The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland - 2024 Victim Support Group Thread

+32
neilthom7
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
R!skysports
Yoda
lostinwales
Heaf
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
Heuer27
demosthenes
Tramptastic
EST
tigertattie
king_carlos
RiscaGame
Mcsweens
sensisball
BigGee
Highland Shaun
EWT Spoons
mountain man
mikey_dragon
TJ
bsando
RDW
Boston Exile
NeilyBroon
Hazel Sapling
jimbopip
George Carlin
36 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Scotland - 2024 Victim Support Group Thread - Page 9 Empty Scotland - 2024 Victim Support Group Thread

Post by George Carlin Wed 24 Jan 2024, 9:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Fixtures for this year's jamboree:

3 February 2024
16:45 GMT
Wales v Scotland
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
Referee: Ben O'Keeffe (New Zealand)

10 February 2024
14:15 GMT
Scotland v France
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
Referee: Nic Berry (Australia)

24 February 2024
16:45 GMT
Scotland v England
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)

9 March 2024
15:15 CET (UTC+1)
Italy v Scotland
Stadio Olimpico, Rome
Referee: Angus Gardner (Australia)

16 March 2024
16:45 WET
Ireland v Scotland
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Referee: Matthew Carley (England)

Let's get our post-traumatic stress disorder and excuses in early.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 28 Apr 2024, 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland - 2024 Victim Support Group Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland - 2024 Victim Support Group Thread

Post by BigGee Tue 19 Mar 2024, 1:39 pm

I think by his own standards, Finn did not have the best of tournaments, though his place kicking was excellent.

Turner also I think had a decent tournament and is still out on his own as our leading hooker.

Ben White has cemented his place as our number 1 SH and may well be pushing on for a trip to Oz with the Lions next summer. George Horne as always, did not make a good impression when given a start and Ali Price could possibly have played his last game for Scotland on that performance. I would like to see Dobie come into the SH mix sooner rather than later. If injury free, surely he will tour this summer and should be pushing for the back up place next autumn.

I see the autumn tests have also been announced today, a decent mix of tip sides to play, Oz and SA and also Portugal and and out of window Fiji.

This may well mean he can mix it up a little bit and try and bring a few players, who may have impressed on the summer tour, on a bit and get them challenging for the full squad.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Scotland - 2024 Victim Support Group Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland - 2024 Victim Support Group Thread

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 19 Mar 2024, 1:53 pm

BigGee wrote:I think by his own standards, Finn did not have the best of tournaments, though his place kicking was excellent.

Turner also I think had a decent tournament and is still out on his own as our leading hooker.

Ben White has cemented his place as our number 1 SH and may well be pushing on for a trip to Oz with the Lions next summer. George Horne as always, did not make a good impression when given a start and Ali Price could possibly have played his last game for Scotland on that performance. I would like to see Dobie come into the SH mix sooner rather than later. If injury free, surely he will tour this summer and should be pushing for the back up place next autumn.

I see the autumn tests have also been announced today, a decent mix of tip sides to play, Oz and SA and also Portugal and and out of window Fiji.

This may well mean he can mix it up a little bit and try and bring a few players, who may have impressed on the summer tour, on a bit and get them challenging for the full squad.

Yeah that's a good point Gee, a lot of our sub par tactics seems to have stemmed from Russell and/or his leadership issues.

I'm sorry to say it but I never want to see Ali price in a Scotland shirt again, I've not seen a player come on for Scotland and play that badly in a very long time. Definitely time to give up international rugby, all the best to him, had a great run for Scotland a few years back but time to step aside.

You're absolutely right that Ben white has had a great tournament by contrast and definitely could be competing for a lions spot if he keeps his current trajectory.

I think we need to get a better measure of Healy this summer, hopefully he gets more gametime as a result, if we could maximise use of his and Finn's contrasting styles we'd be in a better place. Opportunity for Thompson to try the step up too.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:33 pm

The drop off from Price has been startling and really odd considering he's 30. He's gone from a Lions starter and one of Scotland's most consistent performers, to really struggling with his basics. It's not like the Mish situation where you've got an insanely physical player and injuries just caught up. Price is a couple of years younger than Gibson-Park and Faf for instance.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:39 pm

king_carlos wrote:The drop off from Price has been startling and really odd considering he's 30. He's gone from a Lions starter and one of Scotland's most consistent performers, to really struggling with his basics. It's not like the Mish situation where you've got an insanely physical player and injuries just caught up. Price is a couple of years younger than Gibson-Park and Faf for instance.

I do remember him saying a few years back he had issues with keeping his weight down. Maybe it's a motivation/mental health thing? I'm not sure but we've definitely got form players available to us at scrum half. Dobie, Ashfar all waiting in the wings. I can't remember if warr was also interested?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:42 pm

king_carlos wrote:The drop off from Price has been startling and really odd considering he's 30. He's gone from a Lions starter and one of Scotland's most consistent performers, to areally struggling side packed with knitwear models.with his basics. It's not like the Mish situation where you've got an insanely physical player and injuries just caught up. Price is a couple of years younger than Gibson-Park and Faf for instance.

he had a flat right above the motorway junction at Charing Cross. It was a two minute walk from The Arlington on Woodlands Road...they made him move to Luvvietoon ffs!!! What do you expect?

jimbopip

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Mar 2024, 5:52 pm

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/news/24194683.scotland-accused-arrogance-wales-legend-sam-warburton/?fbclid=IwAR2t3vags8L5VR5ApwNLQg-i203U44ud94qhMqnGEHwyFSPpapYgr6QsBsE

Hard to argue with this!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 19 Mar 2024, 6:07 pm

Yup. Warburton is a stand up guy and won’t go chucking things like that out Willy nilly

What’s the odds the two players and Aldi and Dancer? (I’m not naming names so I can’t get in trouble)

On a serious note, I fully agree with warburton and Monye. If Scotland beat England then the casual fans think it’s a successful year and that’s it. Our focus needs to shift away from this chip on the shoulder anti English nonsense (note both of the last two first ministers of Scotland have only been seen celebrating with the team when we beat England) We need to focus on winning a championship, not just giving the old enemy a bloody nose
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 19 Mar 2024, 6:14 pm

RDW wrote:https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/news/24194683.scotland-accused-arrogance-wales-legend-sam-warburton/?fbclid=IwAR2t3vags8L5VR5ApwNLQg-i203U44ud94qhMqnGEHwyFSPpapYgr6QsBsE

Hard to argue with this!

This kind of mindset has been allowed to flourish under weak leadership and poor man-management as well as absence of a team culture where everybody works for each other. A few backs' bids for individual glory highlights this on the pitch and the lack of cohesiveness in a game plan.

I hope the Italy game put them back in their place. The fact this was after the Wales game too says it all, we nearly bloody lost that!

I'm not going to be surprised if, in a year's time, we are all back on the annual despair thread after getting the wooden spoon.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Mar 2024, 8:36 am

Debating this with my brother - he agrees with the sentiment but doesn't think 'arrogant' is the right word. He rightly points out that Scottish players and coaches get hounded in social media / press any time they show confidence in themselves or state belief that they can achieve something. There's nothing wrong with the group taking a positive mindset into games and tournaments, all teams do.

It's an impossible task as the group need to show confidence yet not be arrogant, celebrate wins but stay humble, be 'marketable' personalities yet not be arrogant and most importantly stay humble.

Who defines the rules on how much we can celebrate? Who defines the line between arrogance and humbleness?

There's a good chance in this instance both viewpoints can be right - it wasn't a good look how the players behaved and does point to culture issues in the team, but also it is an impossible task for players to walk this tightrope. And I feel like Scotland more than most other teams have higher scrutiny over this - mainly because we're on the cusp of achieving something but then never do.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 20 Mar 2024, 8:57 am

RDW wrote:Debating this with my brother - he agrees with the sentiment but doesn't think 'arrogant' is the right word. He rightly points out that Scottish players and coaches get hounded in social media / press any time they show confidence in themselves or state belief that they can achieve something. There's nothing wrong with the group taking a positive mindset into games and tournaments, all teams do.

It's an impossible task as the group need to show confidence yet not be arrogant, celebrate wins but stay humble, be 'marketable'  personalities yet not be arrogant and most importantly stay humble.

Who defines the rules on how much we can celebrate? Who defines the line between arrogance and humbleness?

There's a good chance in this instance both viewpoints can be right - it wasn't a good look how the players behaved and does point to culture issues in the team, but also it is an impossible task for players to walk this tightrope. And I feel like Scotland more than most other teams have higher scrutiny over this - mainly because we're on the cusp of achieving something but then never do.

I think back to when I played as a teenager, and no question it was straight into shirt and tie after the game, regardless of the score (I played at quite a successful club, certainly nothing to do with me!) we'd have a few drinks and a laugh then onto the next task.

I think you can be both confident and humble. Humility is a very important trait in any sport, or pursuit for that matter. If they were out in flip flops and their kit with the Welsh boys/other lads, that's a different story, bit cheeky but that's comradery. Turning up to an official event in your mucky kit with flip flops, that just shows you don't give a sh*t. It's just basic etiquette.

If Mr Greig managed to (just) keep his shirt and tie on on a night out, the players can at least change into theirs for an official post-match do.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 20 Mar 2024, 7:53 pm

As Nelly said, celebrating is absolutely fine, but you don’t do it at the official function hosted by the opposition right after the match.

Warburton’s comments instantly had me thinking back to when Finn got in bother after missing training and rocking up to camp after a few beers. It isn’t clear when the warburton incident happened. I really hope it was near the same time as finngate and since then that nonsense has been stamped out.

I know folk will bring up the old rugby values of sharing a beer with mates is part of rugby. It is at amateur level but the national team is a professional set up and should therefore behave in a professional manner
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 21 Mar 2024, 9:56 am

Agree with the above. This is the social media age. The faceless, chinless, professionally-outraged, red-pill word monkeys in their basements dictate what's acceptable behaviour and as we all know, everything triggers them. Why give them any rope?

More practically, I know that there are strict protocols about what you are supposed to wear and when, when carrying out any public-facing activity as a representative of the national team. Letting players ignore that is another sign of weak management. Warbuton was a Lions captain and his opinion on this is absolutely relevant and on point - as was his comment that (I'm paraphrasing) if you haven't won the 6 Nations on your last 25 attempts, you don't look too smart in letting it all hang out and acting like you're kings of the frat house, even if you have just beaten England again.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 21 Mar 2024, 10:04 am

Players cop a lot of grief in this social media age, but ultimately if you win it all becomes irrelevant.

Remember Faf in his budgie smugglers, if SA had lost then I suspect reaction may have been a bit different.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 21 Mar 2024, 10:30 am

mountain man wrote:Players cop a lot of grief in this social media age, but ultimately if you win it all becomes irrelevant.

Remember Faf in his budgie smugglers, if SA had lost then I suspect reaction may have been a bit different.

Faf was in the changing rooms at the time tbf. It only became a thing after pictures were released, then he did it more publicly.

I mean you wouldn't turn up to a work meeting in your joggers, same applies in any job, even if your working uniform is shorts and a rugby shirt.

I had work done on the house recently and I remember a builder coming to give an estimate in a dirty wifebeater looking like he'd not had a shower. I'd essentially decided to not go with him before he even sent me a quote. If he looked like that while working on site I'd perhaps be less perturbed but he hadn't even got the job!

Impressions are important, social media age or not!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 21 Mar 2024, 10:35 am

Absolutely although it is easy to forget sometimes these are young men, early 20s some of them so maybe we should be looking more at those in charge rather than players themselves in some circumstances.
If the players are briefed(excuse the pun) before hand about dress code etc and they then ignore then yes they should be rightly criticised.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 21 Mar 2024, 12:42 pm

Playing devil's advocate it would be good to get more detail on the event, timings etc.

By the time players (especially senior / well known players as reported) do a lap of honour, a host of TV and radio interviews, celebrate in the team changing room then share a beer in the opposition changing room (because, you know, rugby values) it could be a good hour, and a half after the game.

Did they then get a tap on the shoulder from the team manager saying they need to appear for an interview at a post match function?

If it was at the main event that all the players and coaches attend, then that's a different story!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 21 Mar 2024, 3:57 pm

Daily mail rugby reporter (not Robertson) is saying on twitter that Fergus Burke is on the shortlist to move to Sarries this summer as they are losing a few lads.

Unsurprisingly he’s SQ (with a name like Fergus Burke how could he not be?!), if he’s moving over it would suggest he might be giving up on playing for the ABs. Not saying he would play for Scotland, but if he’s in this hemisphere our odds have improved.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 21 Mar 2024, 4:13 pm

Crusaders are having a pretty miserable season. Will look on with some interest though, I think we need a couple competing with Healy for number 2

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 Mar 2024, 5:28 pm

Fergus Burke did his achilles last year and isn't expecting back until next month. Has been part of the Crusaders problems, he was the heir apparent as the Mo'unga replacement and then was ruled out. Rivez Reihana looked under prepared for the step up and when he was injured Taha Kemara looked a dear in headlights (albeit he's only 20). There's been various other injuries as well.

Getting Burke out of NZ will probably depend on whether he thinks he'll be in Robertson's plans for the ABs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainHaddock Thu 21 Mar 2024, 9:00 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
bsando wrote:Getting away from future of the coaches, who’s stock has risen and who’s has fallen during the championship?

Up

Christie
Harry Paterson
Kyle Rowe
Stafford McDowall
Cummings
Dempsey
Redpath

Down

Ritchie
M fagerson
Kinghorn
Bhatti

Bhatti hasn't even featured for his stock to drop!

I'd put Darge in the Down column. I'd argue that's not necessarily his fault. He should have been either full captain or just focus on playing. Maybe he should captain the summer tour or in the autumn. I think a decision needs to be made on captaincy ASAP.

It's a shame Big Richie is forever injured as I think he'd be a great candidate to take it through to retirement.

Totally agree with your point w.r.t Big Richie - I think that the pack plays so much better when he's part of it. He seems to galvanise the team, I think our discipline is better. Class act.

CaptainHaddock

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Fri 22 Mar 2024, 12:01 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Daily mail rugby reporter (not Robertson) is saying on twitter that Fergus Burke is on the shortlist to move to Sarries this summer as they are losing a few lads.

Unsurprisingly he’s SQ (with a name like Fergus Burke how could he not be?!), if he’s moving over it would suggest he might be giving up on playing for the ABs.  Not saying he would play for Scotland, but if he’s in this hemisphere our odds have improved.

Could he get a debut in the summer tour 🤔🤔?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 22 Mar 2024, 12:04 pm

Highland Shaun wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Daily mail rugby reporter (not Robertson) is saying on twitter that Fergus Burke is on the shortlist to move to Sarries this summer as they are losing a few lads.

Unsurprisingly he’s SQ (with a name like Fergus Burke how could he not be?!), if he’s moving over it would suggest he might be giving up on playing for the ABs.  Not saying he would play for Scotland, but if he’s in this hemisphere our odds have improved.

Could he get a debut in the summer tour 🤔🤔?

Depends on if he even wants to play for Scotland but before that he needs fitness and form before he's picked. The sign of a good side is caps not being easy to come by - lad hasnt even set foot in Scotland so why should he get capped? if he's broken why would anyone else be looking at him for a cap? nae rush. let the lad announce he'd like to play for Scotland before even being considered.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 22 Mar 2024, 12:21 pm

Probably also worth seeing if he even signs for Sarries (or anyone in this hemisphere) first

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 22 Mar 2024, 3:09 pm

The only counter to this argument, and my own, is Huw Jones - capped for Scotland whilst he was still playing for the Stormers, albeit, he was a regular, playing very well and winning trophies with them.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 22 Mar 2024, 3:16 pm

Absolutely, no sense in parachuting him in. We've not done something like that since Maitland, which was during the dark days. That being said Maitland was a superb recruit.

We're covered enough for FH, let's see if we can get Hastings some game time first!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 22 Mar 2024, 3:17 pm

Tramptastic wrote:The only counter to this argument, and my own, is Huw Jones - capped for Scotland whilst he was still playing for the Stormers, albeit, he was a regular, playing very well and winning trophies with them.

I forgot Huw!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 22 Mar 2024, 3:31 pm

Tramptastic wrote:The only counter to this argument, and my own, is Huw Jones - capped for Scotland whilst he was still playing for the Stormers, albeit, he was a regular, playing very well and winning trophies with them.

I was more coming from the point of view that if he leaves NZ then he's not going to get capped for the ABs. Nothing stopping us from capping him now (assuming fit and he wants to join up) but if he's leaving NZ then he's giving up on playing for the ABs.

EWT Spoons

Tramptastic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 22 Mar 2024, 3:45 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:

I was more coming from the point of view that if he leaves NZ then he's not going to get capped for the ABs.  Nothing stopping us from capping him now (assuming fit and he wants to join up) but if he's leaving NZ then he's giving up on playing for the ABs.

Yeah fair enough, as I said before will definitely follow the situation with interest!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 25 Mar 2024, 10:41 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
bsando wrote:Getting away from future of the coaches, who’s stock has risen and who’s has fallen during the championship?

Up

Christie
Harry Paterson
Kyle Rowe
Stafford McDowall
Cummings
Dempsey
Redpath

Down

Ritchie
M fagerson
Kinghorn
Bhatti

I'd put Darge in the Down column. I'd argue that's not necessarily his fault. He should have been either full captain or just focus on playing. Maybe he should captain the summer tour or in the autumn. I think a decision needs to be made on captaincy ASAP.
Darge reminds me of the Tom Curry Problem. We all love our opensides and we want them to all be the next David Pocock.

The hype around Curry on the last Lions tour was deafening and to my eyes he did nothing but look bewildered and concede penalties. I feel it's the same with Darge - test rugby is so much faster and harder than looking great for your club and whilst Darge has been competent for Scotland, it's a reach to say that he shone in any respect. It was interesting in the post-Six Nations that there was far more chat complementing Tommy Reffell than there ever was about Darge - something supported by Reffell's high turnover numbers.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 25 Mar 2024, 10:50 am

George Carlin wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

Up

Christie
Harry Paterson
Kyle Rowe
Stafford McDowall
Cummings
Dempsey
Redpath

Down

Ritchie
M fagerson
Kinghorn
Bhatti

Darge reminds me of the Tom Curry Problem. We all love our opensides and we want them to all be the next David Pocock.

The hype around Curry on the last Lions tour was deafening and to my eyes he did nothing but look bewildered and concede penalties. I feel it's the same with Darge - test rugby is so much faster and harder than looking great for your club and whilst Darge has been competent for Scotland, it's a reach to say that he shone in any respect. It was interesting in the post-Six Nations that there was far more chat complementing Tommy Reffell than there ever was about Darge - something supported by Reffell's high turnover numbers.

Darge has had a handful of games where he's stood out for Scotland, I think it's a combo of second season syndrome/captaincy confusion/pressure.

I think next steps has to be streamlining the leadership group. Basically as a senior player your only responsibility should be to maintain your discipline and support the younger players by absorbing more of the pressure. We need someone to actually lead tactics and acknowledge when change is required.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 25 Mar 2024, 6:30 pm

Word on the street is that Toonie is going.

Well I say going. He’s tipped to be a new director of rugby. I’ve no idea if that means he’s be hands on with the national team going forward.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 25 Mar 2024, 8:04 pm

tigertattie wrote:Word on the street is that Toonie is going.

Well I say going. He’s tipped to be a new director of rugby. I’ve no idea if that means he’s be hands on with the national team going forward.

Hopefully in the same way Scott Johnson was promoted.

All the best to him if that's the case, good recruiter but glad he won't be coaching!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 25 Mar 2024, 8:09 pm

Any substance to this rumour?

I have not seen anything to suggest it, though it could easily be a viable option.

My gut feeling remains that we need to get a new CEO in first and then they can lead with the subsequent appointments. DoR and national coach likely being the most pressing of them!

I still suspect this is more likely to be happening next spring than this one!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 25 Mar 2024, 8:42 pm

BigGee wrote:Any substance to this rumour?

I have not seen anything to suggest it, though it could easily be a viable option.

My gut feeling remains that we need to get a new CEO in first and then they can lead with the subsequent appointments. DoR and national coach likely being the most pressing of them!

Must admit I've not seen anything to suggest it...

Has tattie got a mole in the executive suite???

NeilyBroon

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 25 Mar 2024, 9:19 pm

Another thought... Will Petrie make a return to the SRU after leaving Ulster? He could be in line to replace mallinder of course.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 25 Mar 2024, 9:23 pm

Petrie is not leaving Ulster in a blaze of glory.

I am not sure it would be that great an appointment

Probably our most pressing need is soneone who understands the commercial imperative of getting the Murrayfield redevelopment on track!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

NeilyBroon and EWT Spoons like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 25 Mar 2024, 9:34 pm

BigGee wrote:Petrie is not leaving Ulster in a blaze of glory.

I am not sure it would be that great an appointment

Probably our most pressing need is soneone who understands the commercial imperative of getting the Murrayfield redevelopment on track!

Not saying it'd be a good appointment but seems very plausible by SRU standards!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 25 Mar 2024, 10:19 pm

I was thinking that McFarland might return to either Glasgow or the Scotland team if the setups do change?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Mar 2024, 10:37 pm

In other news, Finn kicked a drop goal at the weekend. Turns out it's the first of his professional career! And he even used his weak foot.

I do remember him butchering several attempts over the years.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 25 Mar 2024, 11:32 pm

king_carlos wrote:I was thinking that McFarland might return to either Glasgow or the Scotland team if the setups do change?

Another who has not really come out of Ulster with their reputation enhanced!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 25 Mar 2024, 11:37 pm

Yes it has been mentioned by Jason White, Rob Robertson and, just this past Sunday, Graeme McPherson in their respective columns in their tabloids so unfortunately there must be something on this 😕😕. Any idea when we're likely to hear anything because I presume their will be a 6Ns debrief/review in the not so distant future but I am getting increasingly worried now these rumours seem to be getting louder and more in the public domain :/.

On the weekend action, Cam Redpath also had a good game but Arron Reed was denied a try by a magnificent defence by Bath plus a certain Mr Maitland showed the national team that he is still capable of good things!

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 26 Mar 2024, 7:29 am

king_carlos wrote:I was thinking that McFarland might return to either Glasgow or the Scotland team if the setups do change?

McFarland wasn't treated very well by the SRU apparently. After seeing the decline in Ulster would rather he steers clear! The SRU create enough of their own missteps without adding new chaos!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 26 Mar 2024, 10:29 am

Highland Shaun wrote:

Yes it has been mentioned by Jason White, Rob Robertson and, just this past Sunday, Graeme McPherson in their respective columns in their tabloids so unfortunately there must be something on this 😕😕. Any idea when we're likely to hear anything because I presume their will be a 6Ns debrief/review in the not so distant future but I am getting increasingly worried now these rumours seem to be getting louder and more in the public domain :/.

On the weekend action, Cam Redpath also had a good game but Arron Reed was denied a try by a magnificent defence by Bath plus a certain Mr Maitland showed the national team that he is still capable of good things!

Not to cast doubt on that, but didn’t Robertson mention it in relation to White writing about it in his column, with White saying there was nothing in it, other than he thought Toonie would be suited to the role and might fancy it?  Also all 3 of them write for the same newspaper* so might be nothing more than just them building a bit of noise around each others articles.

It could very well happen, but I wouldn’t suggest there was a great deal of substance around this

*Using the term newspaper very loosely

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 26 Mar 2024, 10:37 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
Highland Shaun wrote:

Not to cast doubt on that, but didn’t Robertson mention it in relation to White writing about it in his column, with White saying there was nothing in it, other than he thought Toonie would be suited to the role and might fancy it?  Also all 3 of them write for the same newspaper* so might be nothing more than just them building a bit of noise around each others articles.

It could very well happen, but I wouldn’t suggest there was a great deal of substance around this

*Using the term newspaper very loosely

Must admit I'm with you and biggee on this, I strongly expect at this stage it's speculation at best.

It doesn't make sense to change things now, much as I'd like things to change.

That being said I'd welcome it if the SRU have pulled a blinder and got a top tier coach in to take the reins, offering toonie a new role to shuffle the deck.

I say all this and they'll have hired Duncan Hodge as new head coach with John Petrie managing the performance pathways.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 26 Mar 2024, 7:17 pm

Haven't seen much chat about it here, but let's take a moment to say well done to our ladies. Sharply taken tries.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 26 Mar 2024, 7:28 pm

jimbopip wrote:
king_carlos wrote:The drop off from Price has been startling and really odd considering he's 30. He's gone from a Lions starter and one of Scotland's most consistent performers, to areally struggling side packed with knitwear models.with his basics. It's not like the Mish situation where you've got an insanely physical player and injuries just caught up. Price is a couple of years younger than Gibson-Park and Faf for instance.

he had a flat right above the motorway junction at Charing Cross. It was a two minute walk from The Arlington on Woodlands Road...they made him move to Luvvietoon ffs!!! What do you expect?
I boycotted Woodlands Road (apart from the Stravaign) when they closed Uisge Beatha. My favourite old man pub ever.

The Bakehouse on Great Western Road is still open, right?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 Mar 2024, 7:38 pm

George Carlin wrote:Haven't seen much chat about it here, but let's take a moment to say well done to our ladies. Sharply taken tries.

Yes it was a great win. Dominated for most of the game - particularly first half - but struggled to get points on the board. Luckily Helen Nelson got all her kicks as that proved the difference in the end.

What an improvement our women's team have had in the last few years!

Last edited by RDW on Tue 26 Mar 2024, 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 26 Mar 2024, 8:27 pm

I didn't see it when we up at the weekend, but there is a new(to me) bar in the lane that crosses from Mitchell St to Buchanan St, Tabac. Highly recommend it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 26 Mar 2024, 11:43 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:

Must admit I've not seen anything to suggest it...

Has tattie got a mole in the executive suite???

I’ve got moles everywhere.

My arms, my back. The skin doctor is particularly watching the one on my right leg but thankfully it’s not been doing much.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 30 Mar 2024, 4:39 pm

Huge effort from Scotland women against the French who were strong favourites, losing 15-5 with France only scoring at the death. We kept in touch all game but couldn't do much with the slim possession we had, and France's bench brought a lot of power and impact that made the difference.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next