The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best 3 headers you have ever seen.

+9
CFCNick
Soldier_Of_Fortune
braveheart101
AberdeenSteve
sodhat
Kay Fabe
legendkillar
Brady12
marcellus wallace
13 posters

Go down

The best 3 headers you have ever seen. Empty The best 3 headers you have ever seen.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 am

The title says its all really. What are the best three headers you have ever seen during your years of watching the great game?

My three:

1) Yordan Letchkov (Bulgaria V Germany, 1994 World Cup QF)

I will never see a better header than this for as long as I live! The Germans were expected to trounce Bulgaria and took the lead at the start of the second half only for the great Stoichkov to level 20 minutes or so later. A couple minutes later we were treated to this gem. Letchkov's movement and subsequent header are simply majestic. There wasn't a Goalkeeper in the world that would have saved this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrjrYgGOlyY&feature=related

2) Keith Houtchen (Coventry City V Tottenham, 1987 FA Cup Final)

One of my earliest memories watching football. Coventry were a massive underdog against a Spurs team that had finished third in the table and a team that boasted a 48 goal striker in Clive Allen. On the hour mark Houtchen got on the end of a cracking cross and executed a brilliant diving header. Coventry went on to win the Cup thanks to a Gary Mabbutt og in extra time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5-ANGlhuM

3) Neil Ruddock (Liverpool V Man Utd, 1993/94 Premier League)

Possibly the first great match of the Premier League era. Utd took an early 3-0 lead and were looking unstoppable. Nigel Clough struck twice to bring that game back to within 'Pool's reach and then this. An absolute beast of a header. Looking at Ruddock these days makes you wonder whether you were dreaming seeing him in a Liverpool shirt. Looking at this and you remember there was a day when he justified his day job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxCx1oDEoZs

Over to you guys!

Last edited by FreekShow on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The best 3 headers you have ever seen. Empty Re: The best 3 headers you have ever seen.

Post by marcellus wallace Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:22 am

this was a belter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2kGcUAZ_ec
but this is the best ive seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TipSjsPA0xA

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

The best 3 headers you have ever seen. Empty Re: The best 3 headers you have ever seen.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:27 am

marcellus wallace wrote:this was a belter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2kGcUAZ_ec

The first one is an excellent brave header and the second one....well if that lad was Brazilian they'd still be showing that around the world today! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:52 am

Hernandez vs Stoke that was just insane... How did he get that in?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:10 am

Brady12 wrote:Hernandez vs Stoke that was just insane... How did he get that in?

..without breaking his neck! Quality bonce shot.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:25 am

The best 3 I have seen

1) Niall Quinn - Newcastle v Sunderland 2000 - The technique was just amazing and he timed the jump and the control of pace was fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2NovNBn6Qo

2) Teddy Sheringham - England v Greece 2001 - The run, The pace, The touch. Pure class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rknEOlAiMlM

3) Steven Gerrard - Liverpool v AC Milan 2005 - Superb leap and direction considering the cross was spinning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59jR4X2snHE

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:21 am

I like a deft header much more than one of pure power....

Good call on the Sheringham vs Greece Legendkillar

3 others of a similar nature I like include:

Marco Borgetti MEXICO vs Italy World Cup 2002
Jurgen Klinsmann WEST GERMANY vs Yugoslavia World Cup 1990
Claudio Canniga ARGENTINA vs Italy World Cup 90

My favourite power headers are...Cristiano Ronaldo's vs Roma in 2-0 champions league away win in 08

& Peles opener in World Cup Final 1970

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am

3) Chris Sutton for Celtic against Blackburn 2002
2) Roy Keane for Man Utd against Juventus 1999
1) Henrik Larsson's 1st header against Porto 2003

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 am

the-gaffer wrote:3) Chris Sutton for Celtic against Blackburn 2002
2) Roy Keane for Man Utd against Juventus 1999
1) Henrik Larsson's 1st header against Porto 2003

Loved Keane's header if you could pick one moment/goal that summed up his career it was that... With his team on the floor Keane picked them up...a real momentum changer... A captains goal as Clive Tyldsley described it

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 am

Especially when (i think) he already had a yellow card and had been ruled out of the final regardless

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:28 am

gazzyD wrote:Especially when (i think) he already had a yellow card and had been ruled out of the final regardless

Excellent point

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:43 am

I totally forgot Henrik Larsson's diving header for Sweden that won goal of the tournament at Euro 04

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Bang on with Gerrard in the CL final legendkillar, it was the first I thought of.

Another recent one is Messi against United in the CL final of 2009. Proves he can do everything!

A personal favourite of mine was Shearer against Germany in Euro '96 semi finals...but just because I was so into that game, and that tournament.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 pm

How nobody has posted this is beyond me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU15oPVh7Xw&feature=player_embedded

Laugh

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Brady12 wrote:
Loved Keane's header if you could pick one moment/goal that summed up his career it was that... With his team on the floor Keane picked them up...a real momentum changer... A captains goal as Clive Tyldsley described it
That quote can also apply to Gerrard's goal in CL Final

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Zidane v Italy in World Cup final Laugh

One I've just though of was Alex for PSV against Arsenal in the Champions League. Dont know if yers have seen that one but check it out.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Gus Poyet vs Man United - 1999-00
Poor defending and keeper but very brave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OlulRzU27Q

Drogba vs Everton - FA Cup final 2009
Great ball from Lamps to Ashley, good cross, great header

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxk3OH4grJY

Michael Ballack vs Man United - 2007-08
Great ball from Drogba, solid header passed VDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iETQZFgr8QY - 2 mins in

I know they're all Chelsea but it's hard to remember ones from other clubs

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Gullit v Soviet Union in 88 Euro Final
Zidane v Brazil in 98 WC Final
Gerrard v Milan in 05 CL Final

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 pm

braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

I'd say that was a touch generous. Capable of the odd outsiding Hollywood moment but I don't consider him fit to lace Keanes boots to be fair

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:42 pm

Brady12 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

I'd say that was a touch generous. Capable of the odd outsiding Hollywood moment but I don't consider him fit to lace Keanes boots to be fair
Obviously as a United fan you will prefer Keane to Gerrard. Am just saying that in CL Final Liverpool were 3-0 down and on a hiding to nothing and it was Gerrard who started the comeback.
Also it's not as if it was a one off as he scored the winner to ensure Liverpool qualified for the group stages of the CL, scored twice in 06 FA Cup Final when WHU should have won the cup.
To say that Gerrard isn't an inspirational captain seems abit unfair but hey thats just my opinion

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:57 am

As a Liverpool supporter this is probably my least favourite header of all time, even if he connected it with it perfectly....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHFsoA7I3Xw

Knocked us out. Sad

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:15 am

braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

Obviously as a United fan you will prefer Keane to Gerrard. Am just saying that in CL Final Liverpool were 3-0 down and on a hiding to nothing and it was Gerrard who started the comeback.
Also it's not as if it was a one off as he scored the winner to ensure Liverpool qualified for the group stages of the CL, scored twice in 06 FA Cup Final when WHU should have won the cup.
To say that Gerrard isn't an inspirational captain seems abit unfair but hey thats just my opinion

Of course he was outstanding in that game. The one very good player in an average team

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:17 am

I wouldn't quite say average Brady;

Carragher, Hyypia, Alonso, Garcia, Hamann and Gerrard were all decent players. Granted we had people like Traore, Dudek but I think it's a push to call the team average!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:18 am

braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

Let's be fair Brady, even as a united fan that was a top class header and as the captain set them back on their way. It's fair to say it was as important to Liverpool as keanes was to us

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am

Brady12 wrote:
Of course he was outstanding in that game. The one very good player in an average team
Fair enough it was an average team compared to the Liverpool teams of the 70's and 80's and the United team of the late 90's but Liverpool still managed to lift the European Cup, not bad for an average team is it.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:43 am

I love how the Chris Brass own goal is on here twice!! I was at that game and have to say it was funny, until we all realised because of that we were losing 1-0!!

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyqgMM5S_6U

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGAtyzp3R4E

This is worth a shout

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 am

legendkillar wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGAtyzp3R4E

This is worth a shout

I let my United friends have that because we still won the league that year. I was devastated after that game, VDS was brilliant.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:01 am

Manning-to-Manningham wrote:
legendkillar wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGAtyzp3R4E

This is worth a shout

I let my United friends have that because we still won the league that year. I was devastated after that game, VDS was brilliant.

Have to admit I am no a Utd fan, but I saw the match and I agree as you say VDS was on top form that day. Still a good header considering where he was and that he got it over Cech and Terry.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 am

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I wouldn't quite say average Brady;

Carragher, Hyypia, Alonso, Garcia, Hamann and Gerrard were all decent players. Granted we had people like Traore, Dudek but I think it's a push to call the team average!

Seriously I don't.... I respect Liverpool's acheivements in Europe throughtout the 70 & 80's a truely outstanding institution in World Football but 2005 was nothing short of a complete fluke.... If ever a teams name was on the trophy it was The Scousers that year (closely followed by Utd in 99)... Not 1 Liverpool player would of got in that Milan squad I dare say only Gerrard would have made the bench.
Gerrard & lady lick dragged Liverpool to the trophy

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:05 pm

I'd agree not many Liverpool players would make the Milan side of that night, but I think Gerrard would be starting 11, ahead of Gattuso or Seedorf for me, and the same for Xabi Alonso.

I'd swap Dudek for Dida too...bit iffy sometimes Dida.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:23 pm

sodhat wrote:I'd agree not many Liverpool players would make the Milan side of that night, but I think Gerrard would be starting 11, ahead of Gattuso or Seedorf for me, and the same for Xabi Alonso.

There's a case for Gerrard maybe but Alonso isn't in Pirlo's class

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Oh no, I agree he wouldn't be ahead of Pirlo, but perhaps Seedorf or Gattuso.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Brady12 wrote:
sodhat wrote:I'd agree not many Liverpool players would make the Milan side of that night, but I think Gerrard would be starting 11, ahead of Gattuso or Seedorf for me, and the same for Xabi Alonso.

There's a case for Gerrard maybe but Alonso isn't in Pirlo's class
He was suggesting Alonso would replace either Gattuso or Seedorf. Pirlo wasn't mentioned.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 pm

Ronaldo's header for Man U vs Roma? was an absolute gem - sprung like a gazelle out of nowhere and took any defender with him

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:36 am

Brady12 wrote:

Seriously I don't.... I respect Liverpool's acheivements in Europe throughtout the 70 & 80's a truely outstanding institution in World Football but 2005 was nothing short of a complete fluke.... If ever a teams name was on the trophy it was The Scousers that year (closely followed by Utd in 99)... Not 1 Liverpool player would of got in that Milan squad I dare say only Gerrard would have made the bench.

That Milan team were that great that they squandered a three goal advantage after being totally in control against a team that contained only one player worthy of their bench! Another one of your gems Brady The best 3 headers you have ever seen. 732107

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:35 am

FreekShow wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

That Milan team were that great that they squandered a three goal advantage after being totally in control against a team that contained only one player worthy of their bench! Another one of your gems Brady The best 3 headers you have ever seen. 732107

You never heard of an upset?

Ok lets go

Dida > Dudek..... 91 caps for Brazil including a world cup winners medal in 2002. Vs a guy who's spent the last 5 years getting splinters off Real Madrids bench
Cafu > Finnan..... I won't waste my energy typing
Maldini > Traore.... I didn't think the gap could get any greater in the matchup above how wrong was I!!
Stam > Carragher.... 67 internationals for Holland twice named UEFA Champions League Defender of the year 1999,2000. Played 38 times for England but quit international Football because he wasn't good enough for the team
Pirlo > Alonso... Basically revolutionalised the role of holding midfielder due to his ability to start moves from the back. The other was deemed surplus to requirements when Gareth Barry became available
Seedorf > Luis Garcia.... See Cafu vs Finnan
Gattusso > Riise.... Difficult to compare bascially a left back & Italy's best defensive midfield of the last generation, but I know who i'd rather have in my midfield
Kaka > Gerrard.... 2nd best South American player of Lionel Messi's generation. 2nd best English player of Paul Scholes' generation. Suprisingly British grit overcame Brazilian flair
Crespo > Kewell... No explaination needed
Shevchenko > Baros.... Wow Baros!! I forgot about him! I'm getting bored now as you can see

Anyone disagree??

It was a fluke an upset or the 'miracle of Istanbul as its normally refereed to....

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Mt1jD6eE0&feature=related

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:00 am

..and collectively good enough to squander a three goal advantage.

You're a legend Brady!

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 am

FreekShow wrote:..and collectively good enough to squander a three goal advantage.

You're a legend Brady!

It was an amazing comeback i'll give you that buddy

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 am

Brady12 wrote:
FreekShow wrote:..and collectively good enough to squander a three goal advantage.

You're a legend Brady!

Well I enjoyed it! 100/1 at half time to lift that trophy. If only..

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 am

FreekShow wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

You're a legend Brady!

Money can't buy moments like that though.... John Terry slipping & subsequent tears come to mind, couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:36 am

Brady12 wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

You're a legend Brady!

Money can't buy moments like that though.... John Terry slipping & subsequent tears come to mind, couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Totally agree. I still remember his smugness when walking to the spot, ball in hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down