The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caroline Wozniacki - A Special Report - Sky Anytime

4 posters

Go down

Caroline Wozniacki - A Special Report - Sky Anytime Empty Caroline Wozniacki - A Special Report - Sky Anytime

Post by legendkillar Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

It was a report which was following Wozniacki playing in the Copenhagen Open. She seems a nice enough girl. Very down to earth.

They asked her about the no.1 ranking and not having a Grand Slam to her name. She manages to deflect the question by stating that she has that ranking because she has being playing the better tennis this year, which is a fair point. Her coach thinks she will win a Grand Slam and she says her time will come. There was mentions to Safina and Jankovic holding the no.1 spot without a Grand Slam title.

They ask the Williams sisters bout the 'creditibility' of the no.1 ranking in womens tennis and they say it is down to the consistency that the women play and hence the ranking. Wozniacki respects the Williams sisters and how they manage their schedule and that they have earnt that right. The Williams sisters resect Wozniacki as a player and feel she needs no advice really to win a Grand Slam title.

She seems really nice. It is good to see that side of someone in the womens tennis world.

Good viewing.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Caroline Wozniacki - A Special Report - Sky Anytime Empty Re: Caroline Wozniacki - A Special Report - Sky Anytime

Post by sportslover Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:17 pm

It's the old chestnut legend, you get to No.1 without having won a slam.

The same applies in golf whet the current No.1 Luke Donald who also has to win his first major title, similarly the previous No.1 Lee Westwood was in the same boat.

But do not take anything away from the Safinas, Jankovics or in this case Wozniacki.

You have to perform at a very high level to get there in the first instance and because certain players are not competing or performing when this happens it's no fault of the player that has risen to the top.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Caroline Wozniacki - A Special Report - Sky Anytime Empty Re: Caroline Wozniacki - A Special Report - Sky Anytime

Post by dummy_half Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

LK
Good article. It is though a bit of a shame for the WTA that they've had such a long period where the dominant players (at slam level) have not played a full season schedule or have been hampered by injuries, and that therefore getting to #1 has been based on playing to a reasonably high level for much of the season rather than being great.

I think Safina was unlucky to not take a slam title either on her way to the #1 spot or soon after - she certainly had the power in her game to do so, but has been so terribly limited by injuries since getting to the top.

Wozniacki looks like a 'nice' tennis player, but for me lacks the killer shot that would allow her to really establish herself at the pinnacle of the game - her best chances of winning a slam are obviously Wimbledon and USO, where her relative lack of power isn't such a drawback. For me though, she looks like another transitional no 1, with us still waiting for the next big superstar to emerge in the women's game.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by BigSal Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm

I've yet to watch it, but have got it recorded incase it drops off anytime.

Dummy i think the womens game is like you say waiting for its next big star. In your opinion do you think it will be a young up and comer or one of the current crop who just finally 'click' and become a dominating force on the tour and GS's.

I still think there is time for Sharapova to dominate the game again, barring injury & getting her serve back to where it once was. She's young enough, but wether or not she still has that drive to get back to the top is still be answered. I certainly thought/hoped she would complete her career slam this year at the FO, but it wasnt to be

Crying or Very sad

BigSal

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

BigSal

My suspicion is that it will be an up and coming player rather than one of the current top 20 - Sharapova potentially has (or had) the game, but I think the physical demands of her playing style have significantly compromised her (especially on the serve, where her shoulder problems will show up most). Another slam or two might not be beyond her if she goes into the tournaments healthy and fit, but I don't think her body is robust enough to maintain a consistently hgh level (same concern to a lesser extent with Del Potro amongst the men - both have the same lankiness to their physique).

As for who the 'up and comer' will be, I think your guess is as good as mine.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:13 pm

Hey D_H

I did feel sorry for Safina. She reached 3 GS Finals in the year she was ranked no.1 and I can remember her crying at the FO when she DF'd on Match Point to hand victory. She was a hell of a competitor and it is tragic to see her suffer with so many injuries and have her career on the line due to them. Very sad to watch.

It is a shame that the WTA feel that the Williams effect is causing 'weakness's' in the womens game. It shows just how good the Williams Sisters are to be able to come back to Grand Slam tournaments and win. It is a shame to see that Wozniacki's best performance at Wimbledon has been the 4th round even though she was Juniors champion back in 2007. At 20 she still has so much in front of her and like you say the US Open seems her best chance due to playing conditions and court speeds. She can develop her game further so she can be a contender at all Grand Slam events.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down