The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idea. Thoughts and Suggestions Please

3 posters

Go down

Idea. Thoughts and Suggestions Please Empty Idea. Thoughts and Suggestions Please

Post by legendkillar Wed 15 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

Hi Tennis Fans,

I was thinking of creating a sticky thread for a 'Tennis Hall Of Fame 606' for tennis fans to debate.

I have based this on the idea that exists in the Boxing thread.

What I would like to do is get people to nominate 1 man and 1 woman from 60's,70's,80's,90's,00's

We shall go for some Founding Members who may not have participated from those genre's.

I would like to elect 10 founding members not from the genre's above:

1) Bill Tilden
2) Don Budge
3) Fred Perry
4) Hans Nusslein
5) Ellsworth Vines
6) Pancho Gonzalez
7) Pancho Segura
8) Karel Kozeluh
9) Lew Hoad
10) Tony Trabert

Some ground rules for induction:

The player has to be retired.
The player has to have to have played in a tournament.
The player has to have had not been convicted of cheating during a tennis tournament or suspended due to drug use.

The 10 members I have elected are for discussion and if you wish to put other names forward or suggest otherwise I would be grateful. I would like them to be agreed by the fans on this forum before being inducted.

If you wish to partake I will post this as a sticky and I will select 6 players (men and women) from the genre's for selection to be inducted next week.

Please let me know your thoughts and any other idea's you would like to recommend to this subject.

Thanks

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Idea. Thoughts and Suggestions Please Empty Re: Idea. Thoughts and Suggestions Please

Post by socal1976 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 7:37 am

Sounds like a good idea Legend, I always have a tough time rating players I have never seen play. I guess for the oldtimers we just have to look at what they accomplished and their records.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Idea. Thoughts and Suggestions Please Empty Re: Idea. Thoughts and Suggestions Please

Post by dummy_half Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:55 am

Let's start with the ones most of us would agree on:

60s - Rod Laver. 2 Grand Slams, including the only one in the Open Era

70s - Jimmy Connors. Was number 1 and biggest tournament winner through the decade

80s - Lendl. Again, was the longest serving #1 in the decade, made most GS finals and was the most consistent player across all surfaces

90s - Sampras. Set new standards for number of slams won in the Open Era

00s - (Noting that you excluded currently active players, as otherwise it has to be Federer and Nadal) Gustavo Kuerten - the previous great clay courter, whose career and success away from the red stuff was compromised by injuries.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 16 Jun 2011, 11:35 am

Thanks for the input guys. If we say nominate posters to provide a player from each genre and we can discuss their merits, should be interesting to get peoples opinions Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down