The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amlin Cup groupings discussion thread

+12
Mick(TEFC)
ospreylian
bedfordwelsh
PenfroPete
munkian
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
wales606
Londonwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
Ozzy3213
Impossible Standards
Adam D
16 posters

Go down

Amlin Cup groupings discussion thread Empty Amlin Cup groupings discussion thread

Post by Adam D Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Pool 1: Stade Francais Paris, Worcester Warriors, Crociati Parma, Bucharest Wolves

Pool 2: Toulon, Newcastle Falcons, Petrarca Padova, Lyon Rugby

Pool 3: London Wasps, Bayonne, Femi-CZ Rovigo, Bordeaux-Begles

Pool 4: Perpignan, Newport Gwent Dragons, Exeter Chiefs, Cavalieri Prato

Pool 5: Sale Sharks, Brive, Agen, Club de Rugby La Vila

Are you all happy with the outcomes of your teams? Discuss below.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Amlin Cup groupings discussion thread Empty Re: Amlin Cup groupings discussion thread

Post by Impossible Standards Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:34 pm

As a Dragons fan yes. I think we have a chance of winning all our home games against these teams, also we should look to target 1 or 2 away wins! Very Happy
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Amlin Cup groupings discussion thread Empty Re: Amlin Cup groupings discussion thread

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Perpignan, Exter and Tuscany - doesn't get much better than that for us Dragons! Happy days!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Griff wrote:Perpignan, Exter and Tuscany - doesn't get much better than that for us Dragons! Happy days!

I bet the other teams in the pool feel the same way about visiting Newport Wink Whistle
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:45 pm

People only slag off Newport because they're jealous of its charm...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Not a bad group for the Dragons. They would be happy with that I would have thought. They certainly can win all their home games against those lot. The only problem for the Dragons and it's always been the case is that their away form always lets them down. If they are to win the Amlin then Darren Edwards and co must sort out their dodgy away form.
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Well, the Dragons have to face Perpignan who have real pedigree in the HC and Exeter who are no push overs.

I couldnt think of a worse team than Perpignan in the group (bar perhaps Toulon).
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Londonwelsh, never a truer word spoken. The season before last we won all but one home game and lost all but one away game in the ML. That sort of inconsistency can only get us mid table at best, and in a small table like the HC and AC mid table means no qualification!

Hopefully we'll get a good away support to help raise our game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:52 pm

The other difficult thing is that only pool winners go through, so no 'best runners up' spots. 5 pool winners will be joined by 3 from the HC for the 1/4s.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Delighted with that draw, the European adventure continues for the Chiefs, and we get to visit a bunch of places that we've never played at before - some tough fixtures in there, but that's what European rugby is all about Yahoo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Awesome, I'm a Dragons fan and my housemates are from Exeter way - should be some fun home and away outings for us Yahoo

Whether we do any good is another story though...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:05 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:People only slag off Newport because they're jealous of its charm...

It's that the charm you get at Argos - Elizabeth Duke ? Youknowsit Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Am reletively happy with our (Dragons) group. Would have liked to avoid Perp and admit to not knowing anything about Cavalieri but think we can get some good results out of this group.

Certainly better than propping up our HC group as per usual.

Looking forward to a trip down to Exeter for a few jars and would hope to at least get out of the group.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:50 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Am reletively happy with our (Dragons) group. Would have liked to avoid Perp and admit to not knowing anything about Cavalieri but think we can get some good results out of this group.

Certainly better than propping up our HC group as per usual.

Looking forward to a trip down to Exeter for a few jars and would hope to at least get out of the group.

bedford, you realise that you have to top the group to get out of it?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Aslong,

Wasn't quite sure how it worked but still think we can win all home games and as per usual hope to pick up some BP on the road.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Right, ok, furry-muff thumbsup

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:33 pm

What is the capacity of Exeter's ground BTW?
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Tough group to get out of, must beat Perpignan at home to have any chance, have to hope that you dont meet them early in the season.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Impossible, this year it was 10,700 odd, but I think they might add some more seats to the temporary South-West Comms stand,so call it 11,000 for the coming season thumbsup

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 pm

So,it looks like I'll have the Hound down here for Bordeaux and Bayonne,and Swanny for Agen:happy days,shame Asbo will be in Catalonia
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Cry

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 pm

OK, I'm happy with who Wasps have drawn - 2 French and one Italian team. The French teams will be looking to consolidate in T14 I hope!

The BIG problem is whether we get Thursday night away games; which we did twice the last time we were in the ECC. Bayonne & Racing Metro. Rome was a weekend blast though. Very Happy

I love the European away trips, but if it means a Thursday night game I'm doubtful about attending. Taking two days off work is a bit much. Plus we don't get to know the actual date and times of games until way too near the event.

All the fun of the fair I guess Smile

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 pm

"I love the European away trips, but if it means a Thursday night game I'm doubtful about attending. Taking two days off work is a bit much. Plus we don't get to know the actual date and times of games until way too near the event."

Agreed Hound.

All of Wasps opponents have potential for great away trips.
Bayonne is close to Biarritz & we had a great trip there in HC, albeit we lost!

Ideally I would love a Saturday game & travel out on the Friday then back Sunday.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 am

Anyone know why they can't tell us the dates of the games until close to the date? I know the TV companies want to show the best games rather than dead rubbers, but Sky on shows 1 per week I think. Surely they could guess, especially in this competition. They know that Wasp v Bayonne will be big, etc.! So, whay can't they just decide now??? Is it due to stadium sharing and waiting for football to get their fixtures in?

If they want rugby to grow and expand, espcially in places like Romania and Spain, then give fans the chance to travel. I'd love to go to Perpignan, always have, but if it's on a Thursday then it's unlikely. If they don't announce it til a few weeks before then it's unlikely also. Sort it out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

It's a pisser, Griff - but surely it isn't the TV companies that decide on the fixture list?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:10 am

Luckless, I'd like to think it isn't but I'm sure they have some say in it unfortunately. I can't think why else they wouldn't generate the fixtures when the pools are announced?

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Johnnys coming home Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:45 pm

I don't think the TV companies decide the fixtue list but they certainly have a say in when the games are played.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Some good games coming up for the Dragons but I suspect they will be third in the group based on recent history in the HC. The Dragons always do well against Welsh teams in the ML but when they play others teams they don't perform e.g., they beat Ospreys, Blues and then lose to Ulster at home. In the HC the Dragons could only compete with Glasgow at home so I don't see where this confidence comes from?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:36 pm

No stadium sharing as far as Bayonne or Agen are concerned:it would be doubtful that B-Begles would play at chabannes(35000 seater) so it's down to TV.

Any probs with SW France,contact TEFC!
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down