The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Left handed orthodox fighters and right handed southpaws

+7
Rowley
88Chris05
bellchees
Imperial Ghosty
HumanWindmill
Steffan
Il Gialloblu
11 posters

Go down

Left handed orthodox fighters and right handed southpaws Empty Left handed orthodox fighters and right handed southpaws

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:38 pm

Something that came up on another thread was the issue of boxers adopting an 'unnatural' stance.

HumanWindmill informed me that there have been many instances of lefties (left handed folk, not hippy liberals) fighting with an orthodox stance, whilst the case of Victor Ortiz being a 'right-handed southpaw' was met with surprise.

I had thought that southpaws held the inherent advantage of awkwardness over orthodox fighters. With the left handed vs right handed ratio favouring the right, surely a southpaw would be used to fighting orthodox fighters. Orthodox fighters would also be used to this, which is where the relative unfamiliarity would come when facing a southpaw.

Given this assumption, why would a left hander give up this advantage? It makes far more sense to me for a right hander to adopt a southpaw stance than the other way round, to gain the advantage rather than losing it, yet HumanWindmill stated that this was less common than a left hander fighting orthodox.

Also, which famous fighters fought 'wrong handed' (if that is an acceptable term)? I know that some could/can switch, but who excelled using only or primarily their 'wrong' stance?

I'm asking this with a view to learning something.

Cheers.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Left handed orthodox fighters and right handed southpaws Empty Re: Left handed orthodox fighters and right handed southpaws

Post by Steffan Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:44 pm

My brother is left handed but fights orthodox. Im right handed but can fight orthodox and southpaw plus I do Judo so I can beat him in a boxing match and also in a streetfight using MMA style throws, Kimoras and Armbars etc. Plus I can armwrestle better with my left hand. Not that this has much relevance to your topic

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Left handed orthodox fighters and right handed southpaws Empty Re: Left handed orthodox fighters and right handed southpaws

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:53 pm

Corbett, Jeffries, Carmen Basilio and Oscar De La Hoya are just four ATGs who were natural lefties but converted, Gialloblu. Gerry Cooney is another who is a natural lefty. I have no idea why they converted, though a plausible theory might be that, despite their enjoying the advantage of relative unfamiliarity and awkwardness for a right hander, they are also handicapped in throwing the ' power shots,' which might explain why so few southpaws have been regarded as murderous hitters. ( There are exceptions, of course, but the principle holds. )

Fascinating topic.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:57 pm

Marco Antonio Barrera was left handed but fought orthodox

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

Noel Gallagher is left handed but plays guitar right handed. Hendrix the master was left handed and played it as a lefty. Hendrix also got a lot of his inspiration from playing saxophone solos on the guitar. I dont really listen to Hendrix though. Doesnt rock my boat

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 16 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

I think Frazier might have been a lefty but fought orthodox.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

Miguel Cotto is left handed but fights in an orthodox stance.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

Think a lot of Ingle's fighters are right handed but fight southpaw. Ingle is of the opinion that as you use the jab most in fights and it is your bread and butter punch it makes sense to lead off with your stronger hand.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:06 pm

rowley wrote:Think a lot of Ingle's fighters are right handed but fight southpaw. Ingle is of the opinion that as you use the jab most in fights and it is your bread and butter punch it makes sense to lead off with your stronger hand.

That's interesting rowley, and maybe going against the grain somewhat.

A stronger jab with a weaker follow-up or a weaker jab with a stronger follow-up?

Maybe plenty of boxers would prefer their power to be unleashed in a bigger shot but if you're a jab-jab-jab kind of fighter, why not?

Nice information. Cheers.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

wasn't enry's hammer so strong because he was a lefty fighting off an orthodox stance ?
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

makes sense, if you have KO power in both hands, you may as well use the strongest hand to jab and wear down/damage opponent, as if you land the straight it would be a KO anyways.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 6:38 pm

Sonny Liston is often thought to have been a southpaw.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 17 Jun 2011, 3:52 am

alfredperami wrote:wasn't enry's hammer so strong because he was a lefty fighting off an orthodox stance ?

He was a plasterer by trade and his left was his trowel hand, and he used to claim that that was why his left was his better punch

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down