The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"US Open without Tiger is like Wimbledon without Nadal/Federer"

+18
Hibbz
Yadsendew
NedB-H
dynamark
sharrison01
drive4show
Thomond
kwinigolfer
MustPuttBetter
legendkillar
Davie
LondonJonnyO
EmmDee57
super_realist
Maverick
Diggers
Rossa
detones
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"US Open without Tiger is like Wimbledon without Nadal/Federer" Empty "US Open without Tiger is like Wimbledon without Nadal/Federer"

Post by detones Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Just heard this ridiculous sound bite from Monty on Sky Sports news this morning. He also went on to say "our number one player, with all respect to everyone else, the number one golfer in the world is not playing"

I usually find Montys insight and opinion on golf generally excellent but this time he's way off the mark. I am not on here to Tiger bash, its been done to death before, but i feel its a bit rich to still refer to the number 12 player in the world whom has been freefalling down the world rankings the last 18 months as " our number one player". What an insult to Luke Donald I just don’t get Monty here. I throw the odd bet on the golf and In fact before Tiger pulled out I was trying to get odds on him missing the cut!

I have nothing against tiger, but this is not the number one player any more. Even if he was fit and all his off course distractions were not an issue who’s to say he still would be number 1. Tiger broke the mould, set new standards as all trend breakers do but i feel the game has caught up with Tiger and even if he was at his peak he would not dominate as he once did.

"Wimbledon with Nadal or Federer", not for me, I'm looking forward to watching a host of other favourite golfers, I don’t think this championship will miss Tiger as much as Monty protests. How can you not get excited at the prospects of Phil’s get out of Jail shots, of Bubba's dancing feet as he launches a drive away at the host of Europeans whom have a genuine chance to win. Roll on 3pm!!!

detones

Back to top Go down

"US Open without Tiger is like Wimbledon without Nadal/Federer" Empty Re: "US Open without Tiger is like Wimbledon without Nadal/Federer"

Post by Rossa Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm

It would be like Wimbledon without Federer or Nadal if they had both gone 18 months without a win on tour, without a slam in 3 years and were out of the top 10 and injured... but they are not so the comparison is ridiculous.

Tiger WAS the best player in the world, he no longer is... it had to end sometime... he may get to the top again but for now he is an also ran (not to denegrate his previous achievements)...

I'm on stag do this weekend and i'm not bothered about missing the coverage if i was going to put up with Monty's verbal diahorreah...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

"US Open without Tiger is like Wimbledon without Nadal/Federer" Empty Re: "US Open without Tiger is like Wimbledon without Nadal/Federer"

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:14 pm

I suspect what Monty was trying to get across is that golfs biggest name and most iconic player wont be there (and Im the last person to defend anything Monty says). Its badly worded though possibly the quote given has been taken out of context from a whole interview as is usually the case, but I can see what he is trying to say personally.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Saw it and laughed the moment he said as afterwards he did look as if what did I say that for! I get what he was trying to say but he was way off with the comment it has no similarity at all to the current TW situation

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:31 pm

For a man who is usually very considered and articulate in his interviews this is perhaps the most preposterous thing I've ever heard him say.

I, like Diggers suspect it has been taken out of context as even the most rose tinted of Woods lickspittles could not fail to admit that Woods is nowhere near the best player in the world, in reality he's not even near to being a top 10 player at the moment.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 pm

I can't take to Monty at all. Yes he does talk a lot of sense but it's his fake laugh and poor attempts at humour that grind my gears. His PR company must have told him to try rid the grumpy image he gave on the course but to me it comes across as very false.

In saying that, I'd rather listen to him than Sir Nick.

Looking forward to this week's action. Leaving work at 2.45 so that I see every minute of the coverage on tv.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Nick Faldo? I can understand you not liking Monty, but Faldo is surely the most arrogant, inarticulate, gaff ridden embarassment of an ex player ever to pick a mike up. He reminds me of Glen Hoddle in his lack of understanding of how to relate to the modern player.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 pm

At least Faldo has a right to his arrogance. He shone at the highest level.

Monty is like a goldfish in a bowl thinking it's a shark... until you drop a pirhanna in there.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:45 pm

s_r - that criticism of Falso could surely be applied to Sam Torrance tenfold!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by detones Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Just heard Monty giving out about the Draw now, " worse ive ever seen" how it Favours the US Players because all the players from the european contries have been grouped together. Like the 3 Italians and the Spanish, surely this is a good thing in a Major to be playing with players you comfortable with. Where's he going with this? Did he get a belt of a pro v yesterday and woke up with his head scambled!

detones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 pm

No. He's just being a Muppet.

Because of his attitude to the galleries he always got abuse from them. And because he is such an idiot he thinks that americans don't like European golfers... so expects them to get the same. What he doesn't realise is that his surly and aggressive attitude caused it all... and they just didn't like him very much. Other europeans never have the problem after all.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Davie, I absolutely agree with you, Torrance is a wretched commentator, thankfully expunged from the BBC, although he does have a great voice (unlike the dreary Faldo) for broadcasting, but he's just as hopeless a commentator.

In fact I can't think of too many commentators that actually do a good job, I don't really like Andrew Cotters "three words, deep breath, three words, deep breath" style either.
I quite like the input of David Howell though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:32 pm

I have to say I am a fan of Butch Harmon. I know he does back the Americans, but at least he is a great analysist. Monty drives me potty as he tries to sound to articulate. I like David Howell. I miss Peter Oosterhuis. He was good.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:39 pm

I like David Howell but must confess to liking Butch too!
I actually don't find him particularly biased towards the Americans and think on the whole he's pretty fair. Plus, like Howell, he adds some genuinely helpful analysis.
None of that makes him any less weird though!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 pm

Plus he looks like "The Thing" from teh Fantastic Four.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Cant stand the sound of Torrances voice, like Howeller but he sounds and looks a bit too much like Tony Blair, Monty is not as bad as I thought he'd be but I actually dont think he is remotely articulate but is quite interesting whereas I would say Faldo was articulate but sometimes the subject matter can be a bit dull.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Digs, Howell looks like Blair but Monty has got the Blair style 'umming and erring' down to a fine art!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:00 pm

MPB, I dont really mind listening to Monty commentate as for the most part it means I dont have to see him. Its the smugness he radiates that irritates me, plus the fact he must be one of the ugliest men on the planet.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:02 pm

I hear he speaks highly of you too Diggers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Ha ha
Worse than Shane Lowry?? (SR??)
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 pm

"Why does a boarded up building make a place seem even emptier than if there was nothing there at all?"
That was written about the beautiful Mohawk Valley, but it could have been written about the vacant structure that is now Colin Montgomerie. Only thing worse than some of the things he says is that sycophantic jerks still offer him the microphone.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:15 pm

MPB, no one on the tour is so ghastly to look at as the plug ugly and laughable frame of Lowry, not even Monty.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:17 pm

So we're mostly in agreement. Monty should be given to Tyler Durden to be made into soap
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 pm

He'd probably have a heart attack at the sight of a naked Helena Bonham Carter so everyone's a winner!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Apart from Helena
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 pm

she would be the biggest winner. She gets to point and laugh as he keels over crying for his "Mommy" and an ambulance.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 pm

MPB, Lowry has a heart attack at the sight of a bacon roll disappearing into the distance.
Not keen on HBC. Although I once heard a story about a window cleaner who saw her in the nude Robin Askwith style. Apparently she smiled and waved.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:35 pm

super_realist wrote:MPB, Lowry has a heart attack at the sight of a bacon roll disappearing into the distance.
Not keen on HBC. Although I once heard a story about a window cleaner who saw her in the nude Robin Askwith style. Apparently she smiled and waved.

Robin Askwith would have been invited in. randy
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:40 pm

I woul have broken through the window!! Yahoo
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:I woul have broken through the window!! Yahoo

As long as you remembered to shout "Surprise" you would have had legal grounds for dismissal of any case brought against you. thumbsup
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:09 pm

HBC was a stunner in her day, she's just gone a bit doo lally tap as she's got older and now dresses like a bag lady. I doubt she'd be too upset at seeing Monty starkers though , its not like Tim Burton will be doing any male modelling anytime soon so she's used to ugly blokes.
I will agree with SR though that you could put a picture of Lowry in the wiki web page for ugly and everyone would have a complete understanding of what the word meant.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Maybe about three years ago that statement would have been true. But now.....

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:29 pm

super_realist wrote:Nick Faldo? I can understand you not liking Monty, but Faldo is surely the most arrogant, inarticulate, gaff ridden embarassment of an ex player ever to pick a mike up. He reminds me of Glen Hoddle in his lack of understanding of how to relate to the modern player.

I never said I liked Sir Nick, in fact I said I would prefer listening to Monty than Sir Nick Doh

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:31 pm

No one is worse than listening to COD ROE, or Gary McCord!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Peter Alliss is by far the worst. I can't stand his pointless drivel about days gone by and how much better it was then.

Last edited by Maverick on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Complaint re: part of the post as offensive)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:46 pm

LJ:

Have edited your post as we had a complaint regarding the 2nd part of it, so have removed to keep the peace for all and happy to leave things at that

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Maverick wrote:LJ:

Have edited your post as we had a complaint regarding the 2nd part of it, so have removed to keep the peace for all and happy to leave things at that

Grass up the squealer Mav Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Just because someone disagrees with something it is not offensive. It is just not in their taste.

I disagree and don't like what I regard as censorship in this instance.

If the BBC can show information about the subject in hand and it is accepted then the standards just shown are to my mind draconian and more and more like what I expected from this.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 pm

I took offence and i haven't even seen it

Thomond - you think Lowry is better looknig now that he was 3 years ago?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 am

LJ what you said was in some people eyes offensive hence the complaint about it, it's not a case of censorship but a case of keeping the piece, personally speaking I saw the humour in your comment and was happy to leave as was but others were not so.

In fact if i were to edit every post that gets reported we'd have some bare threads and I include my own and posts in that, so in no way am I or the MODs trying to censor anyone in fact we give free rein but this time it deemed neccessary to step in

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:18 am

Mave you're not going to convince me. But we'll just carry on unable to say the things that we want whilst others with their attitude of being offended on other peoples behalf can sit with their guardian newspaper shoved up their ring and obtain moderation for others.

As I say... It's no more or less than was expected.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:58 am

i'm not trying to convince you LJ just saying how it is, like I said i wasn't offended nor would many of the posters on here be knowing the context it was meant in, but unfortunately we aren;t all the same and sometimes we have to accomodate all.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 am

That sounds like pandering to the minority then.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:22 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:That sounds like pandering to the minority then.

LJ i could say the same if I left certain threads to go unruly in that I'm pandering to the minority that are not offended! I'm not going to get caught up in a moderation argument, simply not everyone can be pleased all the time and if that means it upsets yourself or others that get moderated or in some case threads that don't get mod'd even after complaint then so be it.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:30 am

All this talk of moderation is offending me
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:36 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:All this talk of moderation is offending me

I'm offended by the fact that you are offended by the talk of offensive things...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:39 am

I think Boanerges(wonder what hes up to) would have made a good moderator. Rolling Eyes

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 am

dynamark wrote:I think Boanerges(wonder what hes up to) would have made a good moderator. Rolling Eyes

Mav and the other guys know what they're doing. They sometimes have to make unpopular decisions but the amount of tangents and rubbish that end up on here doesn't make it any easier.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:13 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:All this talk of moderation is offending me
Colin Montgomerie's commentary is offending me

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:20 am

Shane Lowry's appearance offend me, can the media not pixelate him on or use a circus hall of mirrors to make him look normal?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next