The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WIMBLEDON 2011 Nole Watch: Tis Wimbledon Eve, Let The Games Commence!

+15
ebar86
Duty281
Josiah Maiestas
parthi
novak143
Wooffie
denzilsmom
Haddie-nuff
cats_r_cool
HM Murdock
sportslover
Mad for Chelsea
socal1976
legendkillar
noleisthebest
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

WIMBLEDON 2011 Nole Watch: Tis Wimbledon Eve, Let The Games Commence! Empty WIMBLEDON 2011 Nole Watch: Tis Wimbledon Eve, Let The Games Commence!

Post by noleisthebest Sun 19 Jun - 22:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-XBDTQkv8k

This Nole fan has recharged the batteries, Roland Garros is a distant, very distant memory.......Wimbledon and the green, green grass of tennis home welcomes you, Nole!

May I be the happiest fan on Earth this time in two weeks time Smile

COME OOOOOOOON NOLEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Day 2, round one for Nole: Jeremy Chardy, a charming French that will feel the pain of revenge for all that the RG crowd put Nole through 2 weeks ago mad

Chardu done, Anderson dusted, now, let's see who can stop Nole Whistle

A quick "update" (sorry for being lazy) Nole bagged Baggy and laundered Llondra so now time for some (A)Tomic demolition....Wink

Well, as one of my favourite film quote says: ToMOrrow is A-NOther day.....and what a day it is gong to be....Sing a Tsonga six-pence....

Last edited by noleisthebest on Thu 30 Jun - 21:16; edited 4 times in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

WIMBLEDON 2011 Nole Watch: Tis Wimbledon Eve, Let The Games Commence! Empty Re: WIMBLEDON 2011 Nole Watch: Tis Wimbledon Eve, Let The Games Commence!

Post by noleisthebest Sun 19 Jun - 23:25

Well, I had my pre-celebratory glass of red, I've heard Equienoxe5 about 10 times, I think it's time for bed now.....because tomorrow IS ANOTHER DAY Yahoo

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

WIMBLEDON 2011 Nole Watch: Tis Wimbledon Eve, Let The Games Commence! Empty Re: WIMBLEDON 2011 Nole Watch: Tis Wimbledon Eve, Let The Games Commence!

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun - 23:27

My grandad would be proud of you NITB

kiss

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 19 Jun - 23:30

To your grandad:

http://www.tiggle-tiggle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/champagne.jpg

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun 19 Jun - 23:31

Awww he will be looking down with a smile

appletini

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 20 Jun - 8:36

Definetly, Nitb I can't wait for the tournament i hope that Novak gets it this year after how disappointing RG was.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon 20 Jun - 14:09

socal1976 wrote:Definetly, Nitb I can't wait for the tournament i hope that Novak gets it this year after how disappointing RG was.

RG WAS disappointing, but only for the crowd, as far as I'm concerned. Nole was not disappointing, the organisers were. I feel they have done everything to push Federer into that final (by scheduling Nole matches late and having him finish the following day, then that stupidity by Fognini, then the late scheduling of Novak Federer match contrary to all logic, as they played first during the entire torunament up to that moment)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 17:04

And here we goooooo, I missed Nole Crying or Very sad

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 17:22

ooooh, now Wimbledon has come alive to me Smile

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 21 Jun - 17:22

Hi NITB, how do you see this one going? I reckon Nole in four, or maybe three with a tight one (TB) thrown in there. He had breakpoint there after a good backhand pass, but Chardy served his way out of trouble and held for 3-2 in the first.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 17:37

Nole in 3

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 21 Jun - 17:38

Nole breaks; Some sloppy play by Chardy with a couple of poor approaches and novak will serve for the first set at 5-4. It was coming you have to say...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 17:44

Yes, it was just a matter of time before Nole starts reading Chardy's serve...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 17:50

Keeping an eye on that beautiful short angle cross court forehand...mighty weapon on ANY suface...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 21 Jun - 17:54

Chardy has rather lost the plot in this set, I smell a bagel coming

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 18:34

He,he.... Very Happy

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 18:35

Or should it have been: he (6:4) he (6:1) he (6:1)

Well done NOLEEE Yahoo

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 21 Jun - 19:11

To be honest Chardy was dreadful.

Not much of a challenge for any of the top players.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 21:37

sportslover wrote:To be honest Chardy was dreadful.

You forget that Nole is the best returner in the business and once he cracaked Chardy's serve, the game was over; Chardy panicked as well, as Nole disarmed him, I reckon his invincible aura is still working Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 21 Jun - 22:32

noleisthebest wrote:

You forget that Nole is the best returner in the business and once he cracaked Chardy's serve, the game was over; Chardy panicked as well, as Nole disarmed him, I reckon his invincible aura is still working Wink

Easy there, he is ONE of the best returners along with the likes of Nadal & Murray!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 22:37

sportslover wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Easy there, he is ONE of the best returners along with the likes of Nadal & Murray!

No, Nole is better, unlike Murray who gets the ball in and then keeps pushing it around, Nole pounces and converts straight away .

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 21 Jun - 22:46

noleisthebest wrote:
sportslover wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

No, Nole is better, unlike Murray who gets the ball in and then keeps pushing it around, Nole pounces and converts straight away .

🤦 You really are obsessed with him aren't you.

Up until the middle of 2010 he couldn't buy a serve never mind return one Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 21 Jun - 22:50

I disagree with Djokovic being a better returner than Murray. He's certainly not a more aggressive one. How many returns did Djokovic return for clean winners today? Or hit so well he could follow it in for an easy volley?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 23:03

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I disagree with Djokovic being a better returner than Murray. He's certainly not a more aggressive one. How many returns did Djokovic return for clean winners today? Or hit so well he could follow it in for an easy volley?

🤦

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 21 Jun - 23:03

sportslover wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
sportslover wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

🤦 You really are obsessed with him aren't you.

Up until the middle of 2010 he couldn't buy a serve never mind return one Laugh

He still managed to win 2 slams, though clap

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 22 Jun - 0:09

I dunno that my response deserved that. I was merely saying that given how many clean winners both hit off the return of serve, Murray seems to me to be the more aggressive returner. If you believe otherwise, fine, but please don't denigrate other's opinions like that...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun - 4:36

Sportslover, Djokovic is the best returner in the business he lead the AtP in break percentage in 2010 and is leading again in 2011. By the way who returns Roger better Andy or Novak? Even in the matches Novak loses to Roger he does a good job of getting into Roger's serve but usually struggles on his serve when he loses. Chardy is a much tougher opponent than Russel, Kukushin, or whatever Spanish clay courter murray got and lost a set to. It just seems funny to me that Novak gets the toughest first round match of any of the big 4, and probably the toughest second round match as well. Federer meanwhile goes from playing absolute garbage in the first round in terms of opposition to possilby even bigger garbage in the second round. Novak meanwhile will spend three sets trying to return 145 mile per serves on grass.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun - 7:07

Nitb, the french in my mind as I have stated over and over again, was definetly a hostile environment for him and he got no favors with the draw or the scheduling from our gallic friends. Unfortunately, the same thing is coming into play again at wimby. He is number 2 but again he gets Roger in his half for 13th time out of 17. That is the equivalent of flipping a coin 17 times and getting heads 13 times, and now he is currently on a streak of 5 in a row. After getting the toughest opponent of any of the top 4, (ps what are wildcards and qualifiers for), he gets 145 mile per hour serving Kevin Anderson in round 2. For me that is a big scare match. If he wins the Anderson match he is probably a safe bet at least to the semis. But Novak hasn't had a lot of match time on grass and then all of sudden to look down the barrel of 145 mph coming at you on a grass court is going to be tough.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 22 Jun - 8:23

Murray leads the stats in points won on returns of first serve. That for me shows where MFC is coming from.

The best returner of serve is certainly an open debate. Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun - 8:33

Legendkillar, yes and Djokovic leads the ATP tour in breaking his opponents 41 percent of the time, and lead the tour last year in breaking his opponents. If murray is so much better and more aggressive in the return than he should really dominate the second serve return numbers.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 22 Jun - 8:40

He should no doubt in that socal. I think the reason Murray is highly regarded as the best returner is because naturally it was the one part of his game when he burst onto the scene that was near 'perfect'

I think what is impressive in relation to Djokovics stats is that he has achieved them playing in less tournaments than the others in the 'big' 4

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun - 8:53

Legend murray is a great returner, but i would say novak is maybe a half degree better in that department. I actually like Murray's backhand a half degree better than Novak's great backhand but again we are talking about a difference that is very miniscule in both departments.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 22 Jun - 8:57

I agree, the comparisons are miniscule and I think is what makes it great for debating as you tend to find people fall on one side or the other and no 'sitting on the fence' views thumbsup

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 22 Jun - 10:52

I agree that it's tight between both of them, which is why I found the facepalm a bit much. My personal view is that Murray is the more aggressive returner. My main arguments are the number of clean winners he hits off the return, and how far inside the baseline he stands to return the second serve. However I would say Djokovic is a bit more consistent, and probably gets more returns in play (these stats aren't kept unfortunately, but I would say it's the case).

As for Nadal, he's also an excellent returner, but IMO not quite up to the level of the first two, and the reason his stats are so good has more to do with what a great rallier he is.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun - 10:59

MFC, nadal is really tough to ace and that has to be a component of returning. Although I agree his not as aggressive on the return as the other two. But I would still rate Djoko as the better returner, I think he takes the second serve extremely early and aggressively and hits a lot of winners off the second. Maybe they should could a statsitic for winners off of 1st and second set returns? What I find odd is that in tennis they don't keep track of winners on the ATP site at all, I think errors and winners should be tracked as well as serving and returning. Call me a stat junky if you will.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 22 Jun - 11:05

yeah I'd like to see some more of the return stats too. Points won off first/second serve, BPs converted and percentage of service breaks are all very good, but some more info would have been nice. Then again, I'm a stats freak.

I have no problem with you considering Djokovic to be the best returner, I rank him and Murray equal in terms of returns (there was an article a while back with top 5 of various categories, and I think i ranked them equal first with Nadal third). All about personal preferences really...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 22 Jun - 11:23

socal1976 wrote:Legend murray is a great returner, but i would say novak is maybe a half degree better in that department. I actually like Murray's backhand a half degree better than Novak's great backhand but again we are talking about a difference that is very miniscule in both departments.

When you get a comment like "No, Nole is better, unlike Murray who gets the ball in and then keeps pushing it around, Nole pounces and converts straight away" from an over euphoric nitb it does grind on a bit!

I like Nole after Murray but would never go over the top, and remember Murray was a couple of points away from ending his long unbeaten run until Federer did, so he must be good at something and that includes returning noles serve (and getting it back and winning point from it)

Wink

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun - 11:27

Ease up on Nitb, she is passionate about her player. I think you guys are getting a bit edgy over a simple graphic she added to her post.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 22 Jun - 11:30

I am for one not coming down on NITB, as I do admire her passion. But the forum is for debate and that does include engaging others views and being respectful of those views. Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 22 Jun - 12:03

OK, I won't say ANYTHING regarding Murray any more (after this post)....

I think people here obsess with individual statistics, because that is what the pundits go on about all the time, so if he is not winning slams, let's crown him the best returner, the best backhand etc...I mean, who cares?
Novak and Andy have very similar game/arsenal of shots, but I suppose the main and biggest difference shows exactly after that brilliant return of serve they both have: Novak goes for it and tries to switch to attack as soon as he can, Murray on the other hand is happy to counter-punch and draw the error out.
Murray is my favourite counter puncher and I don't mean anything negative about it, he has a great touch and is really at his best in that mode.
However, he needs to learn and implement the optimal time to switch to offensive AS SOON AS THE CHANCE COMES, and he doesn't do it.
That particular aspect has cost him so dearly against Nole at AO , Nole was all out, firing on all cylinders, Murray was overwhelmed and didn't use some really good moments to attack. Watch it on Youtube, it's that long point towards the very end of the first set in which he's got Nole on the ropes and instead of putting a volley away he hands it right back for Nole to recover and win the point, set and eventually the match.
I think Murray has come a long way during the clay season, but his slam winning game is still in the evolving stage, just like for Nole he needs a few things to fall into place first.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 22 Jun - 12:06

NITB no-one is asking you not speak your views on Murray or any other player for that matter. I think it is just that I think MFC wanted to debate and felt the facepalm was just a tad heavy handed.

Your contributions are always welcomed and I enjoy reading them as do many other posters on this forum Very Happy

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 22 Jun - 12:14

I got a face palm and a"obsessed" tag by Sportslover and thought nothing of it, it just shows people are passionate and love tennis, I'm all for great debates within the limits of my knowledge, of course.
I suppose , I have developed thick skin having had years of practice on 606 when I was probably the only Novak fan and was called all sorts of names (incl a wifebeater Doh ) and in all honesty don't remember EVER using vulgar or insulting language towards anyone, it just isn't my style.

I am beginning to realise I may come across as over the top and to people who don't "know" me that probably sounds too much. Well, I won't make any excuses for my passion but will use those facepalms even more sparingly now boxing

BTW, it is absolutely bucketing it down in Berks!!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun - 12:23

Nitb, your passion is great, it is just different now that Novak is winning it has silenced some critics but it also has in some ways added to the controversy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 22 Jun - 12:24

noleisthebest wrote:OK, I won't say ANYTHING regarding Murray any more (after this post)....

I think people here obsess with individual statistics, because that is what the pundits go on about all the time, so if he is not winning slams, let's crown him the best returner, the best backhand etc...I mean, who cares?
Novak and Andy have very similar game/arsenal of shots, but I suppose the main and biggest difference shows exactly after that brilliant return of serve they both have: Novak goes for it and tries to switch to attack as soon as he can, Murray on the other hand is happy to counter-punch and draw the error out.
Murray is my favourite counter puncher and I don't mean anything negative about it, he has a great touch and is really at his best in that mode.
However, he needs to learn and implement the optimal time to switch to offensive AS SOON AS THE CHANCE COMES, and he doesn't do it.
That particular aspect has cost him so dearly against Nole at AO , Nole was all out, firing on all cylinders, Murray was overwhelmed and didn't use some really good moments to attack. Watch it on Youtube, it's that long point towards the very end of the first set in which he's got Nole on the ropes and instead of putting a volley away he hands it right back for Nole to recover and win the point, set and eventually the match.
I think Murray has come a long way during the clay season, but his slam winning game is still in the evolving stage, just like for Nole he needs a few things to fall into place first.

Thats more like it, respect where its due thumbsup

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 22 Jun - 12:29

socal1976 wrote:Nitb, your passion is great, it is just different now that Novak is winning it has silenced some critics but it also has in some ways added to the controversy.
Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 22 Jun - 12:32

noleisthebest wrote:I got a face palm and a"obsessed" tag by Sportslover and thought nothing of it, it just shows people are passionate and love tennis, I'm all for great debates within the limits of my knowledge, of course.
I suppose , I have developed thick skin having had years of practice on 606 when I was probably the only Novak fan and was called all sorts of names (incl a wifebeater Doh ) and in all honesty don't remember EVER using vulgar or insulting language towards anyone, it just isn't my style.

I am beginning to realise I may come across as over the top and to people who don't "know" me that probably sounds too much. Well, I won't make any excuses for my passion but will use those facepalms even more sparingly now boxing

BTW, it is absolutely bucketing it down in Berks!!!!!

I don't know how an earth someone could resort to such an insult! furious

It is bucketing down here in Sussex.

It is nothing major NITB, just didn't want to see some of my favourite posters fall out with each other Hug

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 22 Jun - 12:32

Just for you socal, the stats when they play Federer.

Murray:
2005 Bangkok: broke once in eleven Federer service games
2006 Cincinati: 7/11 (!)
2008 Dubai: 2/15
2008 Us Open: 2/14
2008 Madrid: 2/15
2008 Shanghai: 6/17
2009 Doha: 4/14
2009 IW: 5/13
2009 Cincinati: 0/10
2009 London: 2/12
2010 AO: 2/16
2010 Toronto: 5/12
2010 Shanghai: 4/9
2010 London: 0/9

Total: 42/178
All on hard court

Djokovic:
2006 Monte Carlo: 2/12
2007 AO: 1/15
2007 Dubai: 2/16
2007 Canada: 3/16
2007 Us Open: 2/17
2008 AO: 4/16
2008 Monte Carlo: 1/7
2008 Us Open: 2/21
2009 Miami: 6/13
2009 Rome: 5/14
2009 Cincinati: 1/10
2009 Us Open: 1/18
2009 Basel: 4/14
2010 Toronto: 3/14
2010 Us Open: 6/25
2010 Shanghai: 1/11
2010 Basel: 1/13
2010 London: 1/9
2011 AO: 5/17
2011 Dubai: 4/9
2011 IW: 5/13
2011 RG: 4/21

Total: 64/321
Four on clay, others on hard, stats missing from the Davis Cup match in 2006.

So over the years Murray has actually broken Federer comparatively more often...

PS: sorry NITB, I think I over-reacted a touch too, it was late and I was tired.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 22 Jun - 14:26

Hug for all

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 23 Jun - 16:06

Did anyone see the match?

Any (nice) thoughts) Wink

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 23 Jun - 16:15

I didn't see the match i'm afraid NITB. I think MFC did and he will be on later. Could you drop me a pm so I can reply, just want to get your thoughts on something. Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next