The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest Rivalry Ever!

+4
dummy_half
erictheblueuk
Guest82
hawkeye
8 posters

Go down

Biggest Rivalry Ever! Empty Biggest Rivalry Ever!

Post by hawkeye Sun 19 Jun 2011, 6:24 pm

Of course many tennis fans think that Nadal Federer is the "Biggest Rivalry Ever". Also from some of the upset expressed on this site about the draw offering the possability of a fourth Nadal Federer Wimbledon final some tennis fans are desperate for something different.

This is what the best player of 2011 (so far) thinks about the rivalry.

"I guess every time you expect the match between Federer and Nadal, it's always the biggest match that exists in tennis. I think they have a biggest rivalry from active players. Maybe the biggest rivalry ever. So it's just great to be part of the era with those two guys."

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2011-06-19/201106191308489707605.html

Pretty sure that Djokovic would like to prevent a fourth Wimbledon final between these two players but impressive that he is still able to appreciate them.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Biggest Rivalry Ever! Empty Re: Biggest Rivalry Ever!

Post by Guest82 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

I think Djokovic has matured a hell of a lot as a person in the last year or so and this has been a big factor in his results.

Maybe Murray would benefit from doing the same...?

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

"Biggest Rivalry Ever!" - hawkeye

-------------------------------

Try Evert and Navratilova, they played each other 80 times:-

http://www.wtatennis.com/headtohead/chris-evert_2255881_2188/0,,12781~2188~5744,00.html
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

eric

Great documentary on the Evert v Navratilova rivalry on last night (as part of the ESPN 30 for 30 series). I hadn't realised what good friends they were off court over most of their career (with the possible exception of when Martina was at her absolute peak - mostly because her coach was encouraging her to hate her opponents).

Although the H2H ended being nearly even (37-43), it was definitely a case of Evert dominating early (she led 12-2 for example) and then Martina getting the advantage including a streak of 14 wins in a row during 82-84.

The off court dynamic and the media profile also adds to this - the All American girl against the eastern European lesbian (even if she defected at 18) was certainly an angle that the US media played on.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by graf_the_greatest Tue 21 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

Navratilova-Evert without a doubt. Lesser rivalries are:

Nadal-Federer
Borg-McEnroe
Sampras-Agassi
Graf-Navratilova
Graf-Seles

These are, or were, the matches everyone hoped for & looked forward to.

graf_the_greatest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

Navratilova Evert was great! Contrast in styles, tough competitors also they appeared to like and respect each other.

Its funny I sort of remember womens tennis was criticised back then because they were such dominant rivals. Now womens tennis is criticised because there is a more even playing field...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 21 Jun 2011, 10:44 pm

Lendl v McEnroe for me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 22 Jun 2011, 3:58 am

Last edited by laverfan on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added links)

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 4:51 am

Can't comment on Laver and Rosewall as it was before my time. The only thing detracting from Fed and Nadal is that it has been such a one sided rivalry and for my money I like a little bad blood in a rivalry and Fed and Nadal are just too in awe of each other. Still, they have produced probably a handful of the greatest matches in the history of tennis (miami 05, Rome 07, Wimby 07, Wimby 08, and AO 09). At this point though because of its one-sided nature with fed gently easing into the twilight of his career I really think today's best rivalry is Novak and Nadal. Also I really like the bad blood that exists between Novak and Roger as well, it makes the rivalry every little bit the sweeter.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down