TMOs as well, guess buget isnt there yet for neutral linespeople. That said I can see why the IRFU WRU etc want there own referees refing derbies, so they can get them that experience and also costs.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:41 am

Agree completely, they have done a good job getting neutral refs in for most of the games and they can have Irish refs in Irish derbies but you can’t have a Munster man, former Munster player and likely Munster fan reffing Munster that’s just not a good look.
There were 4 referees there on Friday night, just put one of them in instead and have Frank run the line. Or get another Irish ref who isn’t linked to 1 of the provinces playing that game.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:51 pm

Another weekend with regions having 4 losses out of 4. Unfortunately it looks like its going to be very difficult few tears for them.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:07 pm

Yep, all seems pretty pointless really.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:21 pm

What can I say? The more losses the better, so more people hold the WRU to account.

Disappointing to hear of the communication issues between the ARs and the referoo at Rodney Parade earlier. How was that allowed to happen for a whole half? Not a great look, even if Flanagan chose to say he could only hear Blue offences.

Lastly, Taine Basham. Very dull. Not that kind of player, so mad he decided to try and cheap shot like that.

Dragons v Ospreys, without him and Wainwright now (concussion). Wonder if we might roll Ollie Griffiths out for his rare super appearance again, before he is back on the injury pile. Sad to see after all the hype of Dragons new dawn with the takeover etc, that they’ll probably have played nearly half of their home league games by week 6 and have lost all of them. Can’t sell season tickets off that. Poor. By the time they play Sharks in January, I expect they’ll be better too. Can’t even predict a league win all season.

On the upside, Newport beat Cardiff Blues second team away again, this weekend. Something to cheer me up slightly, even if it is pretty par for the course.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:38 am

It does look grim for the Welsh teams 3 of the bottom 4.
Next week Scarlets will get well beaten in Dublin and who would back Cardiff in Parma?

At least one win is assured - they will go and draw now Very Happy

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:37 pm

The Scarlets one should have been a win. 9 times out of 10 they’d have won that, but for the brain fart at the end that gifted a try. That sounds like ‘ifs and buts’ but I doubt a player would make such a poor clearance kick again in the last minute or two to lose the game. Kick it anywhere else and Scarlets win I feel. Freak loss, you might say. But still p*ss poor though.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:49 pm

Kingshu wrote:Another weekend with regions having 4 losses out of 4. Unfortunately it looks like its going to be very difficult few tears for them.

Heard earlier this is the first time they have all lost a home league match on the same weekend. (though the question could be asked how many times have they played at home on the same weekend but still.)

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:56 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:The Scarlets one should have been a win. 9 times out of 10 they’d have won that, but for the brain fart at the end that gifted a try. That sounds like ‘ifs and buts’ but I doubt a player would make such a poor clearance kick again in the last minute or two to lose the game. Kick it anywhere else and Scarlets win I feel. Freak loss, you might say. But still p*ss poor though.

As soon as they moved within 6 points I knew we were going to lose that game sadly. Both us & the Ospreys snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, literally at the same time!

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:34 pm

I'm in danger of speaking in more 'ifs and buts' here, and perhaps not being doom and gloom enough, but a number of the Welsh teams have thrown away wins right at the end so with a bit more luck the table could look quite different.  Cardiff were winning right up to the last minute against Benetton and then that contender for worst tackle of the season gave away a penalty in front of the posts and a yellow card, and the game was lost.  Scarlets with the howler of a kick the other day leading to a loss right at the end.  Ospreys I think have lost towards the end of the Glasgow game?  Was that a late one too?  At a push, you could say Dragons threw away their opener v Edinburgh as they lead until something like the 65th minute.  They all just need a bit more in the mental department.  Some of these games have been really close so it's not like they're getting absolutely blasted with cricket scores (ignoring trips to SA)!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down